Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Federations Economy after the Dominion War

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

one would assume theres a patch or 2 not covered.. or just blow out one of the nacelles

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Or, if it's the same situation and the BoP have access to internal configurations, they take advantage of another config apart from shields....maybe to dampen the effect of the pulse phasers or some such.....

Plus don't overlook that it wasn't brawn that led to the destruction of the Defiant during the Second Battle of Chin'toka - it was a Breen energy blast - i'm pretty sure Data could whack up such an energy blast on the fly from the main deflector, if he was so inclined. Disabled Defiant + Galaxy phaser and torpedo barrage = no more defiant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

One of the problems with the Galaxy vs the Defiant, is most of our exposure to the Galaxy was during TNG. They never really showed it do anything other than sit there and fire a few torpedos. In Best of Both Worlds it really opened up a few times and showed it's potential firepower, but there was never fleet battles like we saw in DS9. The few times it's shown in DS9, it's a pretty serious powerhouse. A Galaxy takes out a Galor class ship with a few phaser hits in Sacrifice of Angels. That's where i see the Galaxy doing well. 360 degree arc with really powerful phasers.

The other issue is TNG and DS9 had very different versions of shields. We never saw the bubble shields we saw in TNG during DS9 battles, and it often seemed like there were no shields at all. Loads of times in DS9 the first shot hits the ships hull.

I still say a Galaxy with similar tech level weapons will take out a Defiant class any day of the week. And a Sovereign would take out both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

one would assume theres a patch or 2 not covered.. or just blow out one of the nacelles

On the Defiant? No chance, she's a warship.
    Pter wrote: »
    Disabled Defiant + Galaxy phaser and torpedo barrage = no more defiant.

Works the other way too, disabled Galaxy + pulse phasers & a quantum torpedo = no more Galaxy. The Breen weapon affected every Starfleet ship it was used on, in fact, it worked on every ship it was used on full stop. It took a quirky repair on an old BoP to lead to a defence against it...I guess the writers needed to turn the tides of war once more, & make the Breen look importance in the show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Myrddin wrote: »
    On the Defiant? No chance, she's a warship.

at least 4 weak points.. all the nacelles are uncovered (front and back) also when the Defiant is evacuated, the escape pods arent under armour they come straight out, now the pods could be armoured but probably unlikely

• Advertisement

Works the other way too, disabled Galaxy + pulse phasers & a quantum torpedo = no more Galaxy. The Breen weapon affected every Starfleet ship it was used on, in fact, it worked on every ship it was used on full stop. It took a quirky repair on an old BoP to lead to a defence against it...I guess the writers needed to turn the tides of war once more, & make the Breen look importance in the show.

Oh no doubt it works both ways, i am just pointing out that we shouldn't point to the destruction of the Enterprise by cloak and dagger methods without doing the same for the Defiant. If we are to quote a BoP taking out a Galaxy, we should take into account that there is context there which, if removed, means the BoP wouldn't stand a chance.

Since the Breen weren't disabled, i would posit that if Data rigged the energy blast, he would do so in a way that wouldn't affect his own ship.

at least 4 weak points.. all the nacelles are uncovered (front and back) also when the Defiant is evacuated, the escape pods arent under armour they come straight out, now the pods could be armoured but probably unlikely

The nacelles are almost completely covered, there's two points that you mention but a Defiant class ship in battle mode isn't going to be standing still to allow pin point accuracy of a phaser burst, or torpedo. In the years we've seen the Defiant in action, not once was another ship able to exploit these little gaps. I would think those escape pods are covered on one side with ablative armour, to line up with the armour on the hull...I don't think such an obvious flaw would have gotten past the whiteboard stage...& they'd be risking the loss of an entire ship for the sake of a small surface area of armour otherwise.
    Oh no doubt it works both ways, i am just pointing out that we shouldn't point to the destruction of the Enterprise by cloak and dagger methods without doing the same for the Defiant. If we are to quote a BoP taking out a Galaxy, we should take into account that there is context there which, if removed, means the BoP wouldn't stand a chance.

Indeed, I don't think anyone is making the point that a BoP would have destroyed the Enterprise in an every day situation - what is being said though, is that without its shields, it didn't seem to last more than what, five or six hits? Contrasting this to the Defiant, which took an absolute pummelling with no shields on several occasions, it would seem that if a Defiant class ship was able to weaken the shields of a Galaxy class ship, that Galaxy is in serious trouble. One would think, that with quantum torpedoes, weakening the shields of a Galaxy class ship wouldn't be out of reach of the Defiant (and again, we're talking stock Galaxy here...not something brought up to speed like the Lakota).
    Since the Breen weren't disabled, i would posit that if Data rigged the energy blast, he would do so in a way that wouldn't affect his own ship.

I don't know, personally I prefer to stay within the realms of canon for these things because you could speculate to high heaven about what wonder weapons Data or 7 could design in an instant :o

The nacelles are almost completely covered, there's two points that you mention but a Defiant class ship in battle mode isn't going to be standing still to allow pin point accuracy of a phaser burst, or torpedo. In the years we've seen the Defiant in action, not once was another ship able to exploit these little gaps. I would think those escape pods are covered on one side with ablative armour, to line up with the armour on the hull...I don't think such an obvious flaw would have gotten past the whiteboard stage...& they'd be risking the loss of an entire ship for the sake of a small surface area of armour otherwise.

Indeed, I don't think anyone is making the point that a BoP would have destroyed the Enterprise in an every day situation - what is being said though, is that without its shields, it didn't seem to last more than what, five or six hits? Contrasting this to the Defiant, which took an absolute pummelling with no shields on several occasions, it would seem that if a Defiant class ship was able to weaken the shields of a Galaxy class ship, that Galaxy is in serious trouble. One would think, that with quantum torpedoes, weakening the shields of a Galaxy class ship wouldn't be out of reach of the Defiant (and again, we're talking stock Galaxy here...not something brought up to speed like the Lakota).

I don't know, personally I prefer to stay within the realms of canon for these things because you could speculate to high heaven about what wonder weapons Data or 7 could design in an instant :o

Yeah but we gotta speculate or end up with Voyager being invincible, given it goes up against the Borg how often?

No problem with that reasoning. The Galaxy relies upon its shields, the Defiant relies on its armour. The point i am trying to make (apologies if i muddle it) is that said massive failure of shields (with little or no return fire or evasive action) was an extremely rare occurance, so while the Galaxy would have a hard time without shields, i don't think the Defiant would get those shields down as cleanly or easily, even with quantums, as the BoP did with trickery - certainly not without retaliation that would indeed do damage to the Defiant.

I just think the multiple phaser banks and multiple torpedo tubes of the Galaxy will get the job done. The Defiant would do damage, but not enough i reckon.

This is true :)

Yeah but we gotta speculate or end up with Voyager being invincible, given it goes up against the Borg how often?

Aye nothing wrong with speculation, but I like to speculate based off what we've seen on screen though (evidence), which in turn lends itself to rational reasoning, rather than wild hypothetical ideas. Both can be fun, but in these scenarios, any facts have to play a part in the discussion otherwise what's the point :)
    No problem with that reasoning. The Galaxy relies upon its shields, the Defiant relies on its armour. The point i am trying to make (apologies if i muddle it) is that said massive failure of shields (with little or no return fire or evasive action) was an extremely rare occurance, so while the Galaxy would have a hard time without shields, i don't think the Defiant would get the Quantums off as cleanly or easily as the BoP did - certainly not without retaliation that would indeed do damage to the Defiant.

Indeed, a Galaxy class ship is going to pose a huge risk to any little Defiant class ship. I think though, given its speed & manoeuvrability, it'd be able to get enough Quantums off to leave the Galaxy reeling. The power of those quantums cannot be overstated, they've devastating...& can be seen to destroy ships in a handful of hits that a Galaxy class ship would spend all day trying to do. A Defiant class ship would face a sustained pummeling , no doubt there, but I think she'd be able for it given what we've seen on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Rawr

Kiith wrote: »
    One of the problems with the Galaxy vs the Defiant, is most of our exposure to the Galaxy was during TNG. They never really showed it do anything other than sit there and fire a few torpedos. In Best of Both Worlds it really opened up a few times and showed it's potential firepower, but there was never fleet battles like we saw in DS9. The few times it's shown in DS9, it's a pretty serious powerhouse. A Galaxy takes out a Galor class ship with a few phaser hits in Sacrifice of Angels. That's where i see the Galaxy doing well. 360 degree arc with really powerful phasers.

The other issue is TNG and DS9 had very different versions of shields. We never saw the bubble shields we saw in TNG during DS9 battles, and it often seemed like there were no shields at all. Loads of times in DS9 the first shot hits the ships hull.

I still say a Galaxy with similar tech level weapons will take out a Defiant class any day of the week. And a Sovereign would take out both.

+1

The Galaxy was surprisingly well armed for the era of Trek it came from. I possessed the Rick Stenbeck Enterprised-D blueprints and a fairly decent model of 1701-D and I was always taken a-back by the amount of Phaser strips the ship had.

In addtion to both of the long strips above and below the saucer-section, you had another long strip under the secondary hull near the deflector, as well as 2 more on the back of the back of the 'neck', 4 more near the aft photon port, and finally 2 more: one on each nacelle pylon.

It could attack from any angle, and assuming the Tactical officer was a good enough aim, he/she could probably hit anything coming towards the ship.

Although, trying to compare a TNG Galaxy to DS9's Defiant, feels like trying to compare Dad's Army to Kelly's Heroes. Back in TNG, the Federation was drunk on how awesome they were, and wallowed in their role as the galaxies' policemen. Starfleet and the ships of the time kind of reflected that.

"Lets wear BRIGHT RED uniforms and move through space real slow while telling idiot aliens to stop warring with each other! Yay! Federation!!"

Then of course, we get the Borg, the Cardassians start messing about, the Romulans are back, and for a brief while the Klingons were baddies again. It's then that we start seeing a more militarized Startfleet that consider that the Federation is potentially in danger from any hostile race with enough tech. This seems to nicely fall in with an improvement in SFX technology, where we can actually get to see a starship perform 'evasive maneuvers' (instead of it just go the the right slightly. Why even bothing giving them 'pattern' designations if Maneuver Pattern A-G are all the same thing? :D )

So in the Dominion war, we get to see the end of TNG crews and ships, and more of a war-machine in development with the Defiant in the lead since she was the first Fed warship for a long while.

I would recon that a Dominion War-hardened Galaxy crew would give any Defiant a run for it's money, especially if they had spent their war trying to stop hundreds of little Jem Hadar raiders from doing suicide runs against them. A Defiant running around them would be a very familiar target in that respect, and probably wouldn't last long.

Against a TNG crew, the Galaxy would be toast.

Indeed, a Galaxy class ship is going to pose a huge risk to any little Defiant class ship. I think though, given its speed & manoeuvrability, it'd be able to get enough Quantums off to leave the Galaxy reeling. The power of those quantums cannot be overstated, they've devastating...& can be seen to destroy ships in a handful of hits that a Galaxy class ship would spend all day trying to do. A Defiant class ship would face a sustained pummeling , no doubt there, but I think she'd be able for it given what we've seen on screen.

Fair enough - agree to disagree - i just can't see past all those phaser banks and torpedo bays on the Galaxy.

BTW - are we discounting a Galaxy having quantums too in this battle?

Rawr wrote: »
    I would recon that a Dominion War-hardened Galaxy crew would give any Defiant a run for it's money

And you'd have to imagine that a Dominion War era Galaxy class ship would be brought up to date, defensive systems wise. In that case, the Galaxy would win out...the Defiant bearly beat an upgraded Excelsior class ship...so given a Galaxy is far more powerful, it'd surely win out in that scenario. A stock, TNG-era Galaxy though, I'm not convinced...I think I'd lean more toward a Defiant class ship.

Fair enough - agree to disagree - i just can't see past all those phaser banks and torpedo bays on the Galaxy.

I just don't think TNG era phasers pose any significant risk to the Defiant...the shields of the Defiant are in a different league.
    BTW - are we discounting a Galaxy having quantums too in this battle?

Absolutely, stock vs stock. An upgraded Galaxy ala the Lakota would have no issues with a Defiant class ship.

I'd agree that the Defiant would take out a stock Galaxy as well. It had a good 10+ years of tech on the Galaxy class. Quantum Torpedoes alone seemed to be a massive upgrade.

Absolutely, stock vs stock. An upgraded Galaxy ala the Lakota would have no issues with a Defiant class ship.

Hmmm....it was a long era - the Galaxy at the start of TNG was vastly less advanced than the one at the end of Generations, just as the Defiant before the destruction of the Odyssey wasn't the same pocket rocket it was afterwards. it took some technical wizardry on the fly from the Chief to get the Defiant up to scratch, no?

EDIT: Not to mention the years of advancements we saw when TNG was off air and DS9 was on......

Did the Defiant have quantums rolling out of dock?

And you'd have to imagine that a Dominion War era Galaxy class ship would be brought up to date, defensive systems wise. In that case, the Galaxy would win out...the Defiant bearly beat an upgraded Excelsior class ship...so given a Galaxy is far more powerful, it'd surely win out in that scenario. A stock, TNG-era Galaxy though, I'm not convinced...I think I'd lean more toward a Defiant class ship.

Pretty much. I've been coming at this as post Dominion war, as per original thread title

Just looked it up there - original Defiant rolled out of docks without Quantums in 2370, 1 year before Quantums were used....so does this not shift the 'stock vs stock' argument?

Hmmm....it was a long era - the Galaxy at the start of TNG was vastly less advanced than the one at the end of Generations, just as the Defiant before the destruction of the Odyssey wasn't the same pocket rocket it was afterwards. it took some technical wizardry on the fly from the Chief to get the Defiant up to scratch, no?

Well say a season 7 TNG-era Galaxy, versus a season 7 DS9-era Defiant to be precise.
    EDIT: Not to mention the years of advancements we saw when TNG was off air and DS9 was on......

Well that is the whole point, the Defiant has defensive systems far more advanced than a stock era Galaxy. If we're talking about upgraded Galaxy class ships, then the discussion can end here & now because a Galaxy in that case would win without too much trouble.
    Did the Defiant have quantums rolling out of dock?

I think so, I'm not 100% sure but I'm sure the ship was designed to have them anyway.

Just looked it up there - original Defiant rolled out of docks without Quantums in 2370, 1 year before Quantums were used....so does this not shift the 'stock vs stock' argument?

Yeah but what's a stock Galaxy at the end of the War? That's the issue here I feel

• Advertisement

Was it designed to use them though, from the get-go? Given its nature, I'd lean toward a yes...

Was it designed to use them though, from the get-go? Given its nature, I'd lean toward a yes...

I'd have to ask Colm Meaney, but he won't answer my calls :P

I take your point, S7 vs S7, Defiant wins - but end of war Galaxy vs end of war Defiant, Galaxy wins.

I take your point, S7 vs S7, Defiant wins - but end of war Galaxy vs end of war Defiant, Galaxy wins.

I'd agree with that, going off the assumption that any Galaxy class ship that survived the war had been brought up to date in terms of defensive systems :)

It wasn't even the Defiant in season 7...not really anyway :P

Kiith wrote: »
    It wasn't even the Defiant in season 7...not really anyway :P

Feck off :pac:

I'd agree with that, going off the assumption that any Galaxy class ship that survived the war had been brought up to date in terms of defensive systems :)

This is actually the most amicable resolution to a discussion i have ever had on Boards.

This forum must be some sort of utopian Federation style paradise.

This is actually the most amicable resolution to a discussion i have ever had on Boards.

This forum must be some sort of utopian Federation style paradise.

Shh, section 31 will hear you....they're everywhere :D

So....basically, the economy is booming from ship building and the retrofitting of Galaxy class ships?

What's a few quantums thrown between friends?

• Advertisement

What's a few quantums thrown between friends?

Well, as we have established, it all depends on what year they are thrown :P

Advertisement