Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S05 Ep10 - "Mother's Mercy" - HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Serious GoT withdrawal at the moment! All the other shows I watch just feel a bit hollow now. :(

I'd recommend anyone feeling the same and hasn't seen 'Rome' or 'Spartacus', check them out. Rome is very like Game of Thrones, actually HBO's most expensive show ever, cost several million more than GoT per episode and it really shows - it's a beautiful production full of political skullduggery and violence.

The first season of Spartacus isn't great but Season 2 and particularly season 3 are excellent in my opinion. Not as political as Game of Thrones but has it's moments and some of the battle scenes are fantastic. Season 3 was stellar.

Think now that the books have caught up, it's time to read them! My sister has all of them so the epic undertaking begins this weekend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

something is telling me that grr martin is trolling here a little bit and is himself not so sure where to go, fishing for fans ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Those are great last words for Stannis: "Do your duty".

Duty was paramount to him. Desire never came into it. He never wanted to be King- he simply was King. It was his duty to claim the throne. He went to insane extremes to fulfil this duty.

So, when he met Brienne in the wood he didn't try to explain or negotiate. He didn't ask for the mercy of death or life. He had no overriding desire for either. In that moment he recognised Breinne as a soldier and told her to do what he always demanded of his own soldiers and himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

wp_rathead wrote: »
    What makes you think that?

Just a hunch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Just a hunch

If was Twyin goin "You're no son of mine" it was cause Tyrion's birth resulted in the mother dying and Tywin and Cersei never forgave him for that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

As you said, the whole Nights Watch plot will have no leading man. And we all saw how Melissandre took a special interest in him..and then abandoned Stannis to return to castle black.

Maybe Olly will redeem himself and lead the charge against the White Walkers in season 6 and then take the Iron Throne in season 7 :pac:

I agree though, Jons story arc is nowhere near complete and the Melissandre angle has yet to be explored. Its a bit of a ham fisted way of doing things though. Usually with GOT a lot of shocks or twists you don't see them coming, but I think pretty much everybody is of the view that the Melissandre will somehow bring him back to life. If he really is dead that leaves a hell of a lot of unanswered questions (lineage etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

So Arya has just lost her vision? She'll be blind to the rest of the show?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I think it has to be a red herring. As you said, the whole Nights Watch plot will have no leading man. And we all saw how Melissandre took a special interest in him..and then abandoned Stannis to return to castle black.
    Not sure will the Watch follow Jon after they already wanted him dead and now he's necromancy powered? I'm still not really convinced the Watch would even let her back into Castle Black, she's obvious bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Not sure will the Watch follow Jon after they already wanted him dead and now he's necromancy powered? I'm still not really convinced the Watch would even let her back into Castle Black, she's obvious bad news.

But sure she's already there and IIRC, only a half dozen or so are against John.
    Maybe they'll fear him once he returns from the dead.

Or maybe he's just gone, and Davos takes command of the watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Most of the watch would not be aware of her prior dabblings in magic and such. It's really only Davos (in Castle Black) who knows fully the kind of stuff she gets up to.

• Advertisement

mzungu wrote: »
    Most of the watch would not be aware of her prior dabblings in magic and such. It's really only Davos (in Castle Black) who knows fully the kind of stuff she gets up to.
    Ah come on. They must know she's a witch/priestess of some sort. What do they think she's there for otherwise? Davos would have plenty to say about her too.

Ah come on. They must know she's a witch/priestess of some sort. What do they think she's there for otherwise? Davos would have plenty to say about her too.

They had just left a few hundred wildlings in the day before, whats one witch gonna added to it! Plus they may have (correctly) thought she was delivering a message to Jon Snow, or Davos.

She was part of team Stannis too, they are all technically on the same side. With the white walkers on the rampage she is the least of Castle Blacks worries.

mzungu wrote: »
    They had just left a few hundred wildlings in the day before, whats one witch gonna added to it! Plus they may have (correctly) thought she was delivering a message to Jon Snow, or Davos.
    Just because they just let the wildlings through doesn't mean they don't have a clue of anything else happening. Plus if they're all on the same side, then why would they kill Jon for doing what Stannis had agreed to anyway?
    And if they knew she was delivering messages to Jon that'd more reason NOT to trust her!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,274 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

The next user who posts a spoiler relating to interviews of who may or may not be there will receive a month's ban from this forum; the second user will get a permanent ban...

Yes I'm in a grumpy mode over the simple fact that NO SPOILERS SHOULD EVER BE POSTED apparently is to hard to follow for people...

//MOD

The best part for me in this episode was the fact that Theon Greyjoy is back, or not... We will see :) Omg so many yes or now in the last episode.

DarkoT wrote: »
    The best part for me in this episode was the fact that Theon Greyjoy is back, or not... We will see :) Omg so many yes or now in the last episode.

Theon is one of my favourite characters in the show
    Easy to say he "betrayed" the Starks but gotta remember he was captive and had been taken away from his family as a child.
    I know the Starks were good to him, and throughout the show they are seen as the moral compas, but he was still their prisoner
    He went home to Pyke with the best intentions to help Robb (get the Ironborn to attack Casterly Rock) AND help his family - he negotiated for his father to be given the title of King of the Iron Islands
    His family were bitter towards him so he tried to be someone he wasn't to satisfy them (he even wrote out a letter to Rob warning the Ironborn would attack the North but burnt it as he wanted his families acceptance)
    Not justifying what he did at Winterfell but I do have sympathy for him
    I mean, look at him, He is known as a Good Lover, A Good Archer (remember he saves Bran's life from the Wildlings in Season 1) and is so proud of his name as Lord Theon.
    So what happens to him? Ramsay castrates him (no more banging), flays his fingers (can't use his bow) and renames him Reek

This one my fav scenes of the series, the conversation between Theon and Luwin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Nody wrote: »
    //MOD

The next user who posts a spoiler relating to interviews of who may or may not be there will receive a month's ban from this forum; the second user will get a permanent ban...

Yes I'm in a grumpy mode over the simple fact that NO SPOILERS SHOULD EVER BE POSTED apparently is to hard to follow for people...

//MOD

Whoops, I thought I was in the book-readers thread :o

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Theon is one of my favourite characters in the show
    Easy to say he "betrayed" the Starks but gotta remember he was captive and had been taken away from his family as a child.
    I know the Starks were good to him, and throughout the show they are seen as the moral compas, but he was still their prisoner
    He went home to Pyke with the best intentions to help Robb (get the Ironborn to attack Casterly Rock) AND help his family - he negotiated for his father to be given the title of King of the Iron Islands
    His family were bitter towards him so he tried to be someone he wasn't to satisfy them (he even wrote out a letter to Rob warning the Ironborn would attack the North but burnt it as he wanted his families acceptance)
    Not justifying what he did at Winterfell but I do have sympathy for him
    I mean, look at him, He is known as a Good Lover, A Good Archer (remember he saves Bran's life from the Wildlings in Season 1) and is so proud of his name as Lord Theon.
    So what happens to him? Ramsay castrates him (no more banging), flays his fingers (can't use his bow) and renames him Reek

This one my fav scenes of the series, the conversation between Theon and Luwin

I agree with you, I'm just hoping he can return his dignity, and he will not die... But if he die let it be in bravery. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

I can't stand Theon. I wish Ramsey had just done away with him a couple of season back, tbh. He's irredeemable, imo, and it kinda pisses me off that he's still alive and other really good characters have been killed.

I wish Ramsey to be killed by Theon, but now that Theon is crippled that's impossible in a single battle, but I just hope that there will be some scene when Ramsey will be stabbed in the back multiple times by Theon, and later while he is still alive Theon to remove some vital parts from his body... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

Sansa should just kill them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Am I the only one that hopes Ramsey gets Reek back. Fúck him, still don't forgive him for the sack of Winterfell.. Skin the bastard alive, I wanna see a reek shaped coat on a psychotically happy Ramsey...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

GerB40 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that hopes Ramsey gets Reek back. Fúck him, still don't forgive him for the sack of Winterfell.. Skin the bastard alive, I wanna see a reek shaped coat on a psychotically happy Ramsey...

Wouldn't go that far!:D You're not related to Ramsey Bolton by any chance!;) Only joking but yeah Thion Greyjoy was no angel by any stretch of the imagination.Time does tend to affect peoples recollection of the character of Thion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

seligehgit wrote: »
    Time does tend to affect peoples recollection of the character of Thion.

That and all the stuff that's happened to him, in fairness the guy deserves just a small bit of a break. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

catallus wrote: »
    That and all the stuff that's happened to him, in fairness the guy deserves just a small bit of a break. :pac:

Agreed but Ramsey is a proper badass villian who deserves his comeuppance but not too soon.Such a great character,the darker characters are oftentimes so much more interesting.Having said that I was so disappointed at what happened to Jon Snow who really was somebody who was worth shouting for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I think she was momentarily taken aback when Stannis said "Do your duty."
    He's an injured and broken man. It's out of character for the honourable Brienne to kill him for revenge.

That said, he could well be dead. Only have to wait 10 more months to find out.

Brienne saw the shadow in the shape of Stannis kill Renly.

Maybe she wants to know what the story is there and will keep him alive?

She would see killing Millasandre as being the only way to avenge Renly's death, and we all know what honour means to her!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

catallus wrote: »
    Brienne saw the shadow in the shape of Stannis kill Renly.

Maybe she wants to know what the story is there and will keep him alive?

She would see killing Millasandre as being the only way to avenge Renly's death, and we all know what honour means to her!

I was convinced Stannis was dead but that's given me some doubt. Maybe Brienne will want to use blood magic to kill the Boltons to save Sansa?

J. Marston wrote: »
    I was convinced Stannis was dead but that's given me some doubt. Maybe Brienne will want to use blood magic to kill the Boltons to save Sansa?

Yes, and I think she will swing her sword into the tree, to scare him...

As much as I want them to be alive it be some BS if both Stannis and Jon aren't dead come next season
    If one isn't dead /is resurrected fair enough - but both and it be bit pantomime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Having seen it a few days after everyone else, a few things struck me as off.
    Staniss has been described as the greatest military leader in Westeros. We saw his army as huge enough to instantly subdue the wildlings. How could he be so stupid to lose over half his force in such a relatively short time? Then when he knew his force was so depleted, why keep going towards a hopeless siege? Why were the Boltons even worried about him when they had a massive army themselves? Why even go for the Boltons? Why not get on his ships and head straight for Kings landing?

That all aside, a huge deal was made of the Barathian/Bolton clash all season and when we finally get there, they don't even show the battle FFS! I also wonder if we've seen the last of Staniss, it's very unlike GoT to cut away from someone being killed.

Danearis continues to faff about doing nothing and be boring. She's no closer to invading Westeros than she was two seasons ago. In fact, she seems to be regressing, going from conquering cities to back to Dothraki. They also don't bother showing us how the rest of the Scooby gang got out of the fighting pit from ep.9. Were they not still surrounded by sons of the harpies?

I constantly wait for Sansa to man up and take charge of her own destiny, but lets someone else save her at every opportunity. (also, it looked clear to me that she and Theon jumped into a snow bank, even though the snow was suppose to have thawed)

As others have said, being one of the last Starks out for revenge is what makes Arya interesting. if she really "becomes no-one",then she stops being a compelling character. I know loads of book readers love the House of black and white stuff. Maybe it doesn't translate to screen well but i found it a bit tedious.

Cercei's walk was good, but i just couldn't have any sympathy for her. Partly because she was in a hole of her own making but mostly because she was heading to the safety of the Red Keep. and now that there's someone with balls in there, she'll surely bring swift, savage vengeance down on the faith militant? I'm actually surprised the High Sparrow even let her go. Surely he would have known that?

The Wall. I honestly don't know what to make of this. I liked Jon Snow but wasn't gutted to see him die (not as gutted as he was, in the end). I found him too similar to his brother and father (too much honour, not enough brains) but with him dead and Sam gone to Old Town, we have no POV characters at the wall anymore. (yeah Davos is there but he's hardly going to hang around for long.). So either Jon isn't quite finished yet or they need all the competent people out of the way so the White Walkers can overpower the Watch and breach the wall.

The point of a shock death is that you don't expect it to happen (Ned Stark, Rob Stark). Now it feels almost routine.

Advertisement