Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Very disappointing ending. Goes to show if you be a b!tch you shall be rewarded. So wanted it to be other way around.

Agree with this, very disappointed the little madam didn't get her comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

I hope the Christmas episode is all about Edith. I hope Bertie and her will get married. Edith deserves a happy ending. I thought it was a great episode. I'd hate to have Mary as a sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I so wanted Edith to be happy, and Mary to get her comeuppance
    Nearly fell off the sofa laughing though when Spratt turned up as the agony aunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I missed the first few minutes of last night episode and when I saw the headline "British Marquis dies in Tangiers", I admit I thought it was the Dowager Duchess they were referring too. I felt sure her sudden trip to the Mediterranean would result in her sudden death.

Surprised Barrow made a recovery. I felt sure he was a goner. Who else thinks Pratt will retire as Butler to write full time and the Dowager will take Barrow over as her Butler? He'd love that. She could be his gal-pal.

Edith needs to find happiness in the Christmas Special but I predict tragedy befalling someone. Possibly his Lordship or the Dowager.

No happy ending for Branson it seems.

This is what needs to happen Christmas episode
    Anna to have a girl who will eventually marry master George
    Moseley becomes a teacher and marries Baxter
    Daisy becomes a teacher, and possibly marries the other footman
    Mr mason marries Mrs pattmore
    Edith marries someone
    Tom finds someone
    The dowager and cousin Violet live together in harmony
    Aunt Rosamund adopts a baby
    And finally
    The dog theo finds love

Not too much is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Where are you all watching downton? I'm An episode behind. Have been sky plussing tv3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Aimeee wrote: »
    Where are you all watching downton? I'm An episode behind. Have been sky plussing tv3.

If you've a Freeview/Saorview setup, you can get more versions of ITV than you can shake a stick at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

spurious wrote: »
    If you've a Freeview/Saorview setup, you can get more versions of ITV than you can shake a stick at.

As above and UPC supply very good broadband connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Ok I think I tried to watch it on utv/itv but it was clashing with something so I ended up with tv3 showing. All is explained. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No, sorry, I cant be having that.

I am a major defender of Lady Mary but she went too far this time. The Countess Dowager should have stormed through the door and given her the dressing down of a lifetime before being ex-communicated from the family for a period. Not married by the end of the week with the whole family gloriously wishing her well. Even Mr Talbot may have reconsidered after hearing of what she had done.

I cant believe that the writers may have thought we would be all teary eyed watching Lady Mary swan off into the distance in a fairytale romance. I felt nothing as she left.

I better get my fairytale finale at Christmas. Otherwise I will be harbouring a grudge against the makers of the programme for the rest of my like. Just like the Sopranos.

• Advertisement

I think I can see a Spin-Off in the making with Lady Edith and the magazine.

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    This is what needs to happen Christmas episode
    Anna to have a girl who will eventually marry master George
    Moseley becomes a teacher and marries Baxter
    Daisy becomes a teacher, and possibly marries the other footman
    Mr mason marries Mrs pattmore
    Edith marries someone
    Tom finds someone
    The dowager and cousin Violet live together in harmony
    Aunt Rosamund adopts a baby
    And finally
    The dog theo finds love

Not too much is it?

For 90 minutes on Stephens' Day? Just a tad...
    No, sorry, I cant be having that.

Speaking of Richard Hillman, I forgot the episode was a 90 minuter and when Barrow was looking forlorn at 21:55 I was half expecting he was going to load up a couple of shotguns and go kill some people.
    Hamlet/Reservoir Dogs/The Departed
    style.

I'm not ruling that out yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

I'll miss Lady Mary, but I'll MISS Mr Barrow

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Asarlai wrote:

Stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Asarlai wrote: »
    SillyBeans wrote: »
    Stop it.

This is a bit like watching Downton Abbey. I suspect you're both quite terribly fond of each other

:p

Seriously do yourself a favour and stop it

I'll miss Anna, but I definitely won't miss you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Just caught up online and the stream finished abruptly. Not sure if I missed something. Was the final scene Edith watching the children running around the graveyard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭brian_t

jos28 wrote: »
    Just caught up online and the stream finished abruptly. Not sure if I missed something. Was the final scene Edith watching the children running around the graveyard

Yes it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

brian_t wrote: »
    Yes it was.

Fairly sh1t ending so :( I hope they have something nice lined up for Edith in the Christmas special. Mary didn't deserve the happy ending :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I hope they have something nice lined up for Edith in the Christmas special.

Me too.

This would be nice :

- Mary introduces her to a lovely fellow named Edward. Good looking, rich, great fun, a prince, eldest son of George, a king.
    - Fall madly in love. Nuptials about to be agreed.
    - Big Christmas get together, and meet-the-future-royal-inlaws planned to take place in Downton. Cue lots of downstairs preparations and excitement.
    - Branson hears that a friend he met in America, Wallis, from Pennsylvania, is now in London following a divorce, and invites her along to the party to help her make some new friends in England.

I was the same. I have checked on another stream and it did end that moment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I kind of hated that ending. I really didn't want Mary to marry that guy. She seriously went too far with Edith too. I used to find her hatred of Edith quite funny but this series it's been quite nasty and blurting that out at breakfast was just too mean. I'm glad Tom tore strips off her for it, although all the scenes with Tom proved she has way more chemistry with him than with any of her suitors. Oh well, maybe the new hubby will be dead by Christmas and they'll finally let Mary and Tom be happy together :D

I did like when Mary brought Master George up to see Thomas. She's not all bad. I laughed when she let Lord Grantham know it was his fault too.

I can't tell if they're going to being Bertie back for Edith or just have her take Marigold to London and make a super cool life for themselves there while she drinks and smokes with her gal pals.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

So sad for poor Edith :( was really hoping Bertie would arrive back at the end :( they'll hardly do it 2 years later will they?

I was glad Mary got married though, agree that she was horrible but still!

I'm hoping they don't kill off Carson at Christmas, I'm still trying to recover from Matthews death, that really ruined my Christmas that year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Well, Mary proved to be an auld c*nt anyway, poor Edith, had she left marygold with that pig farming family she would be sitting pretty at the marquess of where-ever and would have trumped all of the granthams!!

What would any of them do without Tom

Sad for Barrow but we seen that coming a long time, but i was delighted for Mosley

It was good of the family to give mrs miggins from the kitchen a dig out when needed, not an entirely bad bunch

Yer man who married mary must want his head examined, lunatic

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I wonder would they go the route of resolving what happened to Edith's last guy instead - Marigold's father. They left it open-ended, and it would be a different way to resolve her storyline. The Bertie guy seemed very put out by the lying, which is probably not in keeping with the time period. I think the illegitimate child would have bothered a marquis more.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I wonder would they go the route of resolving what happened to Edith's last guy instead - Marigold's father. They left it open-ended, and it would be a different way to resolve her storyline.

It was resolved, he died during the war and Edith inherited the paper, flat etc.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I wonder would they go the route of resolving what happened to Edith's last guy instead - Marigold's father. They left it open-ended, and it would be a different way to resolve her storyline.

Yeah wouldn't it be fun if he turned out to be head of the Luftwaffe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭paulbok

Branson and Ediths editor to hook up anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

paulbok wrote: »
    Branson and Ediths editor to hook up anyone?

they never developed that plus she lives in london he is yorks, however i thought tom and mary would have made a fine couple

Advertisement