Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sense8 [Netflix] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Watched it all over the weekend. Excellent show. So its clearly sci-fi/fantasy but whats great is the show isnt about that so much, its much more about the connections between these people, their interactions and how they become comfortable with who they are, as individuals and as a unit.

First 2 episodes are slow to kick off for sure but its worth sticking with. After that its really interesting to see the people go from "what the hell is wrong with me", to the whole thing becoming a reflex reaction to a situation, they become a singular unit, drawing on each others strengths.

Some great comedic scenes, almost slapstick with Lito throughout also, he's the unassuming clown.

Nomi does get a little annoying at times, she feels a litlte overacted, but not so much that she should be axed.

The last episode, though explained a lot was also the biggest letdown overall. Thats not to say it was bad, but when held up to the high standard of the rest of the series its not the one id rate highest by far.

Its scify/fantasy so we all know we have to suspend belief quite a bit, but they got the usual stupid things wrong just to help push the story along, things like
    the hacker dude turning up just at the right time with some spare equipment
    or
    how they knew to chose this particular car as it would emit a lot of smoke if the oil line was pulled at a ceratin point, im not sur ejust who would know htat, and particularly not a free thinking costume artist
    or
    the usual easy to kill evil minions who outnumber the protagonist yet are still completely useless
    . Silly things that could have been easily remedied with a little bit of time and thinking into the story.

The overall arc and story line is good though and i really hope they let this one run through the 5 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Also how many of those types of cars would be available for rent in Iceland? even privately?

Though I don't mind those small coincidences.

I didn't think the connections were good the Mexican did seem to participate until the very end.
    his chatting up of the nurse would have been funnier as the cop as it would be way more out of character

I guess the Mexican just didn't have anything to participate in until the end. He is one of the few (including the Icelandic girl) who has no useable skills.

Cop - general cop stuff and shooting
    African guy - driving
    Asian woman - martial arts
    American woman - hacking
    German guy - general badassery
    Indian woman - her skill knowledge of chemicals

The Mexican guy can only really act and.. I really can't remember if the Icelandic girl had anything to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

The Mexican guy can only really act and.. I really can't remember if the Icelandic girl had anything to offer.

His skill is lying convincingly, but yea, its a bit of a loose skill for sure.

I think thats on purpose though, as the show is primarily about connections & a huge level of empathy between people. I dont think they were ever meant to be some kind of crime fighting super hero team. their skills are more an instrument to move the plot along rather than a focal point of the show.

Who knows, maybe Riley's skill will be kind of like that kid who had "heart" in Captain Planet!

If it goes to another few series though i have a feeling she will become
    the new Angellica or "mother" to other clusters
    . It fits in well with her story arc. We just havnt seen her area of specialty yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Who knows, maybe Riley's skill will be kind of like that kid who had "heart" in Captain Planet!

Ugh, he had the worst power. That kid's only saving grace was he also had a monkey...

• Advertisement

Ugh, he had the worst power. That kid's only saving grace was he also had a monkey...

She is able for a high level of drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Finished it last week and meant to check back in here.

Its definitely a show thats worth a watch, and I'd have no problem in signing up for a second season, but i do think that they need to be careful not to fall into nonsensical items as mentioned earlier
    distracting the guards with the burning car was terrible really, and also that area of the mountain where the cop and riley couldn't be contacted, what was that all about? Also, how in the name of physics did wolfgang as a child get his overweight fathers body into the car to set fire to it?

The good parts are really good though,
    I thought that the background story for Riley was particularly heartbreaking, and Wolfgangs story came to a great conclusion too.

The good parts are really good though,
    I thought that the background story for Riley was particularly heartbreaking, and Wolfgangs story came to a great conclusion too.

Yes agree, while not a fan of the whole series I thought they were the best stories.
    Reilly's was the most connect and most developed
    however
    Wolfgang's story, while good, could easily have been a stand alone drama/comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Japandamo

Aye, started watching this at 11:30pm last night. Just kept going until 9:30am this morning. Serious dose of the 'just one more's.

Mistakes, yes. Like when
    Wolfgang had an outer body experience while having a conversation in the car park with Lito. Even though Jonas had actually said one or two episodes previous that the person being visited looks like they are talking to themselves. Not a big deal, but they could have had that chat in Mexico.
    fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    If it goes to another few series though i have a feeling she will become
    the new Angellica or "mother" to other clusters
    . It fits in well with her story arc. We just havnt seen her area of specialty yet.

I'd agree, I imagine that may be
    something that happens when two sensates from the same cluster get their freak on (in person) as Jonas and Angelica seemed quite close. Will and Riley would be definite candidates for that.

And as note on my own personal development, I have become comfortable watching gay romantic scenes as a result of watching this show. Which is nice. I felt the gay characters' storylines were very well played out, and I was really rooting for them as I would have for a straight relationship. Which of course I always should, but perhaps I've just never watched anything with serious gay lead roles before.

I really, really enjoyed it, anyway, and I'm looking forward to the next one. And to catch up on some sleep.

Japandamo wrote: »
    Aye, started watching this at 11:30pm last night. Just kept going until 9:30am this morning. Serious dose of the 'just one more's.

Mistakes, yes. Like when
    Wolfgang had an outer body experience while having a conversation in the car park with Lito. Even though Jonas had actually said one or two episodes previous that the person being visited looks like they are talking to themselves. Not a big deal, but they could have had that chat in Mexico.

I'd agree, I imagine that may be
    something that happens when two sensates from the same cluster get their freak on (in person) as Jonas and Angelica seemed quite close. Will and Riley would be definite candidates for that.

And as note on my own personal development, I have become comfortable watching gay romantic scenes as a result of watching this show. Which is nice. I felt the gay characters' storylines were very well played out, and I was really rooting for them as I would have for a straight relationship. Which of course I always should, but perhaps I've just never watched anything with serious gay lead roles before.

I really, really enjoyed it, anyway, and I'm looking forward to the next one. And to catch up on some sleep.

Very good point. It was one of the best handled gay relationships that I've ever seen. Plus they didn't make a big deal out of it. If anything, like you said, you ended up rooting for them. To me, as a straight person, this has done more for LGBT than anything else I've seen so far in a good while.

• Advertisement

Funny, I though they were both over acted. Though I have to say I didn't care for any of the characters. Except for maybe Reilly, only for the fact that the bad guy was more annoying than the good guys I'd have rooted for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Very good point. It was one of the best handled gay relationships that I've ever seen. Plus they didn't make a big deal out of it. If anything, like you said, you ended up rooting for them. To me, as a straight person, this has done more for LGBT than anything else I've seen so far in a good while.

To be honest, I thought the transgender girl's storyline was fairly hackneyed. Especially the pantomime villain mother, contrasted with the other girl's hippy mother, the hollywood hacking didn't help either. I found the most cringeworthy parts of the show to be the dialogue between Nomi and her girlfriend.

Having reflected on this show. I can only say it was ****e. Though would probably watch some of the second season, just to make sure. After all Season 1 and 2 of Hannibal were good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

To be honest, I thought the transgender girl's storyline was fairly hackneyed. Especially the pantomime villain mother, contrasted with the other girl's hippy mother, the hollywood hacking didn't help either. I found the most cringeworthy parts of the show to be the dialogue between Nomi and her girlfriend.

Some of the dialogue was pretty cringey, especially the "what would would Nancy Drew do?" line, but I found her story to be one of the best parts of the show. And honestly? The character of her mother, knowing what some transgender people go through with their families, she was very toned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Can someone please explain why the character Nomi, who used to be a man called Michael, is now a lesbian woman? This surely means he was a straight man before the sex change..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Standman wrote: »
    Can someone please explain why the character Nomi, who used to be a man called Michael, is now a lesbian woman? This surely means he was a straight man before the sex change..

Because gender identity and sexuality are not the same thing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm not sure if episode 7 was good, or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Standman wrote: »
    What? Have you never heard of this before? There's also people born as female, and are attracted to males, that get female-to-male genital surgery. Or "straight woman to gay man", as you might put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

What? Have you never heard of this before? There's also people born as female, and are attracted to males, that get female-to-male genital surgery. Or "straight woman to gay man", as you might put it.

No I'd never heard of this before. You learn something new every day!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I finished watching this over the weekend and I thought it was very good. Yes, some of the acting was awful, there were continuity issues all over the place and some of the dialogue was, frankly, brutal but I really, really enjoyed the story. The cultural and societal elements were fascinating and as others have said, it's refreshing that a show like this was done with no filter to gloss over some of the grittier business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I finished watching this over the weekend and I thought it was very good. Yes, some of the acting was awful, there were continuity issues all over the place and some of the dialogue was, frankly, brutal but I really, really enjoyed the story. The cultural and societal elements were fascinating and as others have said, it's refreshing that a show like this was done with no filter to gloss over some of the grittier business.

yup, it was definitely better than the sum of its parts. after the poo sandwich that was season 3 of Orange is the New Black, I'm looking forward to more of this.

I don't know everything was bad but at least they didn't gloss over the more grittier aspects of society? So much of that was missing when you consider the Nomi scene with her mother, clearly the mother was worried about her child and clearly her sister care for her older sibling. Little was made of this story other than to belittle the mother and slightly the sister, this would be find if that story line continued. There was no explanation as to how quickly a doctor could perform a lobotomy on an adult without their consent. Did Nomi ever ask to meet with her own doctors? I don't think she did. I would mind but they had so much time to explore this, while they were all looking back at their births for 10 or so minutes etc etc.

The series was far too long for what it was, it could have been cut down considerably, even the opening sequence ran for like 5 minutes.

IMO there have been better shows that have dealt with "issues" in a far better manner.

If it gets a second season I'll watch weekly to avoid the plot holes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I really enjoyed this programme, I don't have anything bad to sad really, I can't wait for the second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Just finished it...loved it... Yes it had faults but I really loved it.
    And the music in it was brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I finished this over the weekend and loved it, I felt there was something really special about it and would often find myself thinking about it in between episodes. It was slow to start and had a few silly unrealistic moments but I could list so many high points. Even just watching the different combinations of characters talking to each other was so interesting.

Fingers crossed for season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I guess the Mexican just didn't have anything to participate in until the end. He is one of the few (including the Icelandic girl) who has no useable skills.

Cop - general cop stuff and shooting
    African guy - driving
    Asian woman - martial arts
    American woman - hacking
    German guy - general badassery
    Indian woman - her skill knowledge of chemicals

Despite a near glacial pace that nearly put me off at the beginning I've really enjoyed the show. Agree about the Mexican guy though. Just because he's a telenovo actor doesn't mean his storyline should be daytime Mexican soap opera silly. It also doesn't help that every time his 'specific set of skills' are required all I can hear is the voice of Spotswoode from 'Team America'

"Attention. Attention, everyone. All you in the audience should go to your homes now. Your countries need you, but the world will be safe, thanks to a brilliant actor named Gary Johnston."

As for Icelandic girl, well sooner or later sombody's gonna want to throw a kicking party that will require her DJ skills I presume? Otherwise her sole point seems to be to 'eff things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Season two announced on Twitter with video from Sense8 cast.

https://twitter.com/sense8/status/630030706228379650

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

interesting video

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Used the weather as an excuse for finishing this yesterday having stopped at 1.07 over a month ago. Easily the best written and executed Netflix show, so far. I don't rate House of Cards, at all.

I'm impressed they shot so much on location. I expect the Icelandic tourist board will be bloody happy, gorgeous landscape. Also, the character Sun kicks serious arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Just finished it last night and i have to say even though it felt like a slog to get through a number of the episodes, overall the season was pretty great. The violence in the last two episodes was a strange change in direction but I was really impressed on how they used all the skills of each of the people. Also although Riley didn't contribute much, at least they gave her a brutal backstory!

Advertisement