Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh another one which usually gets people's hackles up... I don't think Ricky Gervais is funny. Well mildly amusing as a one trick wonder. Stop laughing at yourself you twat. Great idea mind, become your own audience providing a laugh track, like a deeply unfunny sitcom. Didn't like the office either. Then again I've never lived in cheap suit, must reach regional targets cubicle land so probably didn't get the in jokes. Thank fcuk.

From what I've seen of the Office, David Brent is a *slightly* exaggerated version of Ricky Gervais!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

I think online discussion/chatter in twitter,facebook, boards.ie etc is overwhelmingly a bad thing, not saying there aren't some good parts, such a technical issues(light won't go off my dashboard etc) but the bad far outweighs the good.

Everyone would be better off without it.

I don't believe the PI section here or anywhere else is of any use to anyone I've read through parts of it now and again and failed to see one example where I could say, yeah that must have really helped that person.

People might say its good to talk about problems etc and I agree, but not online. If you read around here its quiet clear online chatter only draws people more into themselves.

As for depression/anxiety-not a hope.
    Imagine a doctor or some other professional advising someone suffering depression to go online anonymously and talk about your problems, crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Links234 wrote: »
    This right here is why Whoopi Goldberg can go f*ck herself.

Bitter nutjob with a chip on her shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Maybe I've been reading too much nonsense online from ignorant Cork fans who too lazy to buy another flag (Or open a book) but this seems to be a controversial opinion at the moment...

The US Civil War was fought over the issue of slavery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Maybe I've been reading too much nonsense online from ignorant Cork fans who too lazy to buy another flag (Or open a book) but this seems to be a controversial opinion at the moment...

The US Civil War was fought over the issue of slavery.
    I have certainly heard that the american civil war was about more than slavery.

Its seems unlikely that "white folks" of those times would go to such lengths if slavery was the only issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

blinding wrote: »
    I have certainly heard that the american civil war was about more than slavery.

Its seems unlikely that "white folks" of those times would go to such lengths if slavery was the only issue.

Southerners have long perpetuated a myth that it was about other issues but this doesn't hold up to historical scrutiny. They claim it was about tarriffs but tarriffs were actually at record lows in 1860. They claim it was about states' rights but had no history of supporting this cause (In fact, they opposed the right of northern states to NOT allow slavery). The sole reason for secession was fear of their barbaric trade in himan lives being halted by Lincoln.

The leaders of the Confederacy directly stated this at the time - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/22/civil-war-slavery_n_7639988.html
    Let's let the Southern states and their Civil War leaders speak for themselves.

South Carolina Secession Statement
    Alexander Stephens, vice president of the Confederacy, said the Southern states would fight to keep “the negro” in “his place” in a hard-to-misread statement on the day the Civil War began:

Many governments have been founded upon the principle of the subordination and serfdom of certain classes of the same race; such were and are in violation of the laws of nature. Our system commits no such violation of nature’s laws. With us, all of the white race, however high or low, rich or poor, are equal in the eye of the law. Not so with the negro. Subordination is his place. He, by nature, or by the curse against Canaan, is fitted for that condition which he occupies in our system. The architect, in the construction of buildings, lays the foundation with the proper material -- the granite; then comes the brick or the marble. The substratum of our society is made of the material fitted by nature for it, and by experience we know that it is best, not only for the superior, but for the inferior race, that it should be so. It is, indeed, in conformity with the ordinance of the Creator. It is not for us to inquire into the wisdom of His ordinances, or to question them. For His own purposes, He has made one race to differ from another, as He has made “one star to differ from another star in glory. The great objects of humanity are best attained when there is conformity to His laws and decrees, in the formation of governments as well as in all things else. Our confederacy is founded upon principles in strict conformity with these laws.

Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy, cited slavery as the reason for going to war in 1861 and rallied in its defense until his death in 1889. His take on the Emancipation Proclamation, reiterated in his memoirs, is quite telling:

A proclamation, dated on January 1, 1863, signed and issued by the President of the United States, orders and declares all slaves within ten of the States of the Confederacy to be free, except such as are found in certain districts now occupied in part by the armed forces of the enemy. We may well leave it to the instinct of that common humanity, which a beneficent Creator has implanted in the breasts of our fellow-men of all countries, to pass judgment on a measure by which several millions of human beings of an inferior race -- peaceful, contented laborers in their sphere -- are doomed to extermination, while at the same time they are encouraged to a general assassination of their masters by the insidious recommendation "to abstain from violence, unless in necessary self-defense."

The Confederate leaders couldn't have been clearer about what they were fighting for.

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/primarysources/declarationofcauses.html?referrer=https://www.google.com.co/

South Carolina-
    We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection.

Texas-
    In all the non-slave-holding States, in violation of that good faith and comity which should exist between entirely distinct nations, the people have formed themselves into a great sectional party, now strong enough in numbers to control the affairs of each of those States, based upon an unnatural feeling of hostility to these Southern States and their beneficent and patriarchal system of African slavery, proclaiming the debasing doctrine of equality of all men, irrespective of race or color-- a doctrine at war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in violation of the plainest revelations of Divine Law. They demand the abolition of negro slavery throughout the confederacy, the recognition of political equality between the white and negro races, and avow their determination to press on their crusade against us, so long as a negro slave remains in these States.

For years past this abolition organization has been actively sowing the seeds of discord through the Union, and has rendered the federal congress the arena for spreading firebrands and hatred between the slave-holding and non-slave-holding States.

By consolidating their strength, they have placed the slave-holding States in a hopeless minority in the federal congress, and rendered representation of no avail in protecting Southern rights against their exactions and encroachments. They have proclaimed, and at the ballot box sustained, the revolutionary doctrine that there is a 'higher law' than the constitution and laws of our Federal Union, and virtually that they will disregard their oaths and trample upon our rights.

They have for years past encouraged and sustained lawless organizations to steal our slaves and prevent their recapture, and have repeatedly murdered Southern citizens while lawfully seeking their rendition.

And best of all, Mississippi-
    In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin. That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

Sadly, southerners have been getting away with distorting history for decades and the popular notion of the south is more 'Gone With the Wind' than '12 Years a Slave'. The latter is far more accurate. Like many you've heard of other factors but you don't actually know what they are. Because they are a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

I believe that if you know you're a heavy snorer, you should do the decent thing and not stay in hostels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I personally think Social democratic governments are the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I personally think Social democratic governments are the best form of government.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I don't think you're going to get much disagreement there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Paul Murphy was recently chiding Enda Kenny about his interest in the Greek situation being purely down to them not getting a better deal than his government got...

Surely Paul Murphy's interest in Greece is the opposite side of the same coin, and what has occurred subsequently makes a mockery of his entire stance?

My unpopular opinion would be we were lucky that these guys weren't listened to, and that although Kenny's govt hasn't been perfect, they have done a pretty decent job all things considered - far better than anything that went before it.

Another one would be that the No to Water Charges argument doesn't have a leg to stand on. We don't in fact 'already pay for water', as the water system is in ruins. That is in fact the entire problem - we haven't been maintaining it.

To be honest, I wouldn't consider this to be an unpopular opinion at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I believe that if you know you're a heavy snorer, you should do the decent thing and not stay in hostels.

I'm a heavy snorer and I agree with you. It's curtailed my travelling as accommodation is far more expensive for a private room.

I know I can't help it and I have tried many remedies but none have worked.

My Ma and Da both snore so I seem to have continued that trait.

On the other hand. I lived in a hostel for a few weeks in my youth and any traveller worth their salt always had ear plugs in their personal effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Steak is overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Bacon, Cabbage and Spuds: Overrated farmers dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Bacon, Cabbage and Spuds: Overrated farmers dinner

Mmmm beautiful on a cold winters day. Fills you up for hours and makes you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Links234 wrote: »
    Steak is overrated.
    Bacon is overrated.

Take a fairly bland inoffensive meat (pork), add loads of salt and you have a salty bland meat - not some sort of ambrosia.

Don't understand the whole internet craze about it, probably some sort of surreptitious marketing campaign by the Association of Pig Farmers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Bacon is overrated.

Take a fairly bland inoffensive meat (pork), add loads of salt and you have a salty bland meat - not some sort of ambrosia.

Don't understand the whole internet craze about it, probably some sort of surreptitious marketing campaign by the Association of Pig Farmers.

Roast pork, unsalted, is delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

kupus wrote: »
    Mmmm beautiful on a cold winters day. Fills you up for hours and makes you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside

You've just described what having sex with me is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Meryl Streep is a woeful actress.

The only parts she can pull off (Ohhhhh matron..) are ones where she's playing a cold hearted character:

Thatcher (Bitch),
    Kramer vs Kramer (Bitch),
    Deer Hunter (Cold Bitch),
    The Devil Wears Prada (Harridan)
    Death Becomes Her (Battleaxe),
    Doubt (Bitch Nun),
    Into The Woods (Witch) etc etc etc.

..and that's because, well.. she is all of the above combined.

I contend she's a fraud. A non-actress. A soulless vessel. I wish her nothing but poverty and loneliness.

Sadly she will be bothered by neither, such is this God forsaken planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

The only parts she can pull off (Ohhhhh matron..) are ones where she's playing a cold hearted character:

Thatcher (Bitch),
    Doubt (Bitch Nun),

..and that's because, well.. she is one.

I contend she's a fraud. A non-actress. A soulless vessel. I wish her nothing but poverty and loneliness.

What makes you think she's a bitch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

cyclists are decent people...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

So that's your unpopular opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Thatcher (Bitch),
    Doubt (Bitch Nun),

..and that's because, well.. she is all of the above combined.

Watch Sophie's choice and come back to me.

My entire neighbourhood would disagree with me on this one anyway...and they'd hang me from a lamp post if I said it out loud but...

You shouldn't be having children if you're not financially stable enough to look after them.

Nothing that annoys me more than "Mr Lives in the bookies" and "Ms Jeremy Kyle and blue WKD fan" neither of them working and they go and have a couple of sprogs and expect the keys to some house off some local twat parish pump TD/councillor.

Sucking the countries resources dry, and you wonder why there isn't enough jobs being created.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Ironic......... considering your username

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    My entire neighbourhood would disagree with me on this one anyway...and they'd hang me from a lamp post if I said it out loud but...

You shouldn't be having children if you're not financially stable enough to look after them.

Nothing that annoys me more than "Mr Lives in the bookies" and "Ms Jeremy Kyle and blue WKD fan" neither of them working and they go and have a couple of sprogs and expect the keys to some house off some local twat parish pump TD/councillor.

Sucking the countries resources dry, and you wonder why there isn't enough jobs being created.

I agree with you on this 100% But whats even worse is the "Mr" working full time and shes a "lone parent" but living together as a couple and the mr gets offside when a social welfare person makes an appointment to visit the "lone Parent"

bob50 wrote: »
    I agree with you on this 100% But whats even worse is the "Mr" working full time and shes a "lone parent" but living together as a couple and the mr gets offside when a social welfare person makes an appointment to visit the "lone Parent"

Yeah I agree with that too, lot of scam artists out there, and once they are reported they'll have the audacity to say "F**kin neighbours ratted me out" those neighbours are working to provide a roof over your head under an obligation that you are a "lone parent" if you're a lone parent, it kind of means you're by yourself.

Whenever I hear of anyone in my neighbourhood that is like 5 or more years younger than myself, I'm 26 and still living at home because I can't afford a basic apartment, and I hear this stuff like "Can't wait to get the keys off of Jimbob Mulcahy TD, he's great, he sorted out my R/A too! when also they are most likely thinking "I won't have to work a day in my life now" Just to sit at home feeding the child all sorts of processed shoite so they don't have to fork out any proper money for decent food for the kid's health.

When they mention getting the keys for a house that's actually nicer than my own home or whatever all I'm thinking is "F**k you and your 3 children from 3 different dads" I know they are innocent children but ffs it annoys me. If people knew how I really thought, my house would have been burned down long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I don't get "lad's nights out" or "lad's holidays", nor would I feel the same about girls if I was one.

99.99% of the time in group situations I prefer to socialize with both genders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

karaokeman wrote: »
    I don't get "lad's nights out" or "lad's holidays", nor would I feel the same about girls if I was one.

99.99% of the time in group situations I prefer to socialize with both genders.

You are obviously not gay :D ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

You are obviously not gay :D ???

No I'm not, but it would make difference if I was. We voted yes for a reason!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement