Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reseeding 2015

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

milligan2 wrote: »
    Was to reseed 7 acres here in the south west but the weather has been too wet,let the cows graze it for the last week without spraying because I got sick of waiting for a dry spell.
    Could I spray and reseed after the cows finish or would I have to wait for fresh regrowth?will be power harrowing

I think it'd be best leave it recover for 5days or so& then you'll have some regrowth. Spray should work better then. It depends how tight you graze with cows.
    You'll need leafs to ensure spray is effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

milligan2 wrote: »
    Was to reseed 7 acres here in the south west but the weather has been too wet,let the cows graze it for the last week without spraying because I got sick of waiting for a dry spell.
    Could I spray and reseed after the cows finish or would I have to wait for fresh regrowth?will be power harrowing

We usually spray after cows gave it a tight graze worked grand
    You could direct drill and spray 3-4 days after sowing with out effecting seed

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Got around 7 acres in there on Saturday just gone. It was disced early on Tuesday but we got a lot of rain afterwards. Got the manure out, stones picked and rolled just before we got a light shower in the afternoon.

But the crows have the a lot of sods turned in one field, it actually looks like we haven't rolled it at all! Will it slow down the grass seeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

raypallas wrote: »
    Got around 7 acres in there on Saturday just gone. It was disced early on Tuesday but we got a lot of rain afterwards. Got the manure out, stones picked and rolled just before we got a light shower in the afternoon.

But the crows have the a lot of sods turned in one field, it actually looks like we haven't rolled it at all! Will it slow down the grass seeds?

Always happens with discing don't worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

am I too late yet for a few acres of reseeding ? could spray it tomorrow how long again before it can be greased ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

am I too late yet for a few acres of reseeding ? could spray it tomorrow how long again before it can be greased ?

You could chance it, you'd want to leave it two weeks atleast after spraying. If it was dry ground i would. Have put in seed in the first week of September before on dry ground and worked out okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Could be grazed after 4 or 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

td5man wrote: »
    Seeddirect.ie /McGuinness will put what ever you want in a mix and will give you good advice re what to use.

Got onto seeddirect.ie. very helpful fella and spent plenty of time giving advice. Went through what I have and that I was going to be looking for clover to do as much summer N as possible.
    Anyone have any experience of the following?

Glenveagh 6kg
    Aston Energy 8kg
    Avoca 1kg
    Chieftain 1/2 kg

Sowed on August 23rd would it be ok to spray now with mildish days and cold nights or am i as well to let weanlings graze it back in two wks and leave spray until spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭john p mc g

I've 2 acres that I drained and levelled wasn't grazed in years it's boggy ground but dry would I get away with a bit of seed on it now it's in glas for permanent pasture so I can't burn and reseed it I prayed it for weeds and rushes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Sowed on August 23rd would it be ok to spray now with mildish days and cold nights or am i as well to let weanlings graze it back in two wks and leave spray until spring?

I sprayed rushes a week ago and got a good kill I think. They are starting to dry up.

I sprayed rushes a week ago and got a good kill I think. They are starting to dry up.

Might chance it tomorrow so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I've 2 acres that I drained and levelled wasn't grazed in years it's boggy ground but dry would I get away with a bit of seed on it now it's in glas for permanent pasture so I can't burn and reseed it I prayed it for weeds and rushes

Glas hasn't started yet

Ready for grazing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Ready for grazing :-)

Looks superb, great satisfaction in a well done reseed. Graze immediately though, weather looks broken for the foreseeable future with a nice drop of rain coming monday. The quicker ur in and out the better, would be a shame to poach it.

Looks superb, great satisfaction in a well done reseed. Graze immediately though, weather looks broken for the foreseeable future with a nice drop of rain coming monday. The quicker ur in and out the better, would be a shame to poach it.

Light April sucks won't do too much damage. Dry as a cork even aftere all the rain last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Would you need the rotavator after the disc harrow? Esp if the ground is stoney?

Reseeding 2 acres myself at the min, contractor said to out out 6 bags granlime, as there was a good bit of thrash... But you mightn't have the same issue...
    6 bags of gran lime :eek: 3 would be plenty.
    what's the ph atm
    mahoney_j wrote: »
    2 tonne ground lime better and cheaper in long run .6 bags seems very excessive

I know this is an old thread, but I set off some soil samples (finally)

2014 reseed
    - got 3 ton ground lime / acre
    - pH = 6.3
    - Cost ~26euro

2015 reseed
    - Got 3 bags granlime / acre
    - pH = 5.2
    - Cost ~75

EDIT : had the wrong pH for each field

Both fields were reclaimed, and were mainly ferns for as long as I can remember.
    Now - I know it isn't 100% comparing like with like, as we don't know the pH starting off, I imagine they wouldn't have been that different to be honest...

I am a bit disappointed the pH is so low in the one that got the granlime.

We'll see what more granlime does this year, as the the field reseeded in 2015 isnt travelable with a lime spreader (the granlime was put out with a quadbike)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I know this is an old thread, but I set off some soil samples (finally)

2014 reseed
    - got 3 ton ground lime / acre
    - pH = 5.2
    - Cost ~26euro

2015 reseed
    - Got 3 bags granlime / acre
    - pH = 6.3
    - Cost ~75

Both fields were reclaimed, and were mainly ferns for as long as I can remember.
    Now - I know it isn't 100% comparing like with like, as we don't know the pH starting off, I imagine they wouldn't have been that different to be honest...

I am a bit disappointed the pH is so low in the one that got the granlime.

We'll see what more granlime does this year, as the the field reseeded in 2015 isnt travelable with a lime spreader (the granlime was put out with a quadbike)

the target is 6.5 so the 2015 field is in better condition than the 2014 one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

ganmo wrote: »
    the target is 6.5 so the 2015 field is in better condition than the 2014 one

Ah balls...

Yeah ganmo - I entered em wrong - the lower pH was after the 3 bags granlime...

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Ok, so got the below results back from a piece of land I reclaimed 2 years ago. Pleasantly surprised that everything looks so good.

PH – 6.7
    P – Index 4
    K – Index 3

Couple of questions I would have would be around the PH level of 6.7 - I know this is just slightly above the recommended level so is there anything I need to do/not do etc.? I'll take a guess that I don't need lime...:rolleyes:

In relation to the P index of 4 again my question is should I be doing anything specific to lower this/counteract it etc? Obviously don’t plan on horsing out loads of P anytime soon but was planning on spreading 2k gallons of slurry/acre once it is grazed and then maybe a bag or two or 18-6-12 over the Summer? Does this sound okay?

The main reason I am asking is because I have not been too happy with the grass since it was (re)seeded. A lot of it is best described as ‘strawy’, kind of dry stuff and not what I would expect from a reseed. Now I probably left it go too long before I grazed it after the reseed so maybe that has something to do with it. Anyone got any ideas on what might be wrong or what I could do to correct it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Robson99

Parishlad wrote: »
    Ok, so got the below results back from a piece of land I reclaimed 2 years ago. Pleasantly surprised that everything looks so good.

PH – 6.7
    P – Index 4
    K – Index 3

Couple of questions I would have would be around the PH level of 6.7 - I know this is just slightly above the recommended level so is there anything I need to do/not do etc.? I'll take a guess that I don't need lime...:rolleyes:

In relation to the P index of 4 again my question is should I be doing anything specific to lower this/counteract it etc? Obviously don’t plan on horsing out loads of P anytime soon but was planning on spreading 2k gallons of slurry/acre once it is grazed and then maybe a bag or two or 18-6-12 over the Summer? Does this sound okay?

The main reason I am asking is because I have not been too happy with the grass since it was (re)seeded. A lot of it is best described as ‘strawy’, kind of dry stuff and not what I would expect from a reseed. Now I probably left it go too long before I grazed it after the reseed so maybe that has something to do with it. Anyone got any ideas on what might be wrong or what I could do to correct it?
    What grass seed did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Robson99 wrote: »
    What grass seed did you use?

It was MoreGrass...MG10 I think....silage and grazing mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Hi all,

Put in some grass and oats beginning of may with jntention to cut for bales in july. Spread 2 bags 10-10-20 at time but wondering should i spread more now. I had planned on spreading 4 bags 10-10-20 at the time but thought i should split it. So now looking at it i am not sure if it needs more

Anyone do something similar and spreadmore feet to drive it on

Advertisement