Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals, Plants and the Weather, Natures Signs :MOD note 121

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I don't usually have much time for this animals and the weather stuff but the birds are attacking the bird feeders now like a plague of locusts ! :eek:
    I better fill 'em again - can't have my feathered friends going hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Redsunset wrote: »
    The opposite has happened here. Was a frenzy yesterday morning. Fatballs snd nuts devoured. Netting with some left even carried away.
    Wierd. will see how it is when i get home this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

fatballs still there. hope my birdies don't mean to say no snow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Ive had no birds today,usually have all sorts.
    Somthing isnt right.
    Reckon their gone to warm up the nests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Hi all,

An observation I thought I would share with you. Maybe coincidence but I think not.

I work in Dublin airport and start my shift at 0430 the last 2 days. On wed eve going to bed it was 17c at 2200 and 14c at 0415 on my way to work. I have a short drive on a back road around the airport.

Last night it was 11c at 10pm and 5c at 0415 this morning and I passed 5 fresh road kills. (1 hedgehog, 3 rabbits and 1 unknown)

My immediate reaction was that the cold had played a part in their demise.

Anyone have an opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

About 30 little birds came into my back garden looking for food last weekend. Unusual for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Hi all,

An observation I thought I would share with you. Maybe coincidence but I think not.

I work in Dublin airport and start my shift at 0430 the last 2 days. On wed eve going to bed it was 17c at 2200 and 14c at 0415 on my way to work. I have a short drive on a back road around the airport.

Last night it was 11c at 10pm and 5c at 0415 this morning and I passed 5 fresh road kills. (1 hedgehog, 3 rabbits and 1 unknown)

My immediate reaction was that the cold had played a part in their demise.

Anyone have an opinion?
    maybe they were knocked down by cars/lorries and maybe just a coincidence. Doubt its to do with the cold. These animals survive at very low temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

maybe they were knocked down by cars/lorries and maybe just a coincidence. Doubt its to do with the cold. These animals survive at very low temperature

I appreciate that but I suppose my point is more about a sharp change in temperature and could it catch them out and make them a bit dopey?

Maybe it was just coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I'd usually have loads of monster spiders in visiting me by this time of the year but not much doing?? Is it the unusually mild weather or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Joe Public wrote: »
    I'd usually have loads of monster spiders in visiting me by this time of the year but not much doing?? Is it the unusually mild weather or what?

I have them running around the house currently. The cats make short work of them sadly. I try and save as many as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭flutered

the blackthorn has started to flower, traditionally this leads to hard and mostly dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The blackthorn would appear to be in line with the forecast. A bit of drying out all round would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭flutered

i posted some time ago about the blackthorn flowering and the weather associated with it, so this takes things a little faurther, when the blackthorn has finished flowering, traditionally we get a period of softer weather, this is usually an 8-14 day span, then the whitethorn begins to flower, with this we traditionally have a return to the hard weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Well, don't know if this thread is replicated elsewhere. The point of the tread is to either discuss or simply document observations of nature and see if they are anyways related to the upcoming weather season.

I have a few apple trees. I've gathered most of them at this stage but this in itself was prompted by flocks of starlings on the tree every day recently- I've never considered harvesting apples in August before. The blackbirds and thrushes are down every morning early, devouring the windfalls.
    Just wondering is this a sign of a harsh winter ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I have several books on weather lore, it's always interesting and fun to read.

In general though I think that nature signs like this are more of a reaction to current/recent weather conditions rather than any kind of indicator of what the weather will be like in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Animals react to weather changes , they dont forecast them ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I watch the spring mostly, long, lazy springs usually indicate a pleasant year ahead for flora and fauna.

Animals can be a good indication but not always, I used to know that bad weather was imminent as the local school's playground would be full of sea birds. We've had near hurricane force storms recently and hardly a sea bird in sight. So I ponder.

Some believe animals have a sixth sense, and I'd take that seriously, however, there are many animals who seem to be dumb and suffer at the weather instead of reacting to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

we have had the biggest ever amount of holly berries this autumn.

It brought this piece from 4 years ago to mind - and we all know what happened through the following month !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8135035/Holly-berries-suggest-harsh-winter-on-the-way.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

jacko1 wrote: »
    we have had the biggest ever amount of holly berries this autumn.

It brought this piece from 4 years ago to mind - and we all know what happened through the following month !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8135035/Holly-berries-suggest-harsh-winter-on-the-way.html

The blackberry crop also was phenomenal... but few rowan berries..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The number of Berries on bushes and trees are a result of the weather that has gone not what may come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Is it possible that weather gone by may be an indicator to future weather?
    Villain wrote: »
    The number of Berries on bushes and trees are a result of the weather that has gone not what may come!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

kkontour wrote: »
    Is it possible that weather gone by may be an indicator to future weather?

Impossible to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Wild animals in nature is a sign of weather gone by.

Bumper vine crops are usually after a cold winter, cold winter kills of disease and fungus allowing the vines to grow bigger during spring.

If evolution is your persuasion, then Humans should also have this ability, it's an ability that one would not drop through evolution.

I do believe that some animals understand the affect of weather, ie African plains animals following the rains.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Villain wrote: »

There is more in this than that petty logic. Mystery and mystique beyond mere science

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I not sure there is mystery in it.

Animals react to weather and don't predict it. Animals maybe able to detect pressure drops. But how would the animal know if the high/low is N/S/E/W of the island. H pressure to the north bring different weather to H pressure in the south.

Mystique. Not sure what to say on this as it's more faith that fact.

The flight of some birds during hurricanes is amazing, how animals interact with weather is amazing. But I'm not sure they predict the weather, more so they adapted to live with the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

There's been a fantastic crop of various berries on most trees near me over the last four years.

I've been keeping an eye on them since the big freeze of 2010, and unfortunately it doesn't seem to predict what's to come, as we've had relatively warm winters since.

Just means the growing season was good and they thrived, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

My semi-feral cat meowling at the back door for food is always a sign of cold weather coming. She is usually quite self sufficient, but for the past 3-4 days she's been there like a bad smell. Of course I feed her, I have her food here waiting, but she's not around every day, so when I see her like this, looking for food a couple of days in a row, I know, cold is on the way (and it arrived last night).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

weisses wrote: »

Very interesting, thanks for posting. I was waiting to hear if they came back after the storms had passed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Oh, it's going to be a harsh winter - Never seen so much fruit on the trees.

Advertisement