Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grain price.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Blackgrass wrote: »
    Weather was good when dry and love my nights worked well 2 weeks good weather at start of August then been case of 2-3 good days wet for combining a few days so worked well so far with 90% dry or case of taking out less than 1% to be safe in store or 1st few loads in am to get going. Have dried 22+% loads for 1 person in feed wheat, about 16 pounds/ton drying cost and we'd have an efficient drier but needs to run continuously. Have a study on heat recovery being done on the warm moist air exiting, to pre-heat the cold air going in. Looking basically blow hot moist air over pipes feeding cold air entering and water seperation to lower humidity- less fuel needed or small biomass burner.
    Have plans for a drying floor but costs at best is looking 120-130/ton when there's a big stinking drier next door, but merchant pushing to use for more customers with ageing facilities ie lorry here tip then reload dry back to farm, few contract farmers doing this with trailers now to make the 15mile carts less crazy when on farm stores built for 25-30/t hr not 50.
    Doesn't worry me too much as gives us essentially free storage and a lot more than some! But looking to keep as far away from a yard of loaders/circus as can is main aim.

A couple of weeks of dry weather is hard to beat. Family at home have 800+ acres of wheat to cut and can't get in to it. They buy in a 30k tons so don't want to choke the system with wheat 26+%.

I often wondered about the efficiency of dryers with heat/steam billowing from them. Good thing that diesel has dropped in price...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Dawggone wrote: »
    A couple of weeks of dry weather is hard to beat. Family at home have 800+ acres of wheat to cut and can't get in to it. They buy in a 30k tons so don't want to choke the system with wheat 26+%.

I often wondered about the efficiency of dryers with heat/steam billowing from them. Good thing that diesel has dropped in price...

Busy people then! What size drier have they? Buying in brings alot more hassel vs let someone else and charge alot for the work!

Looking at a way of getting the moisture humidity down on the air entering as then fuel use drops off a cliff if just heating air and not 'drying' it. Down about 40 as we can use seconds stuff that was dirty etc have a 10+ and 10- micron filters in line so usually catch it but just being burned abyway so no biggy.

Busy people then! What size drier have they? Buying in brings alot more hassel vs let someone else and charge alot for the work!

Looking at a way of getting the moisture humidity down on the air entering as then fuel use drops off a cliff if just heating air and not 'drying' it. Down about 40 as we can use seconds stuff that was dirty etc have a 10+ and 10- micron filters in line so usually catch it but just being burned abyway so no biggy.

2x150 tph.
    Every Tom,Dick and Harry queuing with trailers from 10 to 20 tons with different moisture wheat is a nightmare. I always reckoned it would be easier to buy from the boat...but if you sell the chems/fert etc you also have to buy the farmers produce...

2x150 tph.
    Every Tom,Dick and Harry queuing with trailers from 10 to 20 tons with different moisture wheat is a nightmare. I always reckoned it would be easier to buy from the boat...but if you sell the chems/fert etc you also have to buy the farmers produce...

Do they have thick rubbery knecks is for that game or just a case of no arguing. Lots of fun impossible to set a drier unless big piles of grain everywhere. Would they have a concrete type moisture probe to adjust on the fly otherwise end up with stuff 12-16% and everything else in between.

Do they have thick rubbery knecks is for that game or just a case of no arguing. Lots of fun impossible to set a drier unless big piles of grain everywhere. Would they have a concrete type moisture probe to adjust on the fly otherwise end up with stuff 12-16% and everything else in between.

Mostly 13 - 16% but not really bad as most goes through the mill.

• Advertisement

Mostly 13 - 16% but not really bad as most goes through the mill.

Have had that before nighshifting as a student, 2 heaps that were very wet then dry wet and ran out of space and heaped it together. A lottery every 10 mins as to moisture out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

How much of the 10k is due to the distortion caused by monied clients trying to reduce tax bills? I seem to remember this being trendy in the late seventies as well. There was a fairly significant fall out from this afair. A lot of bad management and owners losing interest, places slowly coming apart. Some of your posts over the past few days might be the first few pebbles of the landslide or could be a one off. "To the Manor Born" was a sitcom based on the premise. Nouveau riche trader buys distressed estate and all the pitfalls he has to negotiate.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/sep/02/britain-farmland-tax-haven-reform?CMP=fb_gu

The scots want a new age land commission and get rid of any farms over x size essentially the old time estates as the snp hate anyone not from a local authority benefits housing estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

But, but..... "Big Ag".....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Lads ye don't need to go to England to find big money buying up all the land

Around here Coolmore Stud must be after purchasing, at a very rough guess, 5,000 acres in the last 5 years. and that's just the bits I know about - it could be a lot more. I can name 2,000 acres off the top of my head that they have purchased in the last 18 months alone.

They are gazumping on deals that are already done and everything. One guy had a deal done and when he went to finalise the following Monday he was informed that they had offered 250k more than he had agreed, nothing he could do only let them off.

They have only been beaten once that I have heard of, huge farm in Tipp up for sale in the mid noughties by public auction. They are bidding away like mad and so is this other fella, a fairly regular looking farmer, anyway the land is up around 25k an acre (for 400 acres approx.) so you are talking big money here, and the farmer is bidding away and Coolmore think yer man is only pushing it on on them so they stop. Turns out the farmer had received a shed load of money for development land so he was good for it. They contacted him almost immediately after the sale and offered him 1m more than what he paid for it. That's 1m extra before he had even set foot in the place after the auction

so Teagasc and whoever can talk all they want about farm consolidation etc, but let me tell you with Coolmore Stud around there isn't a hope in hell of any farmer buying any land of any quality. Because if they want it they get it - its that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Panch18 wrote: »

Around here Coolmore Stud must be after purchasing, at a very rough guess, 5,000 acres in the last 5 years. and that's just the bits I know about - it could be a lot more. I can name 2,000 acres off the top of my head that they have purchased in the last 18 months alone.

They are gazumping on deals that are already done and everything. One guy had a deal done and when he went to finalise the following Monday he was informed that they had offered 250k more than he had agreed, nothing he could do only let them off.

They have only been beaten once that I have heard of, huge farm in Tipp up for sale in the mid noughties by public auction. They are bidding away like mad and so is this other fella, a fairly regular looking farmer, anyway the land is up around 25k an acre (for 400 acres approx.) so you are talking big money here, and the farmer is bidding away and Coolmore think yer man is only pushing it on on them so they stop. Turns out the farmer had received a shed load of money for development land so he was good for it. They contacted him almost immediately after the sale and offered him 1m more than what he paid for it. That's 1m extra before he had even set foot in the place after the auction

so Teagasc and whoever can talk all they want about farm consolidation etc, but let me tell you with Coolmore Stud around there isn't a hope in hell of any farmer buying any land of any quality. Because if they want it they get it - its that simple.

It's simple. They have to do something with all the money the horses bring in.
    I was at a wedding in lutteralstown castle 6 wks ago that had 400ac owned by jp mac manus.
    Costs 60k just to book it out for the weekend

It's simple. They have to do something with all the money the horses bring in.
    I was at a wedding in lutteralstown castle 6 wks ago that had 400ac owned by jp mac manus.
    Costs 60k just to book it out for the weekend

Wow look at you hanging with the big wigs:)

amazing what tax breaks can do for some people!!

Wow look at you hanging with the big wigs:)

amazing what tax breaks can do for some people!!

The tax breaks is JP and Coolmore, not you GreenGrass!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Very simple, put your farm up for sale take the €25k per acre and buy 30% more elsewhere

The scots want a new age land commission and get rid of any farms over x size essentially the old time estates as the snp hate anyone not from a local authority benefits housing estate.

I reckon the Scots aren't forgetting the "clearances"....
    Scots are a bit like the Irish, long memory.

Very simple, put your farm up for sale take the €25k per acre and buy 30% more elsewhere

And where in this country would you get land as good as South Tipperary land??

Lol. You beat me to it Frazz.
    Pretty much a no-brainer!

Easily sorted..

Easily sorted..

yeah right

yeah right

If you go far enough from S Tipp there are vast tracts of land more fertile and productive.

• Advertisement

If you go far enough from S Tipp there are vast tracts of land more fertile and productive.

We don't intend in going to the Pampas in Argentina or anything like that

and why the f##k should we

We don't intend in going to the Pampas in Argentina or anything like that

and why the f##k should we

I'd be in better form if I knew that my biteen was worth €25k/acre...

:)

an example of places they have bought in the last year

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/10mplus-payout-by-coolmore-for-tipp-farm-29078925.html

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/business/marlfield-estate-on-the-market-with-guide-price-of-8-million-1-6183617

This is only 2 of their recent purchases - there are many many more. Mostly of similar size but recently they have started buying any size regardless of whether its near them or not

and the one that got away
    http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/955m-tipperary-farm-sold-for-over-double-guide-price-25922655.html

I'd be in better form if I knew that my biteen was worth €25k/acre...

:)

We're in the business of buying land not selling it!!

Same here.

Any where. Plenty farms further up the country growing more grass than farms in tipp

We sold land for 20k and bought 3 times what we had for 10k/ ac.

We could still be there moaning if we wanted

Any where. Plenty farms further up the country growing more grass than farms in tipp

Hmmm - I'm not buying it - and if they are growing in then they can't utilise it

We sold land for 20k and bought 3 times what we had for 10k/ ac.

We could still be there moaning if we wanted

Hey I'm not moaning - we have enough land and are fortunate enough that we will never be in a position where we have to sell out to coolmore or anybody else for that matter - certainly without it being our choice.

I am merely highlighting the fact that it is not just the UK where billionaires are dumping huge amounts of money into farmland. It's happening much closer to home and on a bigger scale than has ever been seen in this country

and the driving force behind it is a tax concession that was given 50 years ago

Anyway it won't be long till they head southeast - lets see if you are as happy about them then!!

• Advertisement

I reckon the Scots aren't forgetting the "clearances"....
    Scots are a bit like the Irish, long memory.

This isn't long memory this is like your 'Austerity alliance' nut house being given a tiny bit of power for ensuring the Labour party will be out of power for a long time by Conservatives.
    What ever the cause and solution:confused: in Bogmans link seeing the human factor yourself around here leaves a sour taste. Big boss was offered almost a blank cheque to build on to the local village which the estate owns about half of, doesn't need money.
    Was helping a local farm out, guy who worked(weekends/partime) with his father until he died during the spring. Old man did most the work pottering away on his own at a steady pace no rush. This summer hasn't gone to plan, matey dropped into the yard in a panic yesterday morning could we cut about the last 60 acres of wheat. Gone too late to get back into osr really so go into beans, grand suited us 5 mile cart after 4/5 loads could start bringing back feed wheat dry and tip in his shed to cut down empty an journey as starting to chit in ear so it wants doing. Started today went 200m 24%... lovely. So whats the future for this farm, lease out to one of the many farms or even big contractor that'd chew their arm off for a few acres more or carry on farming.

Advertisement