Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

What's the story with luke Marshall these days. Ban must be over by now.
    What it the chances of him going to the wc.
    Personally I would hVe him at 12 and henshaw at 13

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Stan27 wrote: »

Ulsters 3rd choice 12, first choice for Ireland, never happen.

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not sure where he is to be honest. I saw on Bakebook that he was at a Ballymena Academy reunion a few days ago with the likes of Bryan Young and Matt McCullough and coincidentally the guest speaker was Joe Schmidt.

Maybe he is injured?

He has zero chance of making the WC squad. I fear his Ulster days are done. Hope I'm wrong because I've always been a fan but I feel he has never been played to his strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

bilston wrote: »
    Not sure where he is to be honest. I saw on Bakebook that he was at a Ballymena Academy reunion a few days ago with the likes of Bryan Young and Matt McCullough and coincidentally the guest speaker was Joe Schmidt.

Maybe he is injured?

He has zero chance of making the WC squad. I fear his Ulster days are done. Hope I'm wrong because I've always been a fan but I feel he has never been played to his strengths.

Marshall would be a great signing for any of the other provinces. With a bit of form he would be a starter. Irfu should encourage moves like this instead of losing players to other leagues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Fair play on the Kiwi's for standing firm on their rules.

It's NZ's version of the gay marriage referendum: country split firmly into yes & no camps. I agree with the decision - imagine if Chris Henry signed for Toulon, but wanted to play the first few games of the next Pro 12 season to fill in time before heading away mid-season to France.

Piutau will be grand, he's a good player, and I doubt he has any trouble finding a little filler contract before he arrives in Bulfast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If he goes to the RWC I'd say he might have some trouble unless a medical joker spot opens up somewhere in France. The earliest he'll be available will be late October but more than likely November which'll be a problem for him in France.

All Blacks don't come cheap either which is going to be a problem in the Pro12.

I don't know about Japan.

So that really only leaves another Super club or England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If he goes to the RWC I'd say he might have some trouble unless a medical joker spot opens up somewhere in France. The earliest he'll be available will be late October but more than likely November which'll be a problem for him in France.

All Blacks don't come cheap either which is going to be a problem in the Pro12.

I don't know about Japan.

So that really only leaves another Super club or England.

I think he'll make the initial 41 AB squad but miss the final cut. Id say he'd just be keen to play and won't worry too much about the pay. A few IOUs on his Ulster wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

Swiwi. wrote: »
    I think he'll make the initial 41 AB squad but miss the final cut. Id say he'd just be keen to play and won't worry too much about the pay. A few IOUs on his Ulster wage.

Let's also not forget that he's down with another ligament injury. He was already a longer shot to make the final AB WC team when that happened. Now with the NZ union effectively banishing him I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss the wider initial team. It's disappointing as he's a classy player and the kind you want at a WC but Steve Hansen has other options that are good (or just inexperienced) and is not a coach who has time for media headaches (which will be huge as selecting him would be akin to selecting an overseas player - during the WC he will no longer a contract in NZ).

He's too good to not find a short contract quickly and if he does miss the initial squad he will be available for substantial period. Japan is an option but their league is pretty short I think (it ends soon after super rugby's season starts) so he'd still have a long break. Of course, next season Japan will have their own super rugby team! Could Puitau go all in on his villain status? There would be some fun newspaper articles for sure!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

stl.ire wrote: »
    Let's also not forget that he's down with another ligament injury. He was already a longer shot to make the final AB WC team when that happened. Now with the NZ union effectively banishing him I wouldn't be surprised to see him miss the wider initial team. It's disappointing as he's a classy player and the kind you want at a WC but Steve Hansen has other options that are good (or just inexperienced) and is not a coach who has time for media headaches (which will be huge as selecting him would be akin to selecting an overseas player - during the WC he will no longer a contract in NZ).

He's too good to not find a short contract quickly and if he does miss the initial squad he will be available for substantial period. Japan is an option but their league is pretty short I think (it ends soon after super rugby's season starts) so he'd still have a long break. Of course, next season Japan will have their own super rugby team! Could Puitau go all in on his villain status? There would be some fun newspaper articles for sure!

his current contract runs till december.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

his current contract runs till december.

I thought it ended in September. I just checked and you're right. It doesn't change any of my broader points though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster team & replacements to play Glasgow Warriors, Guinness PRO12 Play Off, Scotstoun, Friday 22nd May (19:45 kick off): (15-9): L Ludik; T Bowe, J Payne, D Cave, C Gilroy, P Jackson, R Pienaar; (1-8): C Black, R Best (C), R Lutton, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, I Henderson, C Henry, R Wilson; Replacements (16-23): R Herring, A Warwick, B Ross, R Diack, S Reidy, P Marshall, S McCloskey, M Allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

CFhjyuWWMAAz4dZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

This is gonna be a cracker.

I like our team, especially Hendo at 6 instead of 4. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Glasgow 8/13
    Ulster 11/8

from Paddypower

Good luck lads

The tight 5 is the problem. I'd take Best obviously but it would be tight between Tuohy and Gray/Kellock, other than that Glasgow have an edge here. However with the exception of Hogg there isn't a single other Glasgow player that I'd take over his Ulster counterpart. Not that that means a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Back line is better than Glasgow.

Just hope the pack can give us a platform. I see ross has dropped out of the squad. Reidy has been ok when playing....better than ross

Need a good performance from Stevenson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

bilston wrote: »
    The tight 5 is the problem. I'd take Best obviously but it would be tight between Tuohy and Gray/Kellock, other than that Glasgow have an edge here. However with the exception of Hogg there isn't a single other Glasgow player that I'd take over his Ulster counterpart. Not that that means a lot.

TBH it's the props are the problem, especially TH. Is Calum Black better than Warwick? Lutton looked half-decent a couple of seasons ago but this could be a bridge too far, has he started a single game this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Back line is better than Glasgow.

Just hope the pack can give us a platform. I see ross has dropped out of the squad. Reidy has been ok when playing....better than ross

Need a good performance from Stevenson

Stevenson in the row and diack on the bench is a weird one. Ross deserved to be dropped he missed too many tackles but Reidy is to light in the contact area too it's McComish I feel sorry for. He was playing very well until he got dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

awec wrote: »
    I like our team, especially Hendo at 6 instead of 4. :)

Whatever about Henderson's relative merits at 4 or 6 I think most would agree that Diack is a far more competent player than Stevenson.

Has Diack been injured of late btw?

shuffol wrote: »
    Whatever about Henderson's relative merits at 4 or 6 I think most would agree that Diack is a far more competent player than Stevenson.

Has Diack been injured of late btw?

The issue is do you get your best players on the pitch, ie Diack over Stevenson meaning that Henderson plays second row. Or do you let your best player (atm I think he is our best player) play his best position meaning you select an inferior player ahead of Diack?

That's the dilemma. You can argue it both ways I suppose.

There was a third option. Play Diack in the second row ahead of Stevenson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I think without Herbst the concern is the scrum - Stevenson is no magic ball player, but he will shore up that set-piece.

The difference between Diack and Stevenson is not great enough to justify playing Henderson in the row.

The difference between Diack and Stevenson is not great enough to justify playing Henderson in the row.

I think my issue is more with Stevenson than anything else. I just see him make too many mistakes or give away too many penalties for my liking.

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.raineyoldboysrfc.com/Joomla/

"Rainey have pulled of a real coup by recruiting Ireland and Ulster centre Luke Marshall as backs coach for next season."

"Marshall is entering the final year of his contract with Ulster and is keen to build up experience in a coaching capacity."

Sounds like Luke Marshall's playing days are coming to an end...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Has anyone seen this?

"Rainey have pulled of a real coup by recruiting Ireland and Ulster centre Luke Marshall as backs coach for next season."

"Marshall is entering the final year of his contract with Ulster and is keen to build up experience in a coaching capacity."

Sounds more like he's ensuring he has a future in rugby just incase the worst happens. Good on him.

Has anyone seen this?

Heard that earlier. As a.k. says he is maybe just building up his coaching experience in the event that he does have to retire. He was and still is a player of great promise. I hope we haven't seen the last of him. You do have to wonder where he is at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Has anyone seen this?

I hope there is no threat to his career, but given his bad run of consussions, he is probably making contingency plans - good man.

• Advertisement

Game day lads and lasses. Let's put it up to these guys. This is basically a derby match for us nowadays. The spite is beginning to grow between these sides as well. It should be a noisy atmosphere. Hopefully it's a dry deck and we can play some ball.

C'mon Ulster!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement