Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sense8 [Netflix] [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 21-06-2014 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 60,300 ✭✭✭✭

J. Michael Straczynski & Wachowskis's Netflix Sci-fi show picking up quite a good International cast.

Naveen Andrews (Lost)
    Daryl Hannah (Kill Bill)
    Freema Agyeman (Doctor Who)
    Terrence Mann (The Dresden Files)

This maybe Netflix's biggest Original show as it is being shot in the UK, Seoul, Mumbai, Nairobi, Berlin, Mexico City, San Francisco and Chicago.

The only thing given away about the show so far is.
    “a gripping global tale of minds linked and souls hunted”

deadline

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've been looking forward to this for a good few months now, once I saw that JMS was on board. He hasn't had a chance to really flex his creative muscles since B5 - 'Jeremiah' was riddled with studio interference. Hoping the Netflix platform gives him a chance to start up with big story arcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,300 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ixoy wrote: »
    I've been looking forward to this for a good few months now, once I saw that JMS was on board. He hasn't had a chance to really flex his creative muscles since B5 - 'Jeremiah' was riddled with studio interference. Hoping the Netflix platform gives him a chance to start up with big story arcs.

I really just hope JMS is the show runner and not the Wachowski's.

The Wachowski's have some amazing idea's but what they don't have is some one to rope them in and say stop right there that is prefect. Hopefully JMS can do that.

The one thing I have noticed from all the Netflix Originals is that Netflix have given the show runners total creative control for the good or for bad they have put there faith in the creative process and not interfered.

Straczynski describes the 10-episode sci-fi drama, which is being shot in nine locations on four continents: “The series follows eight characters around the world who, in the aftermath of a tragic death, find themselves linked to each other mentally and emotionally. They can not only see and talk to each other as though they were in the same place, they have access to each other’s deepest secrets. Not only must they figure out what happened and why and what it means for the future of humanity, they must do so while being hunted by an organization out to capture, kill or vivisect them.”

A bit more revealed about the story.

J. Michael Straczynski.
    We are going to tell a story on a planetary scale. No cheats. In ways no one else has ever done before.
    We are going to treat subjects that most TV series, and pretty much all SF series have avoided.
    We are going to present visuals and action in ways that you have simply never, ever seen before. Anywhere.
    In 2015 we are going to blow the doors off the television business.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2014/10/13/jms-promises-to-blow-the-doors-off-tv-with-netflixs-sense8/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Max Riemelt!:pac:

I can't wait for this programme personally, I think it'll be good, always nice to squeeze more exclusives out of that €7 a month! :pac:

• Advertisement

The Wachowski's Say They Filmed A Live
    Birth
    For Their TV Show Sense8

Spolier interview with Wachowski's linked

This is going to be a rated TV-MA+ from this :D

Spoiler Link

Set to debut on June 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Online TV forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hard to judge on a short trailer. Based on the hype I was expecting it to be more out of this world. So, bio/neuro stuff, mental abilities and special skills, yeah?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Really looking forward to this. Netflix are absolutely on point with their originals now, they're only going to get better from here as well since their subscribers is constantly growing and they've basically secured themselves in the same league as the big US TV networks HBO, Showtime and Starz. I really hope they land a show that's considered on the same level as the 'GOATs' like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, The Sopranos and True Detective.

If the action in this is on the level of Daredevil then I'll enjoy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

My favourite German actor is in this, I may watch it so!

Actually really excited for this haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

Fantastic opening episode so far with an incredible soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm hoping to watch tonight after work and a few drinks!

5 episodes in and, while it is no Daredevil, it's still a pretty interesting watch. What I do like is that they do explore the cultures of the 8 - it does remind me of Lost in many ways, how you're still not entirely certain about what is going on.

Something that is kind of interesting is the fact that one of the characters underwent gender reassignment, which is what one of the Wachowski siblings went through.

I have to say I am enjoying it and it starts to make more sense (no pun intended) as the episodes go along. 5 episodes in.

I think more than any other streaming show I have watched this is built for binging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First episode didn't completely grab me, but I'll stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

3 episodes in and I'm on the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Have watched up to episode 6 - I like it.

It seems to go at a slow pace sometimes but I think it works with the show. Not known what the other episodes are about - I'm guessing they're giving us time to get to know each character and building up to when they're all fully aware of each other completely.

In regard to Nomi
    Are the doctors and her mother aware that she is a member of the sense8 and trying to break up the group by carrying out the operation or is it just her mother has a lot of control what happens in the hospital and wants to turn Nomi back to Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

ixoy wrote: »
    'Jeremiah' was riddled with studio interference.

It was still outstanding TV though, IMO much better than most drivel we get served today. I actually re-watched the series last months after I finished B5 (again) ..

I heard that JMS might actually be or get involved with one of the coming StarTrek Fan productions. Some of his major partners in B5 are already there..

If true, that would be fantastic I think as I believe that for all the (past) competitiveness he is probably one of the few able to actually tell true Trek stories.

But maybe that's food for another thread one of these days..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Not a fan. Too preachy, and every character seems like a token character of every culture and race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Watched the first episode ... and some of it was painful to watch. The transgender character was the most transgender character a transgender character could be. The dialogue between her and her girlfriend was terrible at times.

But there does seem to be enough in the episode to justify giving it a go, hopefully things improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

One of the most disappointing pilots/ first episodes I've seen in ages. Plodding, directionless nonsense, with terrible dialogue and poor acting.

For something that appears to be big event drama with high concept it was incredibly boring.

I'll stick with it for the time being because I like the premise and I expect it to pick up in terms of plot at the very least and with a lot of to shows, hopefully the performances improve as the season goes on and actors get more comfortable with their roles .

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I didn't especially like the pilot and only watched the second episode because of my deep abiding love of B5. But episode 2 was very enjoyable and I'm in for the whole ride. The great thing about this, is that with JMS you can have faith that there is a story here with a well plotted beginning, middle and end and won't be like all the big event shows that are all concept no follow through.

3 episodes in though and I have one big question. -Not a spoiler.- Why the fúck do so many European characters live in apartments with weird unfinished internal walls? It's a weird choice on the part of the set designer and keeps taking me out of the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I'm three episodes in and while I felt slightly more interested in proceedings as the third episode closed, I'm still not at all sold on it.

Started it last night and to be honest I felt like watching it was a bit of a chore. For such an exciting premise, with eye-catching locations and an interesting soundtrack, I found myself completely disconnected with all of the characters and the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That was Awesome! I intended to watch 1 or 2 episodes a night for the next week or so, but just ended up binging the whole thing today. Loved every second.

I think it's one of those shows that people will either really love or absolutely hate - I can't see there being a whole lot of middle ground. That said it does get better as it progresses and things start to make more sense along the way.

I hope it gets renewed, because this was a really good origins story, but I'd be ecstatic to see more.

Advertisement