Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animals, Plants and the Weather, Natures Signs :MOD note 121

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The SW frog link doesn't work for me, it sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Joe Public wrote: »
    The SW frog link doesn't work for me, it sounds interesting.
    Try this
    http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v102/n5/full/hdy2008133a.html

That works fine - it also mentions the Kerry Slug that's only found in Kerry and Cork and has the power to stop roads so between the lot of them they could easily extend their powers and keep the ice and snow at bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

I walked out of my house earlier and bumped into a dog that lives just down the street.
    Normally we wouldn't pay each other much heed, but today he stopped and looked at me for what seemed like the longest time.

Somehow the animals always know first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Our Husky is bouncing off the walls full of excitement and energy for some reason. Not often seen in the morning hours. Hmmmmmm :p

Husky not impressed with 06Z GFS!

husky-on-a-computer.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Pangea wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry about the frogs in Cork, sure they survived the Ice age! :D

Cork and the South Western tips of Ireland, never in fact had an Ice Age, it came very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Husky not impressed with 06Z GFS!

husky-on-a-computer.jpg

Wow IanCar really has that dog trained well :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Our Husky is bouncing off the walls full of excitement and energy for some reason. Not often seen in the morning hours. Hmmmmmm :p
    They just get frisky in cold clear weather, likewise, they get lethargic in warm, sticky, or humid weather.
    That's what how any dogs of mine respond to weather anyhoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

slowburner wrote: »
    They just get frisky in cold clear weather, likewise, they get lethargic in warm, sticky, or humid weather.
    That's what how any dogs of mine respond to weather anyhoo.

Same here. My 4 are like Pongo's the past few days, nothing will wear them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

Hi All,

I live nearby a field that has a "corner" in each of the Counties of Meath, Monaghan and Cavan! My location is very North Meath/Cavan. This morning fog was SERIOUS also this evening!

Quite a few people have said to me yesterday and today that the birds are acting in a frantic fashion and I've noticed it myself today at work on the tree feeder - little birds VERY busy!!!

Michael Gallagher was just on radio, he said plenty of snow on the way. That the frogspawn, early growth and what not was far too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

It will be interesting too see if michael will be right this time.
    He was wrong with his christmas forecast.

Interesting the way snow gets mentioned on weather forums and then micheal puts in a call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Bejubby wrote: »
    Interesting the way snow gets mentioned on weather forums and then micheal puts in a call

Hasn't gone unnoticed. Hasn't gone unnoticed at all.

I'd still give Michael Gallagher my vote, he saw the signs a few months back and stuck by his call. His timing might be out a bit but he called it as nature indicated to him and now it's looking like the cold spell is beginning to set in.
    Maybe the charts will take an even colder swing from Wednesday and all will be forgiven.

Have to wait and see.
    He said plenty of snow so he better be right.
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Birds are going mad for nuts and apples today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Birds are going mad for nuts and apples today.

Yep - crows gathering in MASSIVE flocks today...must be stocking up - also big flocks of seagulls appearing around here this evening - 70 miles from the coast...

They're in preparation mode alright!

I saw a flock of wild geese in V formation heading east today and said to myself - that's the wrong direction if cold is coming - maybe they turned south a few minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

I saw a flock of wild geese in V formation heading east today and said to myself - that's the wrong direction if cold is coming - maybe they turned south a few minutes later.

Noticed large flocks of plover heading south yesterday, Good thread this.

• Advertisement

Neddyusa wrote: »

Yep - crows gathering in MASSIVE flocks today...must be stocking up - also big flocks of seagulls appearing around here this evening - 70 miles from the coast...

They're in preparation mode alright!

Noticed that myself too loads of crows flying around in flocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

There's a nice video of the much-talked about Cattle Egret in Donegal here... https://www.facebook.com/hamiltonsfarm

Seems to enjoy the attention of the pigs around it... at least for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Crows do flock, warm or cold, and roost together too....roosting is mostly seen in Autumn and Winter and particularly at this time of the year so I wouldn't see it as unusual. Just before dusk you'll see big numbers moving together and from some distance making for a popular roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Mr Bumble wrote: »
    Crows do flock, warm or cold, and roost together too....roosting is mostly seen in Autumn and Winter and particularly at this time of the year so I wouldn't see it as unusual. Just before dusk you'll see big numbers moving together and from some distance making for a popular roost.

Wat about magpies? Never seen them flock but lots of them over the last week gathering which I find strange - though I don't follow the way of birds. Also seagulls - the have been grouping around here in the last 2/3 weeks, which is 3 miles from the coast and we usually only see them when a storm is coming

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

My mother always said when the cat sits with his back to the fire,snow is on its way. My cat usually lies down but tonight he sat with his back to the fire all night. Just saying.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Guys put some nibbles out for the birds today looks like the weather is about to change. (hopefully):eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Guys put some nibbles out for the birds today looks like the weather is about to change. (hopefully):eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Nibbles! You'd need a conveyor belt in my garden at the rate their going though the food. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Saw a flock yesterday too unusual

Had a few gold finches in the garden today.
    There was only one for the past few weeks but I have 4 there now.

• Advertisement

Michael Gallagher is said to have noticed animals acting strangely today in the Bluestacks
    1d3RGl.jpg

Advertisement