Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arma 3 Alpha (Beta, full game)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Thanks for the replies, it was annoying me to no end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ok, picked this up yesterday and messed around with it last night. Compared to Arma 2 and Dayz it all seems simular but with upgrades. Where should I start with this, Campaign until I get to grips and then into MP.. Any suggestions appreciated all seems a bit daunting starting over this type of game again....:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

There are still big problems with the opposing AI and their ability to find cover. They've compensated for this by making them bullet sponges.

for this reason I believe you'd be spoiling the content if you played through the campaign at this point.

I assume this is not a problem in multiplayer but I can't say as I'm using a "trial" version until I see a bit of development in a few key areas.

I fully intend to buy the full version but for now I'm staying with arma 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Bohemia announced that they are working on the AI but until then I've heard great things about the bcombat mod:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?171436-OPEN-BETA-SP-bCombat-infantry-AI-Mod

I might give the campaign a go myself now but playing against standard AI is not fun.

As for multiplayer, there are some friendly arma 3 players on gaellords.com who have no problems showing people the basics. We have being playing a lot of wasteland but recently setup a capture the island server and have a Zeus server too. Wasteland gets a lot of criticism but is a great way to learn the ropes in a casual way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Cant speak for the SP as i havent played it yet bit im enjoying the MP immensely at the moment. There was a patch about a month ago iirc that really improved the performance of the game for me so decided to get into it a bit more. Having spent the last 6 months on dayz epoch i was ready for a change.

The gamemodes ive been playing are wasteland and king of the hill. You just have to find the right server as in good regulars on it amd preferably a low ping. Altis life is very popular at the moment also and usually dominates the server list but its not quite my cup of tea,tbf though i have not played much of it.

If you go to the server browser and hit filter and add one of the above to the mission type filter you should be able to find them easier.

King of the hill is fairly standard,3 teams trying to control one area. First to 100 wins. Control is established by having more players in the area. Unlocks and levelling is involved,with access to more weapons,vehicles the more points you get for kills or being in the capture area. Can easily be played lone wolf aswell.

Wasteland is again 3 teams fighting for control but this time its the whole map! Opfor,blufor and independent. As an independent you can shoot anyone even other independents, opfor and blufor obviously kill everyone except teammates. The bonds between teammates are usually quite thin though,so dont expect back up unless your on voip with someone. This game mode is best played with friends imo.

That leads me onto my last point,theres a few irish servers on there if you wanted to join up and talk to a few other boardsies to get you used to the game,check the forum for them. All skill levels accepted afaik and by all accounts a friendly community.Also learn the voice chat controls and how to set up groups,will make life a lot easier!! Hope some of that helps

• Advertisement

Cheers guys, is there any mods to be downloaded for Wasteland and the other games etc

Wasteland and king of the hill are both just custom mission files not mods,connect to one of the servers and it'll download a small file with all the relevent stuff,usually pretty small aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

No.

Find them in the server list and join the game. Everything you need is automatically downloaded.

The gaellords server supports the JSRS sound mod and sthud but these are not required to play

The gaellords server supports the JSRS sound mod and sthud but these are not required to play

Still havent installed jsrs for Arma 3,i have it installed for 2 and really miss it when playing dayz.

Is jsrs for 3 as big an improvement as it was for 2?

While were talking audio the fact that in Arma 3 rather than hearing footsteps etc you hear a reload/swith fire mode sound when enemy players are close is a really cheap mechanic imo and destroys the immersion a bit. Its only small annoyance but one i wish they could find a better solution to.

• Advertisement

JSRS 2.1 is a huge improvement over the default sounds. You can use playwithsix to download it (needs CBA too) or if you're stuck we host it on our server through arma3sync, just look for me on our teamspeak server and I'll give you the details if you want. The mod creator is still improving it so I expect that there will be a version 2.2 soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I have the game a few weeks and haven't touched the campaign or multiplayer. Still concentrating on training and showcase.

I have the game a few weeks and haven't touched the campaign or multiplayer. Still concentrating on training and showcase.

Can easily see how that can happen,there is so much content in the game its staggering(im including mods,steam workshop etc). Also if you have a slower play style and like to take your time in missions they can go on for awhile.

JSRS 2.1 is a huge improvement over the default sounds. You can use playwithsix to download it (needs CBA too) or if you're stuck we host it on our server through arma3sync, just look for me on our teamspeak server and I'll give you the details if you want. The mod creator is still improving it so I expect that there will be a version 2.2 soon

Does playwithsix install it directly?

Arma 2 it was fairly simple to install,just put it and CBA in the folder with all the mods

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

EoinHef wrote: »
    Can easily see how that can happen,there is so much content in the game its staggering(im including mods,steam workshop etc). Also if you have a slower play style and like to take your time in missions they can go on for awhile.

It's mainly down to learning the controls for everything and getting use to playing the game properly. I'm still not great with a m&k so this game is helping me out big time.

It's mainly down to learning the controls for everything and getting use to playing the game properly. I'm still not great with a m&k so this game is helping me out big time.

The control scheme is very confusing alright and awkward at first,once youve been at it awhile though(few months in my case,maybe 3, to be totally comfortable with it)it becomes just awkward:pac:

I definitely think Arma 3 improved this over 2 though. Steep learning curve though

I think Arma games give a certain satisfaction when you have mastered the controls and have decent gunfight strategy and really start being able to kill people. I dont think im great at the game by any stretch but i love that feeling of doing something like killing 3 guys in a squad on your own and realising that all the frustration,deaths,mistaken suicides,bad spawns,teamkills are worth it to get to that point where you can do something like that.

Favourite game franchise atm by quite a distance

Being messing about a bit more tonight. Getting my graphics set up right was a biggy. Dipped in and out of a bit of MP and started the campain mode. Game looks brill. Will check out some Irish servers next..:)

For graphics I use autodetect and then turn off most of the PP & AA Stuff. The problem with Arma is that in multiplayer, if the server is struggling then that affects your FPS so you may notice some stuttering in multiplayer when the server is under load. They have made a lot of progress with server performance recently though so you are joining at a good time.

Was on gaellords wasteland tonight for a bit,nice server. Was on a bit late so was not many people on,got some nice action straight away. Managed to clip a guy in passenger of heli just after i spawned,took his gear as his *friend* flew off. Then managed to kill the guy again and take his ifrit as he came back for his body,so after i asked him did he want it back in global he said he would join opfor from indy so we could team up,great!!

Or so i thought.....

Proceeded to pick him up,drive to store chatting for 20 mins,bought some stuff,grabbed a bit of base building stuff and headed off....little did i know he was biding his time:P

Noticed he had no ammo for the rifle he had so gave him some....bad move:o

He proceeded to turn around and teamkill me:(

Asked him why and he said he wanted HIS rifle and backpack back......my response was you could have just asked:pac:

Anyway,his name was wambo,so wambo if i catch you again you will be getting a bullet to the head regardless of teams,but at the same time i salute your underhandedness!

So ill be playing a bit more on gaellords over the next while,name is EL_Hefe,see me say hello:)

GG,wambo,G f***ing G

PS Who knew underhandedness was actually a word?!? I certainly did not:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Theres no servers for BR when I look, I have all the files and stuff. Anyone know if I need to do anything else?

nvm got it

• Advertisement

So far just playing through the campaign to get to grips with the game. The AI seems ok to play against. Its so different not being able to survice after taking a few rounds from the enemy. In and out of wastelands a bit as well.. Not too much though, getting high pings from the gaellords server.

Anybody know if theres any way to view your recent servers played list on the server choice screen...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Laviski

Glebee wrote: »
    Anybody know if theres any way to view your recent servers played list on the server choice screen...?

view servers in the steam browser and see you can see the list of servers you were joined recently?

in relation to the gaellords server pings are low mainly below 100
    there is issues from time to time for UPC user's

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For graphics I use autodetect and then turn off most of the PP & AA Stuff.
    If it's anything like ARMA2, ensure you have a decent draw distance!

=-=

Have been playing ARMA2 Wastelands on CustomCombatGaming, and wondering how is the Wastelands on ARMA3 is like now? Last time I played, there was only very little crates, and no base parts.

So is there much base parts around, and how are the ammo crate spawns? Also, can you affix explosives to vehicles yet?

Finally, are there any servers that restart every 4 hours or so? Although I thought it would be annoying at first, found it to be a great feature on the CCG servers, as it meant that if you came on late in the day, all the loot and base-parts wouldn't have been mined already by the midday players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Hey Syco, If you like your ARMA 2 wasteland, I'd suggest omg-clan.biz, search omg and you should find it.

They really have the balance right from a gameplay perspective and the scripting is very efficient which makes for very smooth frame rates.

It beats them all hands down IMO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

My favorites are the CCG Wasteland ones. Tanks, gunships, jets & guns everywhere. Great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Im playing arma 2 wasteland more than anything else at the moment. TCF and CCG are the best imo.

I was playing Arma 3 wasteland a while ago and there was a guy in our squad playing with a controller!! He got dogs abuse over that, he couldn't hit anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This is €22.49 on steam at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Cant get enough of Hostile Takeover.(A3) Very polished and impressive capture and hold, usually the servers are full so 30/30/30 face offs.

HC Infantry is a great easy to level up for a chopper pilot, then spend that cash over on the normal servers on tanks etc.
    Can be frustrating but can also be impressively rewarding.

• Advertisement

Havent tried that mode or mod yet,not sure which it is. Ill have a look and see. Sounds very like KOTH though,played a lot of that a few months ago

Been playing a lot of MP Arma 3 lately hosting the server locally. Just me and a mate but the performance is good. Playing mostly DUWS modified,the easier start allows to finish the map in one sitting. Really good fun. Using the AllinTerrain pack as well which is brilliant,adds so many maps over the vanilla

Bout to order a PC/Server build that im going to use to host a dedicated server with random missions,mods etc. Decent i3,8gb of ram and an ssd and i reckon it will be good to go,cant wait:)

Advertisement