Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Federations Economy after the Dominion War

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Pter wrote: »
    So....basically, the economy is booming from ship building and the retrofitting of Galaxy class ships?

What to do with all those ships and officers sitting around at a loose end?

What about Intrepid vs Galaxy vs Defiant when an incompetent Captain has marooned you in the Delta Quadrant?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

What to do with all those ships and officers sitting around at a loose end?

Get back to explorin' stuff.

Also, refocusing on making sure people don't warp too fast.

'Star Trek: Traffic Corps'

What about Intrepid vs Galaxy vs Defiant when an incompetent Captain has marooned you in the Delta Quadrant?

That one is easy. Q wins.

That one is easy. Q wins.

The Q from TNG or the one fron VOY??

• Advertisement

The Q from TNG or the one fron VOY??

HAHAHA the DS9 one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Here's an interesting one, a Sovereign class versus a Prometheus class...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just watching the enterprise scare off 3 Galor class ships in the beginning of DS9, how many does the defiant whoop when Tom Riker takes her on a joyride?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Myrddin wrote: »

Hard to know tbh..

Take a galaxy in the delta quadrant.

Ooooooh tough one.

It's the firepower vs. defensive tech argument again.

• Advertisement

Don't really know enough about either of them.

Ooooooh tough one.

It's the firepower vs. defensive tech argument again.

For me it's the fact the sovereign needs to fight 3 targets and the fact it's shields are taking punishment from all over, can't just do a roll over and keep the ventral shields towards the target

For me it's the fact the sovereign needs to fight 3 targets and the fact it's shields are taking punishment from all over, can't just do a roll over and keep the ventral shields towards the target

Ah sure they can just throw the Captains yacht out as a decoy....

EDIT: Having said that - 16 phaser banks and 9 photon tubes and 1 quantum tube vs (and this is an esimate based on each section having 1 of each) 3 phaser banks, 3 tubes and 1 quantum tube.....?

Tbh the could be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

I do like that a thread about Federation economics has turned into a "Who'd win" thread.

The Ferengi were right about us!

Ah sure they can just throw the Captains yacht out as a decoy....

EDIT: Having said that - 16 phaser banks and 9 photon tubes and 1 quantum tube vs (and this is an esimate based on each section having 1 of each) 3 phaser banks, 3 tubes and 1 quantum tube.....?
    Might go re watch the episode but I doubt it's that we'll armed in each section

I do remember each section having a phaser bank each - not sure about the rest. If it has less than 3 + 3 + 1, i would go with the Sovereign all day.

And of course, building Sovereigns would only serve to aid the war recovery.

Don't really know enough about either of them.

That's true, we have limited info to go on. What we do know:

Sovereign - Quantum torpedoes, ablative armour, for a time was the most advanced ship in the fleet.
    Promethus - MVAM mode, ablative armour, no quantum torpedoes, the most advanced ship design to date in canon.

I think the MVAM would play a crucial role all right, however, relying on photons seems a crazy omission by the designers. You'd have to image the ship is equipped for quantums

Might go re watch the episode but I doubt it's that we'll armed in each section

She is well armed, it made mince meat of at least one D'deridex class warbird

Sovereign - Quantum torpedoes, ablative armour, for a time was the most advanced ship in the fleet.
    Promethus - MVAM mode, ablative armour, no quantum torpedoes, the most advanced ship design to date in canon.

I am also taking power generation into consideration; as a much bigger ship, i am giving the Sovereign the benefit of much higher tolerance of shielding, whereas the Prometheus class would have much better regen for its sheilds.

Also, number of phaser banks to be taken into account.

• Advertisement

I think the MVAM would play a crucial role all right, however, relying on photons seems a crazy omission by the designers. You'd have to image the ship is equipped for quantums

They could be going for a 2 photons > 1 quantum and if there's 3 sections firing photons it'll get the job done

One thing to consider is how good will the shield generators be on smaller areas

She is well armed, it made mince meat of at least one D'deridex class warbird

Think that was due to the element of surprise? Could be wrong on that, but don't think the Romulans had shields up at the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just watching the enterprise scare off 3 Galor class ships in the beginning of DS9, how many does the defiant whoop when Tom Riker takes her on a joyride?

Do we ever see the Defiant take on a Galor class? Seem to remember it fighting some Keldon (Keldor?) classes, which are smaller from what i remember. Nope, they were more advanced than the Galor apparently, so i guess the Defiant wouldn't have any issue with a single Galor class.

I'd go with the Sovereign class here. Yeah, the Prometheus was pretty powerful, and having three vessels will always help, neither of the three would be anywhere near as powerful as a Sovereign. Maybe all you need to do it destroy the primary ship of the three parts, to bring it down? The Sovereign seemed like it was built as the top of the line ship, and would have all the bells and whistles a Starship could want. And it stood up pretty well against the Scimitar, which was as powerful a ship as we've ever seen (bar the Borg and some other rare examples i suppose).

We don't know a lot about it to be honest though, so most of this is just guess work (and from what i've seen of it in games).

I am also taking power generation into consideration; as a much bigger ship, i am giving the Sovereign the benefit of much higher tolerance of shielding, whereas the Prometheus class would have much better regen for its sheilds.

Also, number of phaser banks to be taken into account.

Actually I think the Prometheus had regenerative shielding didn't it? Though again, given how closely the two classes are in age, it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine the Sovvie having the same.
    They could be going for a 2 photons > 1 quantum and if there's 3 sections firing photons it'll get the job done

I'm not well up on the yield, but I think a quantum is equivalent to more than two photons? They're certainly depicted as such on screen anyway. You could be right though, if you've got three independent sections all firing barrages of photons, you'd imagine she'd get the job done quick enough :)
    One thing to consider is how good will the shield generators be on smaller areas

Indeed. I reckon the Promie has the better shielding of the two

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd go with the Sovereign class here. Yeah, the Prometheus was pretty powerful, and having three vessels will always help, neither of the three would be anywhere near as powerful as a Sovereign. Maybe all you need to do it destroy the primary ship of the three parts, to bring it down? The Sovereign seemed like it was built as the top of the line ship, and would have all the bells and whistles a Starship could want. And it stood up pretty well against the Scimitar, which was as powerful a ship as we've ever seen (bar the Borg and some other rare examples i suppose).

The 3 sections can operate as 3 separate ships - and can each be piloted in warp individually.

I would also think that you could never capture a Prometheus class, only destroy it. As soon as anyone boarded, you could flood the deck with Holograms with no safeties on. Just thought of that - that would be pretty cool.

If i had to pick a ship to captain, i'd probably go with a Prometheus - i'd just fly away from any angry looking Sovereigns - the Prometheus was officially the fastest ship in the fleet by the end of Voyager - beating the Sovereign by .005

Kiith wrote: »
    Do we ever see the Defiant take on a Galor class? Seem to remember it fighting some Keldon (Keldor?) classes, which are smaller from what i remember. Nope, they were more advanced than the Galor apparently, so i guess the Defiant wouldn't have any issue with a single Galor class.

The Keldon class is similar to the Galor, but bigger with some added on sections I think. The Defiant was never really troubled by any Cardassian ships from memory.
    The Sovereign seemed like it was built as the top of the line ship, and would have all the bells and whistles a Starship could want.

The Prometheus was built later than the Sovvie, & was from memory built for 'long range tactical operations', so in other words, a warship. Like you say, we really don't know enough about either ship...but the speed the Prometheus disabled a Romulan Warbird was mighty impressive.

BTW, i am not pulling this out of the air.

These stats i'm quoting are coming from the below links.

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Sovereign_class

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Prometheus_class

This is going to answer our questions..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJNXwKbxO_I

This is going to answer our questions..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJNXwKbxO_I

Bring back Star Trek Armada :)

• Advertisement

I have the first one but getting a copy of the 2nd I'd mega money. I threw my own copy out by mistake :(

Advertisement