Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Interesting that this should come up at this point, four years and seven months after I signed up to Boards. :) As for the origins of my username, the primary clue is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68844853&postcount=70[/url

Oh my goodness, I always assumed the "hurl" part of your username referred to the act of throwing up! :eek: :o. I imagined that "I wanna hurl" was your way of saying that Galway roads/traffic/selfish motorists made you want to throw up! I always have had an overactive imagination though - glad to know the real reason behind your username ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Oh my goodness, I always assumed the "hurl" part of your username referred to the act of throwing up! :eek: :o. I imagined that "I wanna hurl" was your way of saying that Galway roads/traffic/selfish motorists made you want to throw up! I always have had an overactive imagination though - glad to know the real reason behind your username ;):)

Must admit. I'm not surprised at the contents of the post :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

This isn't a fallen tree. It is a sign deliberately placed there by the local authority. It blocks the footpath completely. It demonstrates either incompetence or a disregard for pedestrians. Looked at in isolation it may seem like a small deal, however I think its emblematic.

Emblematic is a good word for it. Isolated instances may be tolerable, but it's so commonplace that it indicates a general disregard for pedestrian safety and access.

Here's an example from today.

Two signs on a footpath, one entirely obstructing the passage of all but the narrowest of prams (and therefore all wheelchairs):

351679.jpg

And what were they flagging? Line painting on Threadneedle Road. Here's where the crew parked their truck:

351680.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

I guess you also love the vibrant traffic and transportation scene in Galway, hence your excellent website and Twitter page. ;)

And one of only a very small handful of posters who are allowed to promote their own personal website at every opportunity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    And one of only a very small handful of posters who are allowed to promote their own personal website at every opportunity

In all fairness, the Galway Transport website provides very useful information for the general public. It's not as if mentioning that website on threads discussing transport and traffic is promoting a business. IMO the website is providing a public service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Emblematic is a good word for it. Isolated instances may be tolerable, but it's so commonplace that it indicates a general disregard for pedestrian safety and access.

Two signs on a footpath, one entirely obstructing the passage of all but the narrowest of prams (and therefore all wheelchairs):

351679.jpg

And what were they flagging? Line painting on Threadneedle Road. Here's where the crew parked their truck:

351680.jpg

Is that a cycle lane they are painting? :)

351679.jpg

351680.jpg
    OMG you poor man. How did you ever manage to continue with your day? Something like that would traumatise me for days.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

there have been plenty of on-thread warnings recently about attacking the post and not the poster, if you're not contributing to the thread then do not post in it. We'll be issuing warnings/infractions/bans from now on

Is that a cycle lane they are painting? :)

It is indeed. Nice and wide it is too. Slightly wider than the width of an average car, judging by the cars parked in it a wee while ago. :)

I'm open to correction, but my understanding is that it will run the entire length of Threadneedle Road, along the West (tennis club) side. If it's not used for the parking of cars and buses, which is the typical situation in Galway, then it will be genuinely useful for anyone climbing the hill, imo.

Here's more of it, courtesy of Irish Water. This is on a 50 km/h residential road:

351734.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Crumbs868 wrote: »

If you have a problem, you know where the report button is.

I'm only include my .sig where the the contents are relevant to the post. (currently a pic-link to my site, and links to maps for the outer bypass (sic) project - including an under-publicized link to a zoomable OSI map)

And I link to the site in posts only to answer to specific questions people have asked, where it's directly relevant, eg "how do I get to the parcel centre on Tuam Rd".

The skills I learned in making that site were useful. But these days it's nowhere near my largest, most popular or profitable website, and I almost never link to the others on boards.

Back on topic ....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Here's more of it, courtesy of Irish Water. This is on a 50 km/h residential road:
    351734.jpg
    Is the other footpath blocked as well? :rolleyes:
    Who made that sign? Both language versions are dire.

This is the most ridiculous of the complaints to date. They are quite clearly digging up the footpath to carry out work how do you propose work requiring a footpath to be dug up can be carried out without closing the footpath?

Both footpaths are blocked. There are no alternate diversions provided.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Both footpaths are blocked. There are no alternate diversions provided.

You can walk diagonally across the road from where the picture is taken.... problem solved.

Simple navigation around a city is a big issue for some it appears however.

This is the most ridiculous of the complaints to date. They are quite clearly digging up the footpath to carry out work how do you propose work requiring a footpath to be dug up can be carried out without closing the footpath?

The sign says "footpath closed -- please use other footpath". On the other footpath are more barriers and a sign saying "footpath closed".

Which footpath should disabled people and pedestrians use while the essential works are carried out?

You can walk diagnostically across the road from where the picture is taken.... problem solved.

Simple navigation around a city is a big issue for some it appears however.

Walk "diagnostically" where exactly?

Both footpaths are obstructed simultaneously, as the image clearly shows, with no alternative pedestrian route provided on a 50 km/h residential street. In what way is that compliant with Health & Safety regulations, to say nothing about common courtesy?

Walk diagonally where exactly?

Both footpaths are obstructed simultaneously, as the image clearly shows, with no alternative pedestrian route provided on a 50 km/h residential street. In what way is that compliant with Health & Safety regulations, to say nothing about common courtesy?

If your intention is to proceed left along the blocked footpath you can easily cross the road from where you are standing and rejoin the footpath on the far side of the road to the left of the works.

The kerb is even lowered so not an issue for a wheel chair.

To repeat:
    The sign says "footpath closed -- please use other footpath". On the other footpath are more barriers and a sign saying "footpath closed".

Both footpaths are closed. Simultaneously. At the same time.

No alternative walkway provided for pedestrians, children, disabled etc.

Irish Water could have organised the essential works in such a way as to keep one footpath open. They didn't.

What Health & Safety regulations allow that, do you think? What version of good manners allows it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Good news story for a change.

Following a prior chat with one of the engineers working at the Lough Atalia bridge scheme, I had a look down at the Moneenageesha Traffic Lights last Thursday week. It looks like an attempt is being made to have automatic pedestrian greens on arms where the cars have a red light.

The green times seemed a bit short but obviously there will need to some tweaking of the system. I was there off-peak and likely there are shorter waiting times on all the arms anyway.

In my view, this is something that is be welcomed and reflects well on those involved.

Good news story for a change.

Following a prior chat with one of the engineers working at the Lough Atalia bridge scheme, I had a look down at the Moneenageesha Traffic Lights last Thursday week. It looks like an attempt is being made to have automatic pedestrian greens on arms where the cars have a red light.

The green times seemed a bit short but obviously there will need to some tweaking of the system. I was there off-peak and likely there are shorter waiting times on all the arms anyway.

In my view, this is something that is be welcomed and reflects well on those involved.

I'm going to print your post and frame it. :)

Just realised that you're referring only to the Moneenageisha lights. It took me seven minutes to traverse that junction a few months ago, and then I had a bus and car drive past me as I crossed on the Green Man.

However, the lights at the other end of LAR also need adjusting. Last year I found that they were not responding to pedestrians at all, and just recently I noticed that the pedestrian request button did not seem to be operating properly. However, pushing the button eventually got the Green Man on both crossings simultaneously, ie on LAR and Fairgreen Road. Does that make sense, in your opinion?

However, the lights at the other end of LAR also need adjusting. Last year I found that they were not responding to pedestrians at all, and just recently I noticed that the pedestrian request button did not seem to be operating properly. However, pushing the button eventually got the Green Man on both crossings simultaneously, ie on LAR and Fairgreen Road. Does that make sense, in your opinion?

I might need to have a look and think about it.

I recall when they put those lights in I arrived at them one morning and there was a technician on a ladder working on them.

I asked him if they ever adjusted the detector loops to respond to cyclists. He looked at me and said "no - these are only for cars".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

I might need to have a look and think about it.

I recall when they put those lights in I arrived at them one morning and there was a technician on a ladder working on them.

I asked him if they ever adjusted the detector loops to respond to cyclists. He looked at me and said "no - these are only for cars".

They should really change that for detection of bicycles also.

I was at the traffic lights near the firestation in Claddagh before coming from dominick street and turning right towards whitestrand. Was stuck at the red light for a full light changes on the main road as the car behind me wouldn't move up for the detector. Traffic was backed up a fair bit so I hopped off the bike and walked on the path until I could get back on the road up a ways.

That really shouldn't be necessary:o

I wonder how long one should let the queue of traffic become before begging the leading driver to move forward and trigger the lights? ;)

They should really change that for detection of bicycles also.

I was at the traffic lights near the firestation in Claddagh before coming from dominick street and turning right towards whitestrand. Was stuck at the red light for a full light changes on the main road as the car behind me wouldn't move up for the detector. Traffic was backed up a fair bit so I hopped off the bike and walked on the path until I could get back on the road up a ways.

That really shouldn't be necessary:o

It would be interesting to do an experiment at the lights at the courthouse which were replaced recently.

I find myself inclined to wonder if the council engineers have also removed time from the cyclists at those lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

I wonder how long one should let the queue of traffic become before begging the leading driver to move forward and trigger the lights? ;)

I kept edging forward to try and give the driver the space to move up but I'm guessing they didn't know it was sensor based

Another bollard on footpath erected at corner of Walshes Terrace & Dyke Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I wonder who supplies bollards to the local Council?

I wonder who supplies bollards to the local Council?
    It's a local company
    Incidentally, they are looking for an engineer to design better bollards/street furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭what_traffic

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's a local company
    Incidentally, they are looking for an engineer to design better bollards/street furniture

I guess the previous engineer got a new job.

Any regulars on this thread have any opinion on the new rules for cyclists as announced today

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclists-face-on-the-spot-fines-for-seven-road-traffic-offences-1.2270816
    Offences now the subject of €40 fines are:
    1. Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration.
    2. No front lamp or rear lamp lit during lighting-up hours on a pedal cycle.
    3. Cyclist proceeding into a pedestrianised street or area.
    4 . Cyclist proceeding past traffic lights when the red lamp is illuminated.
    5. Cyclist proceeding past cycle traffic lights when red lamp is lit.
    6. Cyclist failing to stop for a School Warden sign.
    7. Cyclist proceeding beyond a stop line, barrier or half barrier at a railway level crossing, swing bridge or lifting bridge, when the red lamps are flashing.

• Advertisement

Any regulars on this thread have any opinion on the new rules for cyclists as announced today

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclists-face-on-the-spot-fines-for-seven-road-traffic-offences-1.2270816
    Wont be happy thats for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement