Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

Agree won't do it in one yr will rise it up over a few yrs and see how it goes and find that 'sweet spot'
    We'll be stocked at 3.6 next yr on what we always graze and silage ground to fall back on if it's too high

3.6 is mp and not whole farm sr? would be slow to push overall past the 2.5-2.8 but you'd know better how far you can take your farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

rangler1 wrote: »
    Very different regime now with quotas gone.....was it you that claimed you were milking 35% more cows for the same amount of money.
    It gets to the stage where it's no longer worth the bother

35% more milk.
    Won't make that decision on one yr.
    We all knew what we were heading into but still have faith we'll get back to a stable market paying 34c base

browned wrote: »
    3.6 is mp and not whole farm sr? would be slow to push overall past the 2.5-2.8 but you'd know better how far you can take your farm.

Just MP be about 2.5 overs next yr I think.
    have a bank of silage atm that will help us out
    were not using our full N Allowance either. Will next yr though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Agree won't do it in one yr will rise it up over a few yrs and see how it goes and find that 'sweet spot'
    We'll be stocked at 3.6 next yr on what we always graze and silage ground to fall back on if it's too high

Standard stocking rate here with 2 cut silage ground closed is 4.4 . autumn and spring silage ground is grazed then. Have only made 60 bales off grazing ground this summer. Will be getting ground ready now to join milking block but have dropped leased ground which means heifers at home for a year or two anyway so ill have to see how things aee going as I progress. Things to watch out for would be I am supplementing more with ration than others would be and also if weather goes against you stock may have to be housed earlier to drop stocking rate which means having enuv feed on board over and above standard winter. We.re also buying in a fair chunk of winter feed requirement

Just MP be about 2.5 overs next yr I think.
    have a bank of silage atm that will help us out
    were not using our full N Allowance either. Will next yr though

If you can do it with the result of more money per hour worked for you, I cant see an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Nothing wrong with being ambitious mj
    Isn't jim delahunty and noel o toole doing it.
    If I can grow the grass no reason why I can't stock at that

Fully agree but just urge caution going over 3.4/3.5 permanent on mp is going to leave you on a fine line. Between feast and famine in an average year ,at shoulders etc
    Basing decisions on an exceptional year like this and on guys at very top of game def needs caution .delahunty at 3.7 is on a very fine line with very high demand all year even he will admit a St of 3.5 would suit him better and O toole imports massive amounts of bought in bales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

35% more milk.
    We all knew what we were heading into but still have faith we'll get back to a stable market paying 34c base

Will a 34c base not just drive expansion and more new entrants with the usual result, most people based their decision to expand/enter dairying on 30c

rangler1 wrote: »
    Will a 34c base not just drive expansion and more new entrants with the usual result, most people based their decision to expand/enter dairying on 30c

Banks stress testing at 26/27 .recently whilst applying for a loan banks told me my cop at 27 cent not inc labour was high compared to other apicants .scratching my head I asked what sort of figures other lads have .answer was between 18/24 .dont know who lads are trying to kid quoting figures that low

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Banks stress testing at 26/27 .recently whilst applying for a loan banks told me my cop at 27 cent not inc labour was high compared to other apicants .scratching my head I asked what sort of figures other lads have .answer was between 18/24 .dont know who lads are trying to kid quoting figures that low

There were common costs of 18.76c/l quoted on a farm walk in Tipperary recently. Not the same as cop but could the bank manager have been mixing them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,201 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Most people have no clue what it costs them to produce a litre of milk

• Advertisement

There were common costs of 18.76c/l quoted on a farm walk in Tipperary recently. Not the same as cop but could the bank manager have been mixing them up?

Nope def full cop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

35% more milk.

Out of interest GG where do you get the figure of a 34c base - as opposed to, say, 32c, or 36c?

whelan2 wrote: »

+1000

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Nope def full cop

Hard to imagine any that low in Ireland. Was talking to guy back from tour in states cop on a indoor dairy was at 18c/l and grass based system 14c/l. Two exceptional farms and not the norm over there But scary figures all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

whelan2 wrote: »

What would the average cost of borrowings be amongst most dairy farmers in the south in cent per litres terms?

Was talking to a few dairy men here about milk prices and costs of production and they reckoned average borrowings/interest costs are approx 7ppl or roughly a quarter of cop.

Wouldn't be that high would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

was this on a farm in the ballybacon/Ardfinnan area? beside the church?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭stanflt

You can work on sr on milking platform of around 5 lu ha till around early June

After that I would recommend max of 3-3.2

By all accounts the men on the grassland walk are at the very top of there game and don't miss a trick grass wise- not everyone including myself could maintain their standards

kowtow wrote: »
    Out of interest GG where do you get the figure of a 34c base - as opposed to, say, 32c, or 36c?

Just pulled it out of the air. Could easily have said 32c

stanflt wrote: »
    You can work on sr on milking platform of around 5 lu ha till around early June

After that I would recommend max of 3-3.2

By all accounts the men on the grassland walk are at the very top of there game and don't miss a trick grass wise- not everyone including myself could maintain their standards

Agree but it's something to strive for I think.
    The more grass I can grow the better

Panch18 wrote: »
    was this on a farm in the ballybacon/Ardfinnan area? beside the church?

No idea wasnt able to make the walk . The book from the walk was posted as a link on here tho.

• Advertisement

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/poll-dairy-farmers-whats-your-cost-of-production/

Thought ours was high but when I see 27c not inc repayments I reckon were not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Agree but it's something to strive for I think.
    The more grass I can grow the better

Anyone ask noel how he got on in 2012/2013 when the s&*t hit the fan weather wise , it's these systems where no bank of forage is kept to get over events like this that the whole thing goes tits up but it never seems to be highlighted by teagasc....
    Their great lads at rubbishing claims by anyone who dares feed their cows and push production, but dont seem to research what happens on a highly stocked dairy farm when a severe year weather wise happens and the cost of this to the bottomline

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Anyone ask noel how he got on in 2012/2013 when the s&*t hit the fan weather wise , it's these systems where no bank of forage is kept to get over events like this that the whole thing goes tits up but it never seems to be highlighted by teagasc....
    Their great lads at rubbishing claims by anyone who dares feed their cows and push production, but dont seem to research what happens on a highly stocked dairy farm when a severe year weather wise happens and the cost of this to the bottomline
    I for one would love to see o tooles place in a scenario like 2012/13 stocked nearly 4 cows per he..wasn't there Tuesday but was over a year ago.great operator and all the rest but a real fine line operation that couldn't take too many bumps as regards feed deficits ,****ty weather poor growth etc.
    On your last paragraph above jay couldn't agree more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

jaymla627 wrote: »

One common thread on both farms was taking a 5yr view on profit and production. They didn't do panic and that was clear. In the 2012 NoT wouldn't have been stocked so highly.

He is however growing a lot if grass consistently on a dry farm. Make no mistake that its a farm with lots of feed going into cows al be it mostly grass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

One common thread on both farms was taking a 5yr view on profit and production. They didn't do panic and that was clear. In the 2012 NoT wouldn't have been stocked so highly.

He is however growing a lot if grass consistently on a dry farm. Make no mistake that its a farm with lots of feed going into cows al be it mostly grass

The big advantage u mention there, aside from being good operators, is its a dry farm, in 2012 here it was the wet weather that really hammered heavy ground as while dry ground could be managed wet ground was unusable for parts of summer not a mind the autumn

according to the boards he produced 1450kgsms/ha in 2012 and in 2013 it was 1650kgs/Ms/ha. the sr looks to be 3.6 in 2012 and 3.75 in 2013.

Just pulled it out of the air. Could easily have said 32c

Well if you ever get sick of that farm (and I don't think you will) at least we know you are 100% qualified to take over any of the "pillar" banks, or - should you wish - the finance ministry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

kowtow wrote: »
    Well if you ever get sick of that farm (and I don't think you will) at least we know you are 100% qualified to take over any of the "pillar" banks, or - should you wish - the finance ministry.

Excellent Lol

Got these long cuffed gloves today. Thicker than Mullinahone ones. Won't split half way through milking :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Got these long cuffed gloves today. Thicker than Mullinahone ones. Won't split half way through milking :D

Splitting half way through is a pet hate of mine . Spoils the rhythm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement