Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

jezzer wrote: »
    I guess so, either way, the show is not the same without tom in it! also if they were ever to make another michael collins pic, he would make a great collins

Liam Neeson's son is playing him in the RTE thing for the 1916 anniversary. Nepotism has got nothing to do with it :rolleyes:.
    Although in fairness from what I've heard, that production will focus on worker bees involved in 1916 and the leaders will be background characters.

Ps. Brendan Gleeson did a great Collins in The Treaty which was made a few years before the Neil Jordan flick.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190088/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Funnily enough, a certain Julian Fellowes plays Churchill in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

jezzer wrote: »
    I guess so, either way, the show is not the same without tom in it! also if they were ever to make another michael collins pic, he would make a great collins

Jeez, I must be the only one that thinks Tom is as wooden as a length of 4x4. :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

ollaetta wrote: »
    Jeez, I must be the only one that thinks Tom is as wooden as a length of 4x4. :o

They're all a bit wooden this series but Tom seems particularly bad since he came back. Also a bit porky :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

syklops wrote: »
    To be honest I doubt that, they are so diligent with nearly all aspects of the historical themes. Fellowes is still on board and he is a very knowledgeable historian. Can you remember when roughly that error was made?

Of course mistakes do happen, but I'd be surprised if something like mixing up to wars, however trivial to the gentry was accidental.

Fellows is only accurate about the things that he personally cares deeply about. There have been numerous mistakes throughout the series, off the top of my head there was the 6 week long Easter Rising, Tom saying he couldn't return to Ireland long after the foundation of the Free State, the general mood of trepidation and fear at the announcement of the start of the first world war, etc. From a historical accuracy pov this series has been very shoddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

They're all a bit wooden this series but Tom seems particularly bad since he came back. Also a bit porky :D

True, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of pork now and then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Baby4 wrote: »

would that happen in real life with a burst ulcer?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Baby4 wrote: »

Yes it didn't fit in at all with the show

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

ah no, tom brings a bit of life to it i think, in reality i dont think the show really recovered from losing matthew, yes branson has put on a bit of weight probably from something else he was filming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

• Advertisement

A burst ulcer is pretty tame for a show that had Mary sex a man to death, Anna was raped, a whole series of the bloody war and soldiers bleeding around the house etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

A burst ulcer is pretty tame for a show that had Mary sex a man to death, Anna was raped, a whole series of the bloody war and soldiers bleeding around the house etc.

Some others worth a mention

Barrow intentionally getting his hand shot
    Misfigured soldiers including the guy who claimed to be Patrick - I found that one hard to watch
    O'Brien sabotaging Lady Granthams baby
    Sybil dying in child birth, pretty much on screen
    Also the spanish flu one with servants and family seemingly dropping like flies

would that happen in real life with a burst ulcer?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I will admit to hate-watching yet kinda enjoying this show for the last few years with the missus but have found the current series to be utter tripe :mad:

Every storyline seems to drag on for ever and then conclude quickly as a complete non-event.

The whole hospital thing is bizarre - I literally have no idea what's going on and what the whole hoo-haa is about :confused:

And the conversation between Tom (who looks like he embraced all the excesses of American dining) and the politician guy with the mustache was one of the most cringey, meaningless, weird scenes I've ever witnessed -

"So, why exactly are you here??",

"Well, I dug a trench in London when I was younger as a joke with a few other chaps, yer wan saw me so I owed her a favour" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Cartman78

And another thing….the scenes with Carson and Mrs. Carson at home were really badly handled.

Sure, it’s hilarious to a 2015 audience to have Carson giving out about his dinner and suggesting the missus take some cooking lessons but this was par for the course at the time (and probably wouldn’t have looked out of place in some households until very recently).

Going for the cheap laugh and missing the opportunity to show what could have been an interesting topic of the decline of the ‘big house’ and how it affected the people involved.

Tonally, this series is all over the place – slapstick, soppy melodrama, misguided comedy and now also body-horror following the Lord’s chundering up blood and spattering everyone in the room. And they still found time to shyte on about the fupping hospital literally as he was being wheeled past bleeding to a dramatic almost-death :mad::mad::mad::mad:

iguana wrote: »
    Fellows is only accurate about the things that he personally cares deeply about. There have been numerous mistakes throughout the series, off the top of my head there was the 6 week long Easter Rising,

I'll have to stop you there, Sybil asked Tom why he didnt join the rising and he said he would have if it "hadn't been putdown for 6 weeks". I take putdown to mean postponed. Not, that it lasted 6 weeks.

A quick google can't find anything to support the argument that the rising was postponed 6 weeks so I may have corrected you on one mistake, and replaced it with another.

syklops wrote: »
    I'll have to stop you there, Sybil asked Tom why he didnt join the rising and he said he would have if it "hadn't been putdown for 6 weeks". I take putdown to mean postponed. Not, that it lasted 6 weeks.

A quick google can't find anything to support the argument that the rising was postponed 6 weeks so I may have corrected you on one mistake, and replaced it with another.

:confused: Put down doesn't ever mean postponed, you're thinking of put off. In the context of an insurgency 'put down' does very much mean to end it. http://translation.babylon.com/english/put+down+an+insurgency/ Tom's dialogue implied that he couldn't join the Rising as he couldn't get from Yorkshire to Dublin in the 6 weeks the Rising lasted. Downton Abbey is riddled with poor history another thing that really bothered me about that season was the lack of 'convalescent blues' uniforms that would have been worn by all the hospital patients and possibly Lang.

Fellows isn't a historian by any means. He has an MA in English Lit. He certainly is very fond of a certain historical time period but his knowledge of it is more in terms of society and social mores. When it comes to actual facts he's not always great. For a more accurate portrayal of the time period the original Upstairs Downstairs is a good place to start. Or the novel Fall of Giants by Ken Follet is all encompassing and has only a few minor inaccuracies.

Put down doesn't ever mean postponed, you're thinking of put off. In the context of an insurgency 'put down' does very much mean to end it.

So I didn't understand or misunderstood the phrase "put down".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, without finding a video of the dialogue, would "put down for 6 weeks" not mean that it had ended 6 weeks ago?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I thought he meant if the rising had lasted 6 weeks he'd have made it. As it was it lasted 6 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

2 questions ive been meaning to ask for ages
    1. If Mary and her mother both have a ladies maid, to help them dress why doesnt Edith? Does she get dressed on her own? Also how is she allowed to go up to London to stay on her own?

2. Is Aunt Rosamund married?

• Advertisement

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    2 questions ive been meaning to ask for ages
    1. If Mary and her mother both have a ladies maid, to help them dress why doesnt Edith? Does she get dressed on her own? Also how is she allowed to go up to London to stay on her own?

2. Is Aunt Rosamund married?

Only married women tend to have lady's maids (and breakfast in bed) the head housemaid helps unmarried women to dress.

Rosamund was married to a man called Marmaduke but was widowed young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

The ulcer scene was quite true to life. It happened to a friend of mine. They did have a warning at the start though (at least TV3 did anyway).

Mary will no doubt will follow up her suspicions around Marigold and unearth the truth from somewhere. She'll be rightly pissed off that everyone seems to have known the truth except her.

I loved the scene in the pub where Tom punctured all the pomposity between Mary and Her racing driver man arranging the dinner date.

I was wondering what Mary will do about Marigold. I don't think she'll be as nasty to Edith as the rest of the family assume but I don't think she'll be best pleased about being kept in the dark either. Everyone pretty much knows, don't they? In the family anyway, even Tom.

I love Lady Mary, but I'm in love with Barrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Is tonight`s episode the last until the Christmas special? First one I'm catching this season.

Is tonight`s episode the last until the Christmas special? First one I'm catching this season.

I hope not, Im hoping it will get better. Carson is insufferable. They are still banging on about the bleedin hospital. Barrow is being made cuddly by playing with the kids. What a pour fashion to end what was a marvelous programme.

Jesus Carson, why didnt you marry Mrs fecking Patmore.

No there's two more episodes, and then the Christmas Day special (which will be set two years later in 1927).

I have to say that I'm enjoying this series more than any since the first. I think it's because it's the last series and Fellowes has started to move everyone toward a happy ending so all his previous butt-monkeys are finally having positive arcs. I love pro-active Edith, Bertie is fabulous - loved him side-eying Mary last night. And I have a hope that his cousin who 'likes to draw men' will die in 1927 making him and Edith the Marquis and Marchioness of that wonderful, well managed castle. I love Mosely having his best qualities recognised by the school principle and being given a chance to have a proper career. I'm ok with the likely ending of Tom and Mary together, even though I think Tom deserves better. The hospital plot didn't bother me and it's ended well enough. I like that the older Crawleys are seriously considering leaving the Abbey to live with warmth and decent plumbing for the rest of their lives. I like the idea of Mrs Patmore finding happiness with Mr Mason and think whiney fly in their ointment (Daisy) needs a kick up the bum. I'm glad the Bateses aren't misery incarnate any more. Other than Daisy the only problem is Baxter's boring drama but it's small enough a thing to ignore and Barrow's ongoing unhappiness. The poor guy hasn't even had a shag since 1912, never mind any chance of a place in the world or a friend. He needs to leave service and move into hotel management, preferably in London as his plan to stay in York doesn't leave him much scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think it is too late for Branson and Mary to hook up. They haven't really shown much other than a friendship.

I think Mary will be ok with the Marigold issue. It shall end happily with a bonding moment between them.

Lady Mary seemed intent on saving the Abbey and it being the future of the Crawleys. They may have to increase these ghastly open days though. Which is exactly what the real life owners of the Highclere estate do to keep it running.

• Advertisement

Anybody interested in how the landed gentry (with special reference to entails) are doing should watch The Last Dukes. It aired on BBC1 last night.
    Available on the BBC Player (for them at the back, download Hola or another such region unblocker).
    It appears highly intelligent women who let the lads play with their titles and private armies are the way forward.

Advertisement