Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeding 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Going to burn off two acres next wk with roundup. How soon can I give it dung??

Was thinking:

Spray
    Heavy coat of fym
    Four bags of gran lime
    Two runs of disc harrow
    Rotavator thats on deaths door (as contractor refuses to use power harrow as our ground is so rocky)
    Grass seed
    6bags 0-10-20
    Big bush
    Roll

Any ideas of good mix to use on light very free draining soil? Also like the idea of clover in the mix as trying to let the clover do the N bit from april to before closing when I might put out some can. Mainly use 10-10-20 or 18-6-12 S5% on other reseeded ground in summer and doesn't seem to affect the clover.

Oh and I forgot about 4 trailers of stones if yer free don't be shy!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

But was sorry I didn't just get more 10-10-20 in the end, it seemed more cost effective, as the bit of N would have been good too.

I have found in the past that anything more than 30 units of N is a disaster as it drives the new grass to quickly. Put out 3 x 18-6-12 before as it was in the shed, never again. I had silage after a few weeks as I couldn't graze it with broken weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Going to burn off two acres next wk with roundup. How soon can I give it dung??

Was thinking:

Spray
    Heavy coat of fym
    Four bags of gran lime
    Two runs of disc harrow
    Rotavator thats on deaths door (as contractor refuses to use power harrow as our ground is so rocky)
    Grass seed
    6bags 0-10-20
    Big bush
    Roll

Any ideas of good mix to use on light very free draining soil? Also like the idea of clover in the mix as trying to let the clover do the N bit from april to before closing when I might put out some can. Mainly use 10-10-20 or 18-6-12 S5% on other reseeded ground in summer and doesn't seem to affect the clover.

Would you need the rotavator after the disc harrow? Esp if the ground is stoney?

Reseeding 2 acres myself at the min, contractor said to out out 6 bags granlime, as there was a good bit of thrash... But you mightn't have the same issue...

I have found in the past that anything more than 30 units of N is a disaster as it drives the new grass to quickly. Put out 3 x 18-6-12 before as it was in the shed, never again. I had silage after a few weeks as I couldn't graze it with broken weather.

Ah, ok. We have the opposite.
    Dry enough ground, and sheep...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Reseeded 8 acres 3 weeks ago .4*10 10 20 and 2 tonne lime per acre .spread 30 units urea on it this am.flying out of the ground

What varieties did you use mj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Would you need the rotavator after the disc harrow? Esp if the ground is stoney?

Reseeding 2 acres myself at the min, contractor said to out out 6 bags granlime, as there was a good bit of thrash... But you mightn't have the same issue...

6 bags of gran lime :eek: 3 would be plenty.
    what's the ph atm

Might try it without that and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Robson99 wrote: »
    What varieties did you use mj

6 kg Tyrella,4 kg abberchoice 4 kg Aston energy no clover

6 kg Tyrella,4 kg abberchoice 4 kg Aston energy no clover

Would you not change it up.a little and choose different varieties. Tyrella has been well outclassed now
    Did you not use that mix last yr aswell?
    Clanrye going in here with aberherald clover @.7kg/ac when we decide what to do with this field

• Advertisement

Would you not change it up.a little and choose different varieties. Tyrella has been well outclassed now
    Did you not use that mix last yr aswell?
    Clanrye going in here with aberherald clover @.7kg/ac when we decide what to do with this field

Nope it's doing the business gg so no need to change .i like Tyrella great for early and late season growth

Nope it's doing the business gg so no need to change .i like Tyrella great for early and late season growth

Dunluce abetmagic and abergain well ahead of it mj.
    Try one if them instead of tyrella next time.

Dunluce and abbergsin both tetraploids ,not a fan and dunluce heads too early 30/5 .abbermagic looks ok but also heads too early 30/5

2 tonne ground lime better and cheaper in long run .6 bags seems very excessive

Dunluce and abbergsin both tetraploids ,not a fan and dunluce heads too early 30/5 .abbermagic looks ok but also heads too early 30/5

Dry ground? Should be no issue. I've abergain on its on and think it has very ground cover. Even though only sown this yr I know.
    Have it in 3 paddocks along with aberchoice and tyrella but the abergain on its own is king in my book grazed 3 times this month while other reseeds are 14 days

Dry ground? Should be no issue. I've abergain on its on and it's very think ground cover.
    Have it in 3 paddocks along with aberchoice and tyrella but there abergain on its own is king in my book

I know it's going to well for you but id never put in a single variety on its own .way too risky .seen a few different places that put in monoculture tetraploid grasses and not impressed ,way too open and I reckon they won't last as well as a mix if cows poach or damage it in wet weather .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I have 4 acres to reseed going to use gran lime at seeding but will be spreading ground lime later on. How much gran lime should I use?

6 bags of gran lime :eek: 3 would be plenty.
    what's the ph atm

There was a lot of weeds came in it, cos I was waiting so long for the contractor to come :mad: So there is a good bit of stuff to rot down.

Dont know what the pH is (I took soil samples, and have consistently forgotten to send them off for weeks) :(

Ground lime not an option really - I dunno would a lime spreader travel it, the granlime will be put out with a quad. Plus, I wouldn't have need for a load (20 ton) of lime... so the gran lime suits me.

td5man wrote: »
    I have 4 acres to reseed going to use gran lime at seeding but will be spreading ground lime later on. How much gran lime should I use?

What's its ph?

td5man wrote: »

2 bags per acre regardless of ph .2 tonne of ground lime then later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

2 bags of gram lime gone out here and plan on 0.5-0.75t of ground lime in a few weeks on reseeded heavy land. Planning on applying this level of ground lime for a few years in a row and see how it goes.

Good silage ground will be getting 2t this September and soil test all in early spring.

Rang Moregrass today and explained what sort of ground we have light free draining that likes wettish and mild conditions or it scorches in a week of sun. He rang back and said ironically it is a wet land mix that will suit ya the best. As I'm not an expert what do ye reckon?

MG50 11.5kg acre bag- 3.5kg Blog,1.5kg Elital, 2kg Foxtrot, 2.5kg Delphin, (all PRG's)1.5kg Comer (Timothy) 0.5kg coated clover blend

Rang Moregrass today and explained what sort of ground we have light free draining that likes wettish and mild conditions or it scorches in a week of sun. He rang back and said ironically it is a wet land mix that will suit ya the best. As I'm not an expert what do ye reckon?

MG50 11.5kg acre bag- 3.5kg Blog,1.5kg Elital, 2kg Foxtrot, 2.5kg Delphin, (all PRG's)1.5kg Comer (Timothy) 0.5kg coated clover blend
    never heard of the 1st 3. Personally o like to stick the DAFM recommended list

That sounds nuts putting a wetland mix into dry land .if twas me I'd be going 50/50 diploid tetraploid .also 11.5,kg ain't enough .13/14 kg needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Agree with mj, if you aren't spreading max N perhaps include clover in the mix as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Ring 2 more suppliers, don't just rely on one. I've received good advice from McGuiness previously

That sounds nuts putting a wetland mix into dry land .if twas me I'd be going 50/50 diploid tetraploid .also 11.5,kg ain't enough .13/14 kg needed

Thats what I thought. Going to ringa a few other lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭joeyboy12345

A wet paddock i drained and reseeded is due for a post emergence spray,it has clover in it so usually use underclear,but i see a few rushes poping up their head again,what will kill these?it got lime at seeding but will need more again next year and we have drained it,how sucessful it will be time will tell!any sugestions?

Milked out wrote: »
    Agree with mj, if you aren't spreading max N perhaps include clover in the mix as well

That's what I said to him. He didn't really have an answer. I asked could another kg of clover be added to the mix and he said he couldn't vary from what goes into the bags. And I can always set clover again
    If I wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

That's what I said to him. He didn't really have an answer. I asked could another kg of clover be added to the mix and he said he couldn't vary from what goes into the bags. And I can always set clover again
    If I wanted.

Seeddirect.ie /McGuinness will put what ever you want in a mix and will give you good advice re what to use.

Advertisement