Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Bullocks wrote: »
    Does he do a deal with someone for the silage he buys with regards quality and is it much costlier to buy it as opposed to cutting himself? Probably just as handy to buy in if the quality is good enough.
    I suppose there is nothing stopping him buying a bank of silage in the good year to tide him over on a bad year just the same as other lads will make surplus bales from their own farm

He buys standing crop and mows when he decides. He doesn't buy bales

I have silage bought delivered to the yard, we push up and we decide when it's cut

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

He buys standing crop and mows when he decides. He doesn't buy bales

I have silage bought delivered to the yard, we push up and we decide when it's cut

Doing that here a good bit also, the aim is to keep pushing the SR and make less 1st cut.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Doing that here a good bit also, the aim is to keep pushing the SR and make less 1st cut.

Yea Tim, we're going that direction also well considering it anyway. Will have to feed bales to carry more numbers which will require a feed yard/passage to be provided on our farm.

Would do in a heart beat but need to consider if the extra expense will give a return.

Yea Tim, we're going that direction also well considering it anyway. Will have to feed bales to carry more numbers which will require a feed yard/passage to be provided on our farm.

Would do in a heart beat but need to consider if the extra expense will give a return.

The way I'm looking at it is 120 cows isn't going to be much difference to our current 85 cows from a labour point of view. In terms of the SR, our main limitation I think will be droughts 2bh, if you're at a gr of only 15/20 instead of 60/80 for alot of July/Aug/Sept that's going to put serious pressure on any sort of highly stocked system. The main thing that I don't have yet for a high SR are high dmd paddock wraps, stuff we cut still tends to be too heavy, this is a mix of my dad's unwillingness to cut sooner and contractors not liking small numbers of bales.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

The way I'm looking at it is 120 cows isn't going to be much difference to our current 85 cows from a labour point of view. In terms of the SR, our main limitation I think will be droughts 2bh, if you're at a gr of only 15/20 instead of 60/80 for alot of July/Aug/Sept that's going to put serious pressure on any sort of highly stocked system. The main thing that I don't have yet for a high SR are high dmd paddock wraps, stuff we cut still tends to be too heavy, this is a mix of my dad's unwillingness to cut sooner and contractors not liking small numbers of bales.

Didnt Stan cost high quality maize silage lower than 80 did grass silage??.could this be an option for you.its something I'm considering too ,full time sr of 3.5 on milk platform .close no silage off it naby higher .cobtract rear heifer calves and maidens and only take back January before calving.make as many bales as possible from out block and make up difference with maize silage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Unless your going to stock low at around 2/2.2 your going to need to buffer feed at some point, just a matter of when.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Didnt Stan cost high quality maize silage lower than 80 did grass silage??.could this be an option for you.its something I'm considering too ,full time sr of 3.5 on milk platform .close no silage off it naby higher .cobtract rear heifer calves and maidens and only take back January before calving.make as many bales as possible from out block and make up difference with maize silage.

Problem with maize as buffer feed is heating at the face if you are only taking out a bit now and again, although some additives will slow this. Carrying these high stocking rates here with a good number of years and I will go to 5/6 kg meal before I put in buffer, less labour, but you need the right cow to give the return. Milk/feed price ratio a needs to be right too.

Maize is much lower than 80dmd silage for protein also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

If at grass it's no bother grass will have the p, problem is its in too late in autumn to be of much benefit. Good in spring but managing pit is difficult if using small amounts

That's only disadvantage,has to be balanced for p .but as a buffer at grass or for winter milkers on an energy basis it won't be beaten .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

More of a feather lite man?
    The ribbed would be great for cleaning the clusters

What do u wash ur clusters with? Ur lad or ur hands?!!

Winter milk is a great way to drop SR in Aug as you'll be drying that group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

What do u wash ur clusters with? Ur lad or ur hands?!!

I doubt it'd be border bia approved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

How does one get winter milk contract?

kevthegaff wrote: »

One doesn't :) Closed shop in Glanbia anyway. Only outlet for winter cream is Baileys and supply matches demand.

Liquid contract is available on the open market but I don't know availability or price. Stan could confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

One doesn't :) Closed shop in Glanbia anyway. Only outlet for winter cream is Baileys and supply matches demand.

Liquid contract is available on the open market but I don't know availability or price. Stan could confirm

Does anyone know a new entrant to liquid milk in the Glanbia area . Door well closed

kevthegaff wrote: »

Just liquid in our coop Kev,max of 7 cent over base .you could get some but not enough to justify going into winter milk the quantity would be so small .

Does anyone know a new entrant to liquid milk in the Glanbia area . Door well closed

Can contract not be bought?
    Winter scheme closed that I'm certain of

Milked out wrote: »
    If at grass it's no bother grass will have the p, problem is its in too late in autumn to be of much benefit. Good in spring but managing pit is difficult if using small amounts

Maize bales would sort feed out difficulties but price could be prohibitive.

Maize bales would sort feed out difficulties but price could be prohibitive.

Yeah I think it was 10 or 12 euro a bale to get em to come out, not even sure if that was plastic included. Might give em a shout and do twenty or 30 bales and see the price to save opening the pit when cows are still out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

What's the difference between winter milk and liquid milk contracts?

C0N0R wrote: »

Winter milk in dairygold anyway is a bonus over the manufacturing price for Nov to feb on the milk your contracted to supply anything above tgat gets manufacturing price, liquid is a fixed amount of supply a month given a liquid price in dependant of manufacturing price I think, lads might clarify there

Milked out wrote: »
    Winter milk in dairygold anyway is a bonus over the manufacturing price for Nov to feb on the milk your contracted to supply anything above tgat gets manufacturing price, liquid is a fixed amount of supply a month given a liquid price in dependant of manufacturing price I think, lads might clarify there

Glanbia complicate it further, our premier winter bonus based on a winter supply profile from afew reference years period in around 2002 I think, in our case we were under pressure them few years, and undersupplied, so as a result we have no January excess milk winter bonus. It makes any litre of milk over our Jan liquid contract very expensively produced. Liquid milk contract can be purchased, but your excluded from selling any of it for 3years, so you got to be sure you're sticking it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

C0N0R wrote: »
    Liquid milk is for drinking milk and winter milk is for other milk products like powder?

Glanbia complicate it further, our premier winter bonus based on a winter supply profile from afew reference years period in around 2002 I think, in our case we were under pressure them few years, and undersupplied, so as a result we have no January excess milk winter bonus. It makes any litre of milk over our Jan liquid contract very expensively produced. Liquid milk contract can be purchased, but your excluded from selling any of it for 3years, so you got to be sure you're sticking it out.

Ours is based on 09/10 quota year supply, 30% max of that years quota or supply could be chosen as the total for 4 months. Then each month must have a minimum amount with lactose above 4.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Just liquid in our coop Kev,max of 7 cent over base .you could get some but not enough to justify going into winter milk the quantity would be so small .
    how much does it cost j to get into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Anybody know if Lakeland can take a bulk milk sample for worms. does the lab in bailieboro do this type of testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Finally got a door for the dairy ha ( grant inspection due soon,) Picked up someone's old pvc double glazed back door. Bloody thing is waay fresher and better than the house door here ha.
    we got a patio door-an old one- Did you show your milk man what way you would be putting the door in? Ours didnt like the way we had the door in and we had to change it:rolleyes::rolleyes: broke the glass in one side of the door in the process. So we have white pvc in one side.

whelan2 wrote: »
    we got a patio door-an old one- Did you show your milk man what way you would be putting the door in? Ours didnt like the way we had the door in and we had to change it:rolleyes::rolleyes: broke the glass in one side of the door in the process. So we have white pvc in one side.

He comes at 4am, never talk to him! Unless the driver is going to be 25stone+ I can't see what issues he'd have with the door I've put in haha. Its a pvc back door for a house with a seperate panel at the side. I was originally looking for a sliding door, then I realised the gap wasn't really wide enough, any sliding door would have been quite narrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

He comes at 4am, never talk to him! Unless the driver is going to be 25stone+ I can't see what issues he'd have with the door I've put in haha. Its a pvc back door for a house with a seperate panel at the side. I was originally looking for a sliding door, then I realised the gap wasn't really wide enough, any sliding door would have been quite narrow.
    my driver comes at the same time but he rang to complain:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement