Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling/Walking around the city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Sound fair enough.

The only issue I see with the red lights is at junctions with traffic sensors that do no detect bikes. What are you meant to do? An example is coming from Galway Airport and turning right up to Parkmore. There's very little car traffic taking this turn in the evenings to trigger the sensor on that lane, I've waited here for 3 cycles of the lights before giving up.

When are the "lighting-up hours"?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Any regulars on this thread have any opinion on the new rules for cyclists as announced today

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclists-face-on-the-spot-fines-for-seven-road-traffic-offences-1.2270816

Offences now the subject of €40 fines are:
    1. Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration.
    2. No front lamp or rear lamp lit during lighting-up hours on a pedal cycle.
    3. Cyclist proceeding into a pedestrianised street or area.
    4 . Cyclist proceeding past traffic lights when the red lamp is illuminated.
    5. Cyclist proceeding past cycle traffic lights when red lamp is lit.
    6. Cyclist failing to stop for a School Warden sign.
    7. Cyclist proceeding beyond a stop line, barrier or half barrier at a railway level crossing, swing bridge or lifting bridge, when the red lamps are flashing.

I will continue to obey the first six. Number seven however I'll flaunt at every opportunity as I cycle around Galway.

Wont be happy thats for sure.

Wrong. I am particularly looking forward to seeing some red light jumpers caught. idiots in my book. In fact my main concern is that there won't be enough enforcement to stamp out the the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

2 - 7 are grand. 1 is just too vague.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Any regulars on this thread have any opinion on the new rules for cyclists as announced today

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cyclists-face-on-the-spot-fines-for-seven-road-traffic-offences-1.2270816

I think it would be interesting to see what happens if cyclists stop at red in places like Fr. Griffin Ave/Fr Griffin Rd and watch the queues of cars build up because the lights wont change for cyclists.

I am sure there are other junctions where the same thing would apply. Has anyone tested the new lights at the courthouse on a bike yet?

Likewise at the hospital (UHG) turning right onto University Rd. You wont get a right arrow if you are on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I will continue to obey the first six. Number seven however I'll flaunt at every opportunity as I cycle around Galway.

Erm I dont think obeying is optional.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

J o e wrote: »
    When are the "lighting-up hours"?

From memory you have to turn your lights on during readers dusk and have them on at least until readers dawn ( I may have the terminology wrong or I could just be wrong regardless).

Erm I dont think obeying is optional.

Don't think disobeying rule number 7 is an option in Galway city, could be cycling around all day looking for a lifting bridge or gated level crossing. Unless there's one around Renmore I don't know about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

CramCycle wrote: »
    From memory you have to turn your lights on during readers dusk and have them on at least until readers dawn ( I may have the terminology wrong or I could just be wrong regardless).

Which leads to the question, when is readers dawn/dusk?

I probably have the terminology name wrong, its been awhile. Its the time between dusk and when it is no longer possible to read comfortably by natural light.

Might also be called civil twilight but I am going by memory, civil twilight is from a quick google

This said I am recalling from memory and I could have this completely wrong, my own opinion is nearly all day, from once the low setting or rising sun could cause interference with other road users sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't think disobeying rule number 7 is an option in Galway city, could be cycling around all day looking for a lifting bridge or gated level crossing. Unless there's one around Renmore I don't know about.

Almost: there's one in Roscam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I remember back in the 80's when I started cycling that there was a credit card size card with the times for lighting up. Could have been Garda or National Safety Council or some body like that who issued it.
    Have not seen one in recent years though.

Question 8 is silly, I answered what I knew they wanted but I only wear mine to amuse my mother in law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Wrong. I am particularly looking forward to seeing some red light jumpers caught. idiots in my book. In fact my main concern is that there won't be enough enforcement to stamp out the the problem.

There may be a brief flurry of enforcement by AGS members wishing to make a point.

The following can be seen regularly occurring in Galway:
    Motorists driving without reasonable consideration.
    Motorists proceeding past traffic lights when the red lamp is illuminated.
    Motorists failing to stop for a School Warden sign.

Enforcement is at zero, or at least so close to it as to make no difference at all. What would prompt AGS to suddenly start noticing cyclists doing the same thing? Will they tackle the cyclists while continuing to ignore the motorists?

Interesting that the DTTAS dropped the proposal to penalise cyclists on footpaths. Maybe that's because so many footpaths are really shared spaces, ie cyclists sharing the space with illegally parked cars.

I think it would be interesting to see what happens if cyclists stop at red in places like Fr. Griffin Ave/Fr Griffin Rd and watch the queues of cars build up because the lights wont change for cyclists.

I am sure there are other junctions where the same thing would apply. Has anyone tested the new lights at the courthouse on a bike yet?

Likewise at the hospital (UHG) turning right onto University Rd. You wont get a right arrow if you are on a bike.

I intend to be extremely law-abiding. Not even motorists leaning on their horns will prompt me to risk a €40 fine. I can't afford it, quite literally.

I was wondering when the "ah but the motorists" line would appear. I'm not dissapointed.

I was wondering when the "ah but the motorists" line would appear. I'm not dissapointed.

The unifying issue is not the mode of travel but the level of enforcement.

If AGS is rarely seen enforcing current legislation, what will prompt them to enforce new legislation?

Novelty? If so, that'll wear off quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The Council have modified the junction at MerchantsRd/VictoriaPlace.
    A raised footpath section abuts into the road, to allow pedestrians to cross more safely.
    However there are no signs up that this has happened, and if you're cycling with your view obstructed by parked buses, you may hit it.

snubbleste wrote: »
    A raised footpath section abuts into the road, to allow pedestrians to cross more safely.
    However there are no signs up that this has happened, and if you're cycling with your view obstructed by parked buses, you may hit it.

Cycled through it for the first time today. Very strange design. They have created a major pinch point and as you have pointed out no warning.
    Why not just put Zebra crossing on all 3 arms to the Island that was there?

Here?

Zebra crossings would give priority to pedestrians. You can't be doing that.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Here?

Zebra crossings would give priority to pedestrians. You can't be doing that.

Yep that's the spot.
    I know, the mind set in City is NOT letting pedestrians have priority so as to impede car traffic flow.

Could be traffic calming measures?
    Narrow the road..

I had a very quick look at the setup while passing that way this evening. It looks like yet another pinch-point where cyclists will be squeezed.

Also, it's a T-junction, so there are actually three places where pedestrians may wish to cross. Yet there's only one uncontrolled crossing.

It seems to be connected to modifications to the nearby pelican crossing.

In fact, now that I think of it, these changes have been flagged already: http://seankyne.ie/over-e3-million-for-city-transport-improvements/

And announced again: http://seankyne.ie/governments-e2-2-million-in-funding-will-tackle-some-of-citys-transport-problems-kyne/

I hate these cyclist-squeezing penny-pinching pedestrian "improvements" which are trumpeted by public representatives but which appear to be designed to provide an absolutely minimal increase in Level of Service for the supposed beneficiaries while studiously avoiding any interruptions to traffic flow. Threadneedle Road is another such work in progress, imo.

Just found this by chance:

No substitute for enforcement though. I wonder whether the Greek authorities are as lax about parking control as they are about tax collection. Maybe if they managed both correctly they wouldn't need the "Street Panthers" or the ECB/IMF...

Just found this by chance:

No substitute for enforcement though. I wonder whether the Greek authorities are as lax about parking control as they are about tax collection. Maybe if they managed both correctly they wouldn't need the "Street Panthers" or the ECB/IMF...
    Why isnt there "Galway Panthers"? Galway sounds far worse than Greece judging by this thread

Apart from the sensational headline. What a good idea to pedestrianise Eglinton & Williamsgate. Should've been done some time ago.
    Dflxdf5.jpg?1

Good idea to make the city centre car free.

Bad idea to remove yet another key cycling route, if that's what they're planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Good idea to make the city centre car free.

Bad idea to remove yet another key cycling route, if that's what they're planning.

The article (that pic above is actually a link to it) says there would still be buses and bicycles in the streets.

Doesn't mention the delivery trucks in the mornings, but they would need to be there too. Actually I think some of them are already pushed to be out of Shop St by 10:30, so timing of that could be an issue, too.

TBH, I cannot see it happening: imagine what you would have to do to drive from Renmore to the Cathedral, with those streets closed.

Bus, pedestrians and cyclists will be the big winners if this goes ahead.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    It has reduced the exit from Merchants Road to one lane. Seems to serve very little purpose.

The footpath on SeanMulvoyRd (at the pitch) has the collapsing wooden fence being moved back ~1m and a new fence is being erected. The fence was falling due to the growth of trees and shrubbery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement