Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

josip wrote:
    To drive a few stakes and take soil moisture readings until April/May

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? Don't worry, they'll be in there ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

Mellifera wrote: »
    Do I detect a hint of sarcasm? Don't worry, they'll be in there ASAP

I can see how it might be seen as sarcastic, but given the reluctance to move soil in winter I was wondering what else they can do in Jan/Feb?
    Drive piles for bridges?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Site Clearance, site investigation, set up compounds, if its a mild winter, crack on!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Site Clearance, site investigation, set up compounds, if its a mild winter, crack on!!
    Archaeological work is clearly visible in the gmaps imagery here.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

spacetweek wrote: »
    Archaeological work is clearly visible in the gmaps imagery.

Archaeology was done for this in 2010/11. New Ross bypass too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

sheff_ wrote: »
    Archaeology was done for this in 2010/11. New Ross bypass too.
    Good to see them doing this kind of work in the recessionary times so the projects would be shovel ready come the prosperous times.

Complete opposite of the M20 project.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

marno21 wrote: »
    Complete opposite of the M20 project.

Which means they planned to prioritise the N11 as soon as Howlin got into power??

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Which means they planned to prioritise the N11 as soon as Howlin got into power??
    This was in the 2nd tranche of PPP's announced in 2009 (along with the M17/M18, M11 Arklow to Rathnew, N25 New Ross and the M20 Cork to Limerick). M20 was later removed in favour of N6 Galway City Outer Bypass (that went well) and the N7 Newlands Cross Interchange.

Even though it was removed, they still should've done the groundwork on it as it was always going to have to be done one day and the work would've been both cheap and beneficial, although if I were to guess it was canned in the end as they couldn't afford to CPO the land along the route.

Anyway, back to the Enniscorthy bypass :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Anyway, back to the Enniscorthy bypass :)

You're saying I'm too cynical! You might be right :)

Even though it was removed, they still should've done the groundwork on it as it was always going to have to be done one day and the work would've been both cheap and beneficial, although if I were to guess it was canned in the end as they couldn't afford to CPO the land along the route.

What's the point in doing archaeology/investigations on a scheme that doesn't have planning?
    Would say it was 'canned' for both lack of funds for CPO but also the entire scheme costs. Even if it was run as a PPP there's still a large long term cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Looks like this project is going to go the same way as the M18 Gort Tuam bypass a seemingly un-ending series of delays, false leads and missed deadlines.

We were supposed to hear that the contract would be signed in the summer and that work would start in September. Then they said the contracts would be signed in September and work would start by the end of the year at the earliest, or more likely 2016. September is virtually over and the contracts have not been signed...

Don't be surprised if work does not start till late 2016 or after at this rate. No doubt the project will be re-announced by the government next week in their statement on the latest infrastructure spending initiative and the usual vague language will be used to indicate the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Bards

Just in time to be announced as part of the Government's new capital investment programme

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is the N30 leg being built to motorway or even DC standards?

L1011 wrote: »
    Is the N30 leg being built to motorway or even DC standards?

According to spacetweek's site the N30 is being done as S2 and the N80 part will be D2

• Registered Users Posts: 11 delaido

Contract was awarded ages ago.... But contracts yet to be signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Mott McDonald originally did the tender design for BAM but have been dropped in favour of Arup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Bards

delaido wrote: »
    Contract was awarded ages ago.... But contracts yet to be signed.

Preferred bidder status was decided ages ago, contract award and contract signing are the same thing

The contracts for this project have NOT been signed yet. The expectation was that they would be signed in September 2015 but this has not happened.

Its unlikely to happen within the next 2 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

Wexford People today

Wexford Co Co Roads department: All preliminary work complete, contracts should be signed first or second week of October, construction to start November.
    All nice and visible for a Spring election!

• Advertisement

Would be nice if this turns out to be true !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jd wrote: »
    Wexford People today

Wexford Co Co Roads department: All preliminary work complete, contracts should be signed first or second week of October, construction to start November.

Construction to start next month?? Subcontractors were told Spring was the start time.Maybe the government want it brought forward to try and garner a few more votes,or maybe I'm being cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

zerks wrote: »
    Construction to start next month?? Subcontractors were told Spring was the start time.Maybe the government want it brought forward to try and garner a few more votes,or maybe I'm being cynical.

Not cynical at all :D

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/exclusive-prepare-for-a-november-election-phil-hogan-tells-fine-gael-organisers-31569491.html

Wexford People today

The fact that this has only been reported in the Wexford People to date tells me to treat this claim with caution. When it appears in the Times or on the NRA website (how slow is that as a news source !) maybe we can believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

VR6 wrote: »
    The fact that this has only been reported in the Wexford People to date tells me to treat this claim with caution. When it appears in the Times or on the NRA website (how slow is that as a news source !) maybe we can believe it.

Article online in Wexford People today

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/november-start-date-for-bypasses-31570145.html
    Director of Services with Wexford County Council's Roads Department, Eamonn Hore told this newspaper that the contracts will be signed in the first or second week of October and work will begin shortly afterwards.

Mr Hore said: 'All preliminary works are completed and work should start in November. The timeline has gone from vague to definite and the contracts should be signed now in the first or second week of October. All court and property issues have been finalised. There is nothing remaining to be done apart from signing the contracts.'

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

At long last! This is a good scheme too! :D

Reuben1210 wrote: »

The exact same story appears in the Enniscorthy Guardian also. I want to believe it, but I will wait for confirmation from the NRA etc. Hopefully this will come in the next week or so.

Not sure it's quite as close as E Hore would like but then he wouldn't publicly state it without some confidence surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Reuben1210 wrote: »

jaysus, well have the best roads in the country and nobody on them neither

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote: »
    jaysus, well have the best roads in the country and nobody on them neither

Very eloquently expressed...

Advertisement