Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Flash

• 15-10-2014 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,813 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ezra Miller to play Barry Allen Source

For anyone who has seen The CW's reboot of the show the lead actor is very good imo

I thought they might have cast a bigger well known named actor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Talented actor but far too androgynous for the role. Flash needs to be a relatable every man. There's a time to be progressive and maverick in your casting but this isn't it. Maybe if Flash was already an established franchise they could take a chance but Flash is their best chance of a breakout hit outside of the Big two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

That's terrible casting in my opinion. The Flash is one of my favourite characters. My expectations have been significantly lowered by the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Same. Terrible casting.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,272 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It doesn't look the best casting in the world to be honest.

A lot of this DC Universe will come down to how Ben Affleck takes on the Batman role If he is a success it may bring fans into it like Marvel did if Affleck makes a mess of the role DC/Warners have will have a lot of pressure on them to keep people interested in The Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I don't know much about the comic book history or storylines, but I struggle to see the mass appeal of the flash. Does he have any other abilities outside of being super fast?

And in terms of big villains, would he have had any in common with other dc heroes?

• Advertisement

It doesn't look the best casting in the world to be honest.

A lot of this DC Universe will come down to how Ben Affleck takes on the Batman role If he is a success it may bring fans into it like Marvel did if Affleck makes a mess of the role DC/Warners have will have a lot of pressure on them to keep people interested in The Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

The difference is, Marvel put huge effort into making four independently great films (and a sequel) that all connected to each other but were very self-contained. They did this by taking great characters and making them into movie-stars. If you weren't a comic fan, you basically didn't know Iron Man. So they made him flashy and cool and charismatic and he exploded. Everyone knows the Hulk. Thor was a giant, handsome, muscular god. Captain America sold itself, in part at least, on the blind patriotism of the yanks. When they were all established, BOOM, Avengers Assemble.

DC are taking their two sellable characters and putting them in a movie together. Then, because they don't believe in their own properties, or the skill of their marketing department, they decide to throw in a bunch of other characters so that when the movies are on the way, they'll be able to say "It's a Flash movie! Remember The Flash!? He was in the Batman/Superman movie!! Remember?! That means you want to see The Flash!!"

It's an understatement to say that it's a poorly thought out plan and tbh, the announcement of all these titles just feels somewhat desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I don't know much about the comic book history or storylines, but I struggle to see the mass appeal of the flash. Does he have any other abilities outside of being super fast?

And in terms of big villains, would he have had any in common with other dc heroes?

You should check out The Justice League :Flashpoint Paradox,
    really shows the flash in all his glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,971 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PlainP wrote: »
    You should check out The Justice League :Flashpoint Paradox,
    really shows the flash in all his glory.

Cracking animated movie. It and justice league war are brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

It is a bit of a pain alright that they are making these movies with poor character development, but one thing DC comics has done poorly is having heroes with too much power.

A flash film would not be strong enough on its own as who can be a serious villain for him, professor Zoom? then you have to do two full back stories from different ages in one film.

Also the flash is fast yes, but what challenges does he have with this? his main rivals are a guy who chucks boomerangs and a guy who uses mirrors.

The series also seems very week in terms of characters, I know they have green arrow in this from time to time, but how many villains were created and yet only the flash is there to stop them

• Registered Users Posts: 84,813 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Hollywood Reporter has now revealed Seth Grahame-Smith to write and direct

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,122 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Hollywood Reporter has now revealed Seth Grahame-Smith to write and direct

The guy who wrote Pride & Prejudice & Zombies? Has he ever worked on film before?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The guy who wrote Pride & Prejudice & Zombies? Has he ever worked on film before?

Yes

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0334381/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,122 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This will be his directorial debut apart from 2 episodes of The Hard Times of RJ Berger going by that.

And things get weirder.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

This is back , solo outing for the flash with Michael Keaton to reprise his role as batman
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21299460/michael-keaton-batman-flash-dc-comics-warner-bros

• Registered Users Posts: 60,272 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This going to be longer in development than Gilliams Don Quixote film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

peteeeed wrote: »
    This is back , solo outing for the flash with Michael Keating to reprise his role as batman
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/21299460/michael-keaton-batman-flash-dc-comics-warner-bros

Keaton I presume? :D

That's a crazy idea, but if done right could be fantastic. Wonder are they still persisting with Erza Miller or going to scrub the plate clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

pixelburp wrote: »
    Keaton I presume? :D

That's a crazy idea, but if done right could be fantastic. Wonder are they still persisting with Erza Miller or going to scrub the plate clean.

No ezra miller is a doubt and keaton is back in apparently because ben affleck won't return

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

peteeeed wrote: »
    No ezra miller is a doubt and keaton is back in apparently because ben affleck won't return

If they pull that off its a great idea (If done right of course).......

• Advertisement

Both Keaton and Affleck Batman in it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Both Keaton and Affleck Batman in it

Really?! That's interesting. Moreso Keaton (he's "my" Batman) but both of them is definitely interesting.

Some sort of multi universe thing? Seems to be all the rage these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Source? I never got the impression Affleck had any interest in ever starring as batman again.. plus doesn't this STILL have no director?

Edit: nevermind I see the other threads.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Source? I never got the impression Affleck had any interest in ever starring as batman again.. plus doesn't this STILL have no director?

Edit: nevermind I see the other threads.

https://ew.com/movies/ben-affleck-batman-the-flash-movie/

Andy Muschietti is directing (IT reboots)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Some concept art for The Flash.

EgC9LifUwAAuV9G?format=jpg&name=large

Screen_Shot_2020_08_22_at_2.48.44_PM_1.0.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Batman marathon tomorrow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So does that concept art imply Keaton will be wearing the cowl, and not just be appearing as older Bruce Wayne?

Billy Crudup in talks to join again

• Advertisement

Ray Fisher’s Cyborg written out, role not recast

Advertisement