Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPRING WEATHER 2015 - GENERAL DISCUSSION

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gonzo wrote: »
    today was the first day this season to resemble summer!

Not in the west! Today we got something that resembled every other day this may, absolute crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Not in the west! Today we got something that resembled every other day this may, absolute crap.

We had a smasher of an evening here in east Galway. The start of the day was cloudy.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    We had a smasher of an evening here in east Galway. The start of the day was cloudy.

Id say we got around 20mins of broken sun here in West Clare. Big contrast!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Id say we got around 20mins of broken sun here in West Clare. Big contrast!
    Was more or less the same here in North Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Disappointing end to May. Its noticeably cool out today breezy with showers. Some sign of an improvement into next week but really anything would be an improvement on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Lashing rain and cold in Galway tonight. It's like it's late October!

I got sunburned this day last year! I remember it clearly. The only burn you would get in this weather is windburn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Carnacalla wrote:
    I got sunburned this day last year! I remember it clearly. The only burn you would get in this weather is windburn.

I burnt myself putting coal on the fire last night! A fire on May 28th :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

In Dublin, May is the sixth consecutive month with average temperature below the 30-year average.

Today it was 9C at 1pm after a hail shower turned the ground white.

Not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

In Dublin, May is the sixth consecutive month with average temperature below the 30-year average.

Today it was 9C at 1pm after a hail shower turned the ground white.

Not great.
    2013 was much worse here (during the first five months - http://www.loughlinstown.com/wxnoaaclimatereports.php?yr=2013) but then July and August were significantly warmer than average here, so not time to give up yet!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Looks like finally getting much warmer next week, particularly towards the weekend :) That was a really cold May and the poor vegetation growth shows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Of course. The Leaving Cert starts next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

+17 uppers over Dublin on the ECM at 168 hours. :P:P:P

ECU0-168_kyo6.GIF

Looks like things will turn warmer and perhaps more thundery at times once we get past the middle of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

+17 uppers over Dublin on the ECM at 168 hours. :P:P:P

ECU0-168_kyo6.GIF

Looks like things will turn warmer and perhaps more thundery at times once we get past the middle of the week.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Gotta love leaving cert time :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I burnt myself putting coal on the fire last night! A fire on May 28th :-(

I can beat that !! Fire lighting on 30th may. It's cosy !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

May have jinxed it by posting that ECM chart....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

vicwatson wrote: »
    I can beat that !! Fire lighting on 30th may. It's cosy !

I had the heating on full blast last night, its usually off about 2 months at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A fecking joke, feels colder than any time since about February. Still have heated blanket switched on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I went for a walk with the dog, well wrapped up and it was horrible, even the dog looked disgusted. We came home wet and cold. Better light the fire to dry us out.It was 10 c. and very windy.

It will take some serious good weather to make up for what we've experienced so far. I know June is the start of the meteorological summer but here's a scary thought the longest day of the year is only 3 weeks away. There hasn't been one proper really nice evening yet and in fact most of them have been unpleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Map showing mean temp difference from normal over the last 7 days. (from met.ie)

350605.gif

Temps here today barely touched 10.0c at their peak and now only 8.4c. Would have been nice out if not for that screaming wind, really slicing.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A bitterly cold December's evening here on the Donegal coast with strong winds and hail showers, everyone wrapped up in winter coats with hats and gloves. After heavy rain from afternoon onwards yesterday and tomorrow set to be terrible the whole weekend looks to be a complete write off

Supercell wrote: »
    BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Gotta love leaving cert time :)

Looking good! And just in time for Summer :)

Today 13C and windy - next weekend 23C and sunny.

The old proverb 'Ne'er cast a clout till May be out' is vindicated yet again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Looking good! And just in time for Summer

The old proverb 'Ne'er cast a clout till May be out' is vindicated yet again....

Not what Met E said tonight great deal of uncertainty about next week and she showed thundery rain showers spreading from the East , temps will be up ok but not assured yet

Aerohead wrote: »
    Not what Met E said tonight great deal of uncertainty about next week and she showed thundery rain showers spreading from the East , temps will be up ok but not assured yet

I like to think the glass is always half-full! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This chart shows the IMT* daily anomaly for mean temperature for the recent Spring. The climate period used is only small (2007 - 2015) but may serve to give a general overview of the daily conditions.

350712.PNG
    Data C/O Met Eireann

Relatively few warm days over the season, with even the notably warm maxes during parts of April being offset by unusual cool night minima.

IMT stats for spring based around this short period:

Mean temp anomaly: -0.7°C (coolest since 2013)
    Mean rainfall percent: 117.8% (wettest since 2009)
    Mean wind speed deviation: +0.8 knots (highest since 2013)
    MeanRH deviation: -1.4% (lowest since 2010)
    Mean Pressure anomaly: 2.5 hPa (highest since 2011)

*IMT index in this case includes the means of 10 synoptic station on the met.ie network, in contrast to the 5 used in M.T's monthly competition.

All data C/O Met Eireann & Ogimet.

New Moon

Looking good! And just in time for Summer :)

Where you getting this from?

Fire lighting all day on the 1st of June. Usually stop lighting it late March. Usually weather doesn't bother me but im starting to get pissed off now!

In 21 days the evenings start getting shorter again!!! :'-(

Where you getting this from?

Well known old proverb :cool:

• Advertisement

Well known old proverb

What does it mean by "cast a clout" ?

Advertisement