Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

At least that bloody Mr Mason story is done...I hope

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

With all the talk from Mary's suitor about car racing did absolutely nobody think that fast cars might be a somewhat difficult subject for her seeing as it's how her husband died?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Lord G isn't going to be able to drink until Christmas again and we'll have another drunken speech :P

Love love love Tom! Hope he doesn't get with Mary shes still a miserable cow but I do like her, she's so good to Anna!

The hospital debacle has to end... seriously... as does the Mr. Mason issue...

As for the car racing guy.... well I think Mary is going to loose a second husband to the motor car!

Loved the story about Sybil. Thank you Mr. Barrow for bringing it up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

iguana wrote: »
    With all the talk from Mary's suitor about car racing did absolutely nobody think that fast cars might be a somewhat difficult subject for her seeing as it's how her husband died?

When you say "Absolutely no-one", do you mean boardsies? Because to me its as obvious as Mr Mason getting the farm. Or did you mean to the characters? Some of them can be a bit dense to be fair.
    Mary shes still a miserable cow but I do like her, she's so good to Anna!

Ah here, didnt Anna have to remind Mary about her carrying the Turkish fella down the hall for her. Anna has been a guardian angel for Mary, and all Mary has had to do was buy a few train tickets and fit the bill for a small out patient operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ah crap, couldn't make head nor tail of the last few posts - and then realised that you've all seen it on UTV!

I gorged on the first three episodes (best way by far for watching these things!) and will get to gorge on the next two now as I've missed this week's and will be away for next week's one.

Maybe I should leave the lot for Christmas altogether.....

Have to say the thought of Branson and Mary getting it together crossed my mind - why on earth else bring him back?

At this stage I've forgotten what on earth the Anna/Bates/police story is actually about, apart from the fact that Anna (and previously Bates) seemed to be under constant threat of being hanged in the morning. Thank goodness they finally seem to have brought that to a close.

Did Isabel not get it together with yer man with the long face who's on her side in the hospital debate? (I really should pay more attention when I do get around to watching these things, I've the memory of a gnat for stuff I watch).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

syklops wrote: »
    When you say "Absolutely no-one", do you mean boardsies? Because to me its as obvious as Mr Mason getting the farm. Or did you mean to the characters? Some of them can be a bit dense to be fair.

I mean the characters, not one of them even paused for a moment to think it might be a touchy subject. Though the more I think about it, Tom suddenly remembering his background in cars and expressing an interest in becoming a car racer. Makes me think that he'll have a bad accident toward the end of the series prompting Mary to break down as it feels like Matthew all over again, and realise she loves Tom.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They must have gotten a new writer in this week because that episode was actually pretty good. It was hilariously funny at times and on purpose!

I hate Mary's boyfriend. I was kind of hoping his appearance in the Christmas ep was a one off. I'll never forgive him for Leap Year. NEVER!

I remember Gwen from the earlier series but is she also in Game of Thrones now? You know nothing, Jon Snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭paulbok

That's her. You do know something Elmo:D

Classic Barrow, you start to feel sorry for him and wonder is he going to change, then he pulls one of his stunts.
    There are focusing on him a lot and his copiing of being let go and struggling to find new employment, I think there may be a big plot line to come from him.

It does look like Lord G is on the way out.

Loved Lady Mary's reply as to why she saud something nice to Edith, "monkeys with a pen would eventually write the Bible" or something along those lines.

Thankfully the Mr Mason story is done, Daisy was really in need of a slap with her ranting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Anyone watching Downton Abbey this season?

I though the first couple of episodes were poor but I was glad to see branson come back into it, he was a big loss, I can see that its on the wind down and they are trying to depict the changes of the time.

There's a lively thread on the series here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I reckon Barrow might try to kill himself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

leahyl wrote: »
    Does anybody think there is actually a chance that Branson and Mary will get together? I think they'd be a great match but I don't know, I can't see it happening...

I think that is going to happen myself. :P

I found the first two episodes of the final series pretty bad, they certainly are winding down, the mr mason story and the hospital are meaningless but i know they are aiming to show how the times are changing....delighted to see Tom return, he was a big loss to the show

anyone know why anna can be called anna but mrs hughes has to be called mrs hughes?

also anyone know what mary meant when she said to the racing car driver that her son will inherit lord granthams title and that it was complicated? was it because her and matthew were cousins? mary sees the son for about 5 minutes before dinner and thats it!!

pinkypinky wrote: »

On the one hand it would be nice if he could find happiness. On the other hand he is a bastard.

Not sure how I feel about Branson(shouldn't we now call him Tom?) and Mary.

syklops wrote: »
    On the one hand it would be nice if he could find happiness. On the other hand he is a bastard.

Not sure how I feel about Branson(shouldn't we now call him Tom?) and Mary.

barrow is a hateful pr*ck, expects everyone to love him but is only a c*nt to them all

jezzer wrote: »

anyone know why anna can be called anna but mrs hughes has to be called mrs hughes?

good question, seniority I suppose. Also what happened Mr Hughes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pixel pixie

also anyone know what mary meant when she said to the racing car driver that her son will inherit lord granthams title and that it was complicated? was it because her and matthew were cousins? mary sees the son for about 5 minutes before dinner and thats it!!

The housekeeper is always Mrs Something. A lady's maid is always their surname (O'Brien, Baxter). Anna was head housemaid then was pretty much promoted to Lady Mary's lady's maid but by this stage there was Mr Bates and instead of confusing everyone with Mr Bates and Bates, Anna suggested or agreed to continue to be called Anna.

George will inherit everything because girls weren't allowed, this is one of the main themes of the first season. Lord Grantham's first heir was a closer cousin who died on the Titanic. Then they found Matthew who is a distant cousin but the closest male relative on the male line. If Matthew had not died, he would inherit the house, land and title whether he married Mary or not. If George had been a girl and Matthew died, they'd have to find the next closest male relative after Matthew. Even if Sibbie or Marigold were born boys, they couldn't inherit because they're not of the male line.

There was no Mr Hughes. Housekeepers were always Mrs. whether they're married or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

George will inherit everything because girls weren't allowed, this is one of the main themes of the first season. Lord Grantham's first heir was a closer cousin who died on the Titanic. Then they found Matthew who is a distant cousin but the closest male relative on the male line. If Matthew had not died, he would inherit the house, land and title whether he married Mary or not. If George had been a girl and Matthew died, they'd have to find the next closest male relative after Matthew. Even if Sibbie or Marigold were born boys, they couldn't inherit because they're not of the male line

They couldn't inherit because Lord Granthams family had an entail- it's like a will that only allows the title and land to be passed to legitimate male heirs....ironically the greatest title in England - the King or Queen can be inherited through women. Prince Charles, Prince William and so on will all inherit the English throne through female descent. As did the Stuart kings-their female ancestor was Henry VII's daughter. Henry VII himself had a tenuous claim to the throne through his mother and her female ancestors though he won it on the battlefield to seal the deal.

You'd think if it was good enough for royalty it would be good enough for the Granthams!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

pinkypinky wrote: »

I think that's likely. He's much more prominent this series so it has to be leading somewhere.

Does anyone else think Cora's character has gone downhill or is being written that way? She seems to be just a sideline to most things, like the infernal Hospital row, the Drews & yew Tree Farm and Mr. Mason, observations on her husband's health etc. The Cora of old would have Dr. Clarkson visit and sort out Robert's medical issues in double quick time but she just sighs and says very little.

The most Cora has had to do is be nasty to Mrs Hughes for trying on her coat and then have to apologise later because Mary had sanctioned it all along.

• Advertisement

yes, she was obviously married before but this was never mentioned?

They couldn't inherit because Lord Granthams family had an entail- it's like a will that only allows the title and land to be passed to legitimate male heirs....ironically the greatest title in England - the King or Queen can be inherited through women. Prince Charles, Prince William and so on will all inherit the English throne through female descent. As did the Stuart kings-their female ancestor was Henry VII's daughter. Henry VII himself had a tenuous claim to the throne through his mother and her female ancestors though he won it on the battlefield to seal the deal.

You'd think if it was good enough for royalty it would be good enough for the Granthams!!

So, essentially, if the nearest male heir inherits everything, that means that the estate could actually slip away from the actual family? what happens in the case of the women? presumably married off into another wealthy family?

yes, she was obviously married before but this was never mentioned?

Mrs Hughes has never been married. She tells her ex boyfriend this sometime in the middle of the first season. She just uses Mrs. as all housekeepers do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

So, essentially, if the nearest male heir inherits everything, that means that the estate could actually slip away from the actual family? what happens in the case of the women? presumably married off into another wealthy family?

Yes it will pass to cousins and their cousins and so on as needed.
    In Downton Abbey if Matthew had been married with male children when they found him the eldest boy would have been granted the title (ifwhen both the current Lord Grantham and Matthew died) which would mean the current Lord Grantham would have very little blood- relationship to the Lord Grantham 2-3 generations down! It explains the obsession with having sons very well I think.

Yes the women would just marry someone suitable.
    Lady Sybil once said something along the lines of how she is the third daughter so wouldn't marry particularly well anyway. I think it was around the time herself and Tom got together.

Yes, essentially. That's why people were so intent on Mary marrying first the cousin from the Titanic and then Matthew.

If Matthew had survived and married Lavinia instead he could kick Cora, Mary and the rest of them out of the Abbey and move himself in once the current Lord Grantham dies.

If Matthew & Lavinia had a son, he'd then inherit the title and the estate from Matthew and Mary etc might only get an allowance.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mrs Hughes has never been married. She tells her ex boyfriend this sometime in the middle of the first season. She just uses Mrs. as all housekeepers do.

Mrs. Pattmore another example. Never been married but is still a Mrs. as she's the head cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Barrow, wild with power during his spell as Butler, uses the expression "you should have run it by me" when admonishing an underling. Sloppy dialogue from an Oscar winner, about 50 years before time.

Wow... is this Downton or The Walking Dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,084 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Downtons great with it's self-spoilers

First the warning of lots of blood and then showing clip at the end from next weeks episode so you don't need to worry about how things will turn out

• Advertisement

Yes, essentially. That's why people were so intent on Mary marrying first the cousin from the Titanic and then Matthew.

If Matthew had survived and married Lavinia instead he could kick Cora, Mary and the rest of them out of the Abbey and move himself in once the current Lord Grantham dies.

If Matthew & Lavinia had a son, he'd then inherit the title and the estate from Matthew and Mary etc might only get an allowance.

wow, so an estate could slip away from a family quite easily, this is obviously why they didnt really care about cousins marrying

Advertisement