Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭touts

Axel Lamp wrote: »

A year before a general election? To quote Sir Humphrey "That's a very courageous decision Minister". There'll be blood on the carpet at the Labour and Fine Gael election conventions as potential candidates scramble to avoid getting nominated by the party so they can run as independents instead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

touts wrote: »
    A year before a general election? To quote Sir Humphrey "That's a very courageous decision Minister". There'll be blood on the carpet at the Labour and Fine Gael election conventions as potential candidates scramble to avoid getting nominated by the party so they can run as independents instead.
    That news is at least a month old

"The motorway could slash journey times by 30 minutes". I'd say closer to an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

It would also significantly slash times Galway <-> Cork (tied in with completion of M18)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonnyblack

dubhthach wrote: »
    It would also significantly slash times Galway <-> Cork (tied in with completion of M18)

Edge of Cork to edge of Galway in about 2 hours imo if it was built

• Advertisement

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Edge of Cork to edge of Galway in about 2 hours imo if it was built

Edge of Galway to edge of Cork is about 190km's at the moment with motorway's (M18 and M20) all the way ye probably do it easily in hour and 45 minutes. The implications for business interconnectivity up and down the western coast is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Edge of Galway to western edge of Galway in another hour or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Utter disgrace.

Between this and Cork Airport, we really are getting shafted here.

It's very depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Maybe, unbeknown to the said politician, but about to be made abundantly clear to the local politicians, this will become an election issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonnyblack

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Maybe, unbeknown to the said politician, but about to be made abundantly clear to the local politicians, this will become an election issue?

Good point. Could it be that this will be announced closer to the election with major fanfare as FG and Noonan ride into Limerick on a white steed to save the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Good point. Could it be that this will be announced closer to the election with major fanfare as FG and Noonan ride into Limerick on a white steed to save the day.

Hopefully, but Noonan wouldn't "need" anything like this to get elected? As long as it happens I could give a **** what stunts or electioneering practices are done. Galway bypass, M20 & M7 widening. If the government commit to that I'll vote for them.

Noonan will be 73 at the next election, he might retire, in which case he could give sweet FA about it.

De paper reports 94% of people in Cork and Limerick want a motorway between these 2 cities

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/94-of-irish-examiner-readers-in-favour-of-a-limerick-cork-motorway-330173.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

De paper reports 94% of people in Cork and Limerick want a motorway between these 2 cities

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/94-of-irish-examiner-readers-in-favour-of-a-limerick-cork-motorway-330173.html
    I think whether or not people want the motorway isn't a worthwhile question, of course they do. Also from an economic perspective it's an open-and-shut case too.
    So why don't they PPP it if funding is an issue? And don't get me started on austerity. Bout time that nonsense was put to bed.

spacetweek wrote: »
    I think whether or not people want the motorway isn't a worthwhile question, of course they do. Also from an economic perspective it's an open-and-shut case too.
    So why don't they PPP it if funding is an issue? And don't get me started on austerity. Bout time that nonsense was put to bed.

I'd say it's because IW might have to stay on the govt books. It's bananas that a ppp is funding a fuel station in Inch and motorway from Arklow to Beehive, but they can't connect Limerick to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I'd say it's because IW might have to stay on the govt books. It's bananas that a ppp is funding a fuel station in Inch and motorway from Arklow to Beehive, but they can't connect Limerick to Cork.

Arklow to beehive is part of a route which links the two biggest ports. Wild guess that there is equal if not larger aadt in this road than most of n20 route.

Not to say I wouldn't favour m20 but that's their logic. Plus the wexford senior minister etc

Plus the wexford senior minister etc

Not that Limerick or Cork don't have senior ministers ;)

Not that Limerick or Cork don't have senior ministers ;)

Ones that use parish pump I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Noonan will be 73 at the next election, he might retire, in which case he could give sweet FA about it.

He's confirmed he intends to run again. Although I'm not sure he has ever expressed strong views on the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That project was shovel ready and had been for some years. Not comparing like with like. All for the M20 by the way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Arklow to Beehive is a horrifying bottleneck. Also, coming off a motorway, down a hill, round a wide sloping bend to a crossroads (Beehive) was incredibly dangerous and justifies the whole project in itself.

That said, the M20 is dreadfully badly needed. The Buttevant section is on the same alignment as the late 1800s. Sadly, it got canned because the government couldn't afford the CPOs (which they have to do before a PPP can be built). That hasn't changed, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

kub wrote: »
    These bloody politicians sicken me, does the likes of this guy think people are stupid or what, he might want to take a lesson in recent Irish history especially when his party were in Government and the country was awash with money but still did nothing about this road.

Now i know the current crowd are not much better but then with the mess they have had to clean up its little wonder

Wasn't it under the FF government that the project was first mooted, and then shelved under FG? Have we got so caught up in blaming FF for everything that's gone wrong that we're now also blaming them for things they weren't responsible for? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Vanquished

sdanseo wrote: »
    Wasn't it under the FF government that the project was first mooted, and then shelved under FG? Have we got so caught up in blaming FF for everything that's gone wrong that we're now also blaming them for things they weren't responsible for? :rolleyes:

It was indeed postponed by Fine Gael but only because we didn't have a pot to piss in after Fianna Fail flushed the economy down the toilet!

sdanseo wrote: »

They are responsible for it not happening sooner, they were in government since 2002 and they made such a hames of our economy that it might not happen for another 10 - 15 years. How many lives might be lost on the N20 between now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,288 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Deedsie wrote: »
    They are responsible for it not happening sooner, they were in government since 2002 and they made such a hames of our economy that it might not happen for another 10 - 15 years. How many lives might be lost on the N20 between now and then?

1997!

Arklow to beehive is part of a route which links the two biggest ports.

I don't understand this. Are you suggesting someone will ship something into Rosslare, and lorry it to Dublin and ship it out again?

L1011 wrote: »
    1997!

Sorry you are 100% right. 1997.

I don't understand this. Are you suggesting someone will ship something into Rosslare, and lorry it to Dublin and ship it out again?

Possibly, for a shorter trip to London and beyond both in distance and traffic. Also the road is near enough to the capital/commuter traffic to warrant upgrade.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Possibly, for a shorter trip to London and beyond both in distance and traffic. Also the road is near enough to the capital/commuter traffic to warrant upgrade.
    The M11 Arklow to Rathnew scheme is fully justified.

1. It's a narrow S2 portion of road sandwiched between two motorway schemes.
    2. It has a dangerous bendy section with a speed limit of 80km/h.
    3. It has an AADT well over 10,000.
    4. It forms part of an important commuter route and by the looks of things there will be an increase in commute traffic using this road.

If there was any PPP scheme to be criticising at the moment I would criticise the M17 Tuam - Rathmorrissey motorway. Wait til you see the traffic counts on that especially if the N6 Galway outer city bypass has a junction with the existing N17.

Anyway, back to the much needed M20. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Vanquished wrote: »
    It was indeed postponed by Fine Gael but only because we didn't have a pot to piss in after Fianna Fail flushed the economy down the toilet!
    Deedsie wrote: »

kub made reference to Fianna Fáil having done "nothing" about the M20:
    kub wrote: »
    when his party were in Government and the country was awash with money but still did nothing about this road

Now I don't for a second deny that FF made a bit of a mess of the economy, but that was fairly all-encompassing and not a specific issue. Is it Fianna Fáil''s fault that a halt was called? Probably, albeit indirectly, but it's not correct to say they did nothing.

Advertisement