Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soild fuel stove advise

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

hello,
    looking at getting a multi-fuel stove into my Dads house. He has a fireplace with a back boiler, but we'd looking at ripping that out and put in a non boiler stove for him.

Local shop has Bilerry stoves, Blacksmith anvil stove or Stanley Oisin stove.
    We just need a 6kw stove I think - the room isn't too big and the house is well insulated now.

any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭sooty_soupy

Clearview vision inset will work in the existing fireplace once the boiler has been removed. Clearview Pioneer 400 as an alternative. One of the most controllable and efficient stoves on the market, British built for nearly 30 years, in contrast to the other list you have given. Clearview have a fantastic design of door handle and hinge to ensure air tightness, which allows them to stay in for long periods of time on very little fuel, so overnight burning is easy. The Clearview stoves don't rely on airwash (which most people have learnt only works correctly when their stove is blazing ferociously, which eats fuel) but the Clearview has a patented double glazed system for crystal clear glass. Efficiency of a stove, and focal point of an open fire...the holy grail of stove buyers. Check out www.whatstove.co.uk for reviews. Call in to see three of the stoves lit easy day if you want to see what the fuss is all about.

Hope this helps.

Good morning
    One is steel the other is cast iron, steel is shaped and welded, you may get a design in the doors but other than that it is a square box, cast is melded and poured into a molded and you can get many different designs or effects but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Steel boiler stoves, if the boiler goes in years to come the stove goes, a cast stove, the boiler can be changed but if this happens you may be sick of looking at the stove and think time for a change. The steel stove is made in Ireland, the cast iron one is cast in China and assembled in Ireland. Company v Company, one of them is only 2/3 years old with a retail company linked to them already gone bust.
    Thats my 2 pence worth, do with it what you will!!

This is almost factually correct. The only real advantage of cast is that the unit holds temperature long after it goes out. The steel stoves drop temp soon after they go out, but would be a lot more controllable and airtight, which means you can keep them in longer.

Just for reference, a cast stove is very difficult to keep airtight due to plates that expand and contract at different rates. Think about the lid of the stove expanding a lot faster than the sides and the bottom slower than the rest. All these movements can effect tightness after a short period of time. The cast stoves are almost always jointed with fire cement which tends to dry and crumble, leading to a stove body that leaks like a sieve. Oxygen getting into the combustion chamber leads to over burning, which often results in thermal shock cracks in the cast plates. Steel stoves will remain airtight as the bodies are welded. Good British steel stoves such as Charnwood and Clearview are welded inside and out which are stronger. The Clearview has a very clever feature on the door handle and hinge which makes the door seal remain airtight all the time which is why the appliance is known for being up to 5 times more efficient than many others.

It is also worth noting that it is not factually correct that steel stoves have to be dumped if the boiler leaks. It is a manufacturing choice if the boiler can be removed and replaced. Clearview were one of the first stove companies to have such a design, ensuring your investment is safe. It is worth asking before purchasing a boiler stove if the boiler can be removed for either repair or replacement...if not...Walk away....there are better choices out there. The boiler can let go at any time on any stove...don't risk a manufacturer telling you they are out of warranty and you have no come back or alternative than to replace the whole unit.

Hope this helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Clearview vision inset will work in the existing fireplace once the boiler has been removed. Clearview Pioneer 400 as an alternative. One of the most controllable and efficient stoves on the market, British built for nearly 30 years, in contrast to the other list you have given. Clearview have a fantastic design of door handle and hinge to ensure air tightness, which allows them to stay in for long periods of time on very little fuel, so overnight burning is easy. The Clearview stoves don't rely on airwash (which most people have learnt only works correctly when their stove is blazing ferociously, which eats fuel) but the Clearview has a patented double glazed system for crystal clear glass. Efficiency of a stove, and focal point of an open fire...the holy grail of stove buyers. Check out www.whatstove.co.uk for reviews. Call in to see three of the stoves lit easy day if you want to see what the fuss is all about.

Hope this helps.

thanks, just looked them up, look like great stoves. why do you recommend an inset? would the pioneer not throw out more heat (6 sides and all!) Is the pioneer multi-fuel? where can I buy them?

Sooty,

Your posts are reading a bit spammy. They've been reported too. I removed them as its against the rules to advertise for free. I maybe wrong but they look a bit pro one manufacturer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

Hi...looking to buy 3 insert stoves. am wondering if it'd be worth my while going to Eastern Europe and buying them there and shipping home? has anyone done this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

hero25 wrote: »
    Hi...looking to buy 3 insert stoves. am wondering if it'd be worth my while going to Eastern Europe and buying them there and shipping home? has anyone done this!!

I bought a 30kw wood boiler from poland a few weeks ago and it worked out almost half price. A friend bought all the stuff for the house he is renovating and shipped it home in a container. He reckons he saved well over €10k on €35k worth of stuff. I'd say it'd be worth your while.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DenisCork

If your putting the inserts into existing fireplaces be careful as the eastern European ones are usually wider than standard Irish fireplaces. Apart from that the quality can be quiet good. Also they measure spigot diameter from the outside so 150mm will not take a 6 inch flue, you might need to get something made up in stainless steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ali22

Looking at putting a 5KW stove into our sitting room. It's a rented house so we want to take it with us when we leave. Not looking to spend a fortune as it may or may not be suitable whenever we go next. We've looking at the Dump!ex Westcott 5 or a bilberry 5kw. Any experience of these two or recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

ali22 wrote: »
    Looking at putting a 5KW stove into our sitting room. It's a rented house so we want to take it with us when we leave. Not looking to spend a fortune as it may or may not be suitable whenever we go next. We've looking at the Dump!ex Westcott 5 or a bilberry 5kw. Any experience of these two or recommendations?
    Not worth the bother if you're renting. Your needs may be totally different when you move - eg. sizing of stove (output) to suit space. Also physical size of stove in new location may not match previous.

Try and encourage landlord to go this route. Otherwise, keep your cash in your pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Hi Guys,

Need advice, attached is my current fireplace!
    I would like to get either an inset stove or leave it freestanding. I was told that either way work will need to be done on my fireplace as a stove could not sit on the fireplace with enough space away from the wood (under regulations) so that needs to be changed or amended. Hope that makes sense.

I would be look for a 5 to 7KW solid fuel stove (non boiler). Can anyone advise a good stove and a ballpark of cost etc I would be looking at?

And also a good company who would fit/install it?
    I live in Kildare area.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

If you get an inset, you won't have to make any changes to/extend the hearth. Fireplace insert will have to come out - but that's not a big job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hi Guys,

Need advice, attached is my current fireplace!
    I would like to get either an inset stove or leave it freestanding. I was told that either way work will need to be done on my fireplace as a stove could not sit on the fireplace with enough space away from the wood (under regulations) so that needs to be changed or amended. Hope that makes sense.

I would be look for a 5 to 7KW solid fuel stove (non boiler). Can anyone advise a good stove and a ballpark of cost etc I would be looking at?

And also a good company who would fit/install it?
    I live in Kildare area.

Thanks in advance

I have a very similar fireplace, and got an Inis Airc freestanding stove fitted last year. I didn't have to touch any bit of the fireplace.

My hearth is flush with the floor, and has a surround which was deemed enough to protect the wooden floor from bits falling out of the fire (hasn't happened once). But if it wasn't like that, then the company were offering me a semi-circular piece of metal that would be fitted to the floor in front of the stove so that you've a big enough non-flammable area in front of the stove door.

The stove sits quite far out, which I thought would be a problem but in fact it's absolutely fine. The stove itself is the business, couldn't say enough good about it. It's a 5KW, and once it's up and running and warm, half an eco-log or a single briquette will burn for an hour.

I got Antique Fireplaces http://www.fireplacesandstovesdublin.ie/ in Kilternan to supply and fit it. Mine is an old two-storey house so I had to get the whole chimney lined. They'll come out and do an assessment and price the job for you. They were fantastic, I was very happy with the job they did.

Any other questions, just ask or PM.

I'll try to attach a pic, but can't seem to do it without advertising my entire photo history on Picasa which I'm obviously not keen on doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I have a very similar fireplace, and got an Inis Airc freestanding stove fitted last year. I didn't have to touch any bit of the fireplace.

Thanks very much Heidi, I will definitely send you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

You will need 2 45s and probably a 300mm straight that will need to be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Thanks
    The shop said it's a 90°degree kit for the oisin but that doesn't sound right to me

Why not take a look on the websites of Oriel or Miflue or Schiedel. With your installer/ plumber you can cherry pick exactly the adapters and straight sections you need from their product & application tabs. All 3 provide good technical notes.
    ( No affiliations btw)
    Good luck with project.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Hi. Recently got a new Oisin fitted to replace an older one that was incorrectly fitted. New one looks great, but since lighting it the first time, there's drops of liquid dropping down the chimney onto the stove where it turns into a stinky smoke. Any idea what could be causing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

hi - I have a 8kw morso panther set into the recess of what used to be the fireplace. There's plenty of room around the stove, and it looks great. It's doing an OK job heating a fairly large room as it is, but am considering taking it out of the recess so the whole stove is out in the open. Can anyone tell me, will this make much of a difference? It seems to make sense that a stove that is not tucked into a recess would be much more effective (radiant + convection wise), but would hate to go to the bother to realize there's very little difference.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭novaboy80

I recently bought a 8 kw multifuel stove for my sitting room, the house was built in 1916, real old chimney, it looks huge up there!

The guy i bought the stove from said that if there has been no problems with the chimney when i used to have the fireplace roaring up the chimney throughout the winters and had no issues with a leaking chimney or downdraughts then the chimney should be ok to connect the stove up to without the need for a flexi flue liner, and to see how it goes, but i have a few questions still.

Im not sure what my chimney looks like up there, it has a clay pot on the top like most chimneys do, but do typical cottages built in that time have those pots all the ways up the chimney or could it be a hollow chimney , i ask as the cottage has 2 foot stone walls but the chimney, viewed from the attic, is made of bricks.

What kind of a temp. increase would there be from the smoke, compared to that of an open fireplace?

I cleaned the chimney last summer and intend to do so again before installing the stove, should i be ok to go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 quasiff

I fitted a Stanley Oisin (6.4 kW) stove to a brand new chimney without a flexi liner and had trouble sealing the flue adapter against dripping. I took the stove out and reinstalled it with a flexi double wall flue liner. It' s never leaked since. I don't know if there were any fumes leaking from the original flue (probably not) but the dripping has been fixed. Getting the 6" flue liner round the last bend in the flue was difficult. The manual for the stove says 5" minimum flue liner.

I put a second small stove (Blacksmith Anvil, 6 kW) in another room and used a 5" liner which was much easier to feed through. I expect you will need at least a 6" liner with an 8 kW stove. The stove maker should tell you.

• Advertisement

novaboy80 wrote: »
    I recently bought a 8 kw multifuel stove for my sitting room, the house was built in 1916, real old chimney, it looks huge up there!

The guy i bought the stove from said that if there has been no problems with the chimney when i used to have the fireplace roaring up the chimney throughout the winters and had no issues with a leaking chimney or downdraughts then the chimney should be ok to connect the stove up to without the need for a flexi flue liner, and to see how it goes, but i have a few questions still.

Im not sure what my chimney looks like up there, it has a clay pot on the top like most chimneys do, but do typical cottages built in that time have those pots all the ways up the chimney or could it be a hollow chimney , i ask as the cottage has 2 foot stone walls but the chimney, viewed from the attic, is made of bricks.

What kind of a temp. increase would there be from the smoke, compared to that of an open fireplace?

I cleaned the chimney last summer and intend to do so again before installing the stove, should i be ok to go ahead?

Once again a supplier with obviously no background in chimneys selling stoves to the public with no regard for safety.

You will need to install a flexible liner and backfill with insulation to this chimney or indeed any flue, even if it had clay liners. Building regulations and most manufacturers of stoves recommend this as good practice and a number of manufacturers that are considered high end British built stoves insist on it.

It comes down to the dynamics of how a chimney works. A solid fuel open fire has a high flue gas temperature. You will know this as there was a tremendous amount of heat escaping from the open fire up the chimney with very little if any control over the burn rate, therefore the condition or construction material of the chimney was not just as critical.

Once this is understood you then have to accept that buying a stove, even the cheapest nastiest piece of crap from a hardware shop shipped in from China made with resmelted rubbish we sent to them in a ship three months ago with a bit of glass stuck in it and painted black, will burn slower..for a while at least. With this more controlled burn, you will get lower flue gas temperatures, meaning the gases are less buoyant and will not travel up a cold clay or brick chimney as quick. If there is moisture in the fuel this will burn off as steam, but will reach a due point before it exits the flue and cause a build up on condensates. This can be in the form of tar like substances, or trickle down like black water. If there is a boiler in the stove it will be even worse as the boiler cools the gasses before they even get into the flue.

A good quality 904 grade liner with the correct adapters, and an insulation will help keep flue temperatures warm and reduce the build up of dangerous levels of combustibles in a chimney. Forget about "will the smoke go up the chimney" crap....it will in most cases as long as it is clear...ish. You are trying to make the flue work correctly for the new appliance...simple as that.

You will also need to ventilate the room for an 8Kw stove. You need to add ventilation of 550mmsq for every Kw of the permissible 5Kw, so in your case 1650 is needed. Anything greater than 5Kw can reduce the oxygen levels in the room quicker than the house can let it back in through vents etc. Reduced oxygen levels will lead to carbon Monoxide risk. We are dealing with a case here in the North of a woman with a 21Kw stove, driving the central heating...even though she could never in a million years fuel it to do so...but that is a different rant, but with no ventilation she collapsed with carbon monoxide poisoning. As Chairman of the Northern Ireland Association of Chimney Sweeps I was asked to investigate and the case is going through the high court. I can't name the company for obvious reasons but they claim to be big in the country, but clearly big is not best.

We have put together some information on the Northern Ireland Association of Chimney Sweeps website www.niacs.co.uk which will help or www.cdsf.co.uk

Good luck

eas wrote: »
    hi - I have a 8kw morso panther set into the recess of what used to be the fireplace. There's plenty of room around the stove, and it looks great. It's doing an OK job heating a fairly large room as it is, but am considering taking it out of the recess so the whole stove is out in the open. Can anyone tell me, will this make much of a difference? It seems to make sense that a stove that is not tucked into a recess would be much more effective (radiant + convection wise), but would hate to go to the bother to realize there's very little difference.

thanks

If the alcove is correctly designed it will be better in the alcove than out. The thing you need for the Morso is 300mm above, 150mm either side and 100mm behind of CLEAR AIR SPACE. So many people tell me they have plenty of space around their stove and you find there is less than 3 or 4". It is a radiant heating system, and needs airflow around it to disperse the heat.

You would get more radiant heat if it is out of the alcove, but you will loose convection. The alcove should have a non combustible plate called a register plate at the lowest point in the alcove. We use steel in our installations rather than master board which will eventually crack. The flexible flue is fitted to the register plate with a register plate adapter and the whole lot is backfilled with vermiculite. This means that as the heat lifts off the stove it comes to the insulated plate and out into the room.

The other thing to note is that if you bring the stove into the room, you would be introducing bends in the flue which are a slowing down point for combustion gases escaping from the appliance and chimney. The best performing chimney is vertical with no bends at all.

Hope this helps.

David

DoctorBoo wrote: »
    Hi. Recently got a new Oisin fitted to replace an older one that was incorrectly fitted. New one looks great, but since lighting it the first time, there's drops of liquid dropping down the chimney onto the stove where it turns into a stinky smoke. Any idea what could be causing this?

Have a look at the reply to Novaboy, or check out www.cdsf.co.uk. It sounds like this new stove is not fitted correctly neither. Sadly for the public, a lot of Stanley agents are not chimney technicians but get an account with this company anyway...hence the amount of people having problems with the stove or more than likely the installation. The stove is only as good as the person fitting it. If you are a box mover selling stoves without the correct advice, and some muppet fits it whatever way they think best...the paying customer is going to get a rough ride...simple as that. The frightening thing is this is an appliance you are going to light a fire in, INSIDE THE HOUSE. What kind of society are we living in both North and South of the border where this can be seen as acceptable business practice. Surely Stanley should vet all stockists and installers before opening accounts in an effort to safe guard the general public that support the company???? Just a thought.

Sooty,

Your posts are reading a bit spammy. They've been reported too. I removed them as its against the rules to advertise for free. I maybe wrong but they look a bit pro one manufacturer

Sorry about that...we only supply one brand of stove, so you are not wrong about us being pro one manufacturer. For clarification to the forum users there are many stove manufacturers out there to choose from but we don't supply them. As far as we are concerned the safety, efficiency and performance of a heating appliance should not be compromised when it is going into someones home. We only supply and install Clearview Stoves. We believe that working with the leading manufacturer of Cleanburn stoves in the UK, with nearly 30 years in the industry, and a tried and tested track record, who hand pick good stockists rather than open accounts with anyone that can sell a box, is good practice on our part. We know and believe in the products we sell. Sure we'll let the online review sites do the selling for us. Sorry for crossing the line ;-)

Best regards

David Campbell

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Sooty,

Hi,

Having read the past few replies from sooty-soupy there is very little I would change, yes he may love the product he sells however I feel a touch of spam is deserved for the quality of his replies.

To clarify:

I do not do business with sooty-soupy or his preferred manufacturer, that doesn't mean I don't respect a fellow professionals post when I see it.

Thanks for the info!

I was aware that i would be needing to make a vent in the wall but some more info on that would be appreciated, I will need to drill through a 2 foot wall so that should be fun!
    You say 165cmsq for the vent, should the vent be positioned at approximately just below ceiling level or closer to floor level?
    Also, not going taking the risk after your advice aswell as others on the should i or shouldn't i use a flexi flue, I will play it safe and get one, when you say to backfill the flu/flexi flue, What material is best used and is this the entire length of the chimney that's to be backfilled in this way?

Just a quick update, stove is installed and up and running well, used 904 grade flexi flue liner the full run of the chimney, into a reducer and then into a length of flue pipe before entering 2 x 45 degree angle flue, and into the rear of the stove.

From reading online and checking regulations i decided not to insulate the flexi flue liner as it will not be running outside the house and is not too long either so there shoulnt be any issues with a cold flexi liner not providing enough of a pull.

I have a question, the stove has 3 air controls, i understand the workings of 2 of them but the 3rd one is a bit of a mystery as the manual doesn't say anything in much detail about it, it's a pull lever located underneath the stove, it can be pushed/pulled, opened/closed, it controls a little vent at the very bottom and rear of the stove, opening and closing it does not seem to have such a dramatic affect that you can clearly see what it's doing and therefore learn how to best use it, does anybody know how best to use this control?

The other 2 controls are 1 : Primary air control, it's a little wheel on the front of the stove, bottom of the stove door, 2 : The airwash control on the top of the stove door.

I have learned to use these 2 controls properly but it's the other one that has me annoyed as it could possibly make a difference to the stoves performance, no matter how small, can anybody help? Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Just a quick update, stove is installed and up and running well, used 904 grade flexi flue liner the full run of the chimney, into a reducer and then into a length of flue pipe before entering 2 x 45 degree angle flue, and into the rear of the stove.

From reading online and checking regulations i decided not to insulate the flexi flue liner as it will not be running outside the house and is not too long either so there shoulnt be any issues with a cold flexi liner not providing enough of a pull.

I have a question, the stove has 3 air controls, i understand the workings of 2 of them but the 3rd one is a bit of a mystery as the manual doesn't say anything in much detail about it, it's a pull lever located underneath the stove, it can be pushed/pulled, opened/closed, it controls a little vent at the very bottom and rear of the stove, opening and closing it does not seem to have such a dramatic affect that you can clearly see what it's doing and therefore learn how to best use it, does anybody know how best to use this control?

The other 2 controls are 1 : Primary air control, it's a little wheel on the front of the stove, bottom of the stove door, 2 : The airwash control on the top of the stove door.

I have learned to use these 2 controls properly but it's the other one that has me annoyed as it could possibly make a difference to the stoves performance, no matter how small, can anybody help? Cheers :)
    Need to know what make and model of stove

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Need to know what make and model of stove

I'm not allowed to post pictures here of the stove as i'm a new user.

There is no "Official" name for the stove, as far as i'm aware.

An 8kw non boiler stove that "looks" remarkably similar to the Stanley Tara's.

There on DoneDeal, a man in Clare sells them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

I'm not allowed to post pictures here of the stove as i'm a new user.

There is no "Official" name for the stove, as far as i'm aware.

An 8kw non boiler stove that "looks" remarkably similar to the Stanley Tara's.

There on DoneDeal, a man in Clare sells them.
    To post pics you can upload pics to photo bucket Dropbox or the likes and post link to them

Advertisement