Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

were you tent hopping a lot or did you manage to clone yourself?

They were next door to each other so they must have done half and half, I done Chvrches then unto Yasiin Bey next door followed by Hopkins, same the following night with FKA twigs and jumping over to Paul Kalkbrenner.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

They were next door to each other so they must have done half and half, I done Chvrches then unto Yasiin Bey next door followed by Hopkins, same the following night with FKA twigs and jumping over to Paul Kalkbrenner.

yeah I know, I was at Le Galaxie at the expense of missing Tame Impala, I would have found it hard to leave one for the other when the place is hopping.
    I would rarely leave a gig in a tent because the vibe was so good, the main stage however I would pop in and out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I am just listening to system of a down at the moment and thinking to myself, hmm. Not a perfect fit but neither was Ellie f**king Goulding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone any idea of when the first announcement of acts will be?

Synode wrote: »
    Anyone any idea of when the first announcement of acts will be?

Near Xmas maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

First announcement for 2015 wasn't made until March IIRC

maximoose wrote: »
    First announcement for 2015 wasn't made until March IIRC

Wrong, it was about 20th or 22nd December with Belle & Sebastian and Jon Hopkins I think was announced either on Xmas day or St Stephen's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Oh yeah forgot they announced 4 or 5 around christmas, first "wave" was in March when they added ~30 odd acts

So do we reckon another capacity increase is coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,212 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

were you tent hopping a lot or did you manage to clone yourself?

That was one of the clashes where I did a half and half. The tents were very close together.

Whereas with Sultans of Ping and Blur, I did the former then legged it for the 2nd hour of Blur :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

maximoose wrote: »

So do we reckon another capacity increase is coming?

I don't think so. Any bigger and they're going to jeopardise their licence. Maybe a few thousand extra but nothing massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

well they've had licence increases for each of the last 3 years, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they manage to get one for another 5000. there's enough room for them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

well they've had licence increases for each of the last 3 years, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they manage to get one for another 5000. there's enough room for them anyway.

If they do add another 5000 i hope they put more than 5 ****ing portaloo's in each men's section.

Hour+ long queue's at 8am on Saturday & Sunday mornings wasn't fun at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

5k would be a hell of a jump again, could see them rounding up to 50K though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

For those complaining of the cold, I highly recommend a 5cm (don't bother with 3cm) self-inflating mat (not an airbed) which will come up in both Lidl and Aldi next year once the camping season starts.

Small enough to tie on to your ruck sack or whatever and you will not regret it! Comfy and insulates.

Enjoyed reading everyones write-ups. I forgot about Jurassic 5….one of our favourites of the weekend. They really know how to entertain a crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

sadie06 wrote: »
    For those complaining of the cold, I highly recommend a 5cm (don't bother with 3cm) self-inflating mat (not an airbed) which will come up in both Lidl and Aldi next year once the camping season starts.

Damn straight, 53 degrees north has them at reasonable prices at the moment (http://bit.ly/1KdGTqT), i got a pair of vango adventure xl the week before picnic for i think 30 notes each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I am preparing for my final festival of the year, "Spirit of Folk Festival" (http://spiritoffolk.com/), next weekend.

I am doing an app for them although to be honest there are only a few stages and they could easily do without an app.

Our family (including the dog) have gone to this for the last few years and it is the loveliest relaxing end to the festie season. BYOB/Free Flow drinks policy. There are no big acts and plenty of Shamanic Drums and Yoga type things going on. Its no so much about the music as about just chilling out for a couple of days in a beautiful setting. Having said that I have seen some great musicians at this in the last couple of years. This year they have Mick Flannery on the Saturday.

If anyone is looking for an slow slide out of the festival season this coming weekend, I have a few discount codes that will get you a ticket for €60. PM me if you want a code.

BYOB ftw.

sadie06 wrote: »

Small enough to tie on to your ruck sack or whatever and you will not regret it! Comfy and insulates.

Enjoyed reading everyones write-ups. I forgot about Jurassic 5….one of our favourites of the weekend. They really know how to entertain a crowd!

That was a great set .. and to be honest that is where we should have all met up.

Next year we should go for the Sunday afternoon as well as the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Jurassic 5 were my fav of the whole weekend too.

Jurassic 5 were great, but Jon Hopkins hands down was my highlight of the Picnic, I'm still hearing sounds whirring about my head from that gig.

Jurassic 5 were great, but Jon Hopkins hands down was my highlight of the Picnic, I'm still hearing sounds whirring about my head from that gig.

I passed on Hopkins having seen him a few times over the last few years. Went to Shamir instead and that was bloody brilliant, was not sorry at all.

My absolute highlight (and also the highlight for my better half surprisingly) had to be the incredible set from Battles a couple of hours earlier... one of the most amazing sets I have seen in years. When we left my missus said "If you had described that to me, I would not have gone, but I have to admit that that was stunning!"

• Advertisement

Yeah I seen him twice at Body & Soul too, but when I seen that Glastonbury set and heard some of the new stuff, I was as hooked as I ever was. I never got a chance to try your app Pablo as I have too old a phone, but I passed your link onto mates with Android smart phones and they were pretty impressed with it, they thought the official EP one was crap compared. I hope my info about the tents helped, a lot of them weren't raised until Wednesday evening and Thursday evening. Sorry I didn't get to Trailer park or Salty Dog at the time you were wanting info, was probably flying through space when not working sometimes heh heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Argh! I forgot about Battles!!

They were immense.

Yeah I seen him twice at Body & Soul too, but when I seen that Glastonbury set and heard some of the new stuff, I was as hooked as I ever was. I never got a chance to try your app Pablo as I have too old a phone, but I passed your link onto mates with Android smart phones and they were pretty impressed with it, they thought the official EP one was crap compared. I hope my info about the tents helped, a lot of them weren't raised until Wednesday evening and Thursday evening. Sorry I didn't get to Trailer park or Salty Dog at the time you were wanting info, was probably flying through space when not working sometimes heh heh.

Ah the info on the tents was great cheers for that. I had to resist hopkins this time sadly, but Shamir was damn good so at least it wasn't a wrong turn. What was your impression of B&S@ep this year? I see a few people itt saying that something was amiss.

Toulouse wrote: »
    Argh! I forgot about Battles!!

They were immense.
    Immense is the perfect word :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Immense is the perfect word :)

Are you the guy who did the app?

If so, immense is the word for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

andreac wrote: »
    Jurassic 5 were my fav of the whole weekend too.

Totally agree and i think the time of day worked well, contrary to what i thought they were perfect to get Sunday going. They have such a big crowd by the end of the set too.

Hopkins was a great as always, although seeing once every year is a bit much especially since he almost does the same opening sequence.

Battles, favorite of the weekend probably . Favorite moment of the weekend was atlas probably.

Biggest surprise probably was HO99O9, mosh pits at body and soul stage, 20 second punk songs just mayhem really, watching people walk away in disgust.

It was great , a perfect anditote to the endless shoe gazey, synth poppy , new wavey, housey, lads with laptopsy, acousticy stuff that makes up the picnic nowadays.

Ah the info on the tents was great cheers for that. I had to resist hopkins this time sadly, but Shamir was damn good so at least it wasn't a wrong turn. What was your impression of B&S@ep this year? I see a few people itt saying that something was amiss.

I didn't really see anything amiss there that magic is still there just check the Daithi video for that electronic quirk. I reckon its just people getting older and a bit bored with it I suppose. A lot of it is essentially the same as its ever been but I still think its a nice wee paradise to pop into out of the main thoroughfare.
    When it comes down to it Electric Picnic is the centre but there is umbrellas of umbrellas of organisation within, Body & Soul itself, Natashas Kitchen, they are all different groups working together. One lot runs the Earthship another lot run the B&S main stage. Various pop up marching troupes in fancy dress probably coming from acts like Macnas in Galway and Spraoi in Waterford would be part of it too. If you looked at Trailer Park this year thats almost the size of the B&S Village itself, Trenchtown has got bigger too. So many different arts and businesses involved with it, its mental, its mad but its great. :)

I didn't really see anything amiss there that magic is still there just check the Daithi video for that electronic quirk. I reckon its just people getting older and a bit bored with it I suppose. A lot of it is essentially the same as its ever been but I still think its a nice wee paradise to pop into out of the main thoroughfare.
    When it comes down to it Electric Picnic is the centre but there is umbrellas of umbrellas of organisation within, Body & Soul itself, Natashas Kitchen, they are all different groups working together. One lot runs the Earthship another lot run the B&S main stage. Various pop up marching troupes in fancy dress probably coming from acts like Macnas in Galway and Spraoi in Waterford would be part of it too. If you looked at Trailer Park this year thats almost the size of the B&S Village itself, Trenchtown has got bigger too. So many different arts and businesses involved with it, its mental, its mad but its great. :)
    Trailer Park this year and last year has been my favourite spot, especially late at night. It was for us the best spot both 14 & 15. My favourite new spot this year was Guerrilla Ariel, that was the best new thing for me (Despacio is not a new thing as it was just booked as a three night deal. I reckon James Murphy won't tour that next year. so that was despacio@ep, imo).

LCD Soundsystem are still my favourite EP act of all EPs, multiple times over, and again... please! ... wouldn't that be nice?.

Trailer Park this year and last year has been my favourite spot, especially late at night. It was for us the best spot both 14 & 15. My favourite new spot this year was Guerrilla Ariel, that was the best new thing for me (Despacio is not a new thing as it was just booked as a three night deal. I reckon James Murphy won't tour that next year. so that was despacio@ep, imo).

LCD Soundsystem are still my favourite EP act of all EPs, multiple times over, and again... please! ... wouldn't that be nice?.

Yeah I caught LCD the three times they played the Picnic too, the 2005 one was unreal, Herbaliser then Toots and the Maytals followed by LCD Soundsystem, they splayed me, they were just unreal, stuff like Movement, Where Is Love and I'm Loosing my Edge. Their energy was quite incredible.

• Advertisement

Yeah I caught LCD the three times they played the Picnic too, the 2005 one was unreal, Herbaliser then Toots and the Maytals followed by LCD Soundsystem, they splayed me, they were just unreal, stuff like Movement, Where Is Love and I'm Loosing my Edge. Their energy was quite incredible.

That Sunny Saturday afternoon on the main stage playing Paperclip People "Throw". 2005 was magical alright..

Advertisement