Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

jezzer wrote: »
    they never developed that plus she lives in london he is yorks, however i thought tom and mary would have made a fine couple

Preaching to the choir here.

The scenes where Tom was shouting at Mary and she was shouting back had more chemistry than she ever had with anyone, even Matthew! I may be confusing acting ability with sexual chemistry.... I don't know!

I genuinely did think that she was going to kiss him at one point and then yell "THAT'S WHY I DON'T WANT TO MARRY THAT GUY!"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Made me laugh - and wonder why I hadn't noticed before - Edith's habit of dropping everything at a moment's notice when things aren't going her way, and decamping to London - leaving behind her beloved Marigold with ne'er a backward glance, and she the cause of all the trouble in the first place....

I too was really surprised that they finished out Mary's story, and left Edith hanging. Quite apart from all the viewers, her poor father will have a heart attack if something good doesn't happen for her soon!

I was fully expecting either Mary and Tom to leap on each other sometime, to everyone's surprise and shock including their own (but not really) or else for that gorgeous man of hers to finally get sense and leg it into the sunset for once and for all.

Poor Mrs. Pattmore - I'd say her ears burned for the first half of the show :D

Why have they made Carson so unpleasant all of a sudden? From being the dependable, benign father figure of all the downstairs staff, he's turned into a bully to poor Mrs Carson and Thomas, and just plain rude to everyone else :confused: Are the leading up to a quickie divorce or something?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It was resolved, he died during the war and Edith inherited the paper, flat etc.

Well, he was declared dead, but they didn't find a body, I thought?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

pinkypinky wrote: »

That's what I thought too.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Ugh.

I HATE LADY MARY!!!!

Hate hate hate that she got the happy ending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

pinkypinky wrote: »

Yes they did, it was quite a small storyline though. His remains were found after the war and he had been dead for some time.

Hugh Bonneville has dropped a few hints about the Christmas special, I can't seem to do spoilers on my phone so anyone interested should Google!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yes they did, it was quite a small storyline though. His remains were found after the war and he had been dead for some time.

Well the discovery of his body did coincide with Mary's haircut and she was annoyed with Edith moping when she wanted to show it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

iguana wrote: »
    Well the discovery of his body did coincide with Mary's haircut and she was annoyed with Edith moping when she wanted to show it off.

I predict it now, the Christmas Special ends with Edith plunging a dagger in Lady "Im a Bitch" Mary's heart. And then it goes to credits. And thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

Asarlai wrote: »
    I'll miss Lady Mary, but I'll MISS Mr Barrow
    syklops wrote: »
    I'll miss Anna, but I definitely won't miss you.

No worries. I'm not going anywhere.

I love Downton Abbey, but I'm in love with this thread.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Okay, I've been thinking, maybe Gregson shows up. He's been kept prisoner or something... that woukd be a fantastic ending for edith..

Mary didn't deserve the marriage shes such a bitch. Its getting tiring and Edith started out worse than mary!!

Anna to have a happy, healthy baby and name her mary.

Loved when tom returned and loved his speech to mary about letting someone love you and being vulnerable to being hurt.. He's one of my faves. Glad he didnt get with Mary, he's too good for her!

Looove Tio... (the puppy)

Carson needs to cop on and go back to his nive self.. Barrow needs to not kill himself... but he lights up when master George comes in which is nice...

Anyway cant wait for christmas day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Stinjy wrote: »
    Okay, I've been thinking, maybe Gregson shows up. He's been kept prisoner or something... that woukd be a fantastic ending for edith..

But he's dead and his body was found? Mary's haircut completely overshadowed the news of his remains being found if so few people remember it!

Though I love your idea of the baby being called Mary!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Stinjy wrote: »
    Mary didn't deserve the marriage shes such a bitch. Its getting tiring and Edith started out worse than mary!!

I don't like Mary but I didn't like her marriage because tbh, I don't think even she deserved to be stuck in what will surely end up a deeply abusive marriage. I mean this guy told her that if she wanted to break up with him he would make it as 'hard and horrible' for her as possible. I'd be calling the guards if a man I broke up with spoke to me like that. Even if I'd been feeling sad at our break-up, as soon as those words were out of his mouth I'd be terrified. And this was just after he started hurling insults at her because she wouldn't take him back. To top it off, it later turned out that when he decided to drop in on the woman who had recently ended her relationship with him, he had first procured a marriage license!:eek: Jesus Christ! Mary needed a restraining order at the end of the episode, not a wedding.

iguana wrote: »
    I don't like Mary but I didn't like her marriage because tbh, I don't think even she deserved to be stuck in what will surely end up a deeply abusive marriage. I mean this guy told her that if she wanted to break up with him he would make it as 'hard and horrible' for her as possible. I'd be calling the guards if a man I broke up with spoke to me like that. Even if I'd been feeling sad at our break-up, as soon as those words were out of his mouth I'd be terrified. And this was just after he started hurling insults at her because she wouldn't take him back. To top it off, it later turned out that when he decided to drop in on the woman who had recently ended her relationship with him, he had first procured a marriage license!:eek: Jesus Christ! Mary needed a restraining order at the end of the episode, not a wedding.

I agree. I hate when TV shows/films have the man behave like that and we're supposed to swoon. Everyone sticking their oar in and giving Mary a hard time over it was annoying too. I don't even understand why she changed her mind in the end anyway? The underlying reason for her rejecting him was the fact he was a racing driver. She didn't want to have to live in fear all the time that she'd lose another husband to a car accident. She didn't even discuss that with him in the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not sure the body they found was properly identified. I remember the Earl saying something like 'what little was left of him' at the time.
    It would be just like Julian Fellowes to bring him back - just like Matthew's remarkable re-working legs and other bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Radio5

The happy ending for Mary just didn't ring through in the light of what she had done to her sister. Yes, it could have happened over a couple of episodes but to have it in one episode was just ridiculous.

I hope Bertie comes back from Tangiers and decides to marry Edith anyway. It would be a bit far fetched to have Gregson alive after all this time but of course far fetched is a common theme in storylines on Downton.

I think Carson has turned awkward as a kind of defence mechanism. The only world he has ever known, that of service, blind loyalty and deference to the artisocracy is coming to an end. He is trying to stay in control and finding that he can't. Staff are leaving to find other jobs and the old ways are gone. He compensates by being unpleasant and trying to wield whatever power he has left. His wife is more of a realist but he is still more in tune to the old ways.

Have said it before, but Cora really just wallpaper this series. Edith's chance of happiness and future security is scuppered by her sister and most unrealistic to have no scene with Cora going to try and comfort Edith before she goes to London. No, it's all about Mary and even then, it's left to Tom and Granny to sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

As someone who used to think Tom to be more wooden than a Barna shed I have to hold my hand up and say that Allen Leech's acting and the character's role in the last two episodes has been very good. There, I've said it. :o

ollaetta wrote: »
    As someone who used to think Tom to be more wooden than a Barna shed I have to hold my hand up and say that Allen Leech's acting and the character's role in the last two episodes has been very good. There, I've said it. :o

I agree. Mary was much better than usual in a lot of the scenes the last 2 weeks. I think the writing was better in places too. They must have let an intern write a few pages of script.

Tom sounded very Dublin when he was shouting at Mary too. I think him trying to sound proper takes away from his acting at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Tom is definitely more of a Dub when he rants, it's great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Well after weeks of avoiding this thread I have finally gotten round to catching up on Downton! Until today I had only seen the first two episodes so I have just binge watched the rest. OMFG great season! I don't even know where to begin.
    I think I will start with Thomas. I know many people will say that he made his bed and should lye in it, but I did feel sorry for him in the end. It was sad that no one could believe he had feelings. He was a tortured soul but he made everyone his enemy and pushed everyone away, and therefore ended up sad and alone. Just such a sad situation.

Carson and Mrs Huges, well they are a match made in heaven, aren't they?! She has the measure of him. He is HER curmudgeon:D

I do hope Anna and Bates end up happy. They, out of everyone (bar perhaps Lady Edith) deserve it.

Mary. I just don't think she deserved a happy ending. She is the most cold hearted horrible person ever! She doesn't deserve to get what she wants, but then I guess life doesn't always work out the way we think it should.
    Her and Tom's scenes were just brilliant! He really is the only one besides Granny who has the gumption to put her in her place. Granny has really accepted him. Which is nice.
    I loved the scene at dinner when Gwen came back. And she was telling them all what Lady Sybil had done for her. TThey were all so surprised except Tom. They had no idea, imagine, that their own daughter was such a kind and giving person. They must have been horrified to realise that they didn't know her half as much as one of the maids.
    I have to give a mention to one of my favourite, if not the least popular character, Mr Molesley. What a lovely man. So kind and generous to Daisy and I am delighted to see him getting his just rewards. I would love to see him and Baxter get together.
    and Andy and Daisy too :) Perhaps Mrs Pattmore and Mr Mason may have a thing at Christmas. There must be a Christmas special.
    I felt like that episode wasn't over. Edith surely deserves a proper ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Baby4 wrote: »

Yes, she should have tact in the blood and bone - revenge is a dish best served etc. But the writing and characterisation have gone to hell in general. Edith couldn't run a bath never mind a magazine by remote control. Carson is well able to make a bed (starting as a footman) and can cook all by himself (all single men could knock out a decent fry and a pot of spuds back in the day). And he is not a bully or a fool. The Dowager couldn't give a monkeys about anybody and would not take the EasyJet;) back from the south of France to impart wisdom.

They are in the process of a hasty conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Radio5

A little but it's always been there, just not as obvious while she's been busy running the estate and searching for 2nd hubby.

Agree with the poster about the scenes when Gwen came back. Her memories of Sybil rang so true and all she had done for her. As you said, it was sad that her family seemed to know so little of her character. Of course she was the 3rd daughter, so never likely to be the one who got the most attention. The priority even then was a suitable marriage for Mary, after the cousin had died on the Titanic, preferably to Matthew when he was located.

There have been a lot of fortuitous deaths over the years. All Lavinia's father's heirs died pretty conveniently so Matthew got Mr Swire's money and saved Downton. Now Bertie's cousin dying and him becoming a Marquis.

Will Lady Rose and hubby return for Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Will Bertie?!?!?!?

Radio5 wrote: »

Will Lady Rose and hubby return for Christmas?

I believe Lady Rose will be in the Christmas one. Lily James has been busy since she left so nice of her to squeeze them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Nope. She sabotaged Edith's engagement once before already. At best, she just fell into old habits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Tom and Mary would have made a great couple, a bit like John and Mary from Fr Ted...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

jezzer wrote: »
    Tom and Mary would have made a great couple, a bit like John and Mary from Fr Ted...

You spoiled the ending where he whisks her off to a desert(ed) island and they have 15 kids. The inbred grandkids constitute the entire population of Craggy Island. Overheard in a script conference between Julian Fellowes and Linehan / Matthews.
    You heard it here first - Downton Abbey was always really Ted - The Early Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭brian_t

It's definitely on Stephen's Day on TV3, for those of us stuck with UTV Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

brian_t wrote: »

sniff...

Advertisement