Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chit Chat- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

whelan2 wrote: »
    my driver comes at the same time but he rang to complain:rolleyes:

Ha just happened to lose my phone yday....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ha just happened to lose my phone yday....
    ah this guy complains about anything, said i put the tank in the wrong place, roof wasnt high enough...................wanted me to move tank after it had been plumbed in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

ah this guy complains about anything, said i put the tank in the wrong place, roof wasnt high enough...................wanted me to move tank after it had been plumbed in

I'd tell him to fcuk off if he told me to move the door

we put a small window in wall to put pipe in to tank, he said he wouldnt use it, door was opening on wrong side for him, so inside is on the outside iykwim. I asked him before we put door in was there anything he wanted done and he said work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Lock the door the next night hes due and divert your phone to the samaratans:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Complain that he's waking the baby with his 4am collections and that could he leave it till 7am ;)

just do it wrote: »
    Complain that he's waking the baby with his 4am collections and that could he leave it till 7am ;)
    dont mind him coming at that time as the yard is always clear and theres no kids running around.

Check out @WGrayling's Tweet: https://twitter.com/WGrayling/status/398162252387201024?s=09

Didn't something similar happen to some one on here this spring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Anyone built a silage pit recently? Just looking for rough costs, concrete pad with walls each side

Did anyone see the land mobility page in this wks ifj?
    Serious amount of opportunities out there for young people who are willing to work.
    Be something like that of me doing if mam and dad never moved

Also a good financial pull out in the journal this week

Did anyone see the land mobility page in this wks ifj?
    Serious amount of opportunities out there for young people who are willing to work.
    Be something like that of me doing if mam and dad never moved

Willing to work may be the big stumbling block. Was talking to austin Finn last year and he was saying the Young farmers were the main problems he was facing, too rigid in their expectations. The mature farm owners were the ones more open to the opportunities.

browned wrote: »
    Willing to work may be the big stumbling block. Was talking to austin Finn last year and he was saying the Young farmers were the main problems he was facing, too rigid in their expectations. The mature farm owners were the ones more open to the opportunities.

Rigid in what expectations?
    Looks to be plenty land around the country to be farmed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Know a few lads that can talk the talk but don't like farming interfering with there social life.

Weren't willing to move to where the opportunities were and weren't willing to compromise with the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Tbh I wouldn't blame a lot of these lads for setting their expectation levels pretty high before signing into a long agreement to work a farm that they will probably never own.
    A lot of these lads are bright with bright educated friends who are working 35/40 hr wks, with paid holidays, doing lots of travelling getting life experiences etc.
    In farming we're expecting any young lad who's coming in to take over to work 7 days a wk on minimum wage, with the only hope of making good money out of it is to work crazy hrs every wk.
    I think we need to wise up, it's a changing world.
    Work to live, not live to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Tbh I wouldn't blame a lot of these lads for setting their expectation levels pretty high before signing into a long agreement to work a farm that they will probably never own.
    A lot of these lads are bright with bright educated friends who are working 35/40 hr wks, with paid holidays, doing lots of travelling getting life experiences etc.
    In farming we're expecting any young lad who's coming in to take over to work 7 days a wk on minimum wage, with the only hope of making good money out of it is to work crazy hrs every wk.

Totally disagree Dsw.

"He who stands with mouth open waiting for roast duck to fly in, will stand long time".
    Hours and work are the nature of the game...if they can't stand the heat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Dawggone wrote: »
    Totally disagree Dsw.

"He who stands with mouth open waiting for roast duck to fly in, will stand long time".

Hours and work are the nature of the farming game. But alot of the lads in their early twenties (who may or may not have been to college) can see an alternative for just the same or even more reward.

• Advertisement

Hours and work are the nature of the farming game. But alot of the lads in their early twenties (who may or may not have been to college) can see an alternative for just the same or even more reward.

If they have their degrees and are well educated, then why go farming?
    Having well educated friends is a different kettle of fish...

The tiger cubs are a spoiled bunch of kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Totally disagree Dsw.

Did you just make that one up:-).would have to agree with you though, and I think we aint seen nothing yet. I would fore see one man units all being 100 cows plus and thats without spring help or fancy facilities and machinery.that said we all have to start thinking about what aspects to our business can be simplified And change how we operate taking labour into account, sometimes that extra performance isnt worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

I think that part of the problem is that the reward for farming has so often - over the generations - been the preservation of family land, i.e. a very illiquid asset. Rationally or not, many if not most of us have worked every hour for nothing - in many cases less than nothing - consoling ourselves that the work is an investment in the future health and productivity (if not perhaps actual profit) of the land we are working.

It's much more difficult to do this under a share farming arrangement / even a straight lease unless perhaps a very long lease with a strong chance of renewal.

Which, if you think about it, is one of principal reasons farming incomes / profits are often intolerably low.

When your workplace is also your home, emotionally if not physically, the incentive to keep it is strong enough that you will work for nothing to keep it. The fact that the land has been in the family for generations, etc. etc. binds you to the one workplace and stops you (generally) moving somewhere more profitable.

Very romantic when you think of it in the context of Irish family farms, but at it's heart not so different to the Philippino maid working in Hong Kong or Dubai working whatever hours God gives for little money, to keep the tiny quarters she occupies at the back of the family home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Totally disagree Dsw.

Hang on, didn't Milton say:

"They also serve who only stand and wait.." ?

Not really what I meant with regards high expectations, would agree on the whole work to live etc. Know of one lad who wanted to share milk 150+ cows but wouldn't look outside a 30minute radius of his homefarm. A lot of guys wanted the big farms but weren't willing to move when presented with such a farm.
    Also lads in a share milking agreement wanted the farm owner to have zero input. with the owners putting up all the infrustucture I think they warrant a lot of input as it's as much a commitment for them as the share milker. Say a beef farmer converting his farm will have to fork out a hell of a lot more capital than the share milker who only has to bring with him a herd of cows.

If they have their degrees and are well educated, then why go farming?
    Having well educated friends is a different kettle of fish...

The tiger cubs are a spoiled bunch of kids.

Setting the bar pretty low for future farmers there Dawg. Is it no wonder that to be called a "farmer" is still a derogatory term to a lot of people!

kowtow wrote: »

We all need someone to stand in a gap now and again...:)

Setting the bar pretty low for future farmers there Dawg. Is it no wonder that to be called a "farmer" is still a derogatory term to a lot of people!

As you well know there is now a new landscape in the agri industry. Along with putting in the hard work one needs to be a businessman.
    IMHO any youngster wanting to get into business with me better not be talking about quality of life.
    Ffs if someone wants to get on then do the graft. If not there's always the dole/county council etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

kowtow wrote: »

Kudos, sir.

I never expected Milton quoted on a dairy thread:)

• Advertisement

As you well know there is now a new landscape in the agri industry. Along with putting in the hard work one needs to be a businessman.
    IMHO any youngster wanting to get into business with me better not be talking about quality of life.
    Ffs if someone wants to get on then do the graft. If not there's always the dole/county council etc.

We'll have to agree to disagree Dawg. I certainly wouldn't be encouraging my kids into this life of farming that u speak of. The world has so much more to offer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement