Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

Buer wrote: »
    Nah, Ulster don't have the most complete squad in Ireland. I think that's a really optimistic statement. They've a really good first team that's capable of beating anyone when all fit and on form but beyond that, gaps really begin to show. Season after season, depth has been their Achilles heel. Few injuries has seen their season

When Paul Marshall, Andrew Warwick, Clive Ross and Bronson Ross are on the bench, I don't think it's a feasible argument. Some of them have performed well beyond expectations but that doesn't make them test standard players.

If I had to be critical, I would think Ulster need quality depth at 3, 7, 8, 9 and 10 for their first 25 or 26 players. Injuries in any of those positions currently leads to a serious drop off in quality. Diack is a really good player but I see him as a very handy blindside as opposed to an 8 although he can cover across back row and lock if necessary.

I think that's overestimating the depth and underestimating the weaknesses of the other Irish provinces.

Of course Ulster are not perfect, they obviously need significant upgrades if they were to ever seriously challenge in Europe as you point out. But I don't think it's a stretch to say Ulster's squad compares well to Munster and Leinster. Our pack is perhaps the weakest but not significantly so and our backs and half backs (when all available) are better. Again depth is an issue, particularly at back row and half back as you list, but Leinster and Munster have equally weak depth at certain positions that shouldn't be glossed over.

All I'm saying is that yes, Doak has done a good job the last few weeks and that's very encouraging, but with the first team pretty much all available he perhaps should be. This is not comparing Ulster to Clermont or Toulon but the other Irish teams. We beat Connacht away and Leinster at home but we should have. We should expect to beat Munster at home next. With our squad a decent coach would be expected to win these games. Doak has done well but in truth he should have. Or am I being too cautious and Doak deserves massive credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

It easier to be the best coach....... When you have the best players !

Doak has his players back at the right time. Other than Stu Olding, that team v Leinster was Ulsters best team. The return from injury of PJ, Henry, Touhy, McCloskey, Henderson, Herbst etc. The Irish players coming back in as well. if no more injuries come along it should be a good end to the season. Ulster should expect to beat anyone at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    It easier to be the best coach....... When you have the best players !

It works both ways Robbie. It's also harder without them!

I'm still looking forward to Kiss taking charge.

We couldn't get Kieran Read could we? He's likely to become the next AB cpt. so will be kept in NZ right?

Warren Whiteley is a great no 8, though maybe not the type of player we need. Pierre Spies, I don't know what his plans are but he's maybe too similar in play to Whiteley. Alberts is the type of guy we should be after, or Vermeulen. Ben McCalman from Aus is handy no8 too.

*crosses fingers for McCaw*

Reed's signed up to 2017 but has a sabbatical option so unless Ulster want to pay big bucks for a couple months he's not as great an option as you'd think. McCalman is doing the same although his time abroad will probably be in Japan like most Aus sabbaticals. You have to remember too that both these guys plus Vermuelan will probably get significant work at the World Cup so will need time off too which isn't ideal.

The perfect SH signing would be under 30 and just missing out on a WC place. For instance Edinburgh got a great 8 in Nasi Manu from the Highlanders. Munster getting Saili is a good example too.
    Dream scenario I think would be a guy like Alberts or Victor Vito. They'd be McIlroy money though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

stl.ire wrote: »
    Reed's signed up to 2017 but has a sabbatical option so unless Ulster want to pay big bucks for a couple months he's not as great an option as you'd think. McCalman is doing the same although his time abroad will probably be in Japan like most Aus sabbaticals. You have to remember too that both these guys plus Vermuelan will probably get significant work at the World Cup so will need time off too which isn't ideal.

The perfect SH signing would be under 30 and just missing out on a WC place. For instance Edinburgh got a great 8 in Nasi Manu from the Highlanders. Munster getting Saili is a good example too.
    Dream scenario I think would be a guy like Alberts or Victor Vito. They'd be McIlroy money though.

Good post, thanks for the information!

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    It works both ways Robbie. It's also harder without them!

I'm still looking forward to Kiss taking charge.

For sure, totally agree and Ulster have done well to hang in there while going through an injury crisis. Glad that the top players are back. The squad looks strong now, so no reason for Doak to complain and results should come.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

Apparently Sean O'Hagan is heading back to England, according to rumors heard by @irishuarugby
    Anyone know anymore about this? Would be disappointing given how highly rated he was when he came over here. Seems having Carolan had u20 coach has really knocked his pedigree.

bradders90 wrote: »
    Apparently Sean O'Hagan is heading back to England, according to rumors heard by @irishuarugby
    Anyone know anymore about this? Would be disappointing given how highly rated he was when he came over here. Seems having Carolan had u20 coach has really knocked his pedigree.

Is he fit? Has he been fit?

Isn't Michael Heaney starting at 10 these days for the Ravens?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭RuPi

Was on the bench for Queens in their last AIL game.

bradders90 wrote: »

If that is true, all I think is that it is very sad. He is a great player, loved watching him play, I hope that it is not injury related.

• Advertisement

Bad news.

Puitau went off for the Blues tonight with a serious looking knee injury. The commentators are saying it's probably a medial ligament. No World Cup for him by the looks of things.
    Just for reference, he's had a serious knee injury before. I think to the same ligament in the same knee.

I guess he's heard the best way to get to know the Ulster boys is at the medical table!

Bad news.

Puitau went off for the Blues tonight with a serious looking knee injury. The commentators are saying it's probably a medial ligament. No World Cup for him by the looks of things.
    Just for reference, he's had a serious knee injury before. I think to the same ligament in the same knee.

I guess he's heard the best way to get to know the Ulster boys is at the medical table!

FFS!

Hopefully won't impact on us, but two injuries to the same knee is worrying.

FFS!

Hopefully won't impact on us, but two injuries to the same knee is worrying.

It was a strain last time and he was gone for 2 months. This may be worse. Hopefully they can convince him to get some surgery done if it would help. He has a lot of time off to do it.

The cameras cut to him in the stands in the 2nd half. He looked a picture.

It was a strain last time and he was gone for 2 months. This may be worse. Hopefully they can convince him to get some surgery done if it would help. He has a lot of time off to do it.

The cameras cut to him in the stands in the 2nd half. He looked a picture.

Well he has 15 months to get it right. At least it isn't a cruciate (I assume).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well he has 15 months to get it right. At least it isn't a cruciate (I assume).

I think he might be a little bit more focused on being fit for NZ than Ulster!

I think he might be a little bit more focused on being fit for NZ than Ulster!

True, a few warm up games at the WC for NZ wouldn't do him any harm:)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

$ausage$ wrote: »

That's Siale Piutau not Charles. Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hagz wrote: »
    That's Siale Piutau not Charles. Or am I missing something?

Have you ever seen them in the same place?

So lads, I've spoken to the misses and with Leinster out of the running for silverware have decided to throw my support behind Ulster for the rest of the season.

Three main reasons being:

1. 3rd fittest bird I ever hooked up with was from Antrim.
    2. Still feel bad over ye losing Ferris.
    3. Not Munster

Of the remaining actual and potential fixtures to be in ravenhill, what would be the best to head upto that I'll actually get tickets for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

So lads, I've spoken to the misses and with Leinster out of the running for silverware have decided to throw my support behind Ulster for the rest of the season.

Three main reasons being:

1. 3rd fittest bird I ever hooked up with was from Antrim.
    2. Still feel bad over ye losing Ferris.
    3. Not Munster

Of the remaining actual and potential fixtures to be in ravenhill, what would be the best to head upto that I'll actually get tickets for?

I believe the Munster game is sold out through the main ticket outlets.

but you can try here http://www.laverysbelfast.com/1a-ulster-rugby-v-munster-match-ticket-transport-package

great bar and they bus you there and back. Bus journey will only take 5-10mins from the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Ulster team & replacements to play Munster, Guinness PRO12, Kingspan Stadium, Saturday 9th May (14:40 kick off): (15-9): L Ludik; T Bowe, J Payne, D Cave, P Nelson, P Jackson, R Pienaar; (1-8): C Black, R Best (C), W Herbst, D Tuohy, F van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Henry, R Wilson; Replacements (16-23): R Herring, A Warwick, B Ross, R Diack, C Ross, P Marshall, I Humphreys, S McCloskey.

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nelson? Where is Gilroy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

awec wrote: »
    Nelson? Where is Gilroy?

Hamstring strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Nelson? Where is Gilroy?

Not scoring enough tries.

That's a ballix about Gilroy.

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think we're going to be away now. Any preference for Glasgow, Wales or Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think we're going to be away now. Any preference for Glasgow, Wales or Limerick?

You don't want to go to Limerick. They've a strong and smart pack which will mop the floor with Ulster's in Thomond.

Ospreys play a fast game too but it's more structured these days and their 1-10 are much more capable of keeping the ball away from Ulster's backs.

You'd have your best chance chance against Glasgow, I reckon. They play fast and loose, their pack are good but their set piece can be wobbly and they tend to make a couple of big errors in each game which would give Ulster good turnover ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Buer wrote: »
    You don't want to go to Limerick. They've a strong and smart pack which will mop the floor with Ulster's in Thomond.

Ospreys play a fast game too but it's more structured these days and their 1-10 are much more capable of keeping the ball away from Ulster's backs.

You'd have your best chance chance against Glasgow, I reckon. They play fast and loose, their pack are good but their set piece can be wobbly and they tend to make a couple of big errors in each game which would give Ulster good turnover ball.

Interesting. So if you the other two teams had bonus points at half time, and ulster were losing by 5 you'd encourage them to throw the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

errlloyd wrote: »
    Interesting. So if you the other two teams had bonus points at half time, and ulster were losing by 5 you'd encourage them to throw the game?

I wouldn't encourage them but there might be an unspoken taking of the foot off the gas if that's the case.

I'm not sure who Doak et al would see as the preferable side, just my two cents.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement