Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacherslookup.com & Data Protection legislation

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Graham wrote: »
    You must be a special case katydid and as you've already said you aren't worried about your information appearing on teachers lookup then there's probably nothing I can help you with.

If you're curious, try some of the links gaiscioch posted here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96659352&postcount=138
    Hardly a special case. I use google.ie, and, like other people on this tread, I got results that make no mention whatsoever of this teacherlookup website.

It's nothing to do with me; personally I don't care about this publicly available information being easily available.

What I do care is misinformation. And that is what is going on here. A simple search of google.ie, involving total fifteen different names, did not result in one single link to this website. Other people have done the same, with the same result. So to imply that when any teacher puts their name into google it will be linked with the website is simply untrue.

I looked up the links Gaiscioch posted, and, as I said, the phrase in the search box appears as "site: ie.teacherslookup.com Mary O'Brien". That is not a simple search of a person's name. Of course the name will turn up in connection with teacherslookup.com if you type that into the search box!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

katydid wrote: »
    Hardly a special case. I use google.ie, and, like other people on this tread, I got results that make no mention whatsoever of this teacherlookup website.

It's nothing to do with me; personally I don't care about this publicly available information being easily available.

What I do care is misinformation. And that is what is going on here. A simple search of google.ie, involving in total fifteen different names, did not result in one single link to this website. Other people have done the same, with the same result. So to imply that when any teacher puts their name into google it will be linked with the website is simply untrue.

I looked up the links Gaiscioch posted, and, as I said, the phrase in the search box appears as "site: ie.teacherslookup.com Mary O'Brien". That is not a simple search of a person's name. Of course the name will turn up in connection with teacherslookup.com if you type that into the search box!

ok, glad you worked it all out.

ok, glad you worked it all out.

Yep, I worked it out that a simple google search does NOT bring up the person's name in connection with the website. This claim is untrue and misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

What I do care is misinformation. And that is what is going on here. A simple search of google.ie, involving total fifteen different names, did not result in one single link to this website. Other people have done the same, with the same result. So to imply that when any teacher puts their name into google it will be linked with the website is simply untrue.

OK, you don't believe us. Can't you just leave it at that though?

Did other people contact the TC, and get an email saying they'd get back to you?I'd be a bit less fretful if I knew i was on a medium-sized list of numbers they're going to ring, at least then I wouldn't worry that they've just forgotten me. I wonder if it would do any good if I rang them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Googles rankings algorithms change the positions/visibility of those pages on a continuous basis. Once the page containing your details is in the Google index, it is likely to appear in basic searches over time.

This is a very relevant post. In other words, those people who aren't in the first page now of a Google search - but who we've established, via a Google search today, are further down in Google at the moment - will appear higher up the Google search as the site grows (as it's doing).

Will people take even a medium-term view of this control of, and publication of, information given to the TCI in good faith that is now held by a private commercial US firm which, unlike the Teaching Council of Ireland, is not governed by Irish data protection legislation.

• Advertisement

OK, you don't believe us. Can't you just leave it at that though? at they've just forgotten me. I wonder if it would do any good if I rang them.

I'm saying that when I log on to google.ie and type in someone's name, the person's name does NOT come up in connection with the site. I did it fifteen times.

I have provided evidence of this. You haven't provided evidence of what you claim. I'm not saying I don't believe you. I'm saying that for some reason when you log on to google.ie and type in someone's name, the person's name comes up in connection to this site. Can you provide a link to what the result of your search is, so we can compare both searches? That might clear up the mystery.
    We've cleared up the mystery with Gaiscioch - he's typing in
    "site: ie.teacherslookup.com Mary O'Brien", so naturally the link will appear in his search results.

No, I won't "leave it at that". If you claim that a simple google search of the kind I described brings a certain result, and if several searches disprove that claim, the onus on those making the claim is to qualify it.

EDIT: I stand corrected, there are now 54,800 pages indexed. The number of pages has almost tripled over the last two days.

The one or two people here whose names have still not come up on that US website via a simple Google search can rest assured that if the above rate of growth continues, they'll be up before the end of the week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Google in many cases returns personalised results, so what I get on searching for 'John Byrne' will be different from what katydid gets, or anyone else for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I'm saying that when I log on to google.ie and type in someone's name, the person's name does NOT come up in connection with the site. I did it fifteen times.

I have provided evidence of this. You haven't provided evidence of what you claim. I'm not saying I don't believe you. I'm saying that for some reason when you log on to google.ie and type in someone's name, the person's name comes up in connection to this site. Can you provide a link to what the result of your search is, so we can compare both searches? That might clear up the mystery.
    We've cleared up the mystery with Gaiscioch - he's typing in
    "site: ie.teacherslookup.com Mary O'Brien", so naturally the link will appear in his search results.

No, I won't "leave it at that". If you claim that a simple google search of the kind I described brings a certain result, and if several searches disprove that claim, the onus on those making the claim is to qualify it.

It happens in my case. If you've been paying attention you'll understand why I'm not going to tell you my name so you can look it up. What you believe doesn't matter.
    I get that you don't believe me, and I understand why. I don't see why somebody for whom this is a non-issue is spending so much time on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It happens in my case. If you've been paying attention you'll understand why I'm not going to tell you my name so you can look it up. What you believe doesn't matter.
    I get that you don't believe me, and I understand why. I don't see why somebody for whom this is a non-issue is spending so much time on the thread.

It also now happens for my name. A simple Google search returns only one perfect match (as opposed to just my first name or just my surname) - my listing on this website.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in your case. I'm saying it doesn't happen in the fifteen cases I tried. Which is rather strange.

You don't need to use your own name to give me an example. I haven't given an example using mine, the six names I posted were made up and the nine I tried of names known to me included my own. I was wondering how you were searching. Gaiscioch, for example, was searching specifically for this site so obviously it's going to come up. When you enter a name, any name, do you do so directly in the normal google.ie search engine? I am going to do it randomly now with another name I've pulled out of a hat...here goes:
    I type "teacherlookup Jennifer Power" and the first, entry is in her name and linked with the teacherlookup site.
    https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=pIdTVZviKcWp7AbHw4OQBA#q=teacherlookup+Jennifer+Power

I type in "Jennifer Power" and the first four entries are to LinkedIn, with no mention of the teacherlookup website anywhere on the page
    https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=pIdTVZviKcWp7AbHw4OQBA#q=Jennifer+Power

No matter what name I put in, the same result happens. That's sixteen different searches now. This is why I think you're not doing a simple google search but are adding something.

It is not a non-issue that people are posting misleading and untrue information here. YOU are, for some reason, getting a direct link to this site; it may be your search method or there may be some other explanation. I just take exception to the implication that it is the norm that you will be linked to this site when you type in your name in a direct google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭derb12

Putting in really common typical Irish names proves nothing. If I google Mary Murphy or similar, there are hundreds of links because there are hundreds of people around the world with this name and all their linkedin pages, facebook accounts etc (and in this case one Ms Murphy is a prominent choreographer!) clutter up the first few pages of google search results, with a ratemyteachers link on page 4. You are actually less likely to find someone with a really common name on the site.

I put in the slightly unusual name of a colleague and up pops her teacherslookup entry on the first page returned. No comments as yet. I tried 5 teachers and myself and found 2 out of the 6 on teacherslookup. I now know that the other guy who had an entry on the site only has conditional (H&S?) registration, which is none of my business. I could have found this out with an additional click on the teachers look-up on the TC site, but I can find it more easily on the new site. A person doesn't even need to know that my colleague is a teacher in order to find her workplace.

I'm fully with those who think this is a complete disgrace. The teaching council have allowed information about some of their paid-up members to be taken from their database and held on servers abroad. It adds no new information to the world but gives students another opportunity to comment on their teachers anonymously.

The bit about us being public servants with nothing to hide? Yes that's fine as long as every other person paid by the state also has a website I can search, find out their reg no, address of their place of work and status of registration and leave a comment if say, a nurse is a bit rough with a needle taking a blood sample, or a garda keeps me waiting too long for my passport photo or a clerical officer makes a mistake while getting copies of my kids' birth certs.

You get one shot at your privacy. If you decide to put up tagged photos of yourself all over the place and chart the progress of your life openly through facebook, then this new website will seem like no big deal. You've decided to abandon your privacy yourself. But that doesn't mean that everyone has to live their life that way.

And by the way, searching google.ie doesn't mean that the results are resources which are located in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Didn't you claim that, as public servants, the public have a right to know the details being provided on that site? Have you provided any evidence of this yet or is the onus only on other people to back their claims up while you are exempt?

This whole thing doesn't bother me much personally as I have a very common name but it is worrying that this sort of thing is going on. People absolutely are not entitled to know where I work, what my TC registration number is (which is part of the data that comes up on the site), my registration status etc. The people who are entitled to some of that data are my students, their parents, maybe the parents of prospective students and, of course, my employers (or future employers). They can access all of that from the TC's website if they're looking for me specifically in my professional capacity.

Some bunny boiler I meet on a night out should not be able to turn up at the school gate thanks to a simple google search.

It also now happens for my name. A simple Google search returns only one perfect match (as opposed to just my first name or just my surname) - my listing on this website.
    Strange. Only one perfect match? No FB or LinkedIn references? Nobody else with your name at all? You must have a really unusual name... :-)

Mine is relatively unusual, the only one of that name on the TC register, but when I google it, two other people of the same name, of two different professions, come up before mine. Mine comes up way down the page in connection with my college's Moodle site.

Just tried another name of someone I know who's a teacher. For the first time I got a hit with the teacherlookup link, but it's fourth down the page. No other hits from Ireland comes up - his name is fairly unusual - but there are other hits referring to people from New Zealand and the States. Weird that you get only one hit for your name and it's yours.

RealJohn wrote: »
    Didn't you claim that, as public servants, the public have a right to know the details being provided on that site? Have you provided any evidence of this yet or is the onus only on other people to back their claims up while you are exempt?

This whole thing doesn't bother me much personally as I have a very common name but it is worrying that this sort of thing is going on. People absolutely are not entitled to know where I work, what my TC registration number is (which is part of the data that comes up on the site), my registration status etc. The people who are entitled to some of that data are my students, their parents, maybe the parents of prospective students and, of course, my employers (or future employers). They can access all of that from the TC's website if they're looking for me specifically in my professional capacity.

Some bunny boiler I meet on a night out should not be able to turn up at the school gate thanks to a simple google search.

No, I didn't provide any evidence for it. It's just common sense; as a public servant, working in a capacity where you are interacting with the public on a daily basis, I see no reason not to have one's basic details in relation to one's job listed.

If your students, their parents etc. have the right to have access to that information, why not future prospective students and their parents? Why not the general public? You are in a job with a public profile - you stand up in front of hundreds of people every day.

If a bunny boiler wants to find you, she will...

derb12 wrote: »
    Putting in really common typical Irish names proves nothing. If I google Mary Murphy or similar, there are hundreds of links because there are hundreds of people around the world with this name and all their linkedin pages, facebook accounts etc (and in this case one Ms Murphy is a prominent choreographer!) clutter up the first few pages of google search results, with a ratemyteachers link on page 4. You are actually less likely to find someone with a really common name on the site.

I put in the slightly unusual name of a colleague and up pops her teacherslookup entry on the first page returned. .

Most teachers have fairly common names...there are 24 Mary O'Briens on the TC register, for example. Statistically, someone searching for names would be searching for common names.

As for uncommon names, in my first search, I specifically picked names of teachers I know, who have uncommon names. I checked on the TC register, and in each case, they were the only ones of that name listed. NONE of those came up on a simple google search with any connection to the teacherlookup website.

It all seems very arbitrary and random.

I don't disagree with anyone that this website is unethical and probably illegal. I do disagree, however, that the norm is for a teacher's name to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Strange. Only one perfect match? No FB or LinkedIn references? Nobody else with your name at all? You must have a really unusual name... :-)

Mine is relatively unusual, the only one of that name on the TC register, but when I google it, two other people of the same name, of two different professions, come up before mine. Mine comes up way down the page in connection with my college's Moodle site.

Just tried another name of someone I know who's a teacher. For the first time I got a hit with the teacherlookup link, but it's fourth down the page. No other hits from Ireland comes up - his name is fairly unusual - but there are other hits referring to people from New Zealand and the States. Weird that you get only one hit for your name and it's yours.

Yes I have a very unusual name - the combination of first name and surname particularly. As I said already, no Google links at all other than this. No need for your incredulous questions or condescending smiley - I was quite clear in what I said.

Yes I have a very unusual name - the combination of first name and surname particularly. As I said already, no Google links at all other than this. No need for your incredulous questions or condescending smiley - I was quite clear in what I said.
    I never said I didn't believe you. Hence the smiley - to show I wasn't being passive aggressive.

But you have to admit that for the vast majority of people, a google search will bring up more than one entry for their name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Any chance we could quit arguing about Google searches and go back to discussing the leak itself? Particularly since it's already been said that google results differ depending on your site history, particularly if you happen to be logged into your gmail account.

More info here: http://themetaq.com/articles/reasons-your-google-search-results-are-different-than-mine

Back to the teaching council. Can't believe they still haven't responded on this. Has anyone contacted the data commissioner?

And on a different tack, is there any other branch of the public service where employment status and place of work are publicly available on a website?

Edit: just checked the medical council and they only have the county as an address. Nurses have no addres whatsoever. Seems bonkers for the TC to have the school.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

And on a different tack, is there any other branch of the public service where employment status and place of work are publicly available on a website?

There's quite a few websites where personally identifiable information is available but most of them have a flag set to ask search engines not to index the content.

Although none of these are public service, I think the law society holds something similar, same for chartered accountants and the medical council. The difference appears to be they've all (by luck or planning) managed to prevent the registers leaking wholesale to the internet at large.

Data is available for councillors and TDs but they all hold public office rather than being public servants.

• Advertisement

Most teachers have fairly common names...

I'm a bit bereft of words at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

There's quite a few websites where personally identifiable information is available but most of them have a flag set to ask search engines not to index the content.

Although none of these are public service, I think the law society holds something similar, same for chartered accountants and the medical council. The difference appears to be they've all (by luck or planning) managed to prevent the registers leaking wholesale to the internet at large.

Data is available for councillors and TDs but they all hold public office rather than being public servants.

Medical council has no addresses. Both the law society and chartered accountants have addresses but actually no registration status! However I would argue that because they are publicising their business it makes sense for them whereas that's not necessary for us.

Derb12's point was absolutely spot-on and incisive, and possessed a long-term perspective regarding our privacy. Very well said in a "why did none of us think of that beforehand?" way.

Perhaps if some teachers don't mind their private work details like occupation and place of employment being in the control of a private foreign firm that is not subject to Irish privacy laws they could tick a box, and those of us who do not tick the box can be assumed to have not given our consent? I have absolutely no problem with that. However, nobody has a right to impose their openness to having an online profile for the world to see on my aspiration for a quiet, fairly anonymous life outside of school with no online profile.

Nowhere, I repeat nowhere, on my contract of employment with the Irish state was this invasion of privacy part of the deal. If I want to become a public representative, that becomes part of the deal and I would be financially compensated accordingly.

Finally, as has been said here ad nauseam, the idea that personal details attached to the 300,000 public servants of this state must be made publicly available on a website controlled by a private business (and one beyond Irish data protection law at that), simply because the Irish state pays their salaries, is risible. It really is abjectly ill-informed drivel that gloriously ploughs into a plethora of civil rights.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    D

Finally, as has been said here ad nauseam, the idea that personal details attached to the 300,000 public servants of this state must be made publicly available on a website controlled by a private business (and one beyond Irish data protection law at that), simply because the Irish state pays their salaries, is risible. .
    Who on this thread is in favour of such a thing?

I'm a bit bereft of words at this.

Why? Statistically speaking, you will find more Murphys, O'Neills and McCarthys in any given cohort of Irish people than fFeatherstonehaugs and Cholmondleys.

Why? Statistically speaking, you will find more Murphys, O'Neills and McCarthys in any given cohort of Irish people than fFeatherstonehaugs and Cholmondleys.

First, you have to define what you consider to be a "fairly common name" - I want the entire list - and second you have to present evidence of 50% plus 1 teacher ("most") having one of those names. Good luck.

Finally, as has been said here ad nauseam, the idea that personal details attached to the 300,000 public servants of this state must be made publicly available on a website controlled by a private business (and one beyond Irish data protection law at that), simply because the Irish state pays their salaries, is risible. It really is abjectly ill-informed drivel that gloriously ploughs into a plethora of civil rights.

Who on this thread is in favour of such a thing?

Maybe this person?
    It's a case of reality - the public has a right to know who works in publicly funded institutions.
    A school is a publicly funded institution. Show me evidence that the public does NOT have the right to know who is employed by them in a publicly funded institution...
    it's about the public knowing who the staff of an educational establishment are. Hardly unreasonable, given that the taxpayer pays our wages?

It's just common sense; as a public servant, working in a capacity where you are interacting with the public on a daily basis, I see no reason not to have one's basic details in relation to one's job listed.

And, I especially note the "get out of your job if you don't accept my views on privacy" lecture to a poster in this one:
    This is what I'm taking issue with - you are a public servant, in a public job. You can't expect your workplace not to be named on a professional register.

If that's a problem for you, you're in the wrong job.

PS: Any chance you'll answer the questions about the legal basis for all of your views on rights to privacy among Irish public servants? You've been asked several times now.

Maybe this person?

And, I especially note the "get out of your job if you don't accept my views on privacy" lecture to a poster in this one:

PS: Any chance you'll answer the questions about the legal basis for all of your views on rights to privacy among Irish public servants? You've been asked several times now.

What has anything I said got to do with the unethical taking of information by this commercial website? All I ever said was that I see no problem with this information being in the public domain. Which it is, and was long before this site came along.

You are reading A and understanding B.

What has anything I said got to do with the unethical taking of information by this commercial website? All I ever said was that I see no problem with this information being in the public domain. Which it is, and was long before this site came along.

You are reading A and understanding B.

No, you are creating strawmen in full knowledge that the issue here is that a state database has so incompetently handled private information that it has been pilfered by a commercial organisation beyond Irish law, which now controls it. That is why this thread exists; the thread was not established in reaction to the database per se. Assuming that English is your first language you are fully cognisant of what this is all about. Yet you proceed with your strawmen. Why?

Even with your strawmen, you haven't presented any legal defence for your decidedly strange idea that all 300,000 public servants do not have a right to privacy regarding their place of employment, profession, and other details. Despite numerous requests, you refuse to answer this. Why?

• Advertisement

No, you are creating strawmen in full knowledge that the issue here is that a state database has so incompetently handled private information that it has been pilfered by a commercial organisation beyond Irish law, which now controls it. That is why this thread exists; the thread was not established in reaction to the database per se. Assuming that English is your first language you are fully cognisant of what this is all about. Yet you proceed with your strawmen. Why?

Even with your strawmen, you haven't presented any legal defence for your decidedly strange idea that all 300,000 public servants do not have a right to privacy regarding their place of employment, profession, and other details. Despite numerous requests, you refuse to answer this. Why?

No, it's quite simple.

I have no problem with teachers' details being publicly available on the TC website.

I have a problem with them being available unautorised on a commercial website.

Some people objected to the information being available at all. I don't.

Advertisement