Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! HL Maths 2015 - predictions, guesses, Q & A, discussion ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

We should really get this cleared by an examiner but I personally think if the right answer is there, then you get full marks. It like if it asks you to prove some cubic has 2 unreal roots and your left with lets say. 2 +- (sqr root)-16/-2 but you decide to simplify it further. if you did you would get -1 + 2i and -1 - 2i. But lets say you simplified it wrong. The part where the surd is is the correct answer so you will still yield full marks, even though your attempt to show off you can go further failed.

Disclaimer: This may not be fact but my teacher said it and worked in tests i have done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

dazzadazza wrote: »
    I also heard that if you do a question once, put a line through it and attempt it again, they mark the one that gives you the most marks. I'm not sure about this though because I'd imagine that people would be quick to abuse this.

I think it's the same for most subjects in any questions where surplus incorrect answers do not cancel out correct answers. Basically never scribble anything out, but instead put a line through it so that the examiner can still read it and award marks if it's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Confused2015

anyone know exactly which proofs could come up in which paper or is it just completely random?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

anyone know exactly which proofs could come up in which paper or is it just completely random?

Proofs will always be question 6 paper 2 (geometry ones anyway)
    On paper 1 they might ask to prove something by contradiction, i.e root 2 is irrational. They might ask you to prove demoivres theorem by induction.

On paper two, they can ask the trig identity proofs which arent too difficult to learn honestly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057221461&page=2 look in here...

Also in relation to that thread, https://www.folens.ie/sites/default/files/resources/ML5310_AM4_Bk%201_Booklet.pdf apparently you need to be able to find the tangent to a circle by differentiation, so handy to do a few of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Kremin wrote: »
    Proofs will always be question 6 paper 2 (geometry ones anyway)

Just to point out that according to my teacher this doesn't have to be the case anymore. It more than likely will but he said that they could come up anywhere in paper 2 or none at all either.

• Advertisement

Blue giant wrote: »
    Just to point out that according to my teacher this doesn't have to be the case anymore. It more than likely will but he said that they could come up anywhere in paper 2 or none at all either.

Really? I thought they just removed the option i.e do either 6A OR 6B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Really? I thought they just removed the option i.e do either 6A OR 6B

I'm not certain but that's what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

implicit differentiation....... i was told by my teacher at the start of the year it was off our course, and now its back on, Think ill just learn the first 2 steps ang get attempt marks

RoRo979 wrote: »
    implicit differentiation....... i was told by my teacher at the start of the year it was off our course, and now its back on, Think ill just learn the first 2 steps ang get attempt marks

honestly it isnt that hard but yeah im sure anyone who didnt even have a knowledge of implicit differentiation could get most of the attempt marks.. the difficulty is changing dy^2/dx into a usable expression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

honestly it isnt that hard but yeah im sure anyone who didnt even have a knowledge of implicit differentiation could get most of the attempt marks.. the difficulty is changing dy^2/dx into a usable expression.

Found this on the Project Maths site re: Implicit Differentiation...

"Recently two supplements have appeared on the Folens website regarding extra material which they say can be examined in 2015 .

One supplement involves Implicit Differentiation and gives the impression that differentiation of Implicit functions can be examined .

Projectmaths.com has been in contact with the NCCA

This is their reply “It’s worth noting that the syllabus dos not specifically mention implicit differentiation. Thus, it cannot be assumed that students have studied this approach (but may of course use it validly) and an exam question would be set or scaffolded in such a way that the student is able to apply the required differentiation. The specific learning outcome relates to finding the slope of a tangent to a circle, and the type of representation of a circle that is relevant is stated in Section 2.2 (co-ordinate geometry). In a follow up question to clarify the previous answer we received the following”

”Since implicit differentiation is not specified in the learning outcome, the student will not be asked to differentiate x^2 + y^2 + 2gx + 2fy + c. ”"

So, it's not on it, right?

• Advertisement

Troxck wrote: »
    Found this on the Project Maths site re: Implicit Differentiation...

"Recently two supplements have appeared on the Folens website regarding extra material which they say can be examined in 2015 .

One supplement involves Implicit Differentiation and gives the impression that differentiation of Implicit functions can be examined .

Projectmaths.com has been in contact with the NCCA

This is their reply “It’s worth noting that the syllabus dos not specifically mention implicit differentiation. Thus, it cannot be assumed that students have studied this approach (but may of course use it validly) and an exam question would be set or scaffolded in such a way that the student is able to apply the required differentiation. The specific learning outcome relates to finding the slope of a tangent to a circle, and the type of representation of a circle that is relevant is stated in Section 2.2 (co-ordinate geometry). In a follow up question to clarify the previous answer we received the following”

”Since implicit differentiation is not specified in the learning outcome, the student will not be asked to differentiate x^2 + y^2 + 2gx + 2fy + c. ”"

So, it's not on it, right?
    Well according to that it's not, which is good I guess :p.

--heres hoping they do ask it for 25 marks and then they realise it wasnt actually in the syllabus and everyone gets 25 marks by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NLPcrunchy

Anyone know if we are allowed use integration by substitution?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

NLPcrunchy wrote: »

Don't take my word for it but I don't think you'd be marked down for a valid method even if it's not on the syllabus.

But I can't see why you would ever have to use it.

NLPcrunchy wrote: »

Doubt they'd mark you down for it but any integration question that comes up will just be one by following a rule in the tables, why bother with substitution?

Does anyone here have the educate.ie exam papers by any chance?? Need help with a question

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RPR

They have solutions for free on educate website

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Ye what question Kremin?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SB22

Any good sites for financial maths or inferential statistics? Got stick with a sub teacher who might as well be a student . Hopeless at explaining even the most simple things

Ye what question Kremin?

Question 7 Sample 2 Paper 1... mainly just part f....

Actually wait, just looked at the answers and I realised I actually have the right answer...
    I dont understand why it tells you the rate of change of the volume now... it's not relevant at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Can't find a solution this question.... 2011 phase 2 project maths sample paper.

Anyone want to give this a try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

(a)
    a.jpg
    (b)
    b.jpg
    (c)
    c.jpg
    (d)
    d.jpg
    (e)
    e.jpg

Hope this makes sense.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Can't find a solution this question.... 2011 phase 2 project maths sample paper.

Anyone want to give this a try?

Ah..I remember that question :)

Which part?

skippy1977 wrote: »
    (a)
    a.jpg
    (b)
    b.jpg
    (c)
    c.jpg
    (d)
    d.jpg
    (e)
    e.jpg

Hope this makes sense.

Huge thanks! I got the method right, but I don't know why for the length, you divide the first expression by 2?

I've been pulling hairs doing the question for a hour... Thanks :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Yeah so when we take the 1 and the two h's away from 31 we are left with 30-2h....but there are two portions left that represent the length so we divide by 2 to find the length of one. We didn't need to do that for the width as there was only one piece left when we subtracted the two h's and two 1's, if you get me?

f.jpg

skippy1977 wrote: »
    Yeah so when we take the 1 and the two h's away from 31 we are left with 30-2h....but there are two portions left that represent the length so we divide by 2 to find the length of one. We didn't need to do that for the width as there was only one piece left when we subtracted the two h's and two 1's, if you get me?

f.jpg

Dammit! thanks. Just saw my mistake... For some reason I made the grey flap at the end (the 1) a h so I had decimals When simplifying.

Thanks, will read question and diagram more carefully next time. :)

Does anyone have general tips on how to just do well on the exam? I am fairly confident on Paper One, mostly because I have spent the most time on it. I feel like Paper Two will be my downfall. I'm decent at Trig but I am fairly useless at The Line/Circle and Geometry. Any guidance on how to best approach these two sections? I have exam questions done with the help of the book but sometimes I'm not exactly sure how to start them, once I do I usually know what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bah_Humbug

Can anyone suggest definitions I should learn, like things about statistics and stuff that come up in paper 2? They're a pain.. a big list would be nice :)

Troxck wrote: »
    Does anyone have general tips on how to just do well on the exam? I am fairly confident on Paper One, mostly because I have spent the most time on it. I feel like Paper Two will be my downfall. I'm decent at Trig but I am fairly useless at The Line/Circle and Geometry. Any guidance on how to best approach these two sections? I have exam questions done with the help of the book but sometimes I'm not exactly sure how to start them, once I do I usually know what to do!

I was about to help you - until you said you need help with paper 2...
    that's the one I downfall on too....

I can help you with co-ordinate geometry though, I hope! Do you have any questions you need help with? Honestly I expect a question like find the equation of a circle given its centre is on this line, and touches both axes.

I was about to help you - until you said you need help with paper 2...
    that's the one I downfall on too....

I can help you with co-ordinate geometry though, I hope! Do you have any questions you need help with? Honestly I expect a question like find the equation of a circle given its centre is on this line, and touches both axes.

I feel Paper One is just easier to study for. I'm not great with Proof by Induction or Sequences but I can at least get high attempt marks in them.

I'm going to go through my Papers tomorrow and might PM you with questions I'm not sure about, if that's okay? When in doubt I usually just get the centre, radius, slope etc and see where I can go from there! I'm surprisingly good with Stats on Paper Two idk why.

The question you think will come up are the ones I struggle with, how would you approach it? Sorry for all the questions but Maths is such an important subject!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Question 7 Sample 2 Paper 1... mainly just part f....

Actually wait, just looked at the answers and I realised I actually have the right answer...
    I dont understand why it tells you the rate of change of the volume now... it's not relevant at all?

Here is the solution

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement