Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Enjoy Heroin Responsibly

arayess wrote: »
    the civil war in american was over a lot more than slavery and race.

Like what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Like what ?

"States' Rights" presumably. When people mainly invoke "States' Rights" to defend the Confederacy or Southern Segregation, I wonder if their is an ulterior motive.

It's amazing how much respect the Confederacy gets. It was a stain on the history of North America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

"States' Rights" presumably. When people mainly invoke "States' Rights" to defend the Confederacy or Southern Segregation, I wonder if their is an ulterior motive.

It's amazing how much respect the Confederacy gets. It was a stain on the history of North America.

While I won't argue that the motivation for them was the preservation of slavery, the idea that the a Government is justified in using brutal tactics (the March to the Sea etc) to prevent a popular secession isn't appealing.

If the Confederates had been fighting to retain the rights to something less morally reprehensible than Slavery from a modern viewpoint we would probably view them as the victims of an oppressive state.

If the Confederates had been fighting to retain the rights to something less morally reprehensible than Slavery from a modern viewpoint we would probably view them as the victims of an oppressive state.

But they weren't so its a pretty moot point ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    The modern day conception of the flag was never the official flag of the Confederates. It was a battle flag for one group in particular. This flag was popularised during the Civil Rights Movements by the dixiecrats when different states who supported segregation all of a sudden used it as an official flag.

The flag is inherently racist in its symbolism because of its history.

Intestingly, people who support the confederate flag are less likely to know southern history: http://www.vox.com/2015/7/3/8880193/history-confederate-flag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

arayess wrote: »
    probably unpopular
    I was impressed with Brian Cowan's first day at the bank tribunal.

He's had plenty of time to get his answer in, this tribunal is a waste of time and money, but at least the barristers parasites are getting paid.
    History has taught us that nothing happens with these mock trials and are just pantomimes for the "plebs" to talk about during the coffee break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Like what ?

Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists, there were economic factors, both domestic and inter...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists, there were economic factors, both domestic and inter...

Just say "Slavery"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Slavery it is sir! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

i cant understand why people are marching in support of greece.imo greece made its bed and now should lie in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

i cant understand why people are marching in support of greece.imo greece made its bed and now should lie in it

Seen a post on fb about Greece rejecting the referendum and all the comments were, good on them a shame our govt. didn't have the balls. Absolutely ridiculous. Greece are being idiots and seem to think they'll be able to write off some of the debt which they won't be. They're fecked. Our govt. did the right thing.

And now look at our unemployment level - down around 5%. Obviously doing something right, but people are obviously blindsided by this and inexplicably think Greece did the right thing.

Aside from the obvious schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists, there were economic factors, both domestic and inter...

Care to elaborate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Obviously doing something right, but people are obviously blindsided by this and inexplicably think Greece did the right thing.
    Ireland did the right thing for Ireland's challenges. Economic recovery is not a one-size approach.

Ireland had to undergo austerity because its imbalances related largely to current expenditure vs revenues, and not structural problems in the economy; Ireland had high social welfare expenditure, but also high productive capacity and high potential growth. The chosen policy was to cut welfare and to tax households, but to leave companies alone, allowing the export economy to accelerate.

Greece, on the other hand, has low welfare transfers, low productive capacity and very low potential growth, aggravated by its brain drain. Not only are the Greeks being asked to cut welfare (i.e. pensions), they are also being asked to punish companies, i.e. increase corporation tax and VAT. They're being asked to stick-on the brakes in a way Ireland never had to.

Comparing the Irish economic crisis with the Greek crisis is fallacious. Both countries have vastly different challenges, and therefore require different solutions.

How can anyone claim that increasing constraints on companies in Greece will allow greater industrial investment? How can anyone deny that decreasing household incomes will decrease demand in that relatively closed economy? This is obvious to anyone with half a brain, including the Europeans, whom I doubt have ever expected their Greek programme to yield sustainable results.

In any case, I suspect your opinion doesn't qualify as an unpopular opinion, because although it is mistaken, it is incredibly popular (in Ireland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

I think it is a disgrace that Roman Polanski has never faced proper justice or never saw the inside of a jail cell. Whatever way his supporters and defenders try to spruce it up, he raped (vaginally, anally and orally) a 13 year old girl. Even if she consented (which she did not; he plied her with alcohol and Quaaludes), she was a child and was below the legal age of consent.

What really irks me even further is that not only did Polanski get to live a comfortable life in France after this incident, he received an Academy Award in 2002. He got a standing bloody ovation at the ceremony. But he wasn't there himself. Because he would have been arrested and flung into prison for being the rapist that he is. I am equally disgusted that he got such applause, but his Award was delivered to him personally by Han Solo himself (Harrison Ford, for those who don't know).

I can understand him continuing to work and make movies, square go. Make a life for yourself, whatever.

But for the Academy to bestow one of the greatest accolades that any film-maker can ever receive (possibly the greatest accolade) on this creepy little rapist is just more than a bit sickening to me. And it wasn't as if there wasn't competition that year: Pedro Almodóvar and Martin Scorsese were just two other directors that were up for the award that year. But no. In its infinite wisdom, the Academy bestowed the award upon a fugitive rapist.

Also, when he was arrested in Switzerland in 2009 and faced extradition to the United States, I was delighted. I thought justice might finally be served and Polanski would be sent down. Nope, the Swiss caved to pressure from idiots who defend the man and released him in early 2010.

I think that Polanski should be immediately returned to the United States to face the music. The chances of that happening are, sadly, unlikely. He's slippery enough to generally avoid countries that would extradite him. And he continues to deny that he did anything wrong. And he still gets defended and gets plaudits for his work.

I've never seen a child rapist get such an easy trip; very few people actually realise that this piece of dirt is a child rapist and he has (effectively) gotten away with it. He should be shuttled straight back to the USA and left to rot in prison. But the fact that the crime happened so long ago means that people will defend him and the fact that he's now 81 years old also means that he's unlikely to ever be punished.

Pure scumbag is all he is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

My unpopular opinion is that statutory rape isn't really much of a crime. If somebody consents, no matter the age, then it's not such a big deal, and I can't see how sleeping with a 16 year old is so much worse than sleeping with a 17 year old.

That's not to say that rape - ie sexual contact without consent - shouldn't be punished in the strongest possible terms, no matter what age the victim is.

Having said that, from all of I've read of Roman Polanski, the woman in question (woman now, child at the time) did not give consent, and I'd agree with the above poster that Polanski evaded the justice he deserved.

Pure scumbag is all he is.

What actually gets my goat about the whole thing is that people who like his movies often make excuses for him, as if they can't like a movie and admit the guy was a rapist at the same time, so they pretend what he did wasn't so bad. That's all kinds of ****ed up! It's absolutely sickening, and as you say yourself, he drugged and raped a 13 year old girl, there's no excusing that! You like his movies? That's cool, you can like his work, just don't pretend he did nothing wrong.

I'll admit, I loved The Pianist. I actually saw quite a few of his movies before I knew about the guy and that he was a fugitive child rapist, I've seen Rosemary's Baby and Chinatown years ago, and I really loved The Ninth Gate. I wouldn't be too keen to see any more of his stuff, but that's just me. So yes, I can appreciate that he was a great director, he made great movies and I can certainly see why people like them, but dont, don't make excuses for him and deny what he did! That's all manner of ****ed. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Links234 wrote: »
    What actually gets my goat about the whole thing is that people who like his movies often make excuses for him, as if they can't like a movie and admit the guy was a rapist at the same time, so they pretend what he did wasn't so bad. That's all kinds of ****ed up! It's absolutely sickening, and as you say yourself, he drugged and raped a 13 year old girl, there's no excusing that! You like his movies? That's cool, you can like his work, just don't pretend he did nothing wrong.

Totally, its as if in their eyes the fact he was a talented filmmaker gives him a free pass. The attitude surrounding Polanski and his apologists makes me sick to the pit of my stomach.

For an example, check out this absolute clanger from Whoopi Goldberg: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/sep/29/roman-polanski-whoopi-goldberg

She basically has the cheek to say it wasn't "rape, rape", whatever the hell that was supposed to have meant. :mad:

mzungu wrote: »
    Totally, its as if in their eyes the fact he was a talented filmmaker gives him a free pass. The attitude surrounding Polanski and his apologists makes me sick to the pit of my stomach.

For an example, check out this absolute clanger from Whoopi Goldberg: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/sep/29/roman-polanski-whoopi-goldberg

She basically has the cheek to say it wasn't "rape, rape", whatever the hell that was supposed to have meant. :mad:

Exactly! He can be a talented filmmaker, and he can also be a scumbag rapist at the same time, they're not mutually exclusive. I'm not going to say anyone is wrong to like his movies, but if you're going to make excuses for him and pretend he didn't do anything wrong? To quote Dara O'Briain, get in the ****ing sack.

Oh and you know what? F*CK Whoopi Goldberg, she's also been supporting Bill Cosby, she came out with some seriously abhorrent stuff in defense of him. She can get in the ****ing sack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Here's an idea - if you think he's a great director, just pirate his movies rather than see them in the cinema or on DVD/Blu-Ray/legit download.

• Advertisement

This right here is why Whoopi Goldberg can go f*ck herself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

This right here is why Whoopi Goldberg can go f*ck herself.

Sickening :mad:. This is what has victims afraid to go to the police and report high profile abusers.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

stephenl15 wrote: »
    And now look at our unemployment level - down around 5%

More like 9.7%.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

More like 9.7%.

Does that figure include the scam that is jobsbridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Quazzie wrote: »
    Does that figure include the scam that is jobsbridge?

Less than 3,000 people took up Jobsbridge internships last year iirc so it would not make that much of a dent in the unemployment figures.

Exactly! He can be a talented filmmaker, and he can also be a scumbag rapist at the same time, they're not mutually exclusive. I'm not going to say anyone is wrong to like his movies, but if you're going to make excuses for him and pretend he didn't do anything wrong? ..

+1

And I'm going to totally Godwin the discussion by pointing out that one can enjoy driving a Volkswagen along Germany's fine motorway network without necessarily being a holocaust denier :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

speaking of Whoopi Goldberg:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Paul Murphy was recently chiding Enda Kenny about his interest in the Greek situation being purely down to them not getting a better deal than his government got...

Surely Paul Murphy's interest in Greece is the opposite side of the same coin, and what has occurred subsequently makes a mockery of his entire stance?

My unpopular opinion would be we were lucky that these guys weren't listened to, and that although Kenny's govt hasn't been perfect, they have done a pretty decent job all things considered - far better than anything that went before it.

Another one would be that the No to Water Charges argument doesn't have a leg to stand on. We don't in fact 'already pay for water', as the water system is in ruins. That is in fact the entire problem - we haven't been maintaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Jackass is shit after half an hour of it.
    You managed to watch more than 30 seconds of it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement