Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

menoscemo wrote: »
    Did the Irish Rocky Meet the Polish Rocky at the Spartathlon last year?
    Yea .polish Rocky battered Irish rocky by about 9hrs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Jotunheim

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Me too, don't know why they didn't just say "Cork man wins....... ".

I thought the headline made sense. Identifying him as a hurler brought a different angle to people's understanding of his achievement by getting the attention of people who had little or no interest in running, never mind ultras, and vice versa would have caught they eye of runners who wouldn't know hurling. It also gives a headline biography to the man, shows his level of proven ability in two different sports.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 ultranewbie

Hey - just checking in here. I am new to Ultra but would be faster than most of the lads in it. Iam looking to break some Irish records over the next few months. Anyone have a suggestion of the softest ones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 ultranewbie

Sorry just to be clear I realise they are all pretty soft tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Go for the 24 hour. That's really easy.

Edit:

Although, given your obvious talent, you're showing a real lack of ambition by just looking at something as soft as the Irishr records. Surely world records would be a more worthy target for a man of your obvious talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Why run far when you can run fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Itziger wrote: »
    That's a very good question Bel. Unfortunately the family are Na Piarsiagh (SP?) I believe, our closest rivals - We're Glen Rovers ourselves although incredibly two of my sisters married into that crowd. Don't know if Carta ever really played the stuff, went Stateside young enough.

(I understand your question was tongue in cheek but decided to respond anyway)

Not sure he'll be thinking of hurling training as he winds his way up the last 'hill'.

I presume this is the man himself?

http://www.the42.ie/irish-man-running-badwater-135-2237593-Jul2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Runner Mojo

I'd like to push my distance out from a marathon to an Ultra by the end of the year - any advice for a newbie to the field? (When I say newbie, I mean real newbie)

(When I say newbie, I mean real newbie)

And when you say real newbie, do you mean to running, to marathons or what are we talking here? You may be one of the cover stars for running mags who claims to go from sofa to Sparta within a week of giving up smoking and fried breakfasts, but much more likely you have a longer journey, like the rest of us, so the advice you want will be better if you say where exactly you are now and how you got there.

Jotunheim wrote: »
    And when you say real newbie, do you mean to running, to marathons or what are we talking here? You may be one of the cover stars for running mags who claims to go from sofa to Sparta within a week of giving up smoking and fried breakfasts, but much more likely you have a longer journey, like the rest of us, so the advice you want will be better if you say where exactly you are now and how you got there.

lol - thanks.. yeah, you are right, I didn't exactly give any details.

I used to run quite a bit. Not very fast, but I have a fair few runs behind me.I am back running after a couple of years absence and at the moment my long runs are hitting around the 10 miles.

I have done a few marathons and am training for Dublin at the moment. Never went over a marathon (or finished one thinking I could keep going any further).

Average pace at the moment on a typical short run is 8:58 min/mile and on long runs, around 9:12 min/mile

Can I pretend I look like a cover model, or do I need to share a pic? ;-)

Anyway - any advice on how I should continue after the marathon would be great, thanks

• Advertisement

I used to run quite a bit. Not very fast, but I have a fair few runs behind me.I am back running after a couple of years absence and at the moment my long runs are hitting around the 10 miles.

The inconsistency and long layoff here would, I think, be your biggest concern. You're now trying to go from 0 to 60 without the platform.

Because of that, my response to this....
    Anyway - any advice on how I should continue after the marathon would be great, thanks

...is wait and see how you get on with the marathon. If you can handle the program for that, injury/burnout free and you're still enjoying your running, then make your choices and look to find out how to achieve them. You'll have a physical platform and experience to build on, as opposed to where you are now which seems to me to running before you can walk, a phrase that has even more meaning for an ultra.

I don't know what age you are, but like any long distances runners get better as they mature, up to a point, so unless you have a reason to rush giving it a few more months to arm yourself, then a few more after that to train specifically for an ultra seems a lot more sensible to me than setting a short-term target that it both potentially unobtainable and injurious. There are also lots of ultras to choose from, all year 'round, in lots of different places to suit your schedule, budget etc, so no reason to set the calendar year as your target. There's no rush unless you have a good reason to be in one.

Can I pretend I look like a cover model, or do I need to share a pic? ;-)

That's what private messages are for, hit me and we'll take it from there :pac:

Good luck with the marathon and enjoy it.

Jotunheim wrote: »
    The inconsistency and long layoff here would, I think, be your biggest concern. You're now trying to go from 0 to 60 without the platform.

Because of that, my response to this....

...is wait and see how you get on with the marathon. If you can handle the program for that, injury/burnout free and you're still enjoying your running, then make your choices and look to find out how to achieve them. You'll have a physical platform and experience to build on, as opposed to where you are now which seems to me to running before you can walk, a phrase that has even more meaning for an ultra.

I don't know what age you are, but like any long distances runners get better as they mature, up to a point, so unless you have a reason to rush giving it a few more months to arm yourself, then a few more after that to train specifically for an ultra seems a lot more sensible to me than setting a short-term target that it both potentially unobtainable and injurious. There are also lots of ultras to choose from, all year 'round, in lots of different places to suit your schedule, budget etc, so no reason to set the calendar year as your target. There's no rush unless you have a good reason to be in one.

That's what private messages are for, hit me and we'll take it from there :pac:

Good luck with the marathon and enjoy it.

I'm 44 ( I think) and although I said after the marathon, I was kinda looking at more, how to keep going and start adding mileage, if that makes sense. But anyway - I think you are right - I was looking at a couple of possible races but maybe I should think in terms of getting capable of the distances first. I'll come back and wait outside the temple after I get the marathon done.

Sending PM with Photoshopped Mens Health pic now... :-)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    P seems to have stopped ...race was won in 23:27
    Polish Rocky pulled up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

P seems to have stopped ...race was won in 23:27
    Polish Rocky pulled up

Is it not still going?
    Only 4 have finished so far and Marshall Ulrich is only 6 positions ahead of Carta.
    http://dbase.adventurecorps.com/results.php?bw_eid=74&bwr=Go

belcarra wrote: »
    Is it not still going?
    Only 4 have finished so far and Marshall Ulrich is only 6 positions ahead of Carta.
    Hence I said stopped as couple of dudes have reach next check point dat were around him at last poi t,hopefully there soon....me fone is focked refreshing it

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Alfie Tupper

I reckon he's still going.
    He reached the 72 mile checkpoint just before 3am and the last person recorded to have passed the next checkpoint at 90 miles took 9 hours to get there.
    Hopefully I'm right.

Is it not still going?
    Just hit the 92 mile c/p at 28 hrs

Just hit the 92 mile c/p at 28 hrs

8.17 for the last section, 18 miles.

8.17 for the last section, 18 miles.
    prob had a kip....

Throo 122 mile cp at 38 hrs....10 miles left

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Throo 122 mile cp at 38 hrs....10 miles left

has the course changed? I thought it used to be a 30 hour cut off?

32 miles in a little under 10 hours now just the small matter of this to go

"Lone Pine (3610′), Mile 122.7 (Time Station #5)
    Lone Pine offers the weary runner and crew all the amenities of a real town: fast food, pizza, restaurants, motels, gas stations, grocery stores, and more, not to mention our Race Headquarters at the Dow Villa. Restock here for the climb to Whitney Portal. Turn left onto the Whitney Portal Road to begin the final leg, the longest and steepest climb of the race (13 miles with 5000 feet of elevation gain). After the turn from Hwy 395, it’s 8.4 miles to Time Station #6, located at the start of the switchbacks. Temperatures will steadily decrease during the ascent (though depending on time of day). Be prepared with extra layers of clothing and rain gear the final few miles; at night it can approach freezing temperature. Be sure your support vehicle is always parked completely off of the road and that you do not block traffic, even for a moment.

Mt. Whitney Trailhead, (8360’), Mile 135
    Congratulations! You have finished the world’s toughest foot race! "

Good luck Carta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Is a Boardie running in this or who are we rooting for???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

menoscemo wrote: »
    has the course changed? I thought it used to be a 30 hour cut off?

Badwater always had a 48 hours cut-off time as far as I can remember back.
    Maybe you're thinking of Western States? They have a 30 hours cut-off.

He has finished but I don't have any times as they aren't updating the results page for some reason.

It is one hell of an achievement, so not only is he a Badwater 135 finisher but as Tommy Tiernan's joke went " more importantly he's from Cork"

Congratulations Carta.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

He's made it into 'de paper' as well today :) Some achievement to complete that event!

CORKMAN COMPLETES 217KM ULTRA MARATHON

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

opus wrote: »
    He's made it into 'de paper' as well today :) Some achievement to complete that event!

CORKMAN COMPLETES 217KM ULTRA MARATHON

Why wasn't that heading just "MAN COMPLETES 217KM ULTRA MARATHON"??:pac:

Well done Carta!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Why wasn't that heading just "MAN COMPLETES 217KM ULTRA MARATHON"??:pac:

Well done Carta!!

Guess he was never a hurler then :rolleyes: ;)

Well done Carta !

Edit - posted before I read the article about his GAA background !

http://www.6jours-de-france.fr/
    Eddie gallen takin on the 6 day race,,,for the craic ,so he says

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The Journal today has another article on Paul Tierney, again leading the headline with "former Cork hurler" instead of say "Top Irish athlete.....".

Pretty comprehensive interview in fairness which does cover his GAA career, some pretty dopey comments, as is par for the course with the Journal "The former Cork hurler who swapped All-Ireland medals for 100-mile trail runs"
    http://the42.ie/2250095
    Imagine the amount of column inches Enduro would have got over years had he played hurling or football at even minor level ☺

Advertisement