Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Glasgow have sold out Scotstoun for Saturday's game; 10,000 tickets sold is brilliant by their standards. Should be a cracking game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Iain Henderson won't face any further sanction following his red card against Munster. More to follow.

@PRO12rugby disciplinary committee rule that Iain Henderson did not warrant a red card v Munster. Free to play on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Iain Henderson won't face any further sanction following his red card against Munster. More to follow.

@PRO12rugby disciplinary committee rule that Iain Henderson did not warrant a red card v Munster. Free to play on Saturday.

A man of my word: Jaco you receive my full apologies. I stand humbly corrected.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as a neutral im delighted by that decision

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Huzzah!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,426 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Just logged on to see if there was any update. Great news. He did not lead with his head, unlike some of the other incidents that have been highlighted on forum. Why people were so keen to see him cop a ban I'll never know?? I'm sure he is an angry man after all this, watch out Glasgow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wow. I'm shocked and delighted but mostly furious my theory has been damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Brewster wrote: »
    Just logged on to see if there was any update. Great news. He did not lead with his head, unlike some of the other incidents that have been highlighted on forum. Why people were so keen to see him cop a ban I'll never know?? I'm sure he is an angry man after all this, watch out Glasgow!!

As one of the people who was full sure he would be banned, and is very surprised he wasn't, the bolded part is a bit annoying.

No-one wanted him banned, I simply thought he would be.

Do you see the distinction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

It worked!

Ha and people still don't believe in magic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

As one of the people who was full sure he would be banned, and is very surprised he wasn't, the bolded part is a bit annoying.

No-one wanted him banned, I simply thought he would be.

Do you see the distinction?

Total former, some posters were deliberately changing the facts of the what happened to suit their own arguments. The guy led with his arm, and this is what defence was based on, reading the wording of the judgement. People were too quick to jump on his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hmm. I still don't think anyone wanted him banned though...

.. and that's coming from me, I was firmly in the wasn't-even-red-camp!

.ak wrote: »
    Hmm. I still don't think anyone wanted him banned though...

.. and that's coming from me, I was firmly in the wasn't-even-red-camp!

I think Peter O'Mahony was hopping he'd get a ban so he could keep telling Joe about it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I think Peter O'Mahony was hopping he'd get a ban so he could keep telling Joe about it.

That's just a ridiculously silly comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Very surprised at that judgement.

case885 wrote: »
    That's just a ridiculously silly comment.

It's meant to be a joke. Glad you found it funny. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Hmm the roll eyes made it look like your serious, I'll have to fix my sarcastic metre

case885 wrote: »
    Hmm the roll eyes made it look like your serious, I'll have to fix my sarcastic metre

Haha, how could the rolled eyes make it seem serious, the smiliey is even called 'rolls eyes (sarcastic)'.

Anyway, great news for Hendo and hope the guys pick up a win at the weekend!

Interesting debate on UAFC about whether we send our strongest team to Glasgow or not.

The argument in favour of rotation is that even if we manage to win we will probably be away in the play off and that we are better off conserving the energy of our big players for that game.

The argument against rotation is obvious. Send our strongest team and hopefully win and hope Connacht or the Dragons do us a favour.

I prefer the second option but not because it increases our chances of a home semi final, but because if we do end up away from home what better way to go away than on the back of a win in Scotstoun.

I actually think Connacht could pull off a win against the Ospreys anyway, it's a massive game for the Westies. We'd look pretty stupid if Connacht and we have sent a weakened team to Glasgow.

That said I wouldn't be taking any stupid risks with players that are 75% fit. I'm thinking of Herbst, Wilson (although in his case he is either concussed or he isn't), Cave and Gilroy. Losing Herbst would be a big blow mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

bilston wrote: »
    Interesting debate on UAFC about whether we send our strongest team to Glasgow or not.

The argument in favour of rotation is that even if we manage to win we will probably be away in the play off and that we are better off conserving the energy of our big players for that game.

The argument against rotation is obvious. Send our strongest team and hopefully win and hope Connacht or the Dragons do us a favour.

I prefer the second option but not because it increases our chances of a home semi final, but because if we do end up away from home what better way to go away than on the back of a win in Scotstoun.

I actually think Connacht could pull off a win against the Ospreys anyway, it's a massive game for the Westies. We'd look pretty stupid if Connacht and we have sent a weakened team to Glasgow.

That said I wouldn't be taking any stupid risks with players that are 75% fit. I'm thinking of Herbst, Wilson (although in his case he is either concussed or he isn't), Cave and Gilroy. Losing Herbst would be a big blow mind.

If you win is there a potential you'll get 3rd and play Ospreys/Glasgow tho? That'd suit wouldn't it? Rather than Munster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I have backed Munster to finish top. Don't you dare send your seconds to Glasgow.

I have backed Munster to finish top. Don't you dare send your seconds to Glasgow.

It's not what I would do but it's seems to be the most popular opinion on uafc, or at least it is the theory being peddled by those that speak the loudest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

Ulster Head Coach, Neil Doak, has made 12 changes to the side that drew with Munster at Kingspan Stadium for tomorrow afternoon’s Guinness PRO12 match against Glasgow Warriors at Scotstoun (kick off 15:00).

With a total of six players having picked up injuries last weekend and with the province already guaranteed a play off place, only Franco van der Merwe, Louis Ludik and Chris Henry are retained from the side that faced Munster, with Ireland Under20s centre, Sam Arnold, picked for his first start for the province.

Doak has selected a strong bench for the game with internationals Rory Best, Tommy Bowe, Ruan Pienaar, Paddy Jackson, Roger Wilson and Iain Henderson all named among the replacements.

Andrew Warwick is selected at loosehead and starts his first game since January, with Rob Herring playing his 70th game for Ulster at hooker. Emerging Ireland player, Ricky Lutton, starts his first game of the season at tighthead having recovered from the injuries that have restricted his involvement in the campaign so far.

Lewis Stevenson, who recently captained the Ravens against Munster A, starts in the second row alongside Franco van der Merwe, who runs out in his 27th game of the campaign and completes his first regular season for Ulster having played in all but one of the province’s matches.

Robbie Diack, who won his 150th cap for Ulster last weekend, starts at Number 8, with Clive Ross named at blindside and Chris Henry captaining the side from openside.

Paul Marshall plays his 22nd game of the season and starts at scrumhalf, while Ian Humphreys, who is currently third in the PRO12 Golden Boot standings, is selected at outhalf.

Stuart McCloskey, who was named BT Young Player of the Year at the recent Ulster Rugby Awards, is picked at inside centre, with Sam Arnold, who won Hughes Insurance Academy Player of the Year, starting his first game for Ulster at outside centre.

Michael Allen, who will play for Edinburgh next season, is selected on the left wing, with Rory Scholes named on the right and Louis Ludik continuing at fullback.

Props Kyle McCall and Bronson Ross join the six internationals on the replacements bench.

The game is live on Sky Sports 1, BBC Radio Ulster and RTE Radio.

Not available due to injury:

Callum Black – hamstring
    Wiehahn Herbst – toe
    Darren Cave – shoulder
    Jared Payne – ankle
    Dan Tuohy – hip
    Peter Nelson – hamstring
    Craig Gilroy – hamstring

Ulster team & replacements to play Glasgow Warriors, Guinness PRO12, Scotstoun, Saturday 16th May (15:00 kick off): (15-9): L Ludik; R Scholes, S Arnold, S McCloskey, M Allen, I Humphreys, P Marshall; (1-8): A Warwick, R Herring, R Lutton, L Stevenson, F van der Merwe, C Ross, C Henry (C), R Diack; Replacements (16-23): R Best, K McCall, B Ross, I Henderson, R Wilson, R Pienaar, P Jackson, T Bowe.

Ah lads. I had money on Munster finishing top. You's aren't helping.

Interesting team selection. Didn't think Doak would be brave enough to select that sort of team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Sky will be fuming now!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

All part of Doak's master plan. Munster, certain that Glasgow will get 5 points, take their foot off the gas and save their players for an away semi.

Meanwhile, Glasgow, over confident and complacent, capitulate at the hands of Ulster (Ravens).

For precendent, see Munster v Ulster 2014.

Exciting to see a few ANOTHER new young centre getting a start.

I imagine Sky arent particularly happy with Ulster's team mind you.

That must be one of the strongest Ulster benches ever.

15 Stuart Hogg,14 Tommy Seymour,13 Richie Vernon,12 Peter Horne,11 Sean Lamont,10 Finn Russell,9 Nikola Matawalu

1 Ryan Grant,2 Dougie Hall,3 Rossouw de Klerk,4 Jonny Gray,5 Alastair Kellock (Captain),6 Josh Strauss,7 Chris Fusaro,8 Adam Ashe

16 Pat MacArthur,17 Gordon Reid,18 Michael Cusack,19 Leone Nakarawa,20 Ryan Wilson,21 Henry Pyrgos,22 Duncan Weir,23 Peter Murchie

Oh dear! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Ugh. Disappointing to see Ulster content to give Glasgow what should be an easy win and potential TBP. It really harms Munster's chances, but on the bright-side, at least we won't meet each other in the semi.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement