Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultra Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Pretty sure when you sign up to TDG, you can expect snowy paths and crap conditions. It's the Alps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That path is nuts in the facebook vid, all the more so given you'd have tired legs at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I've heard rumours that Ireland is applying to hold the 24hrs World championship for 2017 here. Has anyone else heard the same? Does anyone know any details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I've heard rumours that Ireland is applying to hold the 24hrs World championship for 2017 here. Has anyone else heard the same? Does anyone know any details?
    Yea thats true,ed is applying ,hence the change of venue to a 1km+ loop in a nearby park to cater for all the extra runners and an open race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Yea thats true,ed is applying ,hence the change of venue to a 1km+ loop in a nearby park to cater for all the extra runners and an open race

Is that just for 1 year or for good ?

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Afaik its for the next two/3 years ..next years will be a trial run seeing how venue copes with numbers...hopefully it will be as successful as the track one,,,suppose it leaves an opening for another track 24hr elsewhere....

Afaik its for the next two/3 years ..next years will be a trial run seeing how venue copes with numbers...hopefully it will be as successful as the track one,,,suppose it leaves an opening for another track 24hr elsewhere....

I think the track works great. Theres 24 hour races springing up. 1 in edenderry and there was meant to be another 1 somewhere up north but it was cancelled

I think the track works great. Theres 24 hour races springing up. 1 in edenderry and there was meant to be another 1 somewhere up north but it was cancelled

Agree re the track....1 in eden derry is a tri club relay fundraiser challenge thingy with entry for anyonevwho wants to do the whole thing on a 5 ish mile loop out in the sticks,wouldnt say its has been measured or has AAi permit so would prob be like that one that was on in sligo last year

• Advertisement

Agree re the track....1 in eden derry is a tri club relay fundraiser challenge thingy with entry for anyonevwho wants to do the whole thing on a 5 ish mile loop out in the sticks,wouldnt say its has been measured or has AAi permit so would prob be like that one that was on in sligo last year
    What 1 in sligo?

What 1 in sligo?

There was a similar 24 hr relay/team single entry race in sligo last year,...,was burds being accosted by dudes in cars,no jaxes etc ,bit of a shambles race wise aswell..hopefully the eden derry one isnt like it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I think the track works great.

Yeah, I agree with that, I'm not entirely happy with this. The track works great for a 24 hrs race. I found it MUCH harder to get into a proper rhythm in Turin this year.

I was planning on running Belfast next summer as my big target race. I'll think about it some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Djoucer wrote: »
    Pretty sure when you sign up to TDG, you can expect snowy paths and crap conditions. It's the Alps.

Exactly. Alpine conditions in the Alps.

Well, that was an Epic.

Some running out of Dan. To see an Irishman competing at the head end of the race against the best in the world is just bloody brilliant. Dan is our most under-rated ultrarunner. He should be a legend (he is to me!). Gutted for him that injury pulled him out. He'll be back and he'll be stronger again.

I had a real up and down race in all senses. Running in the top 10 for the first half of the race was a fantastic experience. I was running strong and well on my own targets. Unfortunately I got hit by some kind of flu-like illness that drained me of my power. Had to (almost literally) crawl up to the next aid station and take a 8 hour sleep (probably close to 10 hours stop time altogether) before getting going again. So considering all that I was delighted to make it back to 30th place and still be the first English speaker to finish!

Mrs Enduro got over 100km in before missing a cut-off, but more importantly had a very enjoyable race, soaking up the gnarliness of it all.

El-presidente, Richard Nunan also had a good outing and would undoubtedly have made his way further up the field if the race hadn't been halted.

TDG really is a classic. It's the best running race I've ever done. Kick's UTMB's ass big time, and that's saying something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Spartathlon starts tomorrow. I started a thread to track the lads here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97137836

For anyone who enjoyed following my progress in the Spine Race earlier this year, I'll be giving a (free!) talk in the Great Outdoors in Dublin next Wednesday evening. Places can be booked here. Plenty of Q&A time afterwards as well. This could be considered the live version of my long delayed race report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Keith Whyte won the Somme 100k today with a new Irish record of 7:02:26.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

ger664 wrote: »
    Keith Whyte won the Somme 100k today with a new Irish record of 7:02:26.

That's 3 hour mara pace for 100km!

Just looking ahead for some races in 2016. Lavaredo pre-registration has just opened up, its listed as being a WSER qualifier and if completed gets you 4 ITRA points. Are ITRA points the same as UTMB points? :confused:

Looking on the UTMB website, the 2016 Lavaredo is not currently listed as a UTMB qualifying race.

Can someone explain the meaning of ITRA points and how can they be used?

Just looking ahead for some races in 2016. Lavaredo pre-registration has just opened up, its listed as being a WSER qualifier and if completed gets you 4 ITRA points. Are ITRA points the same as UTMB points? :confused:

Looking on the UTMB website, the 2016 Lavaredo is not currently listed as a UTMB qualifying race.

Can someone explain the meaning of ITRA points and how can they be used?

Laravado, WSER and UTMB are all in the ITRA world series, so I would imagine that they can all be used to qualify for each other. Yes ITRA points are the system being used to qualify for UTMB.

• Advertisement

Don Hannon headed off this morning to do the full Wicklow way out and back. Best of luck to him.

http://racedrone.net/event/wicklow-way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Don Hannon headed off this morning to do the full Wicklow way out and back. Best of luck to him.

Best of luck Don!
    He was agonisingly close to completing it last time so hope it works out this time. Probably not the best time of year but I guess he just felt he was in the shape for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

belcarra wrote: »
    Best of luck Don!
    He was agonisingly close to completing it last time so hope it works out this time. Probably not the best time of year but I guess he just felt he was in the shape for it?

How does this work? The lad goes out and runs it on his own yet he has a chip/drone!!!! or something.

And out and back? Is that where the 254km is coming into it?

I have no idea of distances involved in TWW. Explain please folk.

Itziger wrote: »
    How does this work? The lad goes out and runs it on his own yet he has a chip/drone!!!! or something.

And out and back? Is that where the 254km is coming into it?

I have no idea of distances involved in TWW. Explain please folk.
    Pretty much as you say Itzy.
    As far as I'm aware Don is the only person to try it before. Not sure about the tracking system. Sounds like a great piece of kit for trail running though!

belcarra wrote: »
    Pretty much as you say Itzy.
    As far as I'm aware Don is the only person to try it before. Not sure about the tracking system. Sounds like a great piece of kit for trail running though!

Hey lad, you doing Valencia later this month?? They've taken out the 'hills'!!;)

The Duke was telling a few good stories about you after 5 or 6 pints of ale in NY!

Itziger wrote: »
    Hey lad, you doing Valencia later this month?? They've taken out the 'hills'!!;)

The Duke was telling a few good stories about you after 5 or 6 pints of ale in NY!

Whisper it quietly on this thread but I'm focusing on 5k training until the end of January before ramping things up again. Definitely need to return to Valencia sometime soon!

I wouldn't mind what Stephen says at the best of times, never mind after a few pints!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Any update?

Any update?

I just clicked on the link and he seems to be halfway back. God only knows what a good time would be on such a mental distance and terrain but the fact that he's still going must be positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Seems to be hitting Glendalough now on the way back - any idea how much further. Absolute dog of a day here - hope it's a bit better in the mountains !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

kit3 wrote: »
    Seems to be hitting Glendalough now on the way back - any idea how much further. Absolute dog of a day here - hope it's a bit better in the mountains !

It rarely is! It's about 33 miles back to Marley from Glendalough so I recon he has about 40 left. He should have the gale on his back for most of the way. Underfoot conditions can't be good, it's milling rain here in Wicklow at the moment and has been for hours.

Edit: I hear Don is organising a Full Wicklow Way race, anybody know any details?

Advertisement