Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeding 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Why the ph2ylosith gg.i priced and looked at it when doing my reseed 2 weeks ago and couldn't justify the price 245 a tonne.200 kg per acre at reseed and 100 kg every year then.put out 2 tonne ground lime at 23 euro an acre spread and I'll get 4/5 years before it'll need any again

I thought the rule of thumb is 1t/yr?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Why the phylosith gg.i priced and looked at it when doing my reseed 2 weeks ago and couldn't justify the price 245 a tonne.200 kg per acre at reseed and 100 kg every year then.put out 2 tonne ground lime at 23 euro an acre spread and I'll get 4/5 years before it'll need any again

Cause I have it in the yard lol.

Ah no we like it here. Really did alot for the soil structure imo.
    Usually at reseeding we go with 100 kg and 50kg every jan then.
    Soil resting again this jan but 9h was still at 6.5 lwhen we tested 2 yrs ago

We're getting it for 220/t

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

just do it wrote: »
    I thought the rule of thumb is 1t/yr?

1/2 to 3/4 tonne for grazing and one average cut silage per year is what I work off

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Does grass seed have a best before date? I got 10 acres worth of seed a couple of weeks ago but the land I reclaimed is still not dry enough to seed and it wont be for another couple of weeks. Bulldozer left if very raw.

I am wondering how long would he seed keep? Say if things got really bad and I did not get it seeded until Sept / October would this seed be still ok to use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭frogloch

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Does grass seed have a best before date? I got 10 acres worth of seed a couple of weeks ago but the land I reclaimed is still not dry enough to seed and it wont be for another couple of weeks. Bulldozer left if very raw.

I am wondering how long would he seed keep? Say if things got really bad and I did not get it seeded until Sept / October would this seed be still ok to use?

Keep a year or a little over it as long as you keep it dry and stop moisture getting near it, otherwise will start to go mouldy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Anyone know if it OK to power harrow or rotavate after spreading grass seed.
    A lot of grass and trash on ground that seed was spread on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭White Clover

djmc wrote: »

No it would Bury seed too deep. Have u a chain Harrow ? This would gather the trash. Go over and back across the field and lift at the headlands you would have to gather from here or push up against ditch. Ideally should be done before seeding. Never had that problem but we sometimes use this method if a lot of stones on top of ground

Don't have chain harrow and would be worried it would remove the seed spread on grass and trash at this stage
    Also it wet heavy ground on hill so is not really able to travel with tractor at the moment.
    If it stays dry for another day or 2 might be able to roll or rotavate.
    It seems to have a lot more trash now after drying out a bit.

Don't have chain harrow and would be worried it would remove the seed spread on grass and trash at this stage
    Also it wet heavy ground on hill so is not really able to travel with tractor at the moment.

shur the rotavator will put the seed down 6 inches. I'd let the trash there before going near it with that. If wet, the roller won't improve things either. Only leave tracks trying to drag it around

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Roll - roll - roll - or rain rain rain -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info might try to roll the dry parts and hopefully the rain will do the rest.
    Thought about buying or making a roller for the quad but don't think it would have any impact weight wise.

Leave it alone! It's wet ground so seed will take. I'd seed take on headlands of a freshly cut silage field which had no cultivation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Did you stick out any lime, decomposing trash will reduce germination if it stays wet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

Out of interest, what's the going rate for spreading a ton of lime?
    Getting quoted €25

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zetor 4911

Hi,
    Reseeded a field last week sprayed off about 6 weeks ago. Applied lime then power harrowed and put seed in. Spread fertiliser 2 days later and then rolled. Went to look at it this morning and grass starting to come up but the field it a mess as something has dug it up. As I did not plough there is a far bit of trash on surface and this trash was dug up. Would it be birds that is doing this? Anyone with any experience of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

jfh wrote: »
    Out of interest, what's the going rate for spreading a ton of lime?
    Getting quoted €25

Supplied and spread <€20 , neighbours wanted €24.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

td5man wrote: »
    Supplied and spread <€20 , neighbours wanted €24.

Where about is that?
    Good value. I'm getting quotes of mcgraths in clare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Where about is that?

North East family rate.

Where about is that?

Sounds about right. Was €20 before Whelans shut and when that happened it jumped to €22. Last year was €24.

10 days
    20150725_061302.jpg

20150725_061324.jpg

• Advertisement

Some more
    20150725_203920.jpg

20150725_204056.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Lads,

What fertiliser are ye putting down with the reseed? I'd usually go with 3 X 10.10.20 but as I'm index 1 for both P and K it think is might be

1 X 0-16-0
    2 X 10.10.20

Is there a danger lashing out P during the summer with cattle grazing in a few weeks, could too much be toxic?

Lads,

What fertiliser are ye putting down with the reseed? I'd usually go with 3 X 10.10.20 but as I'm index 1 for both P and K it think is might be

1 X 0-16-0
    2 X 10.10.20

Is there a danger lashing out P during the summer with cattle grazing in a few weeks, could too much be toxic?

I wouldn't think so count. I'd even go heavier than what you're thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Lads,

1 X 0-16-0
    2 X 10.10.20

If you are index 1 in both P and K - why go with 0-16-0?

Would you not be better off going with 10-10-20 - as you have both P & K, for almost the same price? (given you need both?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Lads,

1 X 0-16-0
    2 X 10.10.20

Go with 4 bags of 0 10 20.
    That's what we do here. Easy way of building indexs

Reseeded 8 acres 3 weeks ago .4*10 10 20 and 2 tonne lime per acre .spread 30 units urea on it this am.flying out of the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Reseeded 8 acres 3 weeks ago .4*10 10 20 and 2 tonne lime per acre .spread 30 units urea on it this am.flying out of the ground

I taught you weren't to spread urea so soon after ground lime

Fook ur correct didn't even think of it,aghh bol1x .sure it's out now nothing can be done .

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

If you are index 1 in both P and K - why go with 0-16-0?

Would you not be better off going with 10-10-20 - as you have both P & K, for almost the same price? (given you need both?)

Thanks John. P is more important for root growth in the first year. It would be getting plenty K next spring as they're both silage fields.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Thanks John. P is more important for root growth in the first year. It would be getting plenty K next spring as they're both silage fields.

I know and I bought 0-16-0 as I was index 1 for P as well (although index 4 for K strangely)

But was sorry I didn't just get more 10-10-20 in the end, it seemed more cost effective, as the bit of N would have been good too.

After going with the 0-16-0 in some fields, the difference in the first spring grass was unreal...

Advertisement