Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭josip

hi5 wrote: »
    The day the EIB signs the money over is the day the contracts will be signed, that's what happened with the M17/M18.
    According to the dates of approval New Ross bypass should be first to start.

http://www.eib.org/projects/pipeline/index.htm?start=&end=&status=&region=&country=ireland&sector=

Regardless of when it starts, the one thing we can be sure of in the world of infrastructural spin, is that it will be completed "on time and under budget". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

hi5 wrote: »
    The day the EIB signs the money over is the day the contracts will be signed, that's what happened with the M17/M18.
    According to the dates of approval New Ross bypass should be first to start.

http://www.eib.org/projects/pipeline/index.htm?start=&end=&status=&region=&country=ireland&sector=

both schemes are approved , so it cannot be assumed that the first approved will start first , the bridge is a complex project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

josip wrote: »
    Regardless of when it starts, the one thing we can be sure of in the world of infrastructural spin, is that it will be completed "on time and under budget". :rolleyes:

Most of those jobs are in fairness, all helped by severe penalties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

jca wrote: »
    Most of those jobs are in fairness, all helped by severe penalties.

And even more helped by the old Ryanair trick of pushing out the projected arrival time to allow for delays!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

So, since M11 Rathnew - Arklow scheme is now open when can we expect start on the Enniscorthy bypass?
    Any rumours or gossips when contract is going to be signed and when works might start?
    I guess the site must be fenced by now. I remember someone reported a while ago that fencing was ongoing.

Even if construction will start only next year (as some here predict) they could still sign contract soon and then progress with the detailed design process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

And even more helped by the old Ryanair trick of pushing out the projected arrival time to allow for delays!

I prefer that than for transport providers to have unrealistically short journey times shown on their timetables.

Better to arrive earlier than the timetabled arrival time than later than the timetabled arrival time.

If I get a Ryanair flight which is scheduled to arrive at 15.00 I know that I can safely book a bus departing the airport at 15.45 because I know that Ryanair allows for leeway in their timetable and that the flight will either arrive earlier than 15.00 or at 15.00.

If Ryanair's timetable said the flight arrives at 15.00 but it nearly always arrives late because Ryanair publish an unrealistic flight timetable, I can't safely make onwards travel arrangements for a 15.45 departure because I don't have any certainty.

There's nothing wrong with being cautious about the possibility of delays and publishing schedules to reflect those possibilities.

If something arrives earlier than the scheduled time, whether it be a new section of motorway or a flight, everyone's happy.

If the builders of this section of the M11 said that it would be completed by Spring 2015, everyone would have been complaining for the past couple of months that it was late!

It's far better for them to say it's going to be built by the end of 2015 and then get it opened well in advance of that projected completion schedule.

I prefer that than for transport providers to have unrealistically short journey times shown on their timetables.

You make some good points, sometimes I can be a bit cynical. It comes with experience. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

from the first page of this thread:
    This was delayed previously to allow for the integration of a bypass of Ferns and Camolin. It is likely to now be deferred further to allow for the integration of a bypass of Oilgate on the south side of Enniscorthy.
    shame they didn't follow through with the Oilgate plan - it will be left as the last non-bypassed village on the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Geogregor wrote: »
    So, since M11 Rathnew - Arklow scheme is now open when can we expect start on the Enniscorthy bypass?
    Any rumours or gossips when contract is going to be signed and when works might start?
    I guess the site must be fenced by now. I remember someone reported a while ago that fencing was ongoing.

Even if construction will start only next year (as some here predict) they could still sign contract soon and then progress with the detailed design process.

That was me who reported on routes being staked and fenced,machinery will be on site and working in the Spring 2016.It seems they don't want to be doing the heavy earthmoving through the Winter.

zerks wrote: »
    That was me who reported on routes being staked and fenced,machinery will be on site and working in the Spring 2016.It seems they don't want to be doing the heavy earthmoving through the Winter.

So, is the fencing finished along the whole scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Geogregor wrote: »
    So, is the fencing finished along the whole scheme?

Marker stakes all along the route,I only saw a couple of places where there's actual fencing.The stakes give a fair idea where the final route is.Some of the stakes were removed as farmers have corn sown.The groundworks won't start 'til Spring so work by landowners is going on as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

zerks wrote: »
    . . . It seems they don't want to be doing the heavy earthmoving through the Winter.

Quite often contractors will avoid moving clay during winter months because it will be wet and the soil will be a lot heavier to move around. This leads to difficulties with lorries sinking in soft ground, damaging roads, extra fuel costs, slower movement, etc etc. With the amount of earth to be moved, these impacts would be considerable.

Quite often contractors will avoid moving clay during winter months because it will be wet and the soil will be a lot heavier to move around. This leads to difficulties with lorries sinking in soft ground, damaging roads, extra fuel costs, slower movement, etc etc. With the amount of earth to be moved, these impacts would be considerable.

Yes, it's universal approach in many countries. But I would say winter weather has less influence in Irish climate than in continental Europe

At least you don't have to deal with frozen ground like we do in Poland. We can't really build embankments in winter because frozen soil doesn't settle properly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Which of the twelve months are considered winter? All of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Can't see " winter" being a decision to start or stop anything in Ireland

any month with an "R" in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

loyatemu wrote: »
    from the first page of this thread:

shame they didn't follow through with the Oilgate plan - it will be left as the last non-bypassed village on the N11.

Totally agree. Not including Oilgate in the Enniscorthy bypass defies all possible logic. What could be the basis for such a ridiculous decision ?

It seems like a lack of joined up thinking. Either that or the village is one big traffic calming measure !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

VR6 wrote: »
    Totally agree. Not including Oilgate in the Enniscorthy bypass defies all possible logic. What could be the basis for such a ridiculous decision ?

It seems like a lack of joined up thinking. Either that or the village is one big traffic calming measure !

It's annoying, but it may have been to do with the possible routes for the final section(s) to Rosslare.

Yeah, in the South and West it would appear that is correct. Thank God for the East coast, eh? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is just that mid July I would not expect to have heating on. Yesterday it was 14 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Wouldn't there be a big tailoff in traffic after Enniscorthy heading south?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

spacetweek wrote: »

Yes but you still wouldn't end a dual carriage from Belfast in a village, surely you'd end it immediately after it. I'm guessing this is because the original plan was to continue it from there all the way to Rosslare.

It won't be addressed now as clarifying they are not doing it because they still plan to go ahead with that stretch will lose votes and it may be too late to add it to the design plus it also signals they are going to do the final stretch to Rosslare which on the broader scale is also a negative message they won't want to give before an election.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

PoolDude wrote: »
    Yes but you still wouldn't end a dual carriage from Belfast in a village, surely you'd end it immediately after it. I'm guessing this is because the original plan was to continue it from there all the way to Rosslare.
    Still not feeling like it's a big deal. Just because it's E01 and connects Larne to Rosslare doesn't mean that many people are ever going to need to do that. Rosslare Port has long since entered a twilight.

Although it's confirmed N11/N25 Oilgate-Rosslare won't take place in the current round of road financing, that only puts it off until the 2020s, when I predict it will happen quickly. All in good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭nowecant

Rosslare Port has long since entered a twilight.

Perhaps connecting it to the growing national motorway network would help. I always felt that Roslare, Foynes etc should have got priority for future development.

Still not feeling like it's a big deal. Just because it's E01 and connects Larne to Rosslare doesn't mean that many people are ever going to need to do that. Rosslare Port has long since entered a twilight.

Although it's confirmed N11/N25 Oilgate-Rosslare won't take place in the current round of road financing, that only puts it off until the 2020s, when I predict it will happen quickly. All in good time.

Rosslare as you point out is not a big deal, but Wexford is a pretty big town, seems silly to leave one small bottleneck between Dublin and Wexford for the sake of a few KM extra on a 40KM scheme. But I guess the planning is all done and no-one wants any further delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Looking at the NRA traffic counters there is a bit of a drop at Enniscorthy 14k aadt (north of Enniscorthy near N80 turnoff) down to 12.5K between Oilgate and Ferrycarrig. This has fallen to sub 7k by the time it gets to Rosslare.

I've always thought that the entire road (Oilgate to Rosslare) was hard to justify but the northern end (to South of Wexford town) could stand up to scrutiny. Particularly when you consider a lot of traffic from the south of the county heading north seems to use the R741 road as far as Gorey - you would have to assume that at least some of this will divert to a 120kph road when it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Looks like financial close will be reached around late August/ early September, at which point detailed design can commence, so on site perhaps January/ February

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭josip

Looks like financial close will be reached around late August/ early September, at which point detailed design can commence, so on site perhaps January/ February

To drive a few stakes and take soil moisture readings until April/May

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭VR6

Looking at the NRA traffic counters there is a bit of a drop at Enniscorthy 14k aadt (north of Enniscorthy near N80 turnoff) down to 12.5K between Oilgate and Ferrycarrig. This has fallen to sub 7k by the time it gets to Rosslare.

I've always thought that the entire road (Oilgate to Rosslare) was hard to justify but the northern end (to South of Wexford town) could stand up to scrutiny. Particularly when you consider a lot of traffic from the south of the county heading north seems to use the R741 road as far as Gorey - you would have to assume that at least some of this will divert to a 120kph road when it's available.

They should at least bypass Oilgate asap with a wide single carriageway then ?

• Advertisement

They should at least bypass Oilgate asap with a wide single carriageway then ?

they're only planning 2+2 for the remainder of the N11 so they might as well do that - the cost difference is minimal.

Advertisement