Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Retail staff should be given more leeway to put horrible customers in their place, and tell them to **** off, though not in as many words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Retail staff should be given more leeway to put horrible customers in their place, and tell them to **** off, though not in as many words.

But there's more satisfaction in telling them to f*ck off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

kupus wrote: »
    And I hate holidays they are over rated,

Care to explain why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Robsweezie wrote: »

During a 3-4 week election campaign, we have a rule of thumb that you get to tell one person to go f$%^ themselves. The challenge is not to use up that card to early in the campaign, as you're probably going to need it in that tense final week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

kupus wrote: »
    Judges are not really lizard people. They don't come from space. And they are not aliens.

They're just ignorant people

A South African man given a wholly suspended sentence for possessing cannabis concealed in pieces of timber has been given another wholly suspended sentence despite a finding that his original punishment was “unduly lenient”

Judges huh?
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/a-south-african-man-given-a-wholly-suspended-sentence-for-possessing-cannabis-concealed-in-pieces-of-timber-has-been-given-another-wholly-suspended-sentence-despite-a-finding-that-his-original-punishment-was-unduly-lenient-31416126.html

• Advertisement

I don't like toast and it annoys me when I'm ordering a full Irish, ask for no toast, and the wait staff are confused and ask if I'm sure. Yes, I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I don't think judges just pluck a lenient sentence for the craic though - it's based on existing legislation. It is sickening when a sentence is utterly trifling for the crime in question though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I don't understand people that say they cannot function without coffee in the morning. Of course you can.
    Yeah it's silly and OTT when people say they can't function and the like, but caffeine is very addictive and when you get into the habit of something that helps keep you awake early in the morning/gives you a bit of a boost, it's a bit of a pain when you can't avail of this habit.

I just have a coffee in the morning, tea the rest of the day - I hate when I don't have time to get my coffee in the morning. Really miss it. Totally just because it's an ingrained habit though, not because I can't function.

I drink maybe one cup of tea, one cup of coffee, then the rest is decaf or herbal tea. Used to drink so much tea a day. It's crazy how much difference that small change made to my well-being.

People who say sociopathic things online about other races, abortion, gay people, welfare recipients & refugees and so on, usually don't mean any of it.

Some of them are just trying to get a rise out of you for kicks. Others are angry at the world & this is their way of externalising it, or of seeking-out reassurance that people reject the cruel opinions they're articulating.

I came to this conclusion as I don't see any why people would optherwise waste so much time baiting people with opinions they know are risible, and expressing them in the most inflammatory way possible. You can't really want people to drown in the Med, or go hungry, or to feel left out of society, I just don't believe it anymore.

By the way this isn't one of those sly dig posts, I don't particularly have anyone or anything in mind, just inflammatory stuff in general.

Is it an unpopular opinion? Not sure. Maybe more unaccepted than unpopular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

I don't like toast and it annoys me when I'm ordering a full Irish, ask for no toast, and the wait staff are confused and ask if I'm sure. Yes, I'm sure.

Are ya sure about that? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

People who say sociopathic things online about other races, abortion, gay people, welfare recipients & refugees and so on, usually don't mean any of it.

Some of them are just trying to get a rise out of you for kicks. Others are angry at the world & this is their way of externalising it, or of seeking-out reassurance that people reject the cruel opinions they're articulating.

I came to this conclusion as I don't see any why people would optherwise waste so much time baiting people with opinions they know are risible, and expressing them in the most inflammatory way possible. You can't really want people to drown in the Med, or go hungry, or to feel left out of society, I just don't believe it anymore.

By the way this isn't one of those sly dig posts, I don't particularly have anyone or anything in mind, just inflammatory stuff in general.

I'd be more inclined to go with the "people are thick as shhit" explanation myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Totally agree. It makes me feel just...depressed seeing those posts. I may be naive, but I have a certain belief in the essential decency of people, and it's hard to believe that so many people could honestly hate others so much. On the other hand, it's also depressing that so many people are willing to express such just to get a rise out of others.

Whatever happened to the first rule of Don't Be A Dick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

But there's more satisfaction in telling them to f*ck off

of course, I'm just saying to cover their own arses they shouldnt outright say **** off in case complaints are made and they find themselves in deep **** in head office.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Shame on them for making sure they get your order right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

You have a good heart Miltiades. But I think you have misjudged people here. Unfortunately, some people DO want others to drown in the med, they DO want to kill their child, they DO want other people to starve. Its not about being inflammatory, its just a sad fact that some people are bad. Not everybody is as nice as me or you.

This whole Cecil the lion thing is getting blown way out of proportion.
    I'm bloody sick of Cecil the Lion.

Couldnt agree more. Kill a lion, there's uproar. Kill baby Emmett and sell his bodyparts, doesnt even feature on local radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Shame on them for making sure they get your order right

No, it's just annoying. It's like when the girl at the deli counter asks you multiple times what your three fillings in your chicken roll are.

Listen, instead of speaking.

As much fun as I find her to be, Jennifer Lawrence isn't that great of an actress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

newmug wrote: »
    You have a good heart Miltiades. But I think you have misjudged people here. Unfortunately, some people DO want others to drown in the med, they DO want to kill their child, they DO want other people to starve. Its not about being inflammatory, its just a sad fact that some people are bad. Not everybody is as nice as me or you.

Couldnt agree more. Kill a lion, there's uproar. Kill baby Emmett and sell his bodyparts, doesnt even feature on local radio.

Naming another person's abortion is just about the creepiest thing I've seen on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Kev W wrote: »
    Naming another person's abortion is just about the creepiest thing I've seen on Boards.

Not to mention regurgitating that idiotic conspiracy theory that Planned Parenthood is selling bodyparts...
    Kill baby Emmett and sell his bodyparts, doesnt even feature on local radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

While that's true of some people I think a lot of it is just down to vomiting whatever crap comes into your head onto the internet.

In real life you've got actual people whose reactions you have to anticipate before you open your gob.
    Some people have no tact and carry on regardless, but not to the degree you see on the internet.

Some people hide their true beliefs because they know they'll get them in trouble in polite company, but I suspect most of the people spouting hateful ****e online are just being emotional, and if they really had to reflect on what they were saying they'd probably not bother and they'd realise they don't really mean it.

Words are cheap. If it came to the crunch, I think the overwhelming majority of people would help someone of another colour out, wouldn't attack them, wouldn't actively try to directly ruin their life or whatever.

Dehumanisation has long been a way to get people to do things they might otherwise be uncomfortable with. By it's nature, online interactions dehumanise both parties and facilitate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The fact that a dentist shot a lion dead in Africa has affected my life not one jot.

Had this happened 20 years ago we wouldn't even know it ever happened. Now millions across the world feel the need to be outraged, lead by numpties like Ricky Gervais. Suit him better to spend time writing more material inside of demonising this guy.

As I disclosed in another thread, I've done awful things like wrangling piglets' teeth from their heads with pliers, I'm not asking for a backslap in that post, that's the last thing I want!

But I believe I am a good person, and I believe most people are. I think sociopaths are a tiny minority, and many people pretending to be sociopaths online are just very confused people who have their own problems.

We're all complex. We all carry around anguish like lead balloons but very few of us are really bad, even internet trolls who try to get a rise out of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Antarctica

NIMAN wrote: »
    The fact that a dentist shot a lion dead in Africa has affected my life not one jot.

Had this happened 20 years ago we wouldn't even know it ever happened. Now millions across the world feel the need to be outraged, lead by numpties like Ricky Gervais. Suit him better to spend time writing more material inside of demonising this guy.

Affected you enough to write about it.

You sound like a heartless so and so.

Less of people like you required on this planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Links234 wrote: »
    Not to mention regurgitating that idiotic conspiracy theory that Planned Parenthood is selling bodyparts...

Its not a conspiracy theory, they are doing it. Does that not disgust you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Not as much as forced pregnancy fetishes.

Oh, and Planned Parenthood did nothing illegal according to an investigation into their clinics instigated by your fellow ultra-conservatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I didn't think the film "Taxi Driver" was that good or made any sense. How can a guy go a rampage killing then be cleared of the killings?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

thefloss wrote: »
    No, it's just annoying. It's like when the girl at the deli counter asks you multiple times what your three fillings in your chicken roll are.

Listen, instead of speaking.

well then make your own f*****g roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Oh I have another very unpopular opinion. A family is not a proper family. Unless there is a father and mother and kids. I think single parent units and all other constituent groupings either were full families or are not a family.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Oh I have another very unpopular opinion. A family is not a proper family. Unless there is a father and mother and kids. I think single parent units and all other constituent groupings either were full families or are not a family.

Well only married couples (and offspring if any) are defined as families in our constitution

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement