Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Honor

Options
  • 18-06-2015 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭

The swordplay looks AMAZING. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Wanna see how it controls the swordplay, is it the right analogue stick as the char locks on so camera control is irrelevant. Also what will lead the longevity, awesome fights will get a bit boring after the 30th match or so. Is there an unlock system for armour/weapons? Any different gamemodes?

It looks good, but as with all Ubisoft games...."Never trust the first announcement/trailer"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Please have a single player element a non fantasy medieval game is what I've wanted for a looooong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

ERG89 wrote: »
    Please have a single player element a non fantasy medieval game is what I've wanted for a looooong time.

I believe it's called High-Fantasy huehuehue

*fixes glasses, uses inhaler*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Damn this looks nice. Like the idea of Samurai vs Knights :D But whats the story with the knight holding the bladed end of the sword and executing the Samurai with the hilt? :confused: At first i thought it was a glitch but the after animation makes it look like it was intended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

That looks fantastic! :eek:

Like the next step up from Chivalry, the combat looks great.

• Advertisement

But whats the story with the knight holding the bladed end of the sword and executing the Samurai with the hilt? :confused: At first i thought it was a glitch but the after animation makes it look like it was intended

It's actually a very realistic and historically accurate move, they'd hold a sword by the blade and smash heads with the crossguard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Links234 wrote: »
    It's actually a very realistic and historically accurate move, they'd hold a sword by the blade and smash heads with the crossguard

Yeah just googled it. Called Mordhau (Murder Strike) it was used in medieval Germany mostly in armoured combat

Learn something new everyday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Damn this looks nice. Like the idea of Samurai vs Knights :D But whats the story with the knight holding the bladed end of the sword and executing the Samurai with the hilt? :confused: At first i thought it was a glitch but the after animation makes it look like it was intended
    YouTuber Skallagrim has a great series of videos on the Mordhau.

Also this:

Yeah just googled it. Called Mordhau (Murder Strike) it was used in medieval Germany mostly in armoured combat

Learn something new everyday :D

Yup! It's because when they've got a heavily armored opponent you can't really slash at them with a sword, so they would turn their sword into improvised warhammers and bash their helmet with the crossguard. That's actually the detail that impressed me the most about the entire video, it's like wow, the developers are being seriously accurate here! :eek:

I may only know of this because I like Skallagrim on youtube :o

Edit: Damnit, K.O. Kiki beat me to it :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Cormac... wrote: »
    I believe it's called High-Fantasy huehuehue

*fixes glasses, uses inhaler*

Low Fantasy actually - High Fantasy is the one with Magic and Elves and Orkses and all the rest :):p Best sick to the fashion tips Cormac :p

The game looks quite interesting alright, the analog sticks to control sword movement seems like an interesting take on sword combat which has never really been done properly I think (see author Neal Stephenson's flopped but successfully Kickstarted project to replicate sword combat in a game).

I also like the idea of mashing up historically accurate warriors of very differing styles and ability into combat against one another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

There was a joke in there somewhere, put it f**ked it up :pac:

Anywhay, 1st thing that came to mind when I saw this was Deadliest Warrior (the TV show, not the game)

And yes the show is a bit naff, but period-weaponry is an interest of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The Mordhau looks so ridiculous they should have just left it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is also going to have accurate sword combat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

From what I've heard, this would be a day one purchase for me.

Looks amazing, and with 3 other friends it just seems like you could have a blast. The main thing is it seems like a really intimate game when you lock in on another player. That's what really draws me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Also you can register for the beta even though no release date has been announced on the home page by signing into uplay and selecting register for updates
    http://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-CA/home/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I hate U-Play, it turns me off playing some of my games that I own through it.

It's even worse when you buy through STEAM, which then opens U-Play...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

tok9 wrote: »
    From what I've heard, this would be a day one purchase for me.

Looks amazing, and with 3 other friends it just seems like you could have a blast. The main thing is it seems like a really intimate game when you lock in on another player. That's what really draws me in.

We should all learn after No Mans Sky and countless other games to wait until the game is out and reviews are published before committing to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hopefully this is worded incorrectly. http://www.pcgamer.com/for-honors-1v1-mode-is-the-deadliest-game-of-rock-paper-scissors-ever-played/

Medeval Chivalry is an awesome game that could do with some polish, I am hoping For Honor is similiar.

Alpha or beta starts today, I on it will post opinion later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Played about an hour of the alpha, the 1v1 mode feels like the original Deadliest Warrior game to me. I haven't mastered the combat, I think each character has a different blocking technique, but it's interesting at least. I'm not a fan of the mindless mobs in the 4v4 mode though, they go down in one hit, are auto-locked on to and barely cause any damage to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

My few games of 1v1 so far have been guys coming at me slashing like crazy from all angles and I'm not sure how to stop it. You don't get time to see where to block and dodging isn't helping. Will be trying to figure it out more after the football tonight but so far it's not what I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

ehhh its not Chivalry.

MP is rock, paper, scissors you can tell what they are going to do by where the sword is. The AI are just cannon fodder to allow you to level up.

1st impressions are its looks nice but has very little depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

dreamers75 wrote: »
    ehhh its not Chivalry.

MP is rock, paper, scissors you can tell what they are going to do by where the sword is. The AI are just cannon fodder to allow you to level up.

1st impressions are its looks nice but has very little depth.

I disagree. There is quite a lot of depth.

Lots of customisation, challenges, loot, specials, combos, etc, etc.

Very promising game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Caught a few gifs online and I have to admit it's piqued my info. Signed up for the beta but if anyone has a spare alpha key I'd love to give it a spin.

Caught a few gifs online and I have to admit it's piqued my info. Signed up for the beta but if anyone has a spare alpha key I'd love to give it a spin.

What system? I've 1 left for Xbox ....... I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

What system? I've 1 left for Xbox ....... I think

PC sadly Enfilade though if it's just a code I might be able to trade it for one on the For Honor subreddit.

PC sadly Enfilade though if it's just a code I might be able to trade it for one on the For Honor subreddit.

No it's invites via Uplay unfortunately and they have to be on the same platform as you.

Anyone having trouble getting games of 4v4 on this? I'm on xbox and can get 1v1 no problem but I can't find a single player today in 4's. Very annoying :(

So the game? I don't do PvP in general so wouldn't be fair for me to judge this alpha based on it, I was expecting more a Left 4 Dead type co-op game to be honest :confused:

The combat is good vs human players though, very good. I can actually see this doing very well for Ubi but has to be your kind of game. I'm on the fence about it at the minute but don't think it will be for me.

Edit: @Techniques07 I had no issues there a while ago, is your NAT showing green up at the top ?

Yeah the NAT is green and my other games are fine online. Very odd because it was perfect yesterday. I'm just gonna have a few duels for tonight and hope it sorts itself out for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Had a few problems connecting on 4v4 earlier today on Xbox Nat was ok, think it was people leaving and trying to emigrate host but just disconnected in the end. You will need 2 have a good group with this as most of the time it was 3v1 I hadn't a chance.

Advertisement