Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soild fuel stove advise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Thought that website was a DIY outfit, no location or landline. Fit outs not to be recommended.
    Get a pro who knows what the regs are and the minimum height for the flue.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭sooty_soupy

oleras wrote: »
    I will be getting one of these next week, not sure which one to pick really, anyone have any of these installed and would you recomend something else maybe ?

Stovax Huntington 28

stovaxhuntingdon28multi.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nester Martin s23

s23h.jpg

Franco Belge savoy MK II

savoy.jpg

I really like the look of the savoy with its large glass front, and >80% effeciency, this is winning i think at the moment.

British manufactured Clearview Vision 500. 8KW with optional external air system, double glazed so the glass remains clear all the time, not just for brochure photos. One of the most efficient stoves in the world, the first in the world so clean burning it was approved for burning wood in smoke controlled areas, and the adjustable door handle and hinge ensure air tightness, unlike the cast (PIG ???) iron stoves, to ensure controlled burning ie fuel efficiency.

Read revies on www.whatstove.co.uk or

http://www.countydownstovesandflues.co.uk/vision-500.html

Just another one to think about, and in stock now. ;-}

Fiskar wrote: »
    Thought that website was a DIY outfit, no location or landline. Fit outs not to be recommended.
    Get a pro who knows what the regs are and the minimum height for the flue.

It always helps Fiskar....Insurance is worth buggar all if the stove doesn't comply...not much fun when the house is burnt down, or someone is overcome by Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    i guess that sums it up perfectly.

I have plans to remove the metal back plate and make a hole big enough to fit the stove into , thus the elimination of two 45 degree angles on the flu and bringing the harth clearance in to spec.

I am also trying to source the cheapest price on the specified flu linner.

Although I can do all the work myself it is still going to cost a small fortune.

until then I will be keeping a good eye as I always have on the lit stove.

Sooty. I apologize for my stern reaction to your criticism . I do understand you are only trying to give expert advise.
    now . could you sell me a half price liner please:D

Docherty Chimney Group liner...904 grade is £198 per m...less 60% trade discount is about £79 per m.....20 year warranty, with data plate etc. You will need an adapter to join liner to stove flue pipe and a pot hanger, both for less than £100 and then some vermiculite....shipping would be more, but you can collect and get a quick lesson on installation at the showroom before you leave, plus a good cup of coffee in front of a Clearview stove to see what you can save up for later on....simple

paddy147 wrote: »
    Excel Industries,Coolmine Ind Estate,Blanchardstown.

I got 10 meters of 6 inch wide twin wall stainless steel flexi flue liner from them,for feck all money.:D

But you might have got Feck all then....Split flex.JPG

rotten flue jpeg 1.jpg rotten flue jpeg.jpg

These images are 316 grade liner, bought from Northern Irish manufacturer, and was less than 3 years old....the customer complained when vermiculite was spilling INTO the stove.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

;)
    Docherty Chimney Group liner...904 grade is £198 per m...less 60% trade discount is about £79 per m.....20 year warranty, with data plate etc. You will need an adapter to join liner to stove flue pipe and a pot hanger, both for less than £100 and then some vermiculite....shipping would be more, but you can collect and get a quick lesson on installation at the showroom before you leave, plus a good cup of coffee in front of a Clearview stove to see what you can save up for later on....simple

Stainless twin walled 6 inch flexi liner works out at 70 EURO per meter from a well known supplier in Blanchardstown,Dublin 15.;)

I have a brand spanking new stainless steel pot hanger cowl here,complete with anti bird guard,that is of no use to me if anyone is interested.;)

;)

Stainless twin walled 6 inch flexi liner works out at 70 EURO per meter from a well known supplier in Blanchardstown,Dublin 15.;)

I have a brand spanking new stainless steel pot hanger cowl here,complete with anti bird guard,that is of no use to me if anyone is interested.;)

As long as it is 904 grade if you are using coal as well as wood/turf you should be fine. Triple locking is what makes Docherty Flue more expensive, but the reason we use it is simple. If you had been a chimney sweep for 20+ years like me, and found the inner skin of cheaper flue unravel during the sweeping process after a year or so, you would use it too. Not cheap but as with everything in life, you get what you pay for, and there is a reason why companies put a higher price tag on product.

;)

Your pot hanger is only going to be suitable if you are not going to bother putting the insulation around the flue, which is considered only half a job by the techinicans who understand flues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

im guessing that using a pot hanger instead on insulation would still cause condensation on the clay flu

Your pot hanger is only going to be suitable if you are not going to bother putting the insulation around the flue, which is considered only half a job by the techinicans who understand flues.

Eh mate,I dont have any use for that pot hanger and also mate............

My chimney/Stovax multi fuel inset stove is done propperly too.Propperly installed,lined,insulated and sealed by professional installers.

Just to point that out to you.;)

• Advertisement

gsxr1 wrote: »
    im guessing that using a pot hanger instead on insulation would still cause condensation on the clay flu

A pot hanger is only used if you are not going to use vermiculite around the flexi GSXR1. The inner locking band is designed to suspend the flue from the cap itself, while the outer locking band straps to the pot. If you are insulating the steel, the inner locking band is not required, as the insulation becomes a support for the flexi, as well as keeping flue temperatures stable, hence the reduced risk on condensates building up in the flue. The clay liners, once the flexi is used are redundant, and don't come into the equation, but merely act as a vessel to hold all this system together within the chimney.

Eh mate,I dont have any use for that pot hanger and also mate............

My chimney/Stovax multi fuel inset stove is done propperly too.Propperly installed,lined,insulated and sealed by professional installers.

Just to point that out to you.;)

I was merely pointing out to anyone intereted in your pot hanger, as to how it was used MATE. You seem to be confused into thinking I was criticising your installation, even though I have never seen it.

It seems to be a common trend here to shoot down the messenger. Perhaps I should not bother giving my advice freely to the Boards forum especially when companies actually pay me to give seminars up here in the North and my time could be better spent. The fact is, I feel very strongly that some of the information and materials etc available North and South of our border is either very good, acceptable or just plain crap, and trying to help people make an informed choice is why our showroom is bombarded with phone calls, emails and visitors from all over the island. We must be doing something right for a woman to come up from Cork recently, as one of her neighbours we supplied stoves to, told her we were the only company she would ever recommend because we spoke sense, and she loves her stoves.

I'm glad you got your stove installed correctly, and is hopefully working well and safely. Solid fuel installations should not be considered a simple DIY project, but with the correct information and materials it can be. All too often stoves and flue are being sold with limited or conflicting advice, and that is why I sit here typing...hoping I make a difference so that you don't become a statistic....mate.

I was merely pointing out to anyone intereted in your pot hanger, as to how it was used MATE. You seem to be confused into thinking I was criticising your installation, eve though I have never seen it.

It seems to be a common trend here to shoot down the messenger. Perhaps I should not bother giving my advice freely to the Boards forum especially when companies actually pay me to give seminars up here in the North and my time could be better spent. The fact is, I feel very strongly that some of the information and materials etc available North and South of our border is either very good, acceptable or just plain crap, and trying to help people make an informed choice is why our showroom is bombarded with phone calls, emails and visitors from all over the island. We must be doing something right for a woman to come up from Cork recently, as one of her neighbours we supplied stoves to, told her we were the only company she would ever recommend because we spoke sense, and she loves her stoves.

I'm glad you got your stove installed correctly, and is hopefully working well and safely. Solid fuel installations should not be considered a simple DIY project, but with the correct information and materials it can be. All too often stoves and flue are being sold with limited or conflicting advice, and that is why I sit here typing...hoping I make a difference so that you don't become a statistic....mate.

Did I say anything or mention anything about it being a DIY job??NO.

You say "Hopefully" my stove is working well??

No mate,no hopeing about it,it IS DONE professionaly by a very reputable fireplace company and Stovax Stove retailer,and working perfectly.

With regards your comments about you posting on the forum..............

Dont bother then,if you dont want to.Nobody is forcing you to post.
    But dont come on here lording it up every time though.

All your posts have to be better than everyone elses,like you are looking down your nose at us all.

Someone says something,and you have to knock them and have a better reply all the time.You knock other peoples products,and seem to only promote and praise stuff that you use/sell (ironic or what).Everything and everyone else is wrong and you are right.

I dont doubt that you know your stuff,other members know their stuff too,buts its the MANNER and TONE in the way you post the replies all the time,that all us mere mortals supposedly havent a clue what we are on about and only you knows everything.You belittle people alot of the time.

It comes accross on alot of threads you have posted on here.

Did I say anything or mention anything about it being a DIY job??NO.

You say "Hopefully" my stove is working well??

No mate,no hopeing about it,it IS DONE professionaly by a very reputable fireplace company and Stovax Stove retailer,and working perfectly.

With regards your comments about you posting on the forum..............

Dont bother then,if you dont want to.Nobody is forcing you to post.
    But dont come on here lording it up every time though.

All your posts have to be better than everyone elses,like you are looking down your nose at us all.

Someone says something,and you have to knock them and have a better reply all the time.You knock other peoples products,and seem to only promote and praise stuff that you use/sell (ironic or what).Everything and everyone else is wrong and you are right.

I dont doubt that you know your stuff,other members know their stuff too,buts its the MANNER and TONE in the way you post the replies all the time,that all us mere mortals supposedly havent a clue what we are on about and only you knows everything.You belittle people alot of the time.

It comes accross on alot of threads you have posted on here.

I didn't say anything about your job being DIY at any stage from what I can gather, so I would question where that one came out of. I did point out that some info coming from forums and some retailers would suggest that it can be a "SIMPLE" do it yourself project, which could be dangerous. Each job is different. I did say I was glad you had yours installed correctly. The "hopefully" part was meant to confirm that if a reputable company has installed it the way it should have been done, the way professionals would lead you to believe it should, that the stove is performing well. Thank you for confirming to us all that this is the case.

I am on record within Boards to state there are many other good stoves on the market and indeed flex liner is fine as long as it is of the correct grade for the fuel you choose to burn, the correct diameter and is constructed correctly when being produced. I have been bitten by some that were not perhaps as good a quality as I was led to believe, so I did my homework and learnt about what I needed to look out for, and am just letting you all know what I found.

Your Stovax is a good make of stove, and in fact one of my stoves at home is a Stovax Riva 55. It works very well, and apart from the glass not staying as clean as I would like, I would not be taking it out unnecesarily...it was too bloody expensive. Other good stoves would be Charnwood, Villager, Yeoman, Morso, Jotul to name but a few along with the Clearview stoves we sell...where is the problem? Some people swear by their Stanley stove, and that is OK too. (gsxr1 ;-} ) I have sold, and fitted all sorts, over the years, and the better ones always seem to keep their heads and shoulders above the rest.

I would never look down my nose at anyone, and anyone that has dealt with us over the forums or in the showroom would know that. I have tried to be helpful and explain things as well as I can in a language everyone can understand. Perhaps reading text on a screen does not portray the subtle expressions you would pick up by listening to voice or seeing facial expression.

I don't deny that I have spent years learning my trade, and often get a little heated under the collar when I think advice is not as accurate as it should be, but I am not going to apologise for that. If I had a pound or Euro for everyone who has told me they have found my posts helpful and informative I would be doing nicely, but that is why forums are run, to help each other out.

I can't see where I have belittled you at all today Paddy. I did say that the pot hanger you were trying to get rid of was only going to be able to be used if someone was not going to insulate the flue, if that is what you mean. Also the fact that you got something for "Feck All Money" was suggesting that it was a good deal for you...again hopefully for you it was, but for many it hasn't, so I was just posting images of others that have been less fortunate when their good deal turned sour.

My posts are better than others???? I don't know why. It is just conversation and people offering suggestions and recommendations to each other. I do find amusement in some posts, as I am sure we all do at times, and maybe one fault I have is I type quicker than I think, but it's only opinion coming out, and is not meant to offend ANYONE...and if that is what you feel I have done, then I am sorry for that, and to anyone else that feels this way, but I'm not going to apologise for giving the advice I give if it is in the interests of safety.

Manner and tone are something that can be misinterpreted when reading text on a screen. I'm sure everyone has read a facebook message or text message and it has been taken completely out of context. I am hoping that is the case here. Sarcasm, and tongue in cheek statements are dangerous when a keyboard is the only way of communicating on forums, and I suppose lessons need to be learnt.

Best regards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Fiskar wrote: »
    Thought that website was a DIY outfit, no location or landline.

Its not. His location is Templemore, Co. Tipperary. His mobile number is there because he's the one you talk to. Does "Our site is currently under construction. Thank your for your patience." mean nothing?
    Fit outs not to be recommended.
    No idea what you mean by this.
    Get a pro who knows what the regs are
    He's put himself through HETAS training
    and the minimum height for the flue.
    If you can tell what height the flue is from the thumbnail photos on his site, you should be getting big money from someone for doing it. Reminds me of a guy I used to work with who reckoned he could tell if a machine was misaligned by thousandths of an inch over maybe 20 feet. Never did see the calibration certificate for his eyes...

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Its not. His location is Templemore, Co. Tipperary. His mobile number is there because he's the one you talk to. Does "Our site is currently under construction. Thank your for your patience." mean nothing?

No idea what you mean by this.

He's put himself through HETAS training

If you can tell what height the flue is from the thumbnail photos on his site, you should be getting big money from someone for doing it. Reminds me of a guy I used to work with who reckoned he could tell if a machine was misaligned by thousandths of an inch over maybe 20 feet. Never did see the calibration certificate for his eyes...

Dilbert perhaps you could give me some advice. I have wanted to know for a long time how to post comments at different positions within a post to reply to different points. I would be indebted if you could tell me please.

I must admit I did find some points about breakouts, height etc a problem as I had not seen any reference to that on the site, but there were a few fundamental problems with it, and even my wife picked up on the 90 degree bend on the logo as soon as she saw it.

Cheers

I'm sure you'll be the first to admit that it doesn't really matter if the website is top class as long as the product/service is - a good example would be www.clearviewstoves.com.

If an installation drawing showed that, I'd be worried. What's on his logo doesn't bother me hugely. Actually looks like an attempt might have been made to make the logo into an S and/or an F for Stove Fit.... Probably paid a graphic designer quite a few quid to do it too...

To place text in individual quotes, just paste it between
    and
    (removing the spaces).

I'm sure you'll be the first to admit that it doesn't really matter if the website is top class as long as the product/service is - a good example would be www.clearviewstoves.com.
    Quite right. I know that Helen and Jonathan have had a new site produced as well as a new brochure, but I believe they are working on a new model for the range and will launch everything at the same time as the stove, but I hear what you are saying. I believe that because Jonathan takes care of everything himself and perhaps doesn't delegate as well as he should, the site and marketing may have taken a back seat, but he has an excellent product that has sold all over the world for nearly 30 years, so something is working.
    If an installation drawing showed that, I'd be worried. What's on his logo doesn't bother me hugely. Actually looks like an attempt might have been made to make the logo into an S and/or an F for Stove Fit.... Probably paid a graphic designer quite a few quid to do it too...
    There may be a case for the stove and flue to look like a letter, and if it is anything like the graphic designer we had working for us, it would have cost a few quid, but they design to your spec, taking your advice before they put pen to paper or mouse to tablet I suppose it is now.

I have worked out what components would have been used for the twin wall and also the manufacturer of the flue from the project pictures, but the boru stove he has used looks like the Carraig Beag which is an 8KW stove, seems rather close to the skirting board for my liking. The flue would also have to have a horizontal flue running quite a distance through the wall, certainly more than the HETAS agreed distance of 150mm, unless he has used a 45 degree immediately off the stove and into a 45 degree "t" and plug on the external with a base support system to bear the weight of the flue. It would be nice to see how it had been done out of curiosity.
    To place text in individual quotes, just paste it between
    and
    (removing the spaces).[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the advice on how to post. This is the first time I have tried so if it goes belly up, please excuse the way this has posted

If you edit that to remove the spaces between the word "quote" and the closed square brackets, it should look a wee bit better...
    is the instruction to open a quote and
    is the instruction to close the quote (removing the spaces). So to quote, your text would look like
    saying I quite like Clearview stoves is like saying Ireland is quite broke
    (without the spaces) ends up as

If you edit that to remove the spaces between the word "quote" and the closed square brackets, it should look a wee bit better...
    is the instruction to open a quote and
    is the instruction to close the quote (removing the spaces). So to quote, your text would look like
    and I guess this is where you want the E100 off the cost of your inset as a gesture of goodwill for showing me how to do this quoting business ;-}
    (without the spaces) ends up as
    Thank you

• Advertisement

Really is time for home. The office is cold, stoves have gone out a long time ago and it is 11.30pm and dinner time has been and gone again.

and I guess this is where you want the E100 off the cost of your inset as a gesture of goodwill for showing me how to do this quoting business
    We all learn a bit from each other - that's what Boards is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

;)Stainless twin walled 6 inch flexi liner works out at 70 EURO per meter from a well known supplier in Blanchardstown,Dublin 15.;)
    I bought 1.5 meters of it yesterday for €50 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

hi,

very informative thread here.

We're planing on putting a stove into an existing fireplace. I've got a quote that I'm happy with, but from reading a bit of this thread I'm not sure if the suggested stove is going to work.

Basically, as said above, the stove was going to sit a couple of inches into the existing fireplace, but most of the stove would be out of the fireplace sitting on the hearth. The bit that's concerning me is that our fireplace is 515mm wide and the stove is 450mm wide, leaving only 33mm space to each side. By the sounds of it, this is not ideal even if it's only a couple of inches into the fireplace? The fitter did mention the fact that we would need to be very careful when opening the door of the stove not to let anything fall out on to the floor.

Anyhow, the stove is an 8KW Bilberry - maybe we should reconsider?

Fireplace as is with tape demonstrating the approx footprint of stove

any advice appreciated

fp-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

British manufactured Clearview Vision 500. 8KW with optional external air system, double glazed so the glass remains clear all the time, not just for brochure photos. One of the most efficient stoves in the world, the first in the world so clean burning it was approved for burning wood in smoke controlled areas, and the adjustable door handle and hinge ensure air tightness, unlike the cast (PIG ???) iron stoves, to ensure controlled burning ie fuel efficiency.

Read revies on www.whatstove.co.uk or

http://www.countydownstovesandflues.co.uk/vision-500.html

Just another one to think about, and in stock now. ;-}

Thanks for the reply, it is a nice stove, but if only you had replied sooner...;)

I went with the Nestor Martin S23 in the end, the more expensive end of the scale but you get what you pay for afterall.

Very simular spec to the 500 though !

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭TTTT

hello, I'm about to get 2 stoves for the house and was looking at the Olymberyl Gabriel and Baby Gabriel. just wondering if anybody has any experience of them or Horseflame. also as they're going in to a 100 year old brick chimney (which will be lined) is it still necessary/possible to backfill with insulation as I'm guessing that this would be very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭mazza

Just wondering if anyone has a Firewarm stove (http://www.firewarm.ie) and anything good or bad to say about them?

I've only found one or two user reviews on the web - which were ok - but that's it.

We're thinking of getting the 6kw model mentioned in their brochure here: http://www.firewarm.ie/pdf/brochure09.pdf

Our plumber and some other opinions I've read, seem to say that basically a stove-is-a-stove-is-a-stove, some look a bit fancier, some are a bit more efficient etc, so just to go for something basic and pretty cheap.

Thanks in advance!

Mazza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

54,223 views 508 replies

By a mile the most popular thread in DIY.

Can I get a box of Quality Streets now?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

webels wrote: »
    yabadabado, I have just realised i went with the TR5 sorry. I just measured mine, cant think why it was the TR3. I bought mine from a crowd in Monaghan, not sure if I should post the info here. Info sent by PM. Much cheaper than buying near dublin and as I said already it can be collected in Dublin from the stove suppliers. It is not the cheapest stove but contact the crowd in Monaghan and they will give you a price. I got a guy to do it for me. The flexiliner is quite expensive but definitely good. I tried a reducer initially but never got a good fit or seal. I found cleaning with the flexiliner no bother just remove the plate at the back of the stove and clean from the top down. Suck out the soot then.

If I did go for the TR3 I would have had >300mm gap to floor, but I guessed i might need 5KW output..

Hi Webels, How is your TR5 working out, ie fuel consumption, heat output, controls and general use. Just got a quote today for same, 500 bucks.
    I'll welcome any feedback from anyone who has a TR5 or a Dovre 250MF or an Arrow Ecoburn 5 or 7.
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭webels

nophd08 wrote: »
    Hi Webels, How is your TR5 working out, ie fuel consumption, heat output, controls and general use. Just got a quote today for same, 500 bucks.
    I'll welcome any feedback from anyone who has a TR5 or a Dovre 250MF or an Arrow Ecoburn 5 or 7.
    Thanks in advance.
    That is a great price, it is a super little stove. Have the stove now 3 winters I think..
    Fuel consumption is great (a miserly little stove). Have to keep your blocks small. On cold nights as we have got these last couple of winters, I mix a little coal in, would use a bag a month in the coldest months, but mostly timber.
    Controls are very simple just two circular air intakes on the front. I control burn rate using these and the top right control, sliding it half way or fully to the left.
    Cleaning the chimney every summer is simple enough if you are not afraid of heights-close the door in front no mess whatsoever. Touch it up yearly with black matt stove paint, it looks as good as new.
    Clean the glass before lighting with a wet rag mixed in ash.
    Has certainly cut my gas bills these last 2 winters.
    Would recommend for sure.
    Best of luck with your choice.

Advertisement