Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeding 2015

Options
  • 20-06-2015 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

Haven't spotted a thread like this this year so here goes.

2 self made mixes for grazing land: a good land mix and a heavy land mix.

6JFEBF.jpg

6iRrLd.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Got a similar heavy ground mix last year. Really persistent grass and hard to break the skin after it. How much acre that mix ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Abergain monoculture. Sprayed for weeds on monday. Will be grazed in next few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

just do it wrote: »
    Haven't spotted a thread like this this year so here goes.

2 self made mixes for grazing land: a good land mix and a heavy land mix.

6JFEBF.jpg

6iRrLd.jpg

Have 4 of those seeds in monocoltures. Not a massive fan of glenveagh so far, cows haven't taken fully to it yet.

Drumbo is a very good grass seed, good digestibility for a diploid and cows seem to like it.

Aberchoice is slow germinating but very good summer growth

Abergain is a super grass. Bit open and I'd question its longevity but cows absolutely love it and it grows some tonnage.

How they preform as a mix i have no idea. Too many variables

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Got a similar heavy ground mix last year. Really persistent grass and hard to break the skin after it. How much acre that mix ?

Probably work out at about 13.2kg/ac. The 2 reseeds I've done so far have shown the importance of post reseed management. Drove one on and it's flying. First one didn't get grazed frequently enough and hasn't performed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

Probably work out at about 13.2kg/ac. The 2 reseeds I've done so far have shown the importance of post reseed management. Drove one on and it's flying. First one didn't get grazed frequently enough and hasn't performed as well.

Who did the mix for you JDI ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

Anyone get the seeds of farm direct.
    Saw them at the sheep expo yesterday & looked decant, don't have the mixes to hand now

Robson99 wrote: »
    Who did the mix for you JDI ?

Seeddirect.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gazahayes

Is it gone too late to spray off for a reseed or should I wait till September time? Field is full of thistles and old grasses topped it the other day.

gazahayes wrote: »
    Is it gone too late to spray off for a reseed or should I wait till September time? Field is full of thistles and old grasses topped it the other day.

Fire ahead unless are in the southeast of the country which may get little rain. Have 10 acres to do in the next fortnight here

I'm reseeding now to allow a few grazings before winter. Reseeded 2 years ago in September and didn't get parts of it grazed till late the following spring. It is no where near as good quality as the reseed I did last June.

• Advertisement

Hope to spray off 2 fields next month depending on weather at time if course

Hope to spray off 2 fields next month depending on weather at time if course

You'd a slow reseed to take I'd I remember rightly? How's it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

9 acres to do here,it's a plot I have on year to year lease but has rag worth ,and thistles scattered through it .sprayed it with d50 after last grazing to knock rag worth mainly ,got a good kill on thistles also..graze again end of week then leave for a few days and in with roundup .14 kg per acre then of Tyrella ,abbergain and Aston energy mix

It's better than what was in it ill put it that way.
    ah its okay. Has grown 7t already but alot of meadow grass is in the base due it not getting going quick enough and smothering it. It won't last 10 yrs I'd say any way

mahoney_j wrote: »
    9 acres to do here,it's a plot I have on year to year lease but has rag worth ,and thistles scattered through it .sprayed it with d50 after last grazing to knock rag worth mainly ,got a good kill on thistles also..graze again end of week then leave for a few days and in with roundup .14 kg per acre then of Tyrella ,abbergain and Aston energy mix
    Will you try direct drill?
    Very happy with mine really cone on in last 10 days. Will use it in next 2 fields. Good level fields

Was thinking of going with the following for a grazing mix

Abergain. 4kg
    Aston energy 3kg
    Aberchoice 4kg
    Drumbo. 3kg

14kg per acre. Thoughts on the above mix would be appreciated as I usually go with a pre mix when reseeding. Beef system

That's thus yrs heifers grazing top half if it.
    Was bales taken off it 3 wks ago. Cover of 900 on it now

That's thus yrs heifers grazing top half if it.
    Was bales taken off it 3 wks ago. Cover of 900 on it now

You're only teasing us now telling us its not great ;).

Will you try direct drill?
    Very happy with mine really cone on in last 10 days. Will use it in next 2 fields. Good level fields

Yep 2 runs of ripper then in with one pass and roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

How much per acre does it work out at, all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

When u say ripper, do u mean some type sub soiler/mole plough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Not much point in spraying if ur just after topping it, u need a bit of leaf to take in the round-up. Remember it's the last grass that comes up is the one u want to kill the most

Abergain. 4kg
    Aston energy 3kg
    Aberchoice 4kg
    Drumbo. 3kg

14kg per acre. Thoughts on the above mix would be appreciated as I usually go with a pre mix when reseeding. Beef system

Anyone????

Anyone????

Yep good mix. Cows love Aston energy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Abergain. 4kg
    Aston energy 3kg
    Aberchoice 4kg
    Drumbo. 3kg

Great mix will take some grazing and would love loads of N.

I'm wondering about the persistence of all these new seeds.

The old boys Cancan and Navan will be hard beaten

Anyone????
    All 4 are ones I'd earmarked as being good. All late and within 5-7 days of each other? 30% tetraploid? Looks like a mix for good land.

Dunedin wrote: »
    How much per acre does it work out at, all in.

2 runs of ripper and one pass 70 euro/acre

Great mix will take some grazing and would love loads of N.

I'm wondering about the persistence of all these new seeds.

The old boys Cancan and Navan will be hard beaten

I was just saying the same thing to dad last week. Field that was swt aside and sown 10 yr ago here growing as much so far as recent reseeds.
    Think dad said it was 2 varietys in it.
    One was Portstewart but he can't remember what the other one was

All 4 are ones I'd earmarked as being good. All late and within 5-7 days of each other? 30% tetraploid? Looks like a mix for good land.

Think its 50%tet 50%dip. Will be used for fattening cattle. Not going to bother with clover as I don't think its worth the hassle. Not sure whether to use kintyre or Aston energy. Hope the sward wont be too open.

Thanks for the replies lads

• Advertisement

Think its 50%tet 50%dip. Will be used for fattening cattle. Not going to bother with clover as I don't think its worth the hassle. Not sure whether to use kintyre or Aston energy. Hope the sward wont be too open.

Thanks for the replies lads

Seen a monoculture if Kintyre in early Feb. Was closed up at 800 opened at 2000.
    Lovely grass with a nice wide leaf. Grew 20t for that man the previous yr.

Advertisement