Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Clearlier wrote: »
    As is probably evident from my earlier posts on this thread I don't believe that Pistorius received as severe a sentence as he should have. That said I don't believe that the law should be bent to political whims. If the process in South Africa for any other prisoner convicted of the crime that Pistorius was would be to have them paroled at this point the exact same thing should have happened to Pistorius. Justice should not vary either way depending on the identity of the criminal.

It's too soon, he is only in 6 months, he should be paroled at 10 months which would be the norm in SA.

Thats what I got from the few articles anyways.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    It's too soon, he is only in 6 months, he should be paroled at 10 months which would be the norm in SA.

Thats what I got from the few articles anyways.

Seemed to be some confusion about how long he had been held for in what I saw as well. If he has served the required time though then he must be released, otherwise it will allow for them to be making up the law as they go along for other prisoners as well. The problem with not releasing him is for other cases, not this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

wait, wait...what's this, is this a tiny semblance of justice, logic and common sense???? it couldn't be.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33987669

(cue Audrey Hepburn for a post on what a travesty of justice this is and how dare they do this to poor old Oscar)

Nice try....I'm not going to rise to it though, sorry.

All I'll say is even though I don't agree with trying Pistorius for murder, I do agree that 10 months is too short for what he did.

Accidental it may have been but he still took Reeva's life through his own recklessness and he should be punished for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Nice try....I'm not going to rise to it though, sorry.

All I'll say is even though I don't agree with trying Pistorius for murder, I do agree that 10 months is too short for what he did.

Accidental it may have been but he still took Reeva's life through his own recklessness and he should be punished for it.

you won't rise to it but "all I'll say... blah blah" followed by "accidental it may have been...blah blah blah"

okey dokey ;)

One article I read stated that be could be in prison for years before getting parole, I will try dig up the article and post it.

No idea how reliable or unreliable it is though.

• Advertisement

you won't rise to it but "all I'll say... blah blah" followed by "accidental it may have been...blah blah blah"

okey dokey ;)

Give it a rest.

One article I read stated that be could be in prison for years before getting parole, I will try dig up the article and post it.

No idea how reliable or unreliable it is though.

As well he should be.....I don't recall ever saying otherwise to be fair.

http://news.sky.com/story/1570103/oscar-pistorius-to-be-released-on-parole

Just a little update on the case.....Pistorius is due to be released and will likely serve out the rest of sentence under house arrest.

^ Not surprising. He served more time than I expected him too. I feel for the Steenkamp family hearing this news.

Any word on the prosecutions appeal?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The updated report now says that the prosecution appeal is set for 3rd November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Appeal decision now on Sky News. He's going down for Murder.

Appeal decision now on Sky News. He's going down for Murder.

I doubt they will overturn the judges manslaughter verdict.
    (unless they already have)...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I doubt they will overturn the judges manslaughter verdict.
    (unless they already have)...

they already have....beautiful. :D

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34993002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

he'd been convicted of murder (BBC)

they already have....beautiful. :D

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34993002

Shocked that they had the balls to do this.

Good news for a change in this case for the victims family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Hurtbuthealing

In breaking news justice has finally been done, the blade gunner has been found guilty of murder by a South African appeals court.

A good day for justice.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-found-guilty-of-murder-after-appeal-upheld-1.2452934

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

About fecking time bet he will need a few buckets now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Sure he never had a leg to stand on to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Absolutely delighted he has been charged with murder, if ever someone was guilty its him.....need this kind of justice over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not convinced of the murder verdict myself based on the evidence presented at trial.

Seems like a crazy system though, how can it be correct that someone's charge can be "upgraded" without a full retrial? South Africa's legal system seems like it's a bit of a kangaroo court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted he has been charged with murder, if ever someone was guilty its him.....need this kind of justice over here.

Convicted, not just charged.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

seamus wrote: »
    Not convinced of the murder verdict myself based on the evidence presented at trial.

Seems like a crazy system though, how can it be correct that someone's charge can be "upgraded" without a full retrial? South Africa's legal system seems like it's a bit of a kangaroo court.

If it was anywhere else I would have figured it would have been thrown out by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

LOL.

The BBC report when I left the house said the appeal was rejected, then by the time I get to work it changed to accepted. Confused me for a moment there.

This is still not a charge of murder of Reeva Steenkamp however, this is now the charge that the prosecution should have been going for in the first place of murder of unknown person who happened to be behind the door. The prosecution really screwed up and it should never have needed to go to appeal if they had just done their job properly in the first place and not fixated on something that they could never prove.

Can't quite remember now, but I think the sentencing guidelines for this new charge of murder are basically the same as for the manslaughter charge, so don't necessarily expect him to now be locked up for 20 years. If they just double the sentence then that would only mean him going back to prison for another couple of months due to time already served, then he'll be back under house arrest again for the remainder.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

seamus wrote: »

Yeah absolutely wacky judicial system by the looks of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is this the final hurdle now?

Can Pistorius appeal this decision?

murpho999 wrote: »

I would say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

murpho999 wrote: »

Doubt it. This is a Supreme Court decision. Thankfully no European Court of Human Rights for him:(.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Can't quite remember now, but I think the sentencing guidelines for this new charge of murder are basically the same as for the manslaughter charge, so don't necessarily expect him to now be locked up for 20 years. If they just double the sentence then that would only mean him going back to prison for another couple of months due to time already served, then he'll be back under house arrest again for the remainder.

One report said it was a minimum of 15 years.

We will have to wait and see, loads of reports\news articles could be inaccurate or just made up at the moment regarding this.

Advertisement