Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ned_strange

Of the changes I noticed from last year's the most negative for Me was the addition of the hurdy gurdys / amusements parked right in front of global green area. Not so peaceful there this year. On the positive though wasn't despacio just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

can anybody who went to family camping, would they recommend family camping site 1 or 2. im inclined to go to camping site 2 as it is closer.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

rameire wrote: »
    can anybody who went to family camping, would they recommend family camping site 1 or 2. im inclined to go to camping site 2 as it is closer.

I never went to 2, but 1 was a five min walk max into the arena.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Forgot to mention what an excellent surprise Wyvern Lingo were opening the EA on Sunday, they really owned the stage and seemed to just be having a lot of fun. Anyone else catch their set? Will definitely be checking them out again. This video retweeted by EP on twitter reminded me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBj_AZujk4I&feature=youtu.be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

Of the changes I noticed from last year's the most negative for Me was the addition of the hurdy gurdys / amusements parked right in front of global green area. Not so peaceful there this year. On the positive though wasn't despacio just brilliant.

Yeah, it was bad idea having them there. I watched an acoustic set by Elephant (who was excellent) on the Sunday and the music from the amusements were a big distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PerryGroves7

Wow, what a weekend. Only just starting to feel vaguely human now, although if this heartburn doesn't end soon I don't know what I'll do! :|

I've been following the EP boards from afar (UK) for a couple of years now, but felt it was time to say a few words on my festival experience.

Last year was my first major festival and I was absolutely smitten. This year my attendance was never in doubt, and barring any major setbacks, I'll be there next year without a doubt.

I'll say this much on the talk of where the festival is headed (I appreciate I've only been to '14 and '15). Things are cyclical in nature and changes are inevitable. If something is really ****ing good, then more people will want to join the party. If what made it so good in the first place was a sense of intimacy and quirkiness, then I'm sure something will come along and redress the balance if and when it's needed. As far as I'm concerned, it's a largely magical festival and the more you explore, the more you'll be rewarded. Some things are ugly. Some are in your face. But take what you like and leave the rest. I'll definitely be staying along for the ride for as long as it feels anything like how it does at present.

Also, a massive part of the magic of EP is the people who attend it. (Having so many wonderful Irish certainly helps!) There are few things that give me a bigger buzz than chatting away to a total stranger who is just as happy to be there as I am.
    Case in point. I went to tame impala on my own because my group all wanted to see Florence. No probs! I find a spot and after about a minute or two, the guy on my left gives me a nudge and offers me his spliff. Grand! Not being used to this sort of generosity in England ;) I decide the only way to make good on this is by way of exchange and give him my beer. So as the set goes from strength to strength, we've basically become best buds sharing weed and beer, then the girl to my right puts her arm around me and hugs the life out of me for the next 30 minutes. Honestly, I had 15 of my mates elsewhere, I'm in a tent "alone" and I couldn't have been happier.

This sort of stuff happened countless times over the weekend.

I was at Shamir with a friend at B&S ~3am, a little worse for wear, we met this sound guy called Connor, spent the rest of the set with him and then huddled around the fire till 5 ish drinking hot toddies from the tea shop!
    Of all the people, who walks up to me through the crowd at Jurassic5 the following afternoon with bleary eyes than Connor. The smiles on our faces.

This is what makes the picnic special for me. That and the fact I go with a bunch of the soundest friends you could ask for, where I know regardless of who's headlining or how garish the e-lites set up is, we will have a phenomenal weekend.

Some notable mentions go to;
    Despacio
    Future islands
    The riptide movement
    Lapsley
    Jack Garrett
    Honne
    Shamir
    War on Drugs (unreal)
    Tame impala
    Blur
    j5
    Underworld
    Dj closing in the woods on Friday - brilliant.
    And much more.

Anyway I apologise for the tedious long ramble, I've been largely unable to speak for the past 4 days so it had to find a way out somewhere!

Edit: Pablo, I was hoping to drag the gang to BBB to thank you in person but we got distracted (as seems to happen a lot at EP). The app was brilliant and loads of our group were using it, all swearing it was the premier EP app. Good job sir, and thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its just not the same without these mad thumps and the lasers through the trees.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 PerryGroves7

Its just not the same without these mad thumps and the lasers through the trees.

I've only been getting into techno over the last year, (actually come to think of it, I think Sunil last year had something to do with it) but the woods really do need Techno. Nothing else really seems right somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

...the woods really do need Techno. Nothing else really seems right somehow.

For all the questions raised at the time when RBMA first took it over and now this year playing house instead of techno, just be thankful we still don't have to listen to the endless filtered-sawtooth psytrance bullshit.

Horrible crap altogether.

Seriously appalling, lowest common denominator "I'm on drugs" shite.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    For all the questions raised at the time when RBMA first took it over and now this year playing house instead of techno, just be thankful we still don't have to listen to the endless filtered-sawtooth psytrance bullshit.

Did ya know music is subjective

Did ya know music is subjective

Yes. You've enlightened me and now I know that I'm not allowed to dislike anything if other people like it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I think he meant instead of

"Seriously appalling, lowest common denominator "I'm on drugs" ****e."

You might have said

"Really not my scene at all, I for one am glad they've moved away from this stuff."

to avoid sounding like a douchebag?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

grindle wrote: »

Ya, people who hear psytrance for the first time are in for a shock, i used find it comical at times some of the drops and build ups were hilarious. As some one said "for lots of electronic musics it is enhance by being on drugs, pystrance just sounds like drugs"

I wouldn't exactly call it common denominator, the ways its done has a purpose but intended for those on a mix of pills and pychedelics or 2 cb or whatever. The fast pulsing rythym beats and baselines are based on binaural rythyms which by themselves many claim can put you in a trance like meditative state etc. These beats and rythyms are used in quackery practices as therapy for all sorts of illnesses.
    So ya its all about the trip really, although i don't get how something so ear bleeding and sometimes aggressive can be good for that. Its definitely the electronic genre most geared towards drugs.

I don't miss it at all , it was good for a laugh for half an hour to see all the heads down there but ya the woods can be used better.

Techno works very well down there, some old skool acid house would be great , DnB even. House is fine but there were so many places churning run of the mill house sets all weekend.
    What you'll find is that Techno DJs are more about the aesthetic and more into finding stuff that works with setting around them as opposed to just how the crowd reacts, its why the berghain regulars like Klock , Joy Orbison etc. worked very well down there. I really wish the had booked Marcel Dettmann, he would have been perfect.

like a douchebag

Great point. I'll be more diplomatic about art when I dislike it, but harshly criticise people.
    lbj666 wrote: »
    it was good for a laugh for half an hour to see all the heads down there but ya the woods can be used better.

Basically what I was getting at, that even with house playing the woods area is being used better than those days (IMO - just in case anybody doesn't realise that one person's opinion isn't supposed to represent all opinions) but RBMA have done enough of this around the world to know what would work perfectly in that setting.

If they're going to be lazy about curating it'd be great if they let other people or labels do it for them. Let Audion, Dave Clarke, Ostgut Ton, Dekmantel...anybody with a history of good taste (IMO, obviously subjective, IMO), just let them curate a night each and it'd be close to perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Saw some bloke on Sunday queuing up beside me and the missus to get into the main arena from salty dog with a Bulmers box as a hat, turned to him and complimented his hat and he told me there was 6 cans in it haha mad fúcker managed to sneak them into the arena and all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Reefer84

Anyone else suffering from post EP blues? :( Please help!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Reefer84 wrote: »
    Anyone else suffering from post EP blues? :( Please help!!!!

Yup. Am also dying of a chest infection. I swear to God I'm giving up smoking by next year's EP

Synode wrote: »
    Yup. Am also dying of a chest infection. I swear to God I'm giving up smoking by next year's EP

Oh no :(

I am going through the "this time last week" phase right now. Just want it to happen all over again. Sounds very dramatic lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Oh no :(

I am going through the "this time last week" phase right now. Just want it to happen all over again. Sounds very dramatic lol

Packing the car this time last week. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

sadie06 wrote: »

I was in the god-awful Paintball entrance queue trying to get in.

:(:( Its not fair..

Anyone getting ticket today for next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I did this morning. I have to get in early as family camping sells out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

My friend that stayed with me got hers. I cant afford mine for another couple of months :(

I did this morning. I have to get in early as family camping sells out.

Aw, deadly! How many times have you been?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Yep, just got ours there now.
    My liver went into convulsions when i hit purchase now...

andreac wrote: »
    My friend that stayed with me got hers. I cant afford mine for another couple of months :(

Yeah, I am the same. Need to get over this depression first too and not just buy one in the hope that I can re-create a wonderful weekend. It was my first time so that's why i think I am feeling worse that it's over! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Have any of you applied for the loyalty code/

I sent in my info this morning and just wondering how long it takes for a response!

• Advertisement

Have any of you applied for the loyalty code/

I sent in my info this morning and just wondering how long it takes for a response!

No, What is it that you need to send in?

Advertisement