Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Got these long cuffed gloves today. Thicker than Mullinahone ones. Won't split half way through milking :D

Wonder who did you sweet talk to get them? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mahoney_j wrote: »
    I for one would love to see o tooles place in a scenario like 2012/13 stocked nearly 4 cows per he..wasn't there Tuesday but was over a year ago.great operator and all the rest but a real fine line operation that couldn't take too many bumps as regards feed deficits ,****ty weather poor growth etc.
    On your last paragraph above jay couldn't agree more

Vaguely remember being on a walk their back a couple of years ago, cows where pushed very hard their by his own admission re grazing out paddocks/no moddecollying, was also discussed how their had been some seriously high culling rates in the years previous to get the cow type he wanted....
    That's a point teagasc don't emphasis either in systems like this and greenfields, in the early years your culling rates are crazy high as you weed out the passangers (in most instances are higher production ladies who simply fall by the wayside as their simply not being feed properly) with the cost of rearing replacement heifers and the obvious advantages of having a more mature herd you have to be very wary going the route of the above draining money from the business in the early years before you get the resilient x-bred who will motor along in this system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

td5man wrote: »
    Wonder who did you sweet talk to get them? ;-)

I was offered them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's good to see the EU taking the current dairy crisis with due seriousness.

They are having a meeting on it on 7th September.

That's why they get the big bucks:rolleyes:

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/agriculture-ministers-to-meet-in-september-on-eu-dairy-crisis/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Finally got a door for the dairy ha ( grant inspection due soon,) Picked up someone's old pvc double glazed back door. Bloody thing is waay fresher and better than the house door here ha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Vaguely remember being on a walk their back a couple of years ago, cows where pushed very hard their by his own admission re grazing out paddocks/no moddecollying, was also discussed how their had been some seriously high culling rates in the years previous to get the cow type he wanted....
    That's a point teagasc don't emphasis either in systems like this and greenfields, in the early years your culling rates are crazy high as you weed out the passangers (in most instances are higher production ladies who simply fall by the wayside as their simply not being feed properly) with the cost of rearing replacement heifers and the obvious advantages of having a more mature herd you have to be very wary going the route of the above draining money from the business in the early years before you get the resilient x-bred who will motor along in this system

Any system change will result in higher cull rates as the herd adjusts to its new environment. an liquid herd going 100% spring will have high culls even if no change in genetics. Know of a 100% autumn herd tgat converted to 100% spring (cold turkey) and a change to xbreds and the whole herd was changed within 3 years (cow wise) was reading in the indo of a change from tad to oad and it took 3 years for yields to return and a higher than normal culling rate.
    On the walk tue it was said the herd started out as bf and from 2000 onwards lic genetics were used so I can't imagine there was much upheaval as 15 years is a very gradual conversion. He did say that due to a 7% empty rate and rearing a lot of replacements he'd sell a lot of cows that doesn't calve with in the first 6 weeks so maybe this is where the high culling rate comes from. This would be more voluntery culling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Have a pile of surplus bales. Would one get away with feeding these bales around seventy five dmd and just 1 kilo of meal in the autumn with grass in the last rotation without losing body condition score? Black and White herd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

browned wrote: »
    Any system change will result in higher cull rates as the herd adjusts to its new environment. an liquid herd going 100% spring will have high culls even if no change in genetics. Know of a 100% autumn herd tgat converted to 100% spring (cold turkey) and a change to xbreds and the whole herd was changed within 3 years (cow wise) was reading in the indo of a change from tad to oad and it took 3 years for yields to return and a higher than normal culling rate.
    On the walk tue it was said the herd started out as bf and from 2000 onwards lic genetics were used so I can't imagine there was much upheaval as 15 years is a very gradual conversion. He did say that due to a 7% empty rate and rearing a lot of replacements he'd sell a lot of cows that doesn't calve with in the first 6 weeks so maybe this is where the high culling rate comes from. This would be more voluntery culling though.

That was a good article in the indo about oad change over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

caseman wrote: »
    That was a good article in the indo about oad change over.

Yeah read about them a few years back in the teagasc magazine. Think they were runner ups in the indo dairy farmer of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Got these long cuffed gloves today. Thicker than Mullinahone ones. Won't split half way through milking :D

Look at him there with his hairy hands.

• Advertisement

Sacrolyte wrote: »

"There are some very hairy babies on Craggy Island, and I think you are the hairy baby-maker! "

Sacrolyte wrote: »

And a reseeding hairline :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

And a reseeding hairline :(

I would have thought that all the cow sh1te raining down on farmers in the pit would do wonders for their hair:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

tanko wrote: »
    I would have thought that all the cow sh1te raining down on farmers in the pit would do wonders for their hair:pac:

Training heifers and midnight calvings make it fall out!!!!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Running at 3.3 this year and have cut nothing off it, tight end of june -had to put in 40 kilos of hulls for ten days and going again tomorrow w ith hulls for 10 or 12 days.will be going down to 2 .8 or 2.9 next year with extra land coming on stream but ill try and do more reseeding instead7 baling.also just got soils samples back and I have a bit of building up to do but theres no doubt when you ramp up the stocking rate you have to be careful about getting everthing done when uts supposed to be done

Ran out of teat spray this morning.
    Feels vert wrong not spraying the cows after milking

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ran out of teat spray this morning.
    Feels vert wrong not spraying the cows after milking
    I ran out yesterday evening, refilled drum and it wouldnt work this morning, got it going by the end of milking, virolac does not taste nice:mad:

whelan2 wrote: »
    I ran out yesterday evening, refilled drum and it wouldnt work this morning, got it going by the end of milking, virolac does not taste nice:mad:

Are you buying it pre mixed or concentrate?

Are you buying it pre mixed or concentrate?
    concentrate

Not anyones day for teat dip, old spray bottle started leaking like mad, I got a brand new spray bottle for the evening milking, and it packed in after 1/2 a row lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

whelan2 wrote: »
    A handy tip to get teat spray flowing again after running dry is to open the droppers at the gun and stick the end of the tube into one of the tubes on the claw piece and the milking machine vacuum will suck the spray untill it starts flowing freely.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Not anyones day for teat dip, old spray bottle started leaking like mad, I got a brand new spray bottle for the evening milking, and it packed in after 1/2 a row lol.

What's your scc atm with the bottle?
    We found it took ages to cover teats right with it

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    A handy tip to get teat spray flowing again after running dry is to open the droppers at the gun and stick the end of the tube into one of the tubes on the claw piece and the milking machine vacuum will suck the spray untill it starts flowing freely.

Good idea I use a 50cc syringe to fill the suction pipe and take off one of the guns starts flowing in a few minutes.

Got a box of them today you could pull barbed wire with them.

why do ye rip the gloves? only problem here is if my hands are wet putting them on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

One common thread on both farms was taking a 5yr view on profit and production. They didn't do panic and that was clear. In the 2012 NoT wouldn't have been stocked so highly.

He is however growing a lot if grass consistently on a dry farm. Make no mistake that its a farm with lots of feed going into cows al be it mostly grass

Does he do a deal with someone for the silage he buys with regards quality and is it much costlier to buy it as opposed to cutting himself? Probably just as handy to buy in if the quality is good enough.
    I suppose there is nothing stopping him buying a bank of silage in the good year to tide him over on a bad year just the same as other lads will make surplus bales from their own farm

I don't like then tbh. Too heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

I don't like then tbh. Too heavy

More of a feather lite man?
    The ribbed would be great for cleaning the clusters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Nothing worse than a burst rubber and its usually too late when you find out

• Advertisement

Nothing worse than a burst rubber and its usually too late when you find out
    speaking from experience are we?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement