Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blade Runner becomes Blade Gunner **Mod Warning Read OP""

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

robinph wrote: »
    More confidence in them being able to make the correct descion based on the facts than the lynch mob of boards.

But the Appeal court said the original trial judge erred in her application of the law. Couldn't have confidence in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm confused in relation to the comment on "Pistorius must have known shooting though the door would have killed someone" does that mean if it was a burglar it would still have been murder ?
    yes. And the same law applies here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm confused in relation to the comment on "Pistorius must have known shooting though the door would have killed someone" does that mean if it was a burglar it would still have been murder ?

Essentially, yes. There was no warning shot and he shot to kill. Who was thought to be behind the door was deemed irrelevant. Realistically he knew full well who was behind the door, and the hole in his story is the way in which he made insufficient effort to determine who was actually in there and shot without an attempt to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

More confidence in them being able to make the correct descion based on the facts than the lynch mob of boards.

As you are so concerned with facts and law and correct procedure that's now totally irrelevant and this 'lynch mob' has been proven correct because he is now deemed to be a convicted murderer.

After all the facts and blah blah blah you have spewed during and particularly post verdict it seems you are wrong and have always been wrong. maybe it's time to eat a slice of that humble pie.

I'm not sure how I feel about this to be honest....I just don't think there was enough evidence put forward to say that Pistorius did know it was Reeva S behind the door and less again to say his intention was to kill.

doesn't really matter what rose tinted glasses you were looking through. There was evidence and plenty of it... he's now a convicted murderer according to a supreme court judge and the majority of the planet who had any insight into the case.
    I also don't like the idea of a system where you can be charged with something then re-charged without a full trial.

What about someone who has spent years in prison but are actually innocent, when the appeal finds them to be so, should there be a full re trial? It's the same principle, only the converse...nonsensical and idiotic in equal measure.
    I do feel this has more to do with the public backlash about the original conviction than any real feeling that he is actually guilty.

This sounds like nothing more than chucking your toys out of the pram, ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Nodin wrote: »
    Essentially, yes. There was no warning shot and he shot to kill. Who was thought to be behind the door was deemed irrelevant. Realistically he knew full well who was behind the door, and the hole in his story is the way in which he made insufficient effort to determine who was actually in there and shot without an attempt to do so.

Yeah I get that now, I would have thought SA would have more Robust house defence laws though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

As you are so concerned with facts and law and correct procedure that's now totally irrelevant and this 'lynch mob' has been proven correct because he is now deemed to be a convicted murderer.

After all the facts and blah blah blah you have spewed during and particularly post verdict it seems you are wrong and have always been wrong. maybe it's time to eat a slice of that humble pie.

Are you aware of what he has now been found guilty of? He has still not been found guilty of the murder of Reeva Steenkamp, or of pre meditated murder.

Never had any issue with this verdict as being the result.

Are you aware of what he has now been found guilty of? He has still not been found guilty of the murder of Reeva Steenkamp, or of pre meditated murder.

Yet you call it a 'lynch mob'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yet you call it a 'lynch mob'

Bunch of people calling for blood based on zero evidence for the crime they think was committed? Sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yeah I get that now, I would have thought SA would have more Robust house defence laws though.

If you can find me a country that allows burglars to be shot dead for hiding in a toilet, please let me know the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Bunch of people calling for blood based on zero evidence for the crime they think was committed? Sounds about right.

How can you actually say something so patently stupid as that?

Zero Evidence? Apart from the dead girl and (actual) smoking gun in Oscar's hand?

The only thing there is zero evidence for is anything other than the simple fact that he committed the crime, the very essence of an open and shut case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

His story was ridiculous from the outset, tbh. Right verdict.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    How can you actually say something so patently stupid as that?

Zero Evidence? Apart from the dead girl and (actual) smoking gun in Oscar's hand?

The only thing there is zero evidence for is anything other than the simple fact that he committed the crime, the very essence of an open and shut case.

Please do try and keep up.

There are two different murder charges that have been discussed throughout the case. The one that he has now been found guilty of you are quit right there is plenty of evidence for.

The other charge of pre meditated murder of RS there is zero evidence for, but that seems to be what people think he has now been found guilty of and have been screaming for since the start. He has not been found guilty of that charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Please do try and keep up.

There are two different murder charges that have been discussed throughout the case. The one that he has now been found guilty of you are quit right there is plenty of evidence for.

The other charge of pre meditated murder of RS there is zero evidence for, but that seems to be what people think he has now been found guilty of and have been screaming for since the start. He has not been found guilty of that charge.

It makes no odds. He murdered that poor girl and now he is going away for a long, long time. Justice has been served to him. His fairytale was completely unbelievable. I understand the charge isn't that he specifically murdered Reeva, but you seem pretty butt hurt that the majority of your statements have been proven completely wrong and your trying to use semantics to get a semblance of saving face.

It makes no odds. He murdered that poor girl and now he is going away for a long, long time. Justice has been served to him. His fairytale was completely unbelievable. I understand the charge isn't that he specifically murdered Reeva, but you seem pretty butt hurt that the majority of your statements have been proven completely wrong and your trying to use semantics to get a semblance of saving face.
    What has been proven wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Are all the media outlets wrong then? :confused:
    Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius has been found guilty of murder after a South African appeals court overturned an earlier manslaughter verdict.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34993002

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Are all the media outlets wrong then? :confused:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34993002

Nope, they are correct. You are just reading it wrong.

Nope, they are correct. You are just reading it wrong.

Ah, OK. Note to self: sign up for 'Introduction to Reading Comprehension'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Just had a look at the twitter and the masses do seem to be getting a bit upset at the verdict so far. I guess most people were listening to a different set of evidence to what the prosecution was actually presenting to the judge then?

The appeal judge must have been "listening to a different set of evidence to what the prosecution was actually presenting to the judge then?"

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The appeal judge must have been "listening to a different set of evidence to what the prosecution was actually presenting to the judge then?"

Eh?
    Nope. It's clear he re-evaluated the same evidence.

You need to go and read up on this case and see exactly what Pistorious has now been found guilty of and why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

What has been proven wrong?

In fairness, you seemed pretty keen to defend Oscar throughout this thread. You clearly believed his version of events in some shape or form as ridiculous as they were. The right thing to do now would be to just say you got it wrong & this horrible liar is getting a proper jail sentence.

It's one thing to kill someone but it's the sign of a sociopath the way he has gone on with these fabrications.

Eh?

You've misunderstood what is being talked about again.

People were shouting for a guilty of pre-meditated murder of RS.

That is not what he has just been found guilty of.

Kunkka wrote: »
    In fairness, you seemed pretty keen to defend Oscar throughout this thread. You clearly believed his version of events in some shape or form as ridiculous as they were. The right thing to do now would be to just say you got it wrong & this horrible liar is getting a proper jail sentence.

It's one thing to kill someone but it's the sign of a sociopath the way he has gone on with these fabrications.

His version of events have not been proved wrong. Both the original judge and the appeal judges fully accept his version of events.

Dog. With. A. Bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭whatstherush

You've misunderstood what is being talked about again.

People were shouting for a guilty of pre-meditated murder of RS.

That is not what he has just been found guilty of.

"pre meditated" is a term you have added. There's is nothing incorrect in saying he has been found guilty of the murder of RS. You can south your soul by saying he didn't know it was her if you want.

"pre meditated" is a term you have added. There's is nothing incorrect in saying he has been found guilty of the murder of RS. You can south your soul by saying he didn't know it was her if you want.

I didn't come up with the "pre-meditated" bit. That was what he was being charged with right from the outset.

I'm perfectly happy with the current verdict and my position has not changed from the start. The initial judge dismissed this version of murder due to some technical reading of the SA law and some Latin terminology which nobody really understood, but now the appeal judges have re-read that and found it correct to find him guilty of that charge.

You can sooth your soul by thinking that he has now been found guilty of what people were screaming for, the pre-meditated murder charge. The fact is that he has not.

But, he has been found guilty of murder, yes?

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    But, he has been found guilty of murder, yes?

Yes.

Yes.

OK. Then why did you say he hadn't been in the following post?

You didn't just say he hadn't been found guilty of pre-meditated murder. You said that he hadn't been found guilty of murder or pre-meditated murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

His version of events have not been proved wrong. Both the original judge and the appeal judges fully accept his version of events.

O come on!!!

Advertisement