Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Spent an hour last night travelling to mallow from limerick. Stuck behind an artic from O'Rourkes cross to mallow. I didnt go around the back of charleville as traffic leading into the main st was light at that time. It wasnt a night to be overtaking(not many options) so it was just sit back and enjoy the spray!

Works started in buttevant at least but this needs to be prioritised by this government. Probably will be in the next budget to buy votes for 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Travelled from Limerick to Cork and returned on Friday, I have been on that road for nearly 27 years (not every day, thank god) and this situation needs serious and immediate attention, inter city link, my arse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I did Limerick - Cork and back on Thursday. N24 -> R513 -> M8 -> N40 is much handier and quicker. N20 especially with Buttevant roadworks is a waste of time. The R513 is around the same quality as the N20 Croom->Mallow and has less traffic. 50km of M8 makes up for the R513 part

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

pajoguy wrote: »
    Works started in buttevant at least but this needs to be prioritised by this government. Probably will be in the next budget to buy votes for 2016.

I was under the impression that it was State policy to also have some meaningless road works going on in Buttevant, especially on Friday afternoons, to make people think that they are doing some upgrades. I've been driving that road for 20 years and there always seems to be a hold up for road works there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

zulutango wrote: »
    I was under the impression that it was State policy to also have some meaningless road works going on in Buttevant, especially on Friday afternoons, to make people think that they are doing some upgrades. I've been driving that road for 20 years and there always seems to be a hold up for road works there.
    Yep, 9 months of works in Buttevant started as soon as 4 months of works finished just before Christmas.

As if the trip Limerick -> Cork wasn't slow enough without routing everyone through Doneraile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

marno21 wrote: »
    Yep, 9 months of works in Buttevant started as soon as 4 months of works finished just before Christmas.

As if the trip Limerick -> Cork wasn't slow enough without routing everyone through Doneraile
    Should also keep in mind that re-alignment work on the main roundabout in Mallow is due to take place for a few months too later this year..

irishfeen wrote: »
    Should also keep in mind that re-alignment work on the main roundabout in Mallow is due to take place for a few months too later this year..

That really should make some peoples lives exciting!

mrsoundie wrote: »
    That really should make some peoples lives exciting!
    Its going to be hell - I have to pass through the roundabouts morning and evening...

irishfeen wrote: »
    Its going to be hell - I have to pass through the roundabouts morning and evening...

If most people could use it properly, it would help. Unfortunate they don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

mrsoundie wrote: »
    If most people could use it properly, it would help. Unfortunate they don't!

When coming from Cork and driving toward Limerick, I've seen lots of people who go into the inside lane (as if going into Mallow town centre), and do a full circle and onto the hell that is the Limerick road. I honestly cannot blame them!

On the return journey, I am so relieved to see the 'Dairygold' sign on the left, (as I think, we are nearly home) and yet the next few miles are just as dangerous.

In the last 20 years, with the exception of the Mallow-Cork stretch of the road, not a lot has improved between Limerick and Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Yeah, it's true, the road today is basically as bad as it was back in 2000. In 2000 we finally got the Blackpool bypass and what is now the M20 near Limerick. Nothing has been done since then apart from the extremely dangerous 2+1 section. Sure the Croom bypass is nearly 20 years old (now that really was hell having to go through there), and in typical Irish style for the time, was only single carriageway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah, it's true, the road today is basically as bad as it was back in 2000. In 2000 we finally got the Blackpool bypass and what is now the M20 near Limerick. Nothing has been done since then apart from the extremely dangerous 2+1 section. Sure the Croom bypass is nearly 20 years old (now that really was hell having to go through there), and in typical Irish style for the time, was only single carriageway.

The Croom bypass only opened in 2004. While the rest of the road is in an awful state, without the recession the M20 would be under construction by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The Croom bypass only opened in 2004. While the rest of the road is in an awful state, without the recession the M20 would be under construction by now.

Croom bypass opened after Patrickswell bypass ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Croom bypass opened after Patrickswell bypass ?

Limerick to Patrickswell opened in 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The Limerick to Patrickswell project and the Croom bypass both opened in June 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

This is the last missing link right now in the motorway network no doubt.

I would say the Galway Outer Bypass is on par with it priority wise.

How New Ross/Enniscorthy gets ahead of it in the pecking order I can't grasp, yes I know it's due to the batch of PPP's but still.

Is this good to go pending funding? I'm not up to speed on the planning app/ABP for this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Planning App was cancelled before it got through as the government couldn't afford the CPOs at the time. So its well behind the likes of New Ross and Enniscorthy and is miles from being shovel ready. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Planning App was cancelled before it got through as the government couldn't afford the CPOs at the time. So its well behind the likes of New Ross and Enniscorthy and is miles from being shovel ready. :(

Ugh that's annoying, I just saw an article from last year with Varadkar stating that funding for CPO's wouldn't go ahead. :(

What is the general consensus on here? Was it the right decision to cull the process? I find it a waste of money they havnt continued to get it to a tender stage.

Proof is that the PPP model is still working but it's a much higher scale project than the others. General election in the pipeline won't be surprised to see this fast-tracked in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

No, it wasn't the right decision, it was a really stupid one. Sadly, the money wasn't there, although a billion for infrastructure could probably be gotten from the markets cheap as chips.

Has anyone in the know any news on the scheme possibly being restarted? Any word on CPO's or the like?

Thread title may as well be changed to: 'M20 - Cork to Limerick [planning decision pending; delayed thereafter till c. 2115]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055546082&page=20

is worth a look.

Apparently (and not necessarily my opinion), the list of projects, in order of priority, is:

1 - N28 Ringaskiddy - the Port of Cork needs this to be done before it can move operations to ringaskiddy

2 - Dunkettle - busiest junction outside of Dublin

3 - M20? Desperately needs to be done - but there's a lot of wok to be done still before a shovel is brandished in anger. May well be done in 2 stages

4 - N22 - Macroom - Ballyvourney - self-explanatory - awful road

5 - N40 Cork North Ring Rd - realistically, this is quite a way off.

So, the short answer is no. I'd say we'll hear noises around the election stunts, but I'd be surprised if work started before 2019 - and I'm being fairly optimistic......:-((

N28 & Dunkettle should be bundled together cos you can't realistically do the N28 without sorting Dunkettle too, it will just turn the Bloomfield Interchange into a mess.

M20 should be done in 2 stages, southern part should be paired with N40 North Ring Rd, northern part would be paired with M21 Adare bypass.

N22 needs doing the whole way from J3 on the Ballincollig bypass as far as Ballyvourney. How much would that cost?

N25 Middleton - Youghal is there as well, realistically that's years away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

marno21 wrote: »
    N22 needs doing the whole way from J3 on the Ballincollig bypass as far as Ballyvourney. How much would that cost?

Well that's about 42km right there so a nice bit safe to say. I live in the area on the road between the Ballincollig bypass and Macroom and the priority is definitely on the Macroom to Ballyvourney section. That said, the section of the road from Lissarda to Macroom is also a poor enough road. From the end of th Ballincollig bypass to Lissarda at least, the road is relatively wide (Although with few locations suitable for overtaking)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Saw this on Twitter last night from Ronan Bagnall, Cork Evening Echo reporter.
    " Planned motorway from Cork to Limerick is on ice again. Minister refuses to allow it go to planning. Significant setback"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The money must not be there! Disappointing but this will take a few years, so planning should be going in now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Mc Love wrote: »
    The money must not be there! Disappointing but this will take a few years, so planning should be going in now!

The money would be there if the powers that be were even remotely motivated to find it.

Could very well depend on what Europe allows the government to borrow in terms of Budget 16.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well, the economic situation is improving. Hopefully the government will implement some sort of multi annual infrastructure strategy much like the ill timed transport 21 which would have funds set aside for this. The election is coming up and I would not be surprised to see something similar appear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

jank wrote: »
    Well, the economic situation is improving. Hopefully the government will implement some sort of multi annual infrastructure strategy much like the ill timed transport 21 which would have funds set aside for this. The election is coming up and I would not be surprised to see something similar appear.

There's probably not much in the line of votes in Cork for the Government...

• Advertisement

jgbyr wrote: »
    Saw this on Twitter last night from Ronan Bagnall, Cork Evening Echo reporter.
    " Planned motorway from Cork to Limerick is on ice again. Minister refuses to allow it go to planning. Significant setback"
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/cork-to-limerick-motorway-shelved/

Advertisement