Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will be interesting to see what they decide on in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I imagine at this stage Pistorious is planning a retreat into obscurity for the time being. Protect/invest whatever money he already has, sell up the property, maybe even leave South Africa altogether and keep the head down for 5-10 years. He's at an age now that his athletics career would be coming to an end anyway.
    So fighting to get back onto the track for the sake of another year or two of lacklustre results hardly seems worth the hard time he'll spend in the spotlight.

He'll pop up again in about ten years working as an athletics coach and a sports pundit on some obscure sports channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

conorh91 wrote: »
    There will still be an appeal to upgrade his conviction to murder, and under the rules of the International Paralympic Committee, he will be unable to compete in the Rio Olympics.

I'm sure that will be of great comfort to the Steenkamp family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

seamus wrote: »
    I imagine at this stage Pistorious is planning a retreat into obscurity for the time being. Protect/invest whatever money he already has, sell up the property, maybe even leave South Africa altogether and keep the head down for 5-10 years. He's at an age now that his athletics career would be coming to an end anyway.
    So fighting to get back onto the track for the sake of another year or two of lacklustre results hardly seems worth the hard time he'll spend in the spotlight.

He'll pop up again in about ten years working as an athletics coach and a sports pundit on some obscure sports channel.

I think that your average person might do this. Oscar Pistorius however will I imagine seek some kind of public forgiveness and redemption and reinvent his celebrity. It's not going to be edifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I imagine at this stage Pistorious is planning a retreat into obscurity for the time being. Protect/invest whatever money he already has, sell up the property, maybe even leave South Africa altogether and keep the head down for 5-10 years.
    Yep, the newspapers say he wants to leave SA and go work for charity in Mozambique, but it isn't clear whether the court will grant him permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunGoose

Yep, the newspapers say he wants to leave SA and go work for charity in Mozambique, but it isn't clear whether the court will grant him permission.

Unlikely I would say. Technically he still has just over 4 years of his sentence to serve, just not in custody. That's why he won't be allowed compete in the Rio Olympics. Although, who knows what that court will grant him.

That wouldn't be too bad considering he could pop up again in the future having shot another girlfriend/'intruder'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It'll be interesting to see how the appeal works out....I can't see them winning it tbh, there just is not enough evidence to say he is a cold blooded murder imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

FunGoose wrote: »
    That wouldn't be too bad considering he could pop up again in the future having shot another girlfriend/'intruder'.

Highly unlikely. It's not like he's a career criminal or gang member or anything like that.

Limited chance of him getting a firearms license again either I'd expect so an intruder is only likely to encounter a prosthetic limb being flung across the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭volchitsa

robinph wrote: »
    Highly unlikely. It's not like he's a career criminal or gang member or anything like that.
    He's not a career criminal, he's a wife beater. That's behavior which tends to re-occur. I'm disappointed that some men still seem to think that's not "real" crime somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

volchitsa wrote: »
    He's not a career criminal, he's a wife beater.
    I'm having difficulty finding any evidence that Pistorius had been involved in domestic violence against partners previously. The only thing that's come up is a girl who appears to have gotten injured while being ejected from a party at his house.

Certainly there are plenty of indicators that he was a tense man with a short temper, but I can't find any arrests or allegations against him for domestic violence?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He's not a career criminal, he's a wife beater. That's behavior which tends to re-occur. I'm disappointed that some men still seem to think that's not "real" crime somehow.

Not suggesting it's not real crime.

I'm saying that anything he does is going to be under a very high level of scrutiny from now on, and any future partners are going to be exceedingly aware of his past.

Limited chance of him getting a firearms license again either I'd expect so an intruder is only likely to encounter a prosthetic limb being flung across the room.

He certainly has a history of being wreckless with firearms, there's evidence that he's a very controlling person with a bad temper and obviously from his own evidence on the stand he can not/will not accept responsibility for any of his actions. And then he gets only 11 months in custody for blowing his girlfriends brains out!

I doubt he has learned any lesson at all from the whole experience.

He certainly has a history of being wreckless with firearms,
    Agreed.
    there's evidence that he's a very controlling person with a bad temper and obviously from his own evidence on the stand he can not/will not accept responsibility for any of his actions.
    The only thing we can be certain of from the court case is that the prosecution were incompetent, and the defence slightly less so.
    And then he gets only 11 months in custody for blowing his girlfriends brains out!
    That is not Pistouris' fault that he was only given 11 months in custody.
    I doubt he has learned any lesson at all from the whole experience.
    Nobody knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

You might want to rein in the outrage there since no-one actually suggested that. However in spite of some strident (and unworthy) efforts by certain groups at the time of the trial to make Pistorious a poster boy for domestic abuse there little or no evidence that he's ever been a 'wife beater'as you put it

Agreed.

The only thing we can be certain of from the court case is that the prosecution were incompetent, and the defence slightly less so.

That is not Pistouris' fault that he was only given 11 months in custody.

Nobody knows that.

Based on the evidence given in court that's my opinion. There is a lot more than the prosecution being incompetent etc. that we can be certain of from the court case. A lot more than that.

Eg. The Whatsapp messages were never disputed so it's safe to assume that Oscar and Reeva had those conversations. I think partly based on that Oscar has control issues, a bad temper and will take the easy way out rather than face the consequences of his actions (the messages regarding the gun in the restaurant).

Yeh, nobody knows if Oscar learned his lesson, I just said I doubt he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Is he? Since when?

The only story we have about potential violence against a woman was when a girl got hurt whilst being put out of a house party he was having....and to be honest even that is a little dubious.

This thing of talking about 'Oscar' and 'Riva' and 'Riva's family'… get a grip of yourselves. They're not the Kardashians, you're hardly on first name terms.

It's certainly an interesting topic because Oscar Pistorius was such an icon but some people seem to be turning this into a soap opera, desperate to see the villain pay for their sweetheart's 'murder'. The whole thing is so tacky.

This thing of talking about 'Oscar' and 'Riva' and 'Riva's family'… get a grip of yourselves. They're not the Kardashians, you're hardly on first name terms.

It's certainly an interesting topic because Oscar Pistorius was such an icon but some people seem to be turning this into a soap opera, desperate to see the villain pay for their sweetheart's 'murder'. The whole thing is so tacky.

Why are you reading this thread then?
    Odd comment. What should we use instead of their actual names?

I'm sure there is a thread about the Kardashians for you somewhere...

Why are you reading this thread then?
    Like i said, he was a major sports icon, it's interesting from that viewpoint. But theres no need to excite oneself.
    What should we use instead of their actual names?
    Whole names. Surnames.

They're strangers, you don't know them, nor can you read their minds; this isn't a soap opera.. remember??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Clearlier wrote: »
    I think that your average person might do this. Oscar Pistorius however will I imagine seek some kind of public forgiveness and redemption and reinvent his celebrity. It's not going to be edifying.

Is there a South African equivalent of Oprah?

Like i said, he was a major sports icon, it's interesting from that viewpoint. But theres no need to excite oneself.

Whole names. Surnames.

They're strangers, you don't know them, nor can you read their minds; this isn't a soap opera.. remember??

It's easier to type Oscar and Reeva than it is to use their surnames. This is the internet and nobody can speel round here. Careful you don't get too excited with being outraged there yourself.

Whole names. Surnames.

Ha ha!!

Fair enough, from now on I'll use their whole names.
    And you're right, Oscar Leonard Carl Pistorius was a major sports icon. (Am I being a bit smart now and exciting myself again?)

C'mon man, it takes ages to type his 'whole' name. Can I not just use Oscar, Reeva, Gerrie, Barry etc for short? Everyone can just presume I don't actually know these people.

Circus folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Not suggesting it's not real crime.

I'm saying that anything he does is going to be under a very high level of scrutiny from now on, and any future partners are going to be exceedingly aware of his past.

Going by the reaction of some women to Graham Dwyer's "celebrity status" one would have to conclude that this doesnt mean that all women will now steer clear of Pistorius. Alas.

And I didn't mean to imply that you personally were suggesting that, I just found the turn of phrase unfortunate. Sorry if it came across as an accusation.

Going by the reaction of some women to Graham Dwyer's "celebrity status" one would have to conclude that this doesnt mean that all women will now steer clear of Pistorius. Alas.

And I didn't mean to imply that you personally were suggesting that, I just found the turn of phrase unfortunate. Sorry if it came across as an accusation.

I agree. Some future partners will be aware of his past and be drawn to it. Dwyer being an example and also Richard Ramirez, who was unbelievably horrific and had thousands of lady fans after he was caught.

Maybe some future partners just won't care. Apparantly Oscar Leonard Carl Pistorius has had a girlfriend for some time before the trial. Brave girl in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Whatever the prosecution do, they've got to avoid running in to South Africa's double jeopardy law. It's in the Constitution:
    Every accused person has a right to a fair trial, which includes the right ... not to be tried for an offence in respect of an act or omission for which that person has previously been either acquitted or convicted ...
    - Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996, s. 35(3)(m)
    That's why they're appealing the conviction, not looking for a re-trial.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

wait, wait...what's this, is this a tiny semblance of justice, logic and common sense???? it couldn't be.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33987669

(cue Audrey Hepburn for a post on what a travesty of justice this is and how dare they do this to poor old Oscar)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

wait, wait...what's this, is this a tiny semblance of justice, logic and common sense???? it couldn't be.

Read earlier today that this was possible, did not expect it to happen though.
    Another 4 months at least hopefully for him before he gets his parole review, probably get out Monday instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

As is probably evident from my earlier posts on this thread I don't believe that Pistorius received as severe a sentence as he should have. That said I don't believe that the law should be bent to political whims. If the process in South Africa for any other prisoner convicted of the crime that Pistorius was would be to have them paroled at this point the exact same thing should have happened to Pistorius. Justice should not vary either way depending on the identity of the criminal.

Advertisement