Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[EVENT] Tri-Athy News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Just thinking back, the run exit was poor. I was in the last Olympic wave and had a slow swim, ok bike and really pleased with transitions. Coming out for the run though I lost my bearings and needed pointing in the right direction. Thing was, the route round the side of the White van was blocked with people milling about and the barriers out into the field had people standing chatting in them. Wouldn't have killed them to keep it clear, there were a good few behind me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Any tips for getting the tattoos off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Baby wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭engol

Baby oil. Any oil really.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

First open water swim this year and I tanked. Was freezing waiting(wave8) hit the water and got a serious shock. Picked it up a bit after the turn t1 ok, bike ok but totally numb hands and feet ment a long t2, run was surprisingly nice a lot better than 2013
    Freezing cold on finishing and then the rain came.
    It's always a nice atmosphere in the town,I find it a very friendly event all round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I didn't put mine on. Saw no reason to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Basster wrote: »
    I didn't put mine on. Saw no reason to.

I went with that reasoning also.

I agree with many of the comments above in that I can't help but feel that the event is on the wane. Had an enjoyable race yesterday despite having to wait for ages for the 12th wave. Not sure if it is down to the lack of Trilogy involvement or not but some of the basics yesterday were poor. Transition was opened and hundreds of people poured in. However there were bikers still coming in to T2 trying to head out on the run at the same time. Lots of other examples also. Hope they sort out whatever the issues are as I still like this race, despite it being a far cry from the old 2 day affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Tom__jnr2 wrote: »
    One of the race officials in transition area. My mate was trying to get his bag.

Was it one one of the TI technical official or one of race marshes
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

EC1000 wrote: »
    I went with that reasoning also.

I agree with many of the comments above in that I can't help but feel that the event is on the wane. Had an enjoyable race yesterday despite having to wait for ages for the 12th wave. Not sure if it is down to the lack of Trilogy involvement or not but some of the basics yesterday were poor. Transition was opened and hundreds of people poured in. However there were bikers still coming in to T2 trying to head out on the run at the same time. Lots of other examples also. Hope they sort out whatever the issues are as I still like this race, despite it being a far cry from the old 2 day affair.

When they opened transition and several hundred invaded it was a huge disrespect to people still coming in from the bike. I thought it was a bit of a disgrace with people, still racing (who have paid the same fee) trying to get through to run exit against the rush!!

Another thing that is disappointing is the lack of categories on the results. Its easy to work out as the race numbers are sequenced and therefore are entered into some computer somewhere in accordance with the categories - see the wave lists. I'm sure it will be sorted in due course (either soon by the timing company or later by TI) but there seems no reason that this is delayed, other than "cant be bothered"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Triathlon Ireland should take NS off them. Their numbers would be hit dramatically and then they either up their game or disappear. I thought it was a bit of a shambles really.

Should TI have a feedback loop for events? I dont think anyone who's been at a well organised event would give it more than a 4 out of 10. Its nearly the size of an Ironman event with all the races, if they cant handle it then then it should be scaled back.

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Triathlon Ireland should take NS off them. Their numbers would be hit dramatically and then they either up their game or disappear. I thought it was a bit of a shambles really.

Should TI have a feedback loop for events? I dont think anyone who's been at a well organised event would give it more than a 4 out of 10. Its nearly the size of an Ironman event with all the races, if they cant handle it then then it should be scaled back.

Since they went to a one day event to save money dealing with it all in one go leaves no margin for error and things seem to have gone downhill since the change. There's a lot to squeeze in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Last week reading some reports on Lough Cutra and then thinking about Athy I wondered why races try to fit so many distances into one day. They're both commercial races.

To be honest, even on the bike course as I came back in the runners were out forcing me out to the right on the road. Someone came past me giving out that I wasn't on the left. ''ummm where the runners are dude?'' (I actually told him to f*ck off)

I'd like to do double distance again (and finish it next time) but I don't think I'll be back to Athy unless I plan it early and get cheap entry. I really don't like paying for commercial races - their best interests are never the competitors.

I also hope that the locals who were out marshalling got something decent in those wheelworx bags they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭plee

Well done to all involved with the Athy triathlon on Saturday. Very professional organisation.

Noted from some participants and just confirmed online now that the organiser company has been restored to company status from late April... so hope this is sign of things going from strength to strength for future years

CRO.IE Listing
    Number 437781
    Name TRIATHY LIMITED
    Address ATHY COMMUNITY ENTERPRISE CENTRE
    WOODSTOCK SOUTH INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
    BALLYLINAN ROAD
    ATHY CO. KILDARE
    Registered 11/04/2007
    Status Normal

Effective Date 28/04/2015
    Last AR Date 11/10/2014
    Next AR Date 11/10/2015
    Last Accounts to Date 31/03/2014

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

plee wrote: »
    Well done to all involved with the Athy triathlon on Saturday. Very professional organisation.

Noted from some participants and just confirmed online now that the organiser company has been restored to company status from late April... so hope this is sign of things going from strength to strength for future years

CRO.IE Listing
    Number 437781
    Name TRIATHY LIMITED
    BALLYLINAN ROAD
    ATHY CO. KILDARE
    Registered 11/04/2007
    Status Normal

Last AR Date 11/10/2014
    Next AR Date 11/10/2015

Delusional

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Delusional

only seems to post about the status of the company running it so i wouldn't pay too much attention, questionable motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Nanoc wrote: »
    Did anyone hear what the outcome was from the bag drop incident? Basically the guy standing beside bag drop wouldn't let anyone in to get their bags after the try, anyone who tried he disqualified straight away. One guys girlfriend went to take his bag for him and he DQ him. Was cold just waiting there!

Surely they didn't leave them all as disqualified.

He was a plonker to put it mildly

I was dragged into this towards the tail end of the argument. I don't want to say to much but i agree with the above.

I personally made a complaint about him.

CRO.IE Listing
    Number 437781
    Name TRIATHY LIMITED
    BALLYLINAN ROAD
    ATHY CO. KILDARE
    Registered 11/04/2007
    Status Normal

Last AR Date 11/10/2014
    Next AR Date 11/10/2015

Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

CRO.IE Listing
    Number 437781
    Name TRIATHY LIMITED
    BALLYLINAN ROAD
    ATHY CO. KILDARE
    Registered 11/04/2007
    Status Normal

Last AR Date 11/10/2014
    Next AR Date 11/10/2015
    A triathlon run as a company - probably exactly what is wrong with TriAthy these days!

Seems to be plenty of DQ's at the top end of the field. Latest results show Richard Horton who finished second in the Cat 1 as DQ!!. Wondering if this is an error or what the reason is. TI still have him adorning their report!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Podge83 wrote: »
    Seems to be plenty of DQ's at the top end of the field. Latest results show Richard Horton who finished second in the Cat 1 as DQ!!. Wondering if this is an error or what the reason is. TI still have him adorning their report!

I know two cat A guys were dq'd for crossing the white line on the bike, it was done by a motorbike marshal i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Where are the results with the DQ details?

Bambaata wrote: »

Triathy website - added last night

http://www.triathy.ie/index.php/resultsanalysis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Bambaata wrote: »

Same place as the other results. They're listed on page 15 along with all the DNFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

CRO.IE Listing
    Number 437781
    Name TRIATHY LIMITED
    BALLYLINAN ROAD
    ATHY CO. KILDARE
    Registered 11/04/2007
    Status Normal

Last AR Date 11/10/2014
    Next AR Date 11/10/2015

I am the son of a Nigerian Prince and I desperately need help moving $48 million before the rebels reach the palace........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Shedite27 wrote: »
    A triathlon run as a company - probably exactly what is wrong with TriAthy these days!

Bar club events you'll find most are companies. Sure TI is a company toohttps://search.cro.ie/company/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=405202&type=B
    Type Business name - Body Corporate
    Number 405202
    Name TRIATHLON IRELAND
    Address UNIT A
    GLENCORMACK BUSINESS PARK
    KILMACNOGUE
    COUNTY WICKLOW
    Registered 15/02/2010
    Status Normal

Effective Date 15/02/2010

Protects the stakeholders primarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Shedite27 wrote: »

it was a company race from year 1 ... and the first 2 years it was an awesome race.
    the best field an non drafting tri in ireland has ever seen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sometimes races become victims of their own success. Have only done this once previously my first tri so not sure if it's the same with triAthy but saw it happen with the Dublin Marathon race series. Great races which deteriorated as more and more people started taking part. They not get less numbers than they did during their 'bad' years. From what I saw on Saturday, there isn't a chance in hell I'd do the sprint in Athy based on the current set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

Podge83 wrote: »

Saw this image...... May have been the reason but don't know

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordon_thomson/18128352059/in/photostream/

Are you allowed go out onto the bike course with your race number and race belt still on the handle bars??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

DaveR1 wrote: »
    Saw this image...... May have been the reason but don't know

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordon_thomson/18128352059/in/photostream/

Are you allowed go out onto the bike course with your race number and race belt still on the handle bars??

Should have it on but wouldn't be a DQ offence unless he was asked to put it on and refused or didnt put it on.

Advertisement