Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

True enough, but they are has-beens now due to their absence from the screens as a result of Clarksons arrogance and assault.

Confined to some obscure streaming medium their viewership will decline and they will sink into oblivion.

Won't be the same in my opinion.

You might think that, but Amazon have Prime members numbering "tens of millions" (they don't disclose actual figures) and have spent $1.3 Billion on Instant Video in '14.

BBC iPlayer viewership fell by 72 million after Clarkson got sacked. That's a hell of a lot, for a hasbeen.

Amazon are definitely winners out of this, they'll be able to distribute Instant Video, DVD, and all the other lovely money makers that Top Gear has/had for less, and increase their market share of the On Demand TV streaming. For a lot of people, they'll hear about Prime/Instant Video, and think, "jaysis, what's that? Look, they have Top Gear/Clarkson, May & Hamster go Wild," and see it as a viable alternative to Netflix.

Don't get me wrong, I think the BBC were right to not renew the contract with Clarkson, they had no other choice. But they've lost out on their biggest draw, not some waning show they couldn't wait to get rid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You might think that, but Amazon have Prime members numbering "tens of millions" (they don't disclose actual figures) and have spent $1.3 Billion on Instant Video in '14.

BBC iPlayer viewership fell by 72 million after Clarkson got sacked. That's a hell of a lot, for a hasbeen.

Amazon are definitely winners out of this, they'll be able to distribute Instant Video, DVD, and all the other lovely money makers that Top Gear has/had for less, and increase their market share of the On Demand TV streaming. For a lot of people, they'll hear about Prime/Instant Video, and think, "jaysis, what's that? Look, they have Top Gear/Clarkson, May & Hamster go Wild," and see it as a viable alternative to Netflix.

Don't get me wrong, I think the BBC were right to not renew the contract with Clarkson, they had no other choice. But they've lost out on their biggest draw, not some waning show they couldn't wait to get rid off.

Good points there, in fairness, however personally I think they have shot their bolt.

When the new TG on BBC gets up and running with a fresh outlook and team, these lads will look tired and out of date.

Nah Sof, these lads are circling the drain career wise, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Confined to some obscure streaming medium their viewership will decline and they will sink into oblivion.

Most of the media I consume is streamed at this stage.
    I watch very little terrestrial tv and I'm sure it's the same for many.

Only one way this trend is going, and it's not in the direction of oblivion.

Most of the media I consume is streamed at this stage.
    I watch very little terrestrial tv and I'm sure it's the same for many.

Only one way this trend is going, and it's not in the direction of oblivion.

Not referring to the trend Barely, just the outdated TG concept and its former presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Nah

Don't think so, past their sell-by.

Yesterday's men , on the way out.

So you keep saying. I still disagree and stand by the above based on the popularity of the trio/format around the world and the vast sums of revenue that they generated for the bbc. Whatever your personal dislike of the man may tell you I can assure you that the general public have short memories and money talks

• Advertisement

BBDBB wrote: »
    So you keep saying. I still disagree and stand by the above based on the popularity of the trio/format around the world and the vast sums of revenue that they generated for the bbc. Whatever your personal dislike of the man may tell you I can assure you that the general public have short memories and money talks

That's fair enough comment, however in my opinion, removed from the BBC and its expertise,and moved to an obscure streaming service, coupled with a new modern and less ' angry old mannish' approach from the BBC, this frankly, outdated trio will sink into oblivion, probably trying to produce more 'outrages' to keep their name in the media.

Could very well be wrong, though,as you said, the general public have short memories and at times questionable taste.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Been gone too long now
    Eh… even if they were still at the BBC the series would have ended and you'd have to wait for the autumn schedule to come around.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Eh… even if they were still at the BBC the series would have ended and you'd have to wait for the autumn schedule to come around.

Correct Wibbs,eh,.... well spotted...point of course is that they won't be there for the Autumn Schedule on the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That's fair enough comment, however in my opinion, removed from the BBC and its expertise,and moved to an obscure streaming service, coupled with a new modern and less ' angry old mannish' approach from the BBC, this frankly, outdated trio will sink into oblivion, probably trying to produce more 'outrages' to keep their name in the media.

Could very well be wrong, though,as you said, the general public have short memories and at times questionable taste.

you have a lot of opinions on something you never watch

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I don't have the exact details to hand but the expertise would be within the production company wouldn't it rather than the bbc? Ie the company set up and run by clarkson and Andy wilman. Between them I reckon they could employ, organise and run a production crew, they've done so around the world in some extreme situations and harsh environments and made award winning, successful TV shows

The way TV is made, distributed and watched has radically changed within our lifetimes and streaming is more likely to be the growing medium. The bbc is becoming more marginalised and less of an important voice in its field. I think it recognises this and is trying to adapt but it's a losing battle

Finally I think it's time you accepted that the world (and we are talking about a world wide audience for this product) is not as enlightened or as sophisticated in its taste as you are. Grumpy old man berating things and driving fast cars with enthusiasm of an 8 year old is without question a popular formula with its worldwide audience and that hasn't changed because a production assistant got a belt in the mouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Just remember that most of the people who watched TG didnt have access to BBC, so they watched it on their local channels in the Middle East, Asia and Africa, thats where most of the money was coming from. There is nothing to stop Amazon showing the program on their streaming service and selling it to other broadcasters for terrestrial tv in their areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Correct Wibbs,eh,.... well spotted...point of course is that they won't be there for the Autumn Schedule on the BBC.

I highly doubt waiting until next year warrants "gone too long". People underestimate Amazon tv. It might not be as big as Netflix but something that is big is the number of Amazon Prime accounts.

I know a lot of people who are Prime users just for deals and delivery and have never used the tv side of things, they all said they will when the new show comes out. I imagine this will happen a lot with many of the millions of Prime users.

Given the large amount of people on the subscription I imagine the new show will do swimingly viewer wise. Will it be as good? Who knows. It will have a larger budget and audience though, and already a three year contract.

Amazon is also throwing lots of funding into the tv side of Prime. With Woody Allen and Ridley Scott both recently announced as being involved in Amazon exclusive programs/movies.

Anyone thinking that the new show will bomb I don't understand at all. Many old viewers of Clarkson, Hammond and May will watch their new show just to see what its about, not counting old fans.

The new format Top Gear could turn out well too and make some good competition for the new show witht he exiles :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

People say that as if it's some sort of shocking revelation, when in fact it's the precise reason the show is so popular. It's not a new observation.

The truth is there's no real need for a indepthly informative motoring show these days. Anyone wanting precise technical details of cars has easier access to it now more than ever through the internet.

Top Gear is/was an entertainment show first and foremost. I never watched it because I was overly interested in cars anyway.

You can either love or hate Clarkson, but there's no denying that he and the other two have a great chemistry on screen, and produce something that many people find entertaining.

Nor did I present it as such. My next sentence should have made that clear.

I disagree that there isn't a need for an informative show: there is certainly a need for a segment in any motoring show looking at comparable models and particularly the whole electric and hybrid thing now.

Clarksons buffoonery and the ridiculous road trips generate lots of money. But put it in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Nor did I present it as such. My next sentence should have made that clear.

I disagree that there isn't a need for an informative show: there is certainly a need for a segment in any motoring show looking at comparable models and particularly the whole electric and hybrid thing now.

Clarksons buffoonery and the ridiculous road trips generate lots of money. But put it in that order.

there is already an informative show. its called Fifth Gear. and its as dull as dishwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

there is already an informative show. its called Fifth Gear. and its as dull as dishwater.

I'll get my coat. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I highly doubt waiting until next year warrants "gone too long". People underestimate Amazon tv. It might not be as big as Netflix but something that is big is the number of Amazon Prime accounts.

I know a lot of people who are Prime users just for deals and delivery and have never used the tv side of things, they all said they will when the new show comes out. I imagine this will happen a lot with many of the millions of Prime users.

Given the large amount of people on the subscription I imagine the new show will do swimingly viewer wise. Will it be as good? Who knows. It will have a larger budget and audience though, and already a three year contract.

Amazon is also throwing lots of funding into the tv side of Prime. With Woody Allen and Ridley Scott both recently announced as being involved in Amazon exclusive programs/movies.

Anyone thinking that the new show will bomb I don't understand at all. Many old viewers of Clarkson, Hammond and May will watch their new show just to see what its about, not counting old fans.

The new format Top Gear could turn out well too and make some good competition for the new show witht he exiles :pac:

Amazon doesn't strike me as being anything other than conservative.
    Doubt they'll let out any content that reflects badly on their reputation,so a sanitised version is quite possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

kneemos wrote: »
    Doubt they'll let out any content that reflects badly on their reputation,so a sanitised version is quite possible.

It's really hard to know and we'll only find out after it is released. Honestly they are determined to make Prime TV popular so who knows, they might allow it to be the same as before.

Honestly I can't wait to see how both shows do, no doubt the first episode for each will bring in loads of viewers and contain sly jokes at their counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I see Oisín Tymon is now suing the BBC and Clarkson for racial discrimination. Hard to see how he'll win this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

kneemos wrote: »

Amazon's competition is Netflix, a very liberal company and programming. They'll be left behind with sanitised material.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I see Oisín Tymon is now suing the BBC and Clarkson for racial discrimination. Hard to see how he'll win this one.

Black boot polish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When did the Irish become a race rather than a nationality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

When did the Irish become a race rather than a nationality?

We're an ethnicity apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ka-ching!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Should have sued for straight up assault and lifetime loss of earnings seeing as his careers probably wrecked. I seriously doubt they'll swallow that he was attacked because he was Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Thargor wrote: »
    Should have sued for straight up assault and lifetime loss of earnings seeing as his careers probably wrecked. I seriously doubt they'll swallow that he was attacked because he was Irish.

He thumped him and then came out with a load of "verbal abuse" and I think its the latter hes taking a case about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

It'll be a toughie alright. Surely even if Clarkson said something related to his nationality, it'd be bigotry rather than racial discrimination? I ain't no solicitor though!

But even if it does qualify as racial discrimination, he'd have to prove that a racial slur was uttered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Is that the premise of his case? I thought he would suing because, you know, his boss smacked him about in work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The headline and small piece about it specifically said it was over racial discrimination, and the assault was mentioned too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't see how he couldn't.
    Thargor wrote: »
    He did the right thing as far as I can see. He took the matter to the BBC first and they fired him, he brought the matter to a labour commission and now he's suing.

The bottom line is he was assaulted at work and then got fired. He seems to have brought the matter through every offical channel and is now left with the court.

I'd say he will win the case.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't see how he couldn't.

He did the right thing as far as I can see. He took the matter to the BBC first and they fired him, he brought the matter to a labour commission and now he's suing.

The bottom line is he was assaulted at work and then got fired. He seems to have brought the matter through every offical channel and is now left with the court.

I'd say he will win the case.

Me too, hope he garners a right good wedge from Clarkeson.

I hear they are lined up on some obscure platform with more money than sense.

Yesterday's men, they had their day, flew too close to the sun.

Advertisement