Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2015 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Who would be a ref?

You think of the abuse Brolly hurled at Marty Duffy in his Sunday Independent article, and no we have the GAA making it up as they go along.

Was McCann did was pathetic, and needs to be stamped out, but we cant set a precedent of the GAA punishing players just because they think its right, without any grounds in the rules.

As for Keane, I'm sorry but a strike is a strike, I wasnt aware of discretion being allowed in the rules?

Duffy is an absolute shambles of a ref but he has been absolutely hung here by the CCCC. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭wackokid

Duffy is an absolute shambles of a ref but he has been absolutely hung here by the CCCC. Disgraceful.

That means he will most likely ref the All Ireland Final so?
    He looks nice when he's trotting.:D

wackokid wrote: »

That's what I suspect.

Kerry v Mayo

Cormac Reilly to be on the line.

You heard it here first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That's sarcasm right?

That was a paint-by-numbers article if ever I saw one.

I have to say I'm not digging his stuff at all at all. And as for talking up Tyrone. Who's he kidding.

"We'll be beat them won't we Darragh?"
    Yup. Drivel.

Sure ye could indeed in by five, but it's hardly analysis that brought him to that conclusion.

The difference between Jim Mc and Darragh in the analysis stakes is remarkable.

I just like reading his wee anecdotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

The difference between Jim Mc and Darragh in the analysis stakes is remarkable.

I don't think it is remarkable at all.

Jimmy McG has been one of the most innovative thinkers on the game of all time.

Darragh is a legendary player but most of his thinking concerned his own game and perhaps some of the teams and situations he was in.

• Advertisement

Jippo wrote: »
    I don't think it is remarkable at all.

Jimmy McG has been one of the most innovative thinkers on the game of all time.

Darragh is a legendary player but most of his thinking concerned his own game and perhaps some of the teams and situations he was in.

It is remarkable in the sense that they are both trotted out as analysts, I would appreciate Darragh (and others) more if he was purely for colour. But he's not.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I really like Darragh and value his predictions when he's talking about anybody but Kerry, regardless of how good or bad Jim is compared to him he is guilty of exactly the same thing when he's writting about Donegal.

So Jim will offer better analysis from now on, trying to call it as it is so his stock will go up , Darragh will be less insightful from now on as Kerry winning is more important to him than calling it like it is, for example he won't suggest a Kerry's players tail to pull or point to any real weakness in the Kerry team.

Jim has written some fairly soft and inaccurate stuff about Donegal this year .
    It's all understandable.

Stoner wrote: »
    I really like Darragh and value his predictions when he's talking about anybody but Kerry, regardless of how good or bad Jim is compared to him he is guilty of exactly the same thing when he's writting about Donegal.

So Jim will offer better analysis from now on, trying to call it as it is so his stock will go up , Darragh will be less insightful from now on as Kerry winning is more important to him than calling it like it is, for example he won't suggest a Kerry's players tail to pull or point to any real weakness in the Kerry team.

Jim has written some fairly soft and inaccurate stuff about Donegal this year .
    It's all understandable.

Jim has been slightly critical of donegal as well.

Jim is in a difficult spot because he is the last manager and the current manager is his last assistant not to mention his clear relationships with the players. I love reading Jim and listening to him (same with Brolly if he tones down the crap)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ugh brolly. How anyone can think he's worth listening to.

Jayop wrote: »
    Ugh brolly. How anyone can think he's worth listening to.

Because he's the one lad RTÉ have how doesn't just say "blanket defence" and leave it at that.

He's a pain in the hoop. But can be insightful the odd time.

Youo have Derry issues being a Tyrone man anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I think Brolly can be very insightful and hit the nail on the head on assorted issues but it's hard to overlook his attention seeking personality,love of his own voice and at times petty comments about individuals.His never ending bluster can make it hard to see the wood from the trees.He does realise he is analyzing a sport where the participants and others are amateurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

wackokid wrote: »

If there was one ref out there I could pick I'd love this fella ... just once to adorn the pitch

That's what I suspect.

Kerry v Mayo

Cormac Reilly to be on the line.

You heard it hear first.

FFS Bonnie, what you "suspect" and what you post are 2 different things :p

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

It is remarkable in the sense that they are both trotted out as analysts, I would appreciate Darragh (and others) more if he was purely for colour. But he's not.

To be fair I was only talking about his column which I wouldn't describe as analysis.

To be fair to you I completely forgot about his other 'analysis' work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

For Keane though, as much as I wouldn't want him to miss a game over a stupid incident when the game was already put to bed, was correctly sent off at the time. No harm done, but either implement the rules or don't.

Absolutely ridiculous

Referee makes correct decision according to rulebook, and get over-ruled.

Similar to the Lee Keegan thing.

These types of appeals shouldn't even be entertained.

Jippo wrote: »
    To be fair I was only talking about his column which I wouldn't describe as analysis.

To be fair to you I completely forgot about his other 'analysis' work.

To be fair we are being awful fair to each other of late. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Absolutely ridiculous

I also think Keane should have taken a ban. However, same as last year, lots of people going on and on about the rules. But those very rules accommodate for appeals, overturning of cards, bans etc. So only the rules that we like or suit "our" selves should be adhered to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Absolutely ridiculous

How is the Kevin Keane incident similar to the Lee Keegan incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Kalyke wrote: »
    I also think Keane should have taken a ban. However, same as last year, lots of people going on and on about the rules. But those very rules accommodate for appeals, overturning of cards, bans etc. So only the rules that we like or suit "our" selves should be adhered to?

We all know it'll be somebody else next year.

Its a GAA thing, always has been and always will until they grow the balls to do anything about it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Mayo were second best in 2013. Many of the mayo lads on the forum agreed at the time. It was one of those games that you never thought you'd lose as Mayo did not have the tools to get the goal they needed and it was obvious.

It was very close, they'd beaten Dublin and hopped all over them to close out the game in 2012. Dublin did the same in 2013.

2012 was Mayos 2013 was Dublins, it a good healthy rivalry.

2012 was handy enough for mayo and being 100% honest in 2013 I never feltarrow-10x10.png like the Dubs would lose, it was one of those games. Wasn't it all about not having Andy Moran available as he was the playmaker:

This year will be different again Mayo are the most improved teamarrow-10x10.png, they have that goal threat that they didn't have in 2013 while Dublin had B Brogan there is a world of difference between Mayos goal potential now and then and that's a credit to the new management team.
    Dont know about that-I was there with me dad supporting Mayo and even by Mayo standards it was crazy stuff-the sublime to the ridiculous in the space of minutes-i thought when McLoughlin fisted that one wide from 6 yards it was curtains;despite all the rugby tackling they still nearly blew a ten point lead and if it wasnt for a brilliant save by Clarke from Brogan it was game over. Still, brilliant game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

I'd have more of an issue with Keane being cleared as hearrow-10x10.png did strike a player in the face and there is a rule for that but I see why it was dropped and I think it's the right decision.
    Overall I'm glad both lads are available the 8 week thing was a jokearrow-10x10.png.

It should be 8 weeks this time next year though.
    Its definitely not the right decision. It was as clear cut a straight red as you'll see. Other than that I agree with the rest of your post and Im glad hes clear to play. Problem is, Id say the Dublin forwards are too if 2012 is anything to go by;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Peist2007 wrote: »
    How is the Kevin Keane incident similar to the Lee Keegan incident?

both commit a red card offence and get sent off.
    both have ban overturned.
    in both cases, ref is undermined.

harpsman wrote: »
    Dont know about that-I was there with me dad supporting Mayo and even by Mayo standards it was crazy stuff-the sublime to the ridiculous in the space of minutes-i thought when McLoughlin fisted that one wide from 6 yards it was curtains;despite all the rugby tackling they still nearly blew a ten point lead and if it wasnt for a brilliant save by Clarke from Brogan it was game over. Still, brilliant game.

Yeah that would be pretty much my read of it too, as good as Mayo were for 50 odd mins, it came down to Clarkes save to get them over the line in the end

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

both commit a red card offence and get sent off.
    both have ban overturned.
    in both cases, ref is undermined.

Sorry, i didnt realise your comparison was being formed in the broadest possible manner, rendering it meaningless.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

harpsman wrote: »

I agree it was a close one alright, close but deserved. Our management team started MDMA at center forward. When they eventually moved him back to midfield the Dubs went on a run but it was too late, but it was Dublins fault, same with 2013 the Mayo line were too slow to respond to changes on the field. They are all reasons for losing IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Tiernan McCann's ban has been thrown out and he is set to play.

Kevin Keanes ban is overturned and he is set to play.No action taken against Michel Murphy for instigating the incident either.

No action at all taken against Paul Finlay despite him punching a player on the back of the head.

The GAA's disciplinary bodies really are a disgrace.All 4 players above should be banned for some length of time but again the GAA have decided to turn a blind eye ill discipline but will then wonder why the players don't behave themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Kevin Keanes ban is overturned and he is set to play.No action taken against Michel Murphy for instigating the incident either.

No action at all taken against Paul Finlay despite him punching a player on the back of the head.

The GAA's disciplinary bodies really are a disgrace.All 4 players above should be banned for some length of time but again the GAA have decided to turn a blind eye ill discipline but will then wonder why the players don't behave themselves.

Well Finlay did end up getting sent off anyway. If you went through that whole game you could find a few incidents to penalise I'd say.

McCann was always going to get off this - bad and all his dive was, it would be harsh to ban him when others got off with nothing only weeks earlier after doing similar. But the rules definitely have to be looked at going forward in relation to simulation, and all incidents punished rather than just the ones the media decide.

Keane getting off was the worst decision of the lot, just because it was a needless red which didn't affect the result, doesn't change the fact that it was a brainless move by him and he did strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No action taken against Michel Murphy for instigating the incident either.

Murphy gets away with murder on the field, why would it be a surprise that he gets away with it off the field as well? If referees had any balls Murphy would have had a few black cards this year, but he got away with it every time because of who he is.

Even though I think McCanns actions were cowardly and despicable I fully expected him to have the ban overturned. On the other hand, I never in a million years thought that one of the most blatant striking actions ever seen in a big game would get overturned. Keane struck a player in the face, in full view of the officials and every camera in the country, the news that his card is rescinded is absolutely astounding and makes the GAA look like a bunch of chumps.

I can only assume that after heated discussions concerning McCann certain members of the CCCC got fed up, stopped giving a **** about the game and just said "sure let everybody off" in a fit of pique.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭threeball

You can add the Brian Gavin incident to that as a result of which the ref in question has quit the game.
    Its a complete shambles, one rule when there's big names or big games and another when its some poor sod in a club game that's been having the sh1t knocked out of him for 50mins and finally loses his temper and gives a lad a dig in the guts.

• Advertisement

RTÉ tipping Tyrone. Odd given how much they bigged up Kerry earlier in the piece.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2015/0820/722498-at-a-glance-championship-weekend/

Advertisement